Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

morningdrew posted:

Tag yourself, I'm Pipedaddy and I work at amazon

Proud of my boy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but there's some specific stuff in their handbook I think about what to do if you suspect that two of your fellow proud boys are gaying each other or some poo poo.

It's really weird.

Behind the Bastards did a great and hilarious episode on the proud boys and I can’t recommend it enough

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Biden wasn’t an incumbent

This. Like. Someone can probably find data to contradict me, but that feels unprecedented. Two scoops Donnie is really, really disliked by so, so many people

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

dr_rat posted:

I remember the Legal Eagle made a good point, you can tell how good any of trumps lawyers are by how much their on TV. With the ones being constantly on TV obviously being the shittest of the poo poo.

Pretty sure that’s the episode where he rated trumps lawyers based on their legal acumen. Well all be very surprised that he rated Habba an F

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Iowa Man who's benefited from government handouts his entire life - "We really need to step back and let the free market make me rich."

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

This is why I don’t bat an eyelash in calling most republicans sociopaths. Because seriously, who does a thing like this if not someone who is more or less a sociopath?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

The one and true robo Hitler

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Grammarchist posted:

Robert Caro's series on LBJ is really infuriating during the parts where he covers the conservative coalition during the New/Fair Deal Era. Conservative senators, especially in the South, could get away with anything as long as they kept Civil Rights and other progressive bills at bay. This allowed them to control committees through seniority and simply amassing experience with parliamentary tricks, patronage, and networking. First-term liberals were harder to keep in office, because their voters expected immediate results and tended to lose enthusiasm if they failed to produce or compromised.

It puts things into perspective when you realize just how much FDR and Truman failed to accomplish, given how we think of them today. It does make LBJ's power plays a lot more satisfying in the end, even if he was (and had) a colossal dick.

History is both comforting and infuriating for the same reasons: poo poo constantly repeats itself, and humans are incapable of meaningful change in any sort small window of time.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

lol, she wrote an op-ed endorsing Haley on dailymail.

Wow, it’s amazing to me that someone who was an actual judge is willing to adopt the “weaponization of justice department” line. That’s some uh…brain logic there.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why has the amount of border crossings increased so much.

I guess I don't have a high awareness if the political situations in central and south America but are there humanitarian crises leading to more refugees? Is it economically really bad right now?

Because just in general this seems like a period in time where people would least want to be in the USA, it sucks here right now especially for immigrants.

Is it just we are employing far more jackbooted thugs, or have blocked the border into choke points so the amount of immigration is not substantially different but the rate of encounters is a lot higher?

Didn’t want to let this just go. I’m on a phone right now, but the ringer put up a transcript segment from a podcast about this. I think it’s worth a listen based on the brief blip.

https://www.theringer.com/2024/1/19/24043768/world-on-fire-part-3-united-states-border-crisis-immigration-policy-asylum

I’m on a cell phone so I won’t get too much into it, but I think it highlights the general upheaval in the southern hemisphere right now that most Americans are ignorant too, and I think it also highlights how generally sheltered from global conflict Americans are in general. Shocker, I know.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

The wording on that is throwing me off. Does that mean Ol Mike has raised a ton, or…that he must moved money around?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Judge Engoron is a frequent visitor to SA so every time you post demanding he release his judgment he pushes back the publishing by the day

He is the right age range for this website….

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

dr_rat posted:

Don't most of his kids hate him anyway? Why make it public if it's just going to get you written out of the will.

Trump 100% would write any of them out of the will on a whim.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Trump just had it in his will that all his money and property is to be burned so his kids can learn to make their own fortune. It would just be so…him

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

MrQwerty posted:

Lol they were already doing that when she got fired

That sick burn is gonna need some ER treatment stat

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Blackchamber posted:

She was going to have a much bigger role and she can't really even act very well. Then there's crossover roles in other SW series I'm sure and so on and so on. Obviously she wouldn't have become filthy rich on that alone but steady paycheck and already part of the Disney family so she can slide into other stuff (Rosario aka Ahsoka starred in Haunted Mansion which wasn't great but again starred in a disney production) but no do go on Gina you do what you feel is right and have no regrets... (shes having huge regrets).

God awful movies covered a movie with her in it and they just ravaged her acting and yeah. I believe every word about how bad it was. Her pinnacle may have been Deadpool, where her acting instructions were “look angry and don’t talk.”

