Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm beginning to suspect that this Trump fellow might be a bit unamerican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

These are all issues that federal courts have already resolved and said, "Shut the gently caress up, Donnie," so these are going to get slammed down fast.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I was going to say, isn't this inviting sanctions because all of these exact arguments have already been made and denied, and also because nothing has changed?

I doubt they'd get sanctions here since they haven't tried the tactics in Georgia courts. They'll get pointed to the existing rulings and that'll end it unless Trump's attorneys find a specific twist in Georgia law that changes things (they won't). And even in federal court, this isn't the kind of thing that brings down sanctions unless you do something extra stupid with it like have an AI make up cases that support you or something crazy like that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

redshirt posted:

It's on CNN. No one that matters will see it.

I mean, I saw it--

OOOOHHH. :negative:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

The Seal Team 6 question is going to be devastating for Trump's case

everyone's really focused on it

If Biden doesn't have a drone circling Mar-a-Lago, waiting for this rulings, then what is he even doing?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

Also it's not an official title or anything, it's a way to differentiate. Jesus!

Actually, president-elect kinda is. It's not written into the constitution, but there are other federal laws that grant certain privileges to the president-elect to insure a smooth transition. They get an office, funds for hiring staff, access to information, rhat kind of thing. It was a big deal in 2020 that Trump wasn't following the law and letting Biden have the things he was legally entitled to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

meanwhile, things are going great in Congress

They don't have the senate or white house so Inot sure what kind of "wins" they think they could get. Even their ability to hold the country hostage with the budget is weakened due to the sliver majority and the fact that nobody is putting up with it anymore.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've come around on Trump's "actually the president can kill whoever they want" legal strategy. The key is that the exact same legal reasoning can apply to anyone who has to be removed from office by impeachment, such as federal judges.

Step 1: get the judge to hate you
Step 2: the judge rules that the judge can kill you
Step 3: survive long enough to become president again

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rotinaj posted:

I saw some clips of trump from back in 2017 a few minutes ago

Holy poo poo does he look old and tired and beaten down now

He wasn't well back then, but he could still be coherent. By 2020 his brain was pudding and it's only gotten worse. Which is why republicans harp on how Biden is old and has dementia, it's always projection.

Unironically, I think Trump would stand a good chance of being declared incompetent to stand trial if he went for that. No chance that he'd ever accept it.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 9, 2024

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

emSparkly posted:

2 of the judges on this immunity thing are Biden appointees so I don’t think they have any motivation to really throw trump a bone here if they don’t need to.

You'll be hardpressed to find a judge willing to go for this. Only the most incompetent and chuddiest of chudges would sign off on "the president can kill someone to stay in office, also judges are powerless wusses", especially since the consequences are so obvious and bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

:siren: Mod challenge time :siren:

Person who guesses closest without going over Trump's fine for his NYC civil trial with the RACIST IG Letitia James gets a gift cert.

People who is closest while going over gets a special one-of-a-kind handmade 6er image courtesy of me.

$420 million. :420:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nooner posted:

why do so many goons get their moral compass from loving cartoon shows lmao

Optimus Prime was there for me more thsn my real dad. :smith:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Oh no! Prosecuting former presidents for crimes they did in office?! Why had we not considered this possibility!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Grey Cat 420million .69 cents
Random Stranger $420 million

I wish Grey Cat the best of luck for coming up with a funnier version of the funny number before me.

I really do think that Trump has dug the hole deep enough that the fine is going to be in the low $400 million range. I don't see him getting anything knocked off the $375 million and it's only going to go up from there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

lol if you were shopping and someone was stealing poo poo, why would you give even the slightest gently caress?

If I were an employee I wouldn't even give a gently caress

If someone was just walking out I'm not going to care. If someone is sticking meat down their pants I'm going to get annoyed at the lack of hygiene.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Funny how the NSA panopticon disappears for right wing terrorists.

It's really easy to avoid NSA attention if you refuse to acknowledge that there's anything outside of the United States.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Brutus has been seen going into the speaker's office.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sedgr posted:

I sort of expect Engoron to cite Trumps behaviour during the proceedings as evidence of Trumps way of doing business. Trumps guilty already, this is largely about determining the level of guilt. How much is incompetence and how much is Trump knowingly committing crimes. Well Trump just showed in those closing statements that even surrounded by lawyers and the judge telling him what is or is not allowed, Trump just does what he wants and his underlings roll over for him. Donny has given a constant stream of evidence that this is how he operates, it's not incompetence. He knows what he's doing, is told by the experts he's breaking the rules, and still breaks them. Even in the simplest things. While he should probably get smacked with some contempt, it'll hurt him far worse in the final decision.

