Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Ristolaz posted:

Repeater crossbows and single/dual repeater handbows are in the main book yeah. Same with repeater bolt throwers.

Could any kind soul who actually has the rulebooks tell us what they do? I have read through the DE legacy PDF, and bought a load of secondhand models off a nice chap on the Goonhammer Discord. Now I crave knowledge.

Robviously posted:

Dark Elves looking pretty solid. Time to dig them out.

They seem good right? Someone complained in a comment on the Goonhammer overview article that some of their units were worse than the High Elf mirror versions. But everything looks cool to me. I've got some Corsairs and Dark Riders as Core, then maybe a big unit of Cold One knights led by my general as a hammer unit?

What's frustrating is I'd love some of the new-version spearmen/crossbowmen, and black guard/executioners, but you simply can't get them anywhere. Not officially OOP, but have been 'temporarily unavailable' on the GW site for a while.

I went so far as to order some chariot crew via a bits store, to be able to make plastic foot nobles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

They're pretty OK!
Repeater crossbow 24" S3 AP- ArmourBane(1), Multiple Shots (2)

The repeater handbow has half range and quick shot instead of armorbane, and the Brace has multiple shots (4)

Thanks! Seems like for Corsairs, the handbows are more defensive (because if charged, Stand & Shoot will normally be better than extra melee attacks which you might not get against high initiative chargers) and the hand weapons are more offensive (because you are overwhelmingly likely to get the attacks in when you charge, and you can't shoot on those turns).

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

No, City Guard are now hand weapon/shield+optional spear OR their repeater crossbow men. I remember the old style City Guard getting dropped around 5th-6th and one of our friends that had been playing since the 90's was so furious about that change that he sold his army and to this day still says "Games Workshop screwed me over for the last time" and now only plays Warmachine.

Oh was that a thing in earlier editions? I thought it was always separate warriors and crossbowmen, and then there was a special army list (possibly in a WD?) that restricted certain options, but let you take those mixed crossbow/spear units. Surprised it would be something anyone would pin their whole army concept on.

moths posted:

Is there any reason to put archers in greater than minimum unit sizes? It feels like you're better off running them in tiny units to maximize frontage.

Yeah it kinda sucks that they lose Murderous with a second weapon, but the second weapon is better in nearly every circumstance.

Elven reflexes suggests there isn't much with better initiative, so it might help in receiving a charge as well.

There's some discussion over whether WElves and executioners can opt to fight with only a single hand weapon and use Murderous. Executioners have hand weapons on their profile, and Witch Elves have them twice.

I can't imagine why you'd do it, but there's at least one circumstance where it seems better than a second attack: The one assassin poison gives a 4+ wound, and Murderous rerolls 1s, which means only two die faces fail to would. One extra attack would be nice, but that combo benefits all his attacks.

Yeah the whole Murderous concept feels pointless. Tiny boost to an Assassin, or to a Noble if you're so incredibly cheap as to not give any weapon upgrades at all. But why would you ever? Ditto with Executioners. Perhaps it's an editing oversight, like it used to be something different, got changed, and they left it on certain units? Seems to be Khainite-specific.

With missile troops in general, the damage seems so restrained, that it's better to have melee troops, who contribute a similar number of piddly attacks, but also give you board control and combat resolution? In general it seems like if you go for shooting, you should take plenty of it, to actually inflict some panic tests.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

I suspect that it applied to everything until they playtested it.

Nobody with it can never use it - I can't imagine why you would ever take it over a extra hand weapon swing though, if that's an option. And it makes options like corsair handbows a little more appealing.

It's probably great for second+ rounds for Cold One riders, after the lances break.

I'd love to see some developer chats, but I think they're burying the legacy lists for now.

Good thoughts, but Corsairs and Cold One Knights don't get the special rule! If you mean characters armed in that way, yes technically. But you'd be mental to not just buy some sort of weapon upgrade instead.

B-person posted:

Please let me know if this does not belong here, but the launch of WHOW(?) made me nostalgic and I dug up my old Dark Elves army from my parents place.

I think 5th edition? It's almost all metal, I had forgotten how heavy the old models used to be.

Wow! Obviously I think most of the models are pretty dated, but genuinely those metal Dark Riders look better, to me, than the modern GW plastic ones.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I still have a ton of the 6th edition metal results of the corsairs and witches. Made sure to get the alt sculpts of the corsair leader with the dragon cloak wrapped around the face and the executioner axe. That was straight up the best model at the time.

