Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I'm still really annoyed that these fucks somehow swastika'ed the OK symbol of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hollismason posted:

They are also surprisingly very anti gay as well.

No way!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

It's a minor miracle that such a juvenile group accurately chose to call themselves boys.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Your honor, this matter has already been adjudicated in my treehouse by a panel of my toadies, so Double Jeopardy obviously applies.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Joking aside, it seems pretty clear by now that Trump himself has been given a ton of leeway to waste the court's time with stupid motions, and the worse consequence he's seeing is his attorneys having to pay fines. Of course he's going to be throwing every single stupid hail mary at the wall just in case one of them sticks for some reason or other.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

Ah 6ix9ine. The guy who may CSAM. No wonder he's a Trump guy!

Trump is just that great! Even dirtbags are jumping on the train!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

He just wants Daddy's approval.

It's rare that a picture ever makes me immediately angry at it, doubly so for anything coming from these clowns, but this one certainly does it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

New birther movement just dropped.

Is there a particular reason why he's got such a bee in his bonnet against her? I'm figuring it's because she was part of his admin, which makes her a filthy unloyal traitor to him, but I'm wondering if there's something else.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Oh hell no, he's already calling her playground names. The only person he hasn't called names is Kari Lake and Stefanik so it'll be one of them.

I mean I can also just imagine him not naming a VP because he doesn't trust anyone or something.

Can't wait for Alina Habba, VP of the US.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dementropy posted:

Much like some people look back at the amazing guests interviewed by Brinkley, Cavitt, Russert, and others, 2024 will have Mr. Turd and Tucker.

The duality of man is Tucker wanting so hard to rebrand as a Ron Swanson type, but refusing to drop the jacket and tie under any circumstance.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Trump aside, the fact that this is a question worth any amount of debate time at all is enough for the rest of the modern world to look down on America. I honestly shudder at the thought of the court judging in his favor, not because it makes his return to the presidency more likely, but just because this will be interpreted abroad as the moment where America dropped the rule of law and effectively Democracy.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The pointy things are called "Tines"

Filing this in alongside "aglets" in the "concepts that do not deserve dedicated words" drawer. The fact that both are footwear-related is also making me suspicious.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

kazil posted:

Yes? If they were dating they didn't disclose it and it gives the appearance, real or not, of preferential treatment.

More objectionably, hand-wringing over Edgeworth having a conflict of interest seems questionable in of itself.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

That's not correct. The lawyer did make a passing comment to that, but their main arguments are all precedent-based.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

A nice summary of the standards Republicans and Democrats are held too, resepctively.

I mean, both statements are basically saying the exact same thing. As much as they are assholes, there is nothing inconsistent here.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

mystes posted:

Yeah the problem is that, while it's possible to hypothetically imagine a system where the president has to be impeached and removed form office before criminal prosecution is possible, if that applies to everything and not just execution of official duties, it means that the president could literally just assassinate congresspeople to prevent impeachment, so I don't think any court is going to be able to accept that option.

Actually, you will find that they'll argue that assassinating a congressperson still qualifies as an execution of official duty since he's doing it in order to keep the government running because the impeachment would have interfered with that.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I doubt this happens, but it is the best outcome.

I think it's not THAT unlikely. Why kick a hornet's nest (which would be the case no matter which way they ruled) that there's an, even if only remote, chance might just go away?

If I was in these judges' seat, kicking that can down the road would be mighty tempting.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 9, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lord Harbor posted:

Haven't Republicans (possible Trump himself) argued that anything a politician does in order to get reelected counts as an official act, because the politician believes they are the best person for the job so its in the country's best interest to see them reelected?

Not quite, at least to my knowledge. They've (reasonably, on paper) argued that investigating and acting on suspected election fraud is an official act, and there's no reason for them to expand beyond that. That's why the prosecution is putting such a big emphasis on "he knew he had lost".

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

What's extra hilarious about this, compared to the dudes who think they could beat Serena or whatever, is that you can just look up how fast she runs. You could easily run a 400 to see if you're at least comparable before embarrassing yourself like this.

The answer to that is simple. Their fantasy is to replicate Karsten Braasch's feat, cigarettes and all.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

rotinaj posted:

No matter. What? No. Violence!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

If this was all an HBO miniseries playing 200 years in the future, everyone's favorite character would be Donald J. Trump. Like, no question. The actor playing him would be set for life.

I dunno. Rudy doesn't get nearly as much screen time and his arc is winding down (or is it?!?), but anytime he's brought out, everything else pales in comparison.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

BrideOfUglycat posted:

I guess I'm confused. It sounds like the lawyers are arguing that any President is immune from any crime, no matter how heinous, unless they've been impeached and convicted beforehand. Wouldn't that make the crime for which they are impeached therefore unimpeachable because they are immune? Should we just impeach every President as soon as they are sworn in in order to get their criming out of the way?

It seems so paradoxically ridiculous, but this is also American law. Is there a strong legal basis for making that argument?

The claimed immunity is to judiciary processes. Impeachment is a purely political one.

They also claim that you can only be prosecuted for the specific crime you've been impeached for, so your preemptive impeachment idea is out.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Okay, but why would the judiciary agree to that, though? You're asking judges to say that they... can't judge something?

Judges not having jurisdiction on stuff happens all the time.

e:

mystes posted:

I think the idea is just that to be convicted in a court they first have to be impeached and convicted by congress. There's not necessarily any reason it should work that way, but it's a possible way it could work, I guess. I suppose it arguably makes more sense in the context of the actual powers of the president that a court shouldn't be able to convict a president for executing the duties of the president unless congress has impeached and convicted them first? I don't think it's really a good idea either way, but it's possible to imagine the system being set up that way in terms of checks and balances.

