Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I have some Beasts, High Elves, and Warriors of Chaos so I appear to be in a good position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lucinice posted:

Does it seem like the new chaos warriors for AOS will fit on the new listed base size?

They are on 30 by 30s so yes they look to fit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just here for the Beastmen.

:hehe:

Dragon Ogres are part of the Beastmen again so you have extra options.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Great Book of Grudges gives all Base Sizes it seems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsMCDM_84l0

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

putting this in the form of a video is extremely obnoxious

I just pause the video and jump to different sections. I don't need to listen to him, I can just look at the images.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
A good new rule is that you can now wheel and maneuver through your own units.

This for example would have been impossible in the older versions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Leperflesh posted:

They're really not worth paying significant money for.

Here's six of them, with my very bad paint job from 2013, for a closeup look. While my painting isn't great, I didn't fill detail - this is how much detail the metal models had.

mostly OK but the skull faces are sort of molten. And you can see the sculptures are using different heads and weapons on the same three bodies.

Yeah looks like they would make decent champions for some Skeletons or Tomb Guard.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Issaries posted:

Anyone noticed what the 'Impetious' special rule on Orcs and goblins do?
I assume it's the animosity rule replacement.

I think it's they have to charge if they can if they fail a leadership test, with some characters being able to negate it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Leperflesh posted:

OK I got in on the US store and the main rulebook is out of stock. Ravening Hordes is still available to preorder but I'm not preordering it without the rulebook so welp.

Also a box of three Ushabti is $85, lmao

Rulebook will be available via Epub.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Robviously posted:

Am I missing where to find the old army rules or am I misthinking that they were going to give us rules for forces other than Brets/Skeles via pdf?

That comes once the pre order period is over along with the core rulebook.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

3 Action Economist posted:

As mentioned, the size will be important, bit it's much easier to find movement trays that will take round bases than getting adapters to turn every single square base into a circle, since AoS doesn't use trays.

Though Trays can be nice in AoS.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
So comparing a basic Empire Soldier with a basic Chaos Warrior and no upgrades.

Empire Soldier
Move 4 WS 3 BS 3 S 3 T 3 W 1 I 1 A 1 LD 7 Points 5
Equipment: Hand Weapon and Light Armour.

Chaos Warrior
Move 4 WS 5 BS 3 S 4 T 4 W 1 I 4 A 1 LD 8 Points 13
Equipment: Hand Weapon and Heavy Armour.
Ensorcelled weapon makes the Hand Weapon Magic and AP 1, and Mark of Chaos Undivided lets them reroll failed Panic, Fear, or Terror tests.

Overall I am liking the look of Chaos Warriors. Looking forward to seeing all the customization

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lostconfused posted:

Empire Soldiers should be compared to chaos marauders, warriors are the next step up in infantry, imo.

I just wanted to check how what are likely to be my default troops compared to the baseline trained human. I don’t have any Marauders.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack B Nimble posted:

I would have bought the Bretonian box on the optimistic hope that there will be a scene at the local store, but it's out of stock already? I guess that's money saved for me, but I've been playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance and re-reading Ken Foullet books so I was really ready to paint some early medieval knights and infantry.

Only Temp out of stock. These Boxes are planned to stick around.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jack B Nimble posted:

Im really glad to hear that. I'd saw it phrased that way on the site but I thought that may just be a default phrasing, because it's not like the site would have updated the page with "They're all on eBay bro".

They actually do have a phrase for that. No Longer Sold Online.

Also looks like Modern Chaos Warriors do Rank up decently (not mine)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Theridons I think make excellent Minotaur Proxies.

Also man I wish I had gotten that Box set there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

Also basically all of the old VC units still exist in AOS, except for the unique characters.

Who are currently all dead in the current time period.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dishwasherlove posted:

Just don't look too closely at the Minotaurs muscles and you'll be right. The Centigors never got a non metal version either. Doombull is great though. And the new Herdstone terrain from AoS.