So much regret now, I’m certain.

Edit: and it brings me joy!

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

That flamethrower contraption looks incredibly jank and she’s lucky it didn’t set her on fire.

Yes, but that doesn’t make *me* lucky

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I mean, gently caress all these lawyers for representing the orange satan, but also....lol

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

SonOfGhostDad posted:

lol, both of my parents have told my and my siblings that when their Silent Gen parents die, they'll be liquidating their assets and selling our childhood home so they can blow their inheritance and leave nothing for their children or grandchildren. fuckin rules

I know this is from a few pages back and I’m a random guy on the internet, but that is a supremely lovely thing to say to anyone, let alone someone’s own flesh and blood. And I sincerely wish for you to be better than they are and for you to experience real happiness, which is a thing they’ll never experience because people who are that lovely can never truly know happiness.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

pixaal posted:

The Nightman Cometh? The play?

No wait it's the children beauty pageant isn't it.

Franks Little Beauties. Forever a classic

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Ah gently caress yeah that’s the good stuff

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Shageletic posted:

The Muslim ban still is in effect, as those who were banned under it are still knocked out of the system and there's been a huge drop in visas offered to people the ME where I'm originally from. My cousin got kicked out of the country under Biden when he had family and young kids and a pretty good as a supervisor in a mechanic. But successful asylum applications are a joke rn.

Isn't the the Trump head of the USPD still there?

Louis DeJoy is a vile piece of trash but it’s impossible for a President to remove the postmaster general. I think this has to do with the fact that they are literally last in line for President. Anyway, can’t blame that dumb poo poo on Biden…

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Does he even have 5?

Aw gently caress yeah that’s the stuff

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Random Stranger posted:

A bunch of illegals crossed the Mexican border to live on the other side and got mad when told they couldn't own slaves. Then they locked themselves in a church when the government came to enforce the laws and died poorly because they were a bunch of shitheads.

Grew up in San Antonio and can confirm this description of the Alamo

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Well I guess that settles that

Oh wait

So uh, any “a vote for Biden is just bad as trump” takers on this one?

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

TulliusCicero posted:

Who the gently caress is this poo poo for?

Are they trying to manifest black trump voters into existence?

What’s sad/depressing/hilarious is that this poo poo won’t win a single black vote. But hating on minorities? Yeah, that’s a big part of what’s drawing in new minority votes.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Another Bill posted:

this is how birth control pills work?

Real “how is babby formed” energy here

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Blurred posted:

I missed polling chat last night, but wanted to add my two cents here.

There seems to be a lot of complacency here about the state of the 2024 election - the Republicans are running on losing issues, they're out of money, etc. - but I think we should be honest with ourselves that the polling just isn't reflecting that at the moment. RCP has Trump ahead in 16 out of the past 20 polls (2 tied) and I don't think that can easily be dismissed. You can point to things like sampling errors for individual polls, but that doesn't work when a lot of pollsters with different polling methods are all showing similar things. You could argue that all the polls are somehow systematically missing some key group of voters (which is perhaps what happened with the polls in 2016 and 2020, where their traditional screening methods led them to underestimate Trump's level of support among traditionally "unreliable" voters), but I don't see clear reason to presume that's happening here, nor that such systematic errors would necessarily be to Biden's advantage.

Some posters said that polling overestimated Republican performance in 2022, but that just isn't true. The final 538 average had Republicans 1.2% ahead, and they actually won by 2.8%. That's still an underperformance for Republicans under the circumstances, but it was anticipated by the polling. The polls severely underestimated the performance of Democrats in some of the special elections, yes, but polling of local races has always been super unreliable.

So, coupled with the fact that Biden's approval rating is currently under water, I think the polls should be taken seriously, and we should presume that Biden is genuinely trailing Trump at the moment and we should rightly be nervous about Trump winning in 2024. However, that's not to say that we should take the polls as accurate forecasts of what is actually going to happen in November. I think we should treat them as accurate, yes, but they reflect current voter preferences, not necessarily what the preferences will be in November. The fact is that Biden hasn't really kicked off his election campaign yet, whereas Trump has been in campaign mode for most of the past 3 years. Trump is getting press coverage (for, er, various reasons) while Biden only seems to get press coverage when they want to talk about his mental decline. Voters have the minds of goldfish and might have forgotten about some of the more heinous poo poo Trump did as president, but they're going to be reminded about it pretty constantly once the Biden campaign kicks into gear. Plus there's the minor issue of the 91 indictments hanging over Trump's head. If there's any sympathy for Trump's "persecution" at the moment, that might disappear pretty quickly once the guilty verdicts start rolling in.