Pretty much. Trump has already lost in about the biggest way possible, he just keeps digging down. They weren't going to lock Trump up for that temper tantrum, though another contempt fine is likely. And the person that Trump had to convince to treat him better was the judge, who he was disrespecting and treating like poo poo. The grandstanding didn't play for a crowd because the only people who saw it were in the courtroom. He didn't even get to derail the proceedings.

One more thing to keep in mind is Engoron wants to get this over with. He doesn't want to have to deal with Trump for another two weeks. So let the baby throw a fit, mark him down for another couple of million on the fine, and enjoy how this is all going into a criminal referral.

In short, this was another gently caress up by Donnie that demonstrated what a pathetic loser he is. I wish it would have been funnier, but running out of the courtroom with tears in his eyes like he's looking for someone to say "Sir" to is still pretty good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Has Speaker Johnson lost the mandate of heaven yet?

Nameless Pete posted:

It would be bad for a million self-evident reasons, but part of me wants to see Biden embrace the Trump lawyers' argument about presidential immunity meaning he can have his rivals murdered.

Don't do it, just put up billboards all over the country that say "Donald Trump draws breath because I permit it"

That'll lose him democrat votes for not taking a hardline stance against Trump breathing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Mac posted:

Ah, but the justices have a conflict of interest - they could be killed if they rule he's immune! So OBVIOUSLY they are biased and will say he isn't! Since they're biased against him, it's clear that presidents do have that immunity!

But if the president is immune because he has to be impeached first, so are federal judges. So there's an incentive to rule in Trump's favor and then start blasting.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Is there anything that can be done about this? Logically, if someone refuses to do their job, there should be a way to get around it.

This ties in with a discussion my mom and I were having yesterday where she suggested that the HFC could just not allow anything out of committee and stall the spending agreement that way. That seems so implausible to me though. There has to be a way around it.

No. Judges have a lot of latitude in how they manage trials which is why when Cannon drew this case everyone groaned. While rulings like this can be appealed, there's zero chance that even a friendly appeals court is going to force things through. On top of that, Cannon is going to be on the bench for another fifty years. The feds will have to deal with her constantly and they're only going to play the appeal card when it matters.

If a judge is nakedly corrupt like Cannon is (or I guess she could be a complete idiot who doesn't even have a layman's understanding of the law or judicial proceedings whose lack of knowledge in those areas always benefits Trump directly, but nakedly corrupt is the more likely option), there's a shitton they can do to wreck a trial with effectively no recourse. There's not even sanctions that could be applied.

Dragging out the trial forever was the obvious way that she would gently caress with things, so there is no surprise here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

he admit it

Trump kept trying to start wars except he was just as incompetent at that as he was at everything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hollismason posted:

A Solar Flare or storm wouldn't knock us back to the stone age. Most scientific instruments and basic electronics are protected. Like your basic cell phone has EM protection.

Anyway its just a insane scenario.

Disappointing to learn Dennis Quaid is bug gently caress nuts like his brother.

Electrical infrastructure is at a lot more risk than individual electronics to something like a massive solar flare. It's still not an "end civilization" scenario, but it will make everyone miserable for quite a while if the power goes out for a quarter of the planet for weeks or months.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhonne posted:

It was also a historically low turnout, so you can't even say this is representative of all registered Republicans in Iowa.

Eh, you can make a reasonable assumption that the people who didn't show up are equally distributed. It's not like DeSantis voters are extra vulnerable to the cold or anything like that. You might make an argument that only the most enthusiastic would go out for the caucus, but only the most enthusiastic are going to be there even if they weren't risking death by going.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

You honor I didn't defame the lying and dishonest E Jean Carrol, Who I have never met. When those truths were posted I was in this very courtroom. THE ULTIMATE ALIBI

"Okay, just delete the messages and apologize and that'll be sufficient."

[10 minutes later...]

"RIGGED COURT WON'T LET ME SPEAK!!!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stoatbringer posted:

I think he got nominated several times, but not in a way that the Nobel people would take seriously, just some weirdo cult member writing to them, and then Trump picking up on it and trying to convince people it was official.

Nobel prize nominations just mean that someone sent a letter to the committee saying that they should consider this person. There are a lot of shitheads who tout their "Nobel peace prize nomination" since few people understand that it means jack poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Escape From Noise posted:

Without me, life has no meaning. Just relax and you will have no problem.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Well, she'd have to because she's never getting a client after this regardless if Trump wins or loses the election.

I mean, she'll be in prison or at the very least disbarred for the fraud she committed as Trump's attorney, so she really will never be getting another client.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

If I was still a lovely kid and living in one of these shithole states that attack education, I would be weaponizing those laws so hard. I mean, it would be playing into the republicans' hands since they want to break education, but I was a lovely kid and I'd work hard to make teachers terrified of stepping onto school grounds and get arrested for minuscule things that the legislatures inadvertently banned.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rotinaj posted:

Now that I think of it, even if habba had gotten Carroll to produce these emails or texts, what relevance do random threats have to whether donald jonald trungus defamed e. Jean Carroll

They are irrelevant to the defense of Trump, aren’t they?