Bunch of people put mino heads on this guys

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Saw some pictures, and Cathey and Kislev got pretty big sections. I imagine they will come eventually.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

I saw the rules for the Bretonnian and Tomb Kings alternate builds and they are not just rearranging a few things. They get access to some new units that are explicitly meant to be conversion opportunities or counts-as. They have little designer's notes telling you what they would suggest. Some, like the venerable ushabti, are as simple as painting them a little nicer. Others, like the tomb guard chariots, will require conversion work. Some regular units aren't allowed at all or get mixed up in different slots. They also have more rules than I was expecting. It's not just one little bonus. Oh, and there are magic items tied to each. They're really cool. Some really strong narrative elements and converters will have a field day. Definitely looking forward to the Empire versions.

I will say though, for anyone worried that this makes the little splatbooks a mandatory purchase, I don't see these builds as that advantageous over a generic list. Yeah, if you want to focus on chariots, go with the Nehekharan Royal Host. Just be aware that you lose access to some pretty important stuff and suddenly your general and heirophant are the same model. You're also required to take 33% core instead of the usual 25%. I completely forgot to mention these things can change your army composition like that.

Yeah I saw the take Tomb King as Heirophant rule, which could be nice as Tomb Kings are tougher than Liches.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are some strong rumour that Chorfs are coming back for AoS. Though I would not expect them too soon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

That guy rules so hard. Awesome job on the paint. Do the Chaos Dwarves on tabletop have a bunch of orc units like they do in Total war?

For their first book while you had to have one unit of Chaos Dwarf Warriors and however much you wanted of anything else.

But Chaos Dwarf Warriors and Blunderbusses were 14 points a model (15 if you gave the Blunderbusses a shield). Meanwhile Hobgoblins were 5 points a model, Goblins 2.5, Orcs 5.5. Hobgoblin Wolf Riders at 14 points were the only things as expensive as the Chaos Dwarf Infantry.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dreylad posted:

Those are some awesome elves.

I wonder what high elf units will make it into TOW. Maybe some of the wilder 8th edition stuff like phoenixes might not make it in.

Here is the High Elf units with base sizes.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 8, 2024

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here full rosters for everything in Forces of Fantasy, will do the Hordes in a bit.

Dwarfen Mountain Holds posted:

Chracters
Dwarf King, Anvil of Doom, Runelord, Thane, Runesmith, Daemon Slayer, Dragon Slayer, Engineer.
Core
Dwarf Warriors, Quarrelers, Thunderers.
Special
Longbeards, Ironbreakers, Miners, Slayers, Gyrocopters, Hammerers, Bolt Thrower, Grudge Thrower, Cannon.
Rare
Rangers, Irondrakes, Gryobombers, Organ Gun, Flame Cannon.

Empire of Man posted:

Chracters
Empire General, Grand Master, Lector of Sigmar, High Priest of Ulric, Empire Captain, Wizard Lord, Master Mage, Chapter Master, Witch Hunter, Priest of Sigmar, Priest of Ulric, Empire Engineer. Lector on War Altar
Core
State Troops, Veteran State Troops, State Missile Troops, Free Company Militia, Empire Archers, Empire Knights.
Special
Inner Circle Knights, Empire Greatswords, Pistoliers, Outriders, Demigryph Knights, Great Cannon, Mortar.
Rare
Flagellants, Hellblaster Volley Gun, Helstorm Rocket Battery, Steam Tank.
Brettonnia is taken care for me.

Wood Elf Realms posted:

Chracters
Glade Lord, Spellweaver, Treeman Ancient, Glade Captain, Spellsinger, Shadowdancer, Waystalker, Branchwraith.
Core
Glade Guard, Eternal Guard, Dryads, Glad Riders.
Special
Deepwood Scouts, Wildwood Rangers, Wardancers, Sisters of the Thorn, Wild Riders, Warhawk Riders, Tree Kin.
Rare
Treemen, Waywatchers, Great Eagles.