The reasoning roughly goes:
1. The President must have broad leeway in order to be able to boldly do what is needed for the country without worrying about their self-interests.
2. But there has to be some kind of limit to this, apparently.
3. Since the impeachment process exists and is well defined, we suggest that this is the only clear-cut limit that we can all agree on.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 9, 2024

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

BrideOfUglycat posted:

True, but usually the argument is that someone else DOES have jurisdiction. That said, I could easily see Trump's belief that "L'etat, c'est moi" would mean no one has jurisdiction over him.

His lawyers are crystal-clear here that this jurisdiction 100% resides with congress by way of impeachment. the fact that congress is completely and demonstrably incapable of performing their duty in that regard is a matter for another day.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Is he really going with "those flight logs that show me on Epstein's plane are AI generated"?
Jesus loving christ

This is the least surprising development.

Him taking over the emerging concept of Fake News as his own was one of his greatest success. Of course he was going to jump on the AI blame train sooner or later.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lets be real here. Even if these pictures were real, it wouldn't change a drat thing.

I used to be really worried about AI pictures, and in particular how the mere possibility would be used a means to undercut actual photo and video evidence, but it turns out that people at large are readily willing to dismiss them just based on whether or not what is shown aligns with whatever narrative they want. It'll still come into play in court, I'm sure, but the boat has sailed a long time ago as far as public perception goes.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah but they've tried very hard to install their own ghouls and they can't get anyone who lights fires in hearts like trump

we're very lucky in that he's a Special Ghoul, the kind they can only find once every 40 years or so; their last one was Reagan.

Trump is rather different in that he muscled his way into the GOP. I don't think it's going to take nearly as long once he's gone before some other ghoul pulls that off again.

edit:
basically this:

Hollismason posted:

The Republican party seems to respond to celebrity status more than anything else.so I won't be surprised with President Dwayne Johnson.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving same. alot of weird W era stuff aged way way better with trump then W(gently caress W too though obviously)

It's interesting how, comparatively, leftist commentary making light of what we now see as budding evidence of impending disaster has aged tremendously poorly.

If you told me in 2007 that we'd both be looking wistfully at W. and remembering the Daily Show as milquetoast to a damaging fault, I'd have laughed in your face.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I think this is an unfair evaluation. What the gently caress was a comedy show supposed to do? It did exactly what it set out to do. This is a post-2016 sentiment that seeks to remove responsibility from ourselves for being the ones who put too much on The Daily Show as a source of news and change, when it was just a cable news show designed to make you laugh and sell ads and and nothing more.

It also serves to ignore that before The Daily Show, there was no one who was taking these potshots. It was considered exhilarating just to finally have someone who wasn't living into the lie, like every other person on TV at the time was.

The failures of The Daily Show are not things it ever promised to change; they are our own failures. They are our regret for hanging the idea of active resistance on a loving tv show produced by Viacom.

And at the end of it all, John Stewart still works hard advocating for 9/11 responders, contributing to help people on a community-level, which is more than the people who seek to blame The Daily Show for causing some sort of systemic failure seem to do.

I tend to agree with you in general. I don't actually begrudge the show itself, especially in context. It's all hindsight stuff.

However, The Rally to Restore Sanity was always incredibly misguided wishful thinking from day one.

edit:

$12M.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

withak posted:

What would his reign be in Scaramuccis?

This is suddenly making me realize that this circus has been going on for a long-rear end time.

There are grown adults who have never known the before times in their entire politics-aware life.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

You know how looking at an unmirrored picture of yourself, there's something indescribably off?

It's not supposed to happen with pictures of other people, but then we have Ron.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

credburn posted:

Is she younger than Trump?

She is thankfully older. by a single year if I'm reading this right

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I want to see Gaetz or magic the gathering run for speaker

Do it

Dumbest, funniest result

Only if I get to see Jim Jordan's face when it's announced.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Rescue Toaster posted:

Will we finally get to Speaker Gymnasium Jordan?

I think we just might, but it's a long poo poo. If the house Rs figure that the position is impossible to hold and maintain right now, I could see them giving it to him in the hope that he gets humiliated. The margin is so thin though; I doubt they'll get unanimity on that.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

kazil posted:

[...]
Crockett loving owns

Just want to chime in to say that I really, really, appreciate you both linking and screenshotting twitter posts like that. But fyi, you can also make screenshots that link to the tweet like so:

code:
[url=https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1745116946561999121][img]https://i.imgur.com/bX3SCST.png[/img][/url]
Which would be even better!

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Other than the cost of everyone's time and patience, is there any cost associated with letting Trump bloviate for as long as he wants in lieu of a closing statement?

I'm going to guess that the less Engoron pushes back on those arguments, the more they get to argue on appeal that they were unjustly ignored. If Engoron snips that poo poo in the bud, then they have to argue against said snipping instead of just handwaving at not taking things into consideration.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Oscar Wild posted:

I disagree, I think they see it as a strategic feature to grind all government functions to a halt. They're not stupid. The public largely sees government action as a party democrat action so they get the blame when government doesn't work.

Yeah... At this point, I think you are going to have to support that with some kind of evidence.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

No effing way. I literally can't believe this.

He really is the gift that keeps on giving, stupidity-wise.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

redshirt posted:

And the cherry on top is they will claim they are "Strong on Defense" and the media won't push back and the Chuds will wave their flags and chant USA USA as they give their full support to a man who would sell out the country for a quick buck.

Also, this was almost certainly happening behind closed doors at the same time he was publicly complaining about EU members not pulling their weight within the alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Uh well people were mean to ivanka when she was in the White House so it’s equal

Well, that beans photo is as humiliating as Hunter's pictures, so you may have a point there.