Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, I kinda got the same feeling at first, but after looking through the other lists it looks like only the high elves get detachments and it's only on their basic militia units. The Empire are still the primary faction to use them and they seem to have wide access to the Drilled special rule that lets units redress the ranks for free before moving. There's definitely something there and I'm very interested to see how they do in a battle report or three.

They’re in a tabletop tactics one right now, though I didn’t notice them doing anything fancy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Issaries posted:

Anyone noticed what the 'Impetious' special rule on Orcs and goblins do?
I assume it's the animosity rule replacement.

A video I saw said if they can declare a charge then they must on a 4+. They’re basically always getting the aggressive animosity result

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Do we know if there'll be free PDF versions of the rules put up like 40k? I missed the preorders and know the main rulebook's out of stock online.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

MonsterEnvy posted:

You can buy Epubs of the books come release. At some point after release they will put up the Legacy Factions as free pdfs.

That'll work, thanks. GW I want to give you money actually have stock plz

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Leperflesh posted:

Have any of the game review/reports mentioned what unit musicians do in this edition? In 8th they just gave a Ld. test to make a swift reform instead of a regular one in the remaining moves phase, swift allowing you to still move & shoot (at -1) vs. regular preventing you from moving or shooting. Which is maybe more important of a factor when you want to get all your dudes spread out in a line to get some shooting done in this edition.

Musicians win draws in combat by 1, so occasionally you’ll get lucky and drive off a monster/chariot that flubs.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Lostconfused posted:

Alright nerds, what's the best chaos related novel black library's got?

I remember liking Palace of the Plague Lord, though it’s been years and I should reread it. A norscan goes on a quest into the wastes and lots of weird chaos stuff happens.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

No one rebased poo poo for 1st edition AoS. I played 2 games when it came out and that was 1.5 too many

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The orc warboss/bsb were too, I’ve had them sitting somewhere unpainted for a decade+

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

That's a huge range of minis being re-released, Greenskins have tons of stuff. I didn't play fantasy back in the day, is there much missing from the re-releases?

Goblin spider riders are about the only thing I see, plus character gigantic spiders but I can't remember if they had any official models for any of the time I was playing. Fanatics aren't mentioned specifically, but they might just be in the night goblins now.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Very unrealistic. Warhammer games are entirely 1 unit vs 1 unit on a frictionless sphere

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So why cant white shirt deploy on the other side of the table

The kroot can infiltrate - the tau player is supposed to be deploying on the left side of the board. Infiltrators couldn't get close to deployed units so you can usually screen them out but by reserving his whole army the marine player gave them free reign to string out on the far side of the board. In that edition reserves only came on from the controlling player's board edge - the bikes had to drive on from the right side so they were trapped off board.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

LashLightning posted:

While a slayer army was flavoursome, people found it very unfun to play against.

So it was a typical dwarf army :v:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It's a problem that what makes GW's worlds work as setting is the same thing that's a weakness as a story. The background is full of "[character] attacked the Empire and conquered a bunch of it but it's was so long ago that it's recovered." Off the top of my head just for Orcs, Gorbad took a bunch of cities, Grom did too and Azhag rampaged around before he was killed. It works well for your guys-ing armies and campaigns - it gives a player room to say that their army totally burned down Nuln one time 500 years ago but it's recovered since then.

It's bigger extremes both ways in 40K - there's a lot more history and space to play with for your own stuff. As an example a few years ago our gaming group ran a 40K narrative campaign fighting over some planet we made up that ended up with it being destroyed and that fits neatly into canon because a massive planetary war is just a drop in the bucket - it doesn't affect the monolithic status quo so it can have "really" happened. This runs into problems now that GW's trying to do an ongoing story since we've had the massive, galaxy changing* events of Cadia falling, the plague wars, the psychic awakening, the pariah nexus, the 4th tyrannic war, multiple primarchs returning, the arks of omen, other stuff I'm sure I've forgotten and the setting hasn't - can't - change becase of any of it. It feels even more static than eternal 999.M41 did to be pretending all these events are taking place and they have zero effect, not even culling some excessive named characters.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Cease to Hope posted:

even the ones that died are still kicking around. captain tycho died in the same story that introduced goth captain tycho. which was in 2001.

That's the bit I find baffling - 40K's allergic to historic characters to the point I think Tycho's the only dead one, even Eldrad got better and came back to life. Grom, Gorbad, Azhag, Vlad von Carstein and I'm sure a bunch of other warhammer characters were explicitly not from the current era, dead or missing. There were few enough of them around that each was the main character of their own little story in the wider world, now there are so many around that they're all bumping into each other, fighting and surviving, retreating screaming "I'll get you next time Megatron Abbadon!" like it's a Saturday morning cartoon.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

That’s not a huge surprise. This whole launch had been cautious enough I wouldn’t have expected any new armies but I imagine how well Old World’s selling is going to bump some plans forwards faster that they would have been originally.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

UK got a restock of books ~2 weeks ago so more might be available soon for everywhere else too.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

See lads there’s a trick to it, horses won’t trample a man standing his groun- :gibs:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

soviet elsa posted:

That brings up something that annoys me about challenges thematically. It's never an epic duel between badasses, it's Sergeant Redshirt volunteering to be eaten by the dragon, and Dark Lord Insanius Badguyarax has no choice but to accept the honorable fight instead of just going "lol" and wasting the unit anyway.