High Elf Realms posted:

Chracters
High Elf Prince, Archmage, Dragon Mage, Handmaiden of the Everqueen, High Elf Noble, High Elf Mage.
Core
Elven Spearmen, Elven Archers, Lothern Sea Guard, Ellyrian Reavers, Silver Helms.
Special
White Lions of Chrace, Swordmasters of Hoeath, Phoenix Guard, Shadow Warriors, Tiranoc Chariots, Dragon Princes.
Rare
Sisters of Avelorn, Lion Chariot, Lothern Sky Cutter, Flamespire Phoenix, Frostheart Phoenix, Great Eagles, Eagle Claw Bolt Throwers

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here are the Ravenous Hordes Rosters.

Orc and Goblin Tribes posted:

Characters
Black Orc Warboss, Orc Warboss, Orc Weirdnob, Black Orc Bigboss, Orc Bigboss, Orc Weirdboy, Goblin Boss, Goblin Shaman, Night Goblin Boss, Night Goblin Shaman.
Core
Orc Mob, Goblin Mob, Snotling Mob, Goblin Spider Riders, Goblin Wolf Riders. Night Goblin Mob, Squig Herd.
Special
Black Orc Mob, Troll Mob, Orc Boar Boys, Orc Boar Chariots, Goblin Wolf Chariot, Snotling Pump Wagon, Night Goblin Squig Hoppers, Goblin Bolt Throwers.
Rare
Arachnarok Spider, Giant, Mangler Squigs, Goblin Rock Lobba, Doom Diver Catapult.

Warriors of Chaos posted:

Characters
Chaos Lord, Daemon Prince, Exalted Champion, Sorcerer Lord, Aspiring Champion, Exalted Sorcerer.
Core
Chaos Warriors, Marauders, Forsaken, Chaos Knights, Marauder Horsemen, Chaos Warhounds.
Special
Chosen Chaos Warriors, Chosen Chaos Knights, Chaos Ogres, Chaos Trolls, Chaos Spawn, Chaos Chariots, Chimaerae, Dragon Ogres
Rare
Gorebeast Chariot, Hellcannon, Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, Chaos Giant
Man I typed Chaos a lot.

Beastmen Brayherds posted:

Characters
Beastlord, Great Bray Shaman, Doombull, Wargor, Bray Shaman, Gorebull, Centigor Chieftain
Core
Gor Herd, Ungor Herd, Warhounds, Razorgor herd, Tuskgor Chariots
Special
Bestigor Herd, Minotaur Herd, Harpies, Centigor Herd, Dragon Ogres.
Rare
Dragon Ogre Shaggoth, Cygor, Ghorgon, Jabberslythe, Chaos Giant, Chaos Trolls, Chaos Giant, Chaos Spawn.

Tomb Kings of Khemri posted:

Characters
Tomb King, Tomb Prince, Liche High Priest, Liche Mortuary Priest, Royal Herald, Necrotect.
Core
Skeleton Warriors, Skeleton Archers, Skeleton Skirmishers, Tomb Swarms, Skeleton Horsemen, Skeleton Horse Archers, Skeleton Chariots.
Special
Tomb Guard, Ushabti, Sepulchral Stalkers, Carrion, Necropolis Knights, Tomb Scorpions, Warsphinx.
Rare
Necrolith Colossus, Necrosphinx, Screaming Skull Catapult, Casket of Souls.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hihohe posted:

Im kinda Bummed they arnt gonna be supporting Skaven and Lizardmen, Those are like the most original interesting factions from old world. My local gaming group is kinda disheartened.

With luck the Legacy rules will be good. Other than that their AoS support is pretty good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Leperflesh posted:

Some fun unit filler for foot knights might include like a pack mule or horse or two laden with supplies, or maybe a whole supply wagon; squires or assistants with spare weapons; maybe some war dogs or their fantasy equivalents; or a really big guy, a big base with a kind of diorama of two or three guys doing something funny or interesting. Anything that looks reasonably mobile, makes sense to have with a unit of armed soldiers, and ideally adds character is good.

Some stuff I found that I think looks reasonably mobile and is thematic:

Yeah I love all of those.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking at those models I wonder if they are going to have Belegar as a generic King on Oathstone, or if he’s going to be himself as he was alive and a King at this point in the timeline. He was a notable candidate for Dwarf High King.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Someone already made a thing to help list building.

https://old-world-builder.com

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

The builder looks to be very much a work in progress. I was tinkering with the empire list and a lot of stuff exists in name only. Like I can add a Lector of Sigmar to the list, but he has zero options. It also isn't set up for detachments, they start at 5 models instead of the usual 10.