Yeah, the threats are of limited use in this case even for Carroll. They could plausibly be used to establish some damages, but linking this particular defamation to those threats is a challenge.

To Trump, they mean jack loving poo poo since if Carroll's attorneys didn't introduce them and Trump's attorneys didn't ask for them, then they're not evidence. So Habba is making some absurd jumps and is trying to muddy the waters for a jury that might not understand those things.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How much could final judgment cost Trump?

It's not going to be a crazy amount compared to other Trump trials. Maybe a million or two. Carroll's attorney fees will definitely be part of it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

the law understander weighs in

I know people like to think that Trump is misinterpreting his trials to get the cult riled up, but as time goes on I am more and more convinced that he genuinely thinks what he's doing is how the law is supposed to work.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

IshmaelZarkov posted:

In a related question, what's the over/under of the same. Show your working.

$3 million and I'll take the under. Keep in mind this is his second defamation trial with Carroll, so it becomes a question of how much additional damage has he done, how much punative damages get applied to someone who won't stop being an rear end in a top hat, and lawyer fees for trial number two. So it'll be a relatively small amount compared to the other damages being thrown around. I'll LOL if he goes above $10 million, but I think it's unlikely.

Join us in six months for defamation trial #3!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Isn't tree law meant to be one of the most punitive in the US? I remember every time Tree law comes up posters always mention that.

Trump really should commit more tree crimes.

It's not that there are special tree laws that are extra punative, it's that trees are very expensive. There's literally decades of time that goes into producing one. And there are a lot of shitheads who don't give a gently caress because there are trees everywhere so who cares if they just chop down their neighbor's tree that's blocking their view. They can just get a new tree (sapling) for twenty bucks down at Home Depot if they complain. Those assholes are the ones who wind up eating tree law as they find out how much a tree actually costs.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kw0134 posted:

The strongest argument that can be made, as likely has been raised in the thread already, is that the defamation has fully done the harm it is going to and no further award is necessary since there is nothing to compensate. It's not a particularly great argument imo but that's the sturdiest reed upon which you hang your defense.

Whatever the gently caress Habba is presenting, I have no idea. It'd be malpractice were it not exactly what I assume Trump wants.

And I think the reasonable counter to that is that the harm is continuing and Trump is continuing to defame Carroll in order to keep it going which at least necessitates additional punative damages.

But, yeah, Habba is trying to argue the first defamation case again during the damages phase of the second. The "how much additional harm could he have done?" is the obvious path to minimize damages, so it's a sign of how lovely Habba is that she's not pursuing it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

IANAL and all, but going off what LegalEagle put in his YouTube video on the topic she is absolutely getting disbarred for her fuckery with the sexual assault case.

OK the *other* sexual assault case, not the one involving Trump.

OK OK the *other other* sexual assault case, not the one involving Trump directly but one of his restaurant managers.

It's important to remember that what she did in that case wasn't just the highest possible breach of attorney ethics, it was a felony. And the kind of felony that gets the book thrown at you so hard you can measure the blue shift. Habba will be lucky if she only gets disbarred.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's going to be some minor boring mishap but to admit to anything like that is weakness so Trump and his people will refuse to acknowledge it at all which will drive weirdos crazy.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kazil posted:

Swatting the White House now...

Trying to swat the White House might be the most hilariously stupid thing in the past two hours.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I acknowledge this is a stupid question an idiot would ask, but please be gentle.

Why would Johnson get removed over this? Yes, I'm sure he wants it to pass, but wouldn't enough Republicans also vote for it to render the HFC's tantrum irrelevant?

Dems want this to pass too, right? My tiny pea brain isn't seeing the problem here.

There isn't a large enough R majority in the house to make anyone's temper tantrum irrelevant. And since the rules are anyone can call for the speaker to be kicked out at anytime, two or three people mad that the bill didn't gut federal funding for puppies and kittens can break government again.

Basically, any compromise that gets dems on board loses a minimum of one-third of the nutjob party. The only way to keep the lights on right now is to get dems to agree to something because the nutjobs are fractured and too many want too many contradictory things. So the best that they've been able to do is kick the can down the road and that will still likely result in Johnson getting the boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lolling as I remember that McCarthy cut a deal with dems to protect him after the last continuing resolution vote, then he went on TV and poo poo talked them and blamed them for all of the stupid poo poo his own party did, so democrats went, "McCarthy who? Never heard of him," when the vote to chuck him came up a few days later.