This guy

Squibsy posted:

I have this guy and love him. Also the other Corsair champ is great. I don't feel like they fit in with the modern Corsair sculpts so I like to use them as unit leaders for my regular infantry

I'm feeling some big fomo about not having my WHFB minis to hand, they currently reside in my mother's attic :(

Bloody jealous of you both, that guy slaps.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

Sigh...so I have 2 LGSs that are literally about a mile apart. Owners/managers DO NOT get along, but I'm friends on varying levels with both of them. Store A, where I have my pre-order STILL has not gotten anything in. Last week they said they "finally got shipping info and it should be in Monday" but then last night they stealth edited the post and now showing Tuesday (1/30). Meanwhile, I stopped by Shop B on Saturday and their shelves are FULL of literally one of everything. At this point, I'm thinking about dropping my pre-order at the other place and just buying it there. Same discount either way but man, I SORTA feel like a dick skipping on an order but then again, I'm still waiting for a Necromunda kit I ordered last November to come it and no sign of it.

Dude, it's none of my business, but if a store can't get you something you ordered back in November, it's defensible to stop shopping there! Ultimately you are a customer as well as a friend to the owner.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ro5s posted:

That's the bit I find baffling - 40K's allergic to historic characters to the point I think Tycho's the only dead one, even Eldrad got better and came back to life. Grom, Gorbad, Azhag, Vlad von Carstein and I'm sure a bunch of other warhammer characters were explicitly not from the current era, dead or missing. There were few enough of them around that each was the main character of their own little story in the wider world, now there are so many around that they're all bumping into each other, fighting and surviving, retreating screaming "I'll get you next time Megatron Abbadon!" like it's a Saturday morning cartoon.

Yeah I find that stuff really eye-rollable. Reading the little fluff sidebars, you always know that if a modelled, named character is up against some incorporeal fictional antagonist, the latter is going to lose. If two characters with models are mentioned clashing, one might come off worse, but both will definitely survive.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I couldn't help myself and I wound up buying a chaos warriors army while I'm waiting. They were always planned to be my second army, but the models are readily available and that goes a long way right now. I just want to rank and flank.

To be fair I don't think you will regret this. I am not planning to rebase my AoS chaos warriors as my group of friends isn't stopping that game in favour of Old World, so I need to cover all my bases (haha). But they are just gorgeous models. Lovely updates of the chaos warrior aesthetic established nearly 20 years ago with the big blocky cloak wearing warriors released for the Storm of Chaos campaign. The knights are absolutely the best fantasy heavy cavalry models I've seen, and to my great surprise it looks like they can just about rank up on 30mm wide bases, although you might have to do some height adjustments and put them in a fixed order.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

However, I'm really not a fan of the new knights. They're great models, but a bad kit if that makes sense. When I built my first set of five I was keeping an eye out for any conversion opportunities. Anything beyond simple head and weapon swaps is going to be difficult. Everything's just too specific. I also think I'm going to have to modify some of the wilder capes to get them to fit nicely on 30x60mm bases.

I completely hear you about the kit, it's a pain to build. I have done some of the head swaps you'd expect (Chosen heads) and I don't think the resulting unit(s) look too bad.

Chosen are also a winner in my book, I think their wide poses and more sophisticated looking armour differentiate them enough from Warriors. Definitely an odd one for Old World though. The distinction between Warriors and Chosen is kind of less sharp (all the same weapon options, same base size) but also very important, since A2 and full plate are really what make your Chosen the stand-outs in a way ordinary Chaos Warriors became in later editions.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Yeah I have to say I'm strongly in the camp that this is something they could and should have fixed when revamping the rules. I am not an experienced WHFB player but I was always aware of the rules and I was always aware that this sacrificial challenge mechanic was the standard way to play. Seems like it could have been fixed quite easily.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lucinice posted:

I know the skaven and dark elves had rules listed that weren't on any units so they probably fixed that

Did they? The only change I see to Dark Elves is they nerfed one of the (very strong) signature spells you can swap to. Changed from setting an enemy unit's BS or WS to 1, to a simple -1BS/WS.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lucinice posted:

oh sorry I misrembered.

It was that the murderous rule only applied to units using 1 hand and not 2, but witch elves only come with two so they can't use the rule. Looking at the PDF they did not fix it at all.

moths posted:

Murderous is still weirdly situational. A lot of DE get it who'll never use it, but it's a silver lining on the corner cases where you have to use a hand weapon.