It'll be a good tool, just not yet. Still, it answered a few questions I had like how many points demigryphs were.

Yeah I imagine we will have wait for release day before it gets proper robust.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ro5s posted:

Do we know if there'll be free PDF versions of the rules put up like 40k? I missed the preorders and know the main rulebook's out of stock online.

You can buy Epubs of the books come release. At some point after release they will put up the Legacy Factions as free pdfs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

And we've got the first pre-order announcement after the main release.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/11/celebrate-warhammer-the-old-world-with-a-limited-edition-box-of-exclusive-merch/
:haw:

I have no idea what they are doing.

I imagine more stuff will be announced come Sunday.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Don’t quote me on this, but I think reforming costs your move for the turn, unless you have the drilled rule. Don’t know if it affects shooting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lostconfused posted:

How many chaos warriors could you need anyway?

Like 20 going by my experience.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cease to Hope posted:

Aleguzzler gargants are regular giants, and an option in Gloomspite Gitz, the same army as the arachnarok. The official model is the same one as the mancrusher model. They can even still stuff enemies in their pants, and fall over when they die.

Additionally, Sons of Behemat, the all-giant army, has a set of four named mega-gargants (the big giant model), such that every army has a legal mega-gargant ally.

Think they are talking about taking them together in an old world list.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Egrimm van Horstmann, Sigvald and Archaon got their own books I recall.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

I gave in. I'm a Tzeentch guy now.

Picked up the Eternus box from last year, a vanguard box, and a few other odds and ends. Right now I'm sitting at:
Chaos lord on horse/demonic mount
Chaos lord on foot
Chaos sorcerer on foot
Chaos sorcerer on horse (old metal model)
20 chaos warriors
10 chaos knights
5 chosen
3 dragon ogres
2 chaos spawn
1 chariot
I also have 3 ogroid something-or-others from AoS. They came in the Eternus box and while I could run them as allied minotaurs, I don't intend to get into beastmen. I'll be giving them to a buddy instead.

My intent with this army is to have about 2500-ish points so that I can play 2k with a few options. I still need 10 more warriors and a demon prince. I'm planning on 10 more chosen for a total of 15 though they can wait a while. I'd also like a big rare choice like a hellcannon and/or shaggoth. I'm definitely going to get both when they rerelease. I've already built those dragon ogres and that kit is great. I think it's from back in 8th edition. They're in more parts than you'd expect, but they come with every weapon option. Even came with the 50x75mm bases I need plus some ovals I don't. I moved on to the chaos warriors last night and whoever recommended the current kit was right. They go together very well and I'm excited to start painting these. I'm planning a blue metallic scheme and I got three paints from Turbo Dork to try. My local store happens to carry them. Thinking of combining that with dark brass trim and burgundy/maroon capes for something at least a little pink in the scheme. Hoping to do a test model in the next couple weeks after I get things built and my life calms down a bit.

Now, for my demon prince I'm thinking about trying out color shift paints on its armor. Turbo Dork makes a variety of them and there's a blue/pink one I want to try called Blue Raspberry. I thought about doing the whole army that way, but it seemed a bit too much. I may single out sorcerers, lords, etc. with that alternate scheme, but we'll see. I think I'd prefer it as a one-off or maybe I just save it for demons.
I think the Ogroids could make decent Chaos Ogres.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Verisimilidude posted:

Am I alone in thinking the faces on these models are...bad? At least in comparison to the modern faces that are being put out.

Also I'm not at all happy that they're releasing new models in metal and resin. Like apparently the Elisse Duchaard model is resin, and that's a brand new kit.

Forgeworld Resin is higher quality than the old Finecast.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine Green Knight will be a permanent part of the roster, as he's one of the three named Bretonnia characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lostconfused posted:

Lol Be'lakor playing with a choose your own adventure novel trying to get Diederick not to die.

Reading the Archaon novel?