To be fair, heroes throwing unit champs in front of something scary is a time honoured warhammer tradition

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I have enough orcs

I have enough orcs

I have enough orcs

And yet… :hmmorks:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Issaries posted:

This is a wild one. Was someone, somewhere (probably in a tournament) arguing,
that opponent can't use their lance, because "It only count-as a charge, not an actual charge."

I want to say it was a previous version of the FAQ - it's why

quote:

Q: If my unit loses a round of combat and either Gives Ground or Falls Back in Good Order, can it choose to use different weapons in the next turn if the enemy made a Follow Up or Pursuit move?
A: No. Even though the units separated momentarily, they remain locked in place and engaged in an ongoing combat once the Follow Up or Pursuit move has been made. In other words, because the combat is ongoing, neither unit is able to swap one weapon for another.

is in cyan. It's because it says it's an ongoing combat and lances are explicitly 1st round only in their rules, so they had to be changed to work whenever the unit charged. I do sort of wish they'd come out and say this a bit more clearly - I'm assuming since they state here it's an ongoing combat stuff like hatred doesn't reactivate every time you pursue too, but it'd be nice to have a definitive answer on what's an ongoing combat vs a fresh one.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Acolyte! posted:

I wasn't sure where to ask about this since it's not Age of Sigmar. I work at a shop and we had a trade come in with some lead Oldhammer. I have no idea what era this is from, except that it's probably pre-1988, and my internet searching was fruitless. Does anyone know what is in this, aside from the obvious label which has zero info about it I can find? Someone wrote C42 on it in pen but that's Battlecars.

It looks like it's this, from that site the C series was 1983-1987

E looking again there's some wings in there too? So one of the other chaos monsters must be in there

https://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=C27_Chaos_Monsters_%28Citadel%29

ro5s fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 11, 2024

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ofaloaf posted:

I had a go at roughly combining Wargames Atlantic's Conquistadors kit with some old Empire bits I still had in a bits box, plus some crudely-made 25mm bases hacked out of milliput because the LGS was out of proper plastic bases. 25mm is the new standard for human models, right?

Figured I might continue on with this and try to make a more Spanish-themed Empire army. Maybe Marienburg? Sudenburg? Something out of Lustria?

IIRC Estalia is warhammer notSpain so they’d be a good choice

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Finally got a 1st game in today. I like most of it, it feels very mobile and there's a lot more back and forth in combat than any edition I've played before. Magic's a bit fiddly with 3 different timings and once you're in combat wizards feel like they've got a lot less to do. It was pretty quick too - 3 hours for a 2000 point game including setting up/clearing up while looking stuff up. An orc victory over dark elves too, which felt pretty much impossible in older editions :orks101:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Nice! Can I ask what worked and didn't in your opponent's dark elf army?

Let's see what I remember

Good
  • Witch elves - they had a death hag with +D3 extra attacks + hatred and the giant blade who slaughtered her way through 30 boyz and my BSB - she completely nailed my front rank singlehandedly when I charged into the unit
  • Black guard - they're slightly weird now because of supporting attacks making them better off the charge but they broke my river trolls once they were getting the extra attacks.
  • Executioners - high strength elves are just nasty to deal with - my other boyz mob + great shaman were fighting them to mutual destruction when I got a flank charge in and a lucky break check to run them down.

Bad
  • Shooting's just kind of limp - 2 repeater boltthrowers and some repeater crossbows didn't do much of anything
  • The hydra performed pretty badly - it bounced off my wyvern warboss then broke when I charged back in and got run down. That might just be because ridden monsters are gnarly though
  • Magic - we both had level 4s and kind of discovered we couldn't cast much a lot of the time just from how the combats were working out - no one was winning going into their own turns so we'd be following up into combat to avoid a charge and also shutting down all the hex spells.

Honestly I was really helped out by my doom diver scoring three direct hits on the heavy infantry - the black guard and executioners both went down to attrition that wouldn't have been there if my shooting hadn't been so lucky.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Xpost from the mini painting thread

ro5s posted:

Then I did some Old World. Retvrn to goblin green

And some new beef for my orcs since giants were awful in all the old editions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

lilljonas posted:

Nice!

I'm digging out my old O&G myself, it's a mix spanning stuff from the late 80's to the current Night Goblin range. I'll probably end up getting the MtO trolls as those are some of the bigger holes in my middlehammer collection.

Thanks :v: I’ve got a bunch of stone trolls on the way just because they’re so characterful :allears: Theoretically I could run a troll horde between them, my river trolls and I think I’ve got a few common ones in a box somewhere.