I don't have a particular dog in this fight since I don't own or intend to buy any witch elves models. I don't feel that DE are a particularly strong army if you exclude their dragon option, but that's not based on any experience, I still haven't managed to actually play a game of Old World yet. But it's just so low-effort. Lots of other armies get rules which do widely apply, like Orcs get choppa bonuses when charging. Would it have made Witch Elves, Executioners and a few characters too good if they re-rolled 1s to wound with other non-magical weapons? Or even exclude characters, just give it to Witch Elves and Executioners as a bonus.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

I've only had one game with them, but DE felt pretty solid overall. They're fast and killy, and feel satisfactorily mean.

I suspect Murderous originally applied to everything. That would feel overpowered, and restricting it to single hand weapons was a last minute balance fix.

That way it keeps some of the flavor without breaking the faction. But it doesn't make sense without the "before" photo.

Pure speculation though.

Witch Elves and Corsairs both have access to 2x hand weapons, which might be too good for regular+ troops if they're rerolling all their 1s.

Good to hear they're fun to play. It looks like Corsairs are rather second-best to spearman as a sort of core (relatively) cheap unit to hold the line, due to worse saves for higher cost, while Open Order is nice for mobility but worse for winning combats. But they're the only core infantry I've got so I'll be trying out a unit of 24 with the Banner of Har Ganeth. Hopefully they'll throw enough attacks to stay in the fight.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ro5s posted:

Finally got a 1st game in today. I like most of it, it feels very mobile and there's a lot more back and forth in combat than any edition I've played before. Magic's a bit fiddly with 3 different timings and once you're in combat wizards feel like they've got a lot less to do. It was pretty quick too - 3 hours for a 2000 point game including setting up/clearing up while looking stuff up. An orc victory over dark elves too, which felt pretty much impossible in older editions :orks101:

Nice! Can I ask what worked and didn't in your opponent's dark elf army?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

ro5s posted:

Let's see what I remember

Good
  • Witch elves - they had a death hag with +D3 extra attacks + hatred and the giant blade who slaughtered her way through 30 boyz and my BSB - she completely nailed my front rank singlehandedly when I charged into the unit
  • Black guard - they're slightly weird now because of supporting attacks making them better off the charge but they broke my river trolls once they were getting the extra attacks.
  • Executioners - high strength elves are just nasty to deal with - my other boyz mob + great shaman were fighting them to mutual destruction when I got a flank charge in and a lucky break check to run them down.

Bad
  • Shooting's just kind of limp - 2 repeater boltthrowers and some repeater crossbows didn't do much of anything
  • The hydra performed pretty badly - it bounced off my wyvern warboss then broke when I charged back in and got run down. That might just be because ridden monsters are gnarly though
  • Magic - we both had level 4s and kind of discovered we couldn't cast much a lot of the time just from how the combats were working out - no one was winning going into their own turns so we'd be following up into combat to avoid a charge and also shutting down all the hex spells.

Honestly I was really helped out by my doom diver scoring three direct hits on the heavy infantry - the black guard and executioners both went down to attrition that wouldn't have been there if my shooting hadn't been so lucky.

Thanks for replying, glad to hear about Black Guard and Executioners! I have heard the same thing about shooting from several quarters. The crossbowmen especially, it seems like you are hitting on 5+ in the absolute best case (in the open, multi-shot would be 4+, then you will practically always be either moving or over half range). More often on a 6+ and on a 7+ or even worse if there's any cover to consider.

Might try some shades, but that's as much for a few high-WS great weapon attacks into a flank as it is for the actual shooting. Scout skirmishers seem like a big boon to positioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

Continuing to chip away at my army. This time: Dogs!

And the army so far:

The warhounds were kind of fun to paint, but they aren't great models and have more going on than I'd really want for 6 point trash. All of them have horns, pustules, weird little tentacles, etc. I experimented with some techniques for quicker blends between flesh and mutations. I didn't want to completely phone them in because these things will be in most of my lists, but I also didn't want to spend too much time on them as they're really just meant to get in the way and die. I think I managed to strike a nice balance and I'm happy with how they turned out. I've got 10 more that I'll paint in the future and I'll get some more fur colors into the mix. Maybe some two tone ones as well.

Next up: More warriors!

Great looking force mate! Makes me heavily consider rebasing my AoS chaos army.