So while I don't believe in unskewing the polls - I genuinely believe that Biden is behind at the moment - that's hardly reason for dooming at the moment, because most of the changes to the dynamic of the race in the next 8 months are likely to be to Biden's advantage (barring some extraordinary event - like economic collapse - that can't be foreseen for now). But I also think it's clear that we shouldn't be gloating over the corpse of Trump's political career or the Republican Party just yet, because - against all reason and human decency - their popularity seems to be holding up for now.

This is a solid effort post and more or less how I feel. I read an LA times article which more or less confirmed that most “swing” voters stick their heads in the sand until fall and don’t really pay attention to anything otherwise. Which, cool. That’s who we depend on to maintain democracy.

I don’t think Biden has started campaigning yet because decorum, and I do think Americans have goldfish brains and I do think anger towards the incumbent is expected at this time. Bush jr had really negative ratings and easily
Won reelection, same for Obama, etc. But it’s different this time because one person wants to literally try to end our government. So that’s cool.

I just don’t get willful complacency. Maybe I’m less happy because of that, but also I don’t think I’m stupid so, plus minus there

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Grey Cat posted:

It's pretty good I've only ever seen the full cut which is like 2.5hrs. If anyone is on the fence for watching it let me sell you.

It has a booby robot, feeding humans to the work machine, a hosed up church, and some of the best set design and miniatures ever.

I just saw it for the first time two weeks ago or so. Amazing film that was ahead of its time. It’s almost hard to believe that in ten years that country became the country of nazis :gonk:

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Batterypowered7 posted:

Keep voting for the GOP, Kentucky. See where that gets you.

"Yeah but at least Republicans aren't weak on the border! No we're not racist I have a black friend" - every Kentucky Republican, probably

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Captain Fargle posted:

Ahh. So the reason Engoron never bothered revoking the Trump Org business license is because there isn't going to be any business left to revoke once Letitia James is finished stripping the bones clean.

If I'm shamelessly projecting, I think it's a chef's kiss moment since Engeron's basically saying "once we take everything we can and once you're 3 years older, you're welcome to come back and try to build things from scratch again. But legally this time." Which, that's never happening.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

kazil posted:

Graham got booed at a Trump rally in South Carolina over the weekend

Amazing that even after all his whiny-rear end bootlicking, he's still as actively hated as ever. Yet he will never get voted out! In summary: America is a land of contrasts.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

MrMojok posted:

🚨 TRUMP LOSES EMERGENCY BID TO STAY $454m JUDGEMENT 🚨

First to hop on this troLOLy

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Welp. Guess the LOLs had to stop sometime

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nearly 40 years :okboomer:

gently caress. Fuckkkkking. gently caress I feel old now.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same, i am gonna volunteer too. if there is a brightside. it should light a fire under some asses.

I live in blue rear end Washington but a) respect you both and b) really need to do something myself, beyond “vote.”

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Batterypowered7 posted:

I can't believe the migrants would do this.

Could be the reptilians

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Aramis posted:

Homo-Marxist reptilians?

Just point me in their direction and I’ll bring the flowers. Bout time I got hitched

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

HopperUK posted:

How many football fields are there in Texas?!

One for every man, woman, child, and steer, amen

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

In 2022, three U.S. House seats in Ohio that were on no one’s radar flipped to the Dems. Then, Ohio voters voted for abortion rights and legalized marijuana, which the GOP-dominated state government is resisting. Also, Obama won Ohio twice.

It’s a better flip opportunity than Texas, and if Biden actually won it, the race would be called by 11pm EST.

As someone in the west coast, I’d loving love to kick off the drunken debauchery by 8 pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

funeral home DJ posted:

Slave-owning states were really upset about this whole "no longer being allowed to own slaves" thing and the EC was a compromise to give them outsized power to let them influence the US with racist garbage and anti-human rights legislation. Look at Kentucky trying to pass SB 500 which is the most anti-worker, anti-human legislation we've seen in literal decades.

Slave owners are still running this shithole.

You'd think people would've learned 200 years ago that there's no appeasing assholes, but here we are