Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

syntaxfunction posted:

I mean, you just google the name in the comic and it tells you the author is a they/them, vegan, feminist, conservative, Catholic pro-lifer.

So basically it's the brony comic again. Kind of boring tbh.
That seems particularly incoherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Burning_Monk posted:

It has worked out great for the donors. Literally could not have been better. They have their cake and get to bitch that democrats poisoned it on the news every night.
What the gently caress are you even babbling about.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Andrew Fleischman is an actual practicing GA defense attorney so if he's vouching for this story, this might be incredibly funny and stupid.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A closing argument is a summing of your presentation of the case and while there's definitely variance and leeway depending on the type of case, the venue, and the particular judge, there's simply no loving way Trump can stick to a script that's germane and short enough to not make everyone there wish for death.

He'd absolutely try to reargue the entire case, go off on random tangents, and take multiple days. Every possible faux pas with this kind of thing.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A GJ will, per the aphorism, indict a ham sandwich, so the case was presented poorly (purposefully or not) or the jury had gotten wind of the case and already made up their mind before it even went to them.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Coolguye posted:

A thousand goons reflexively post yes without thinking about what that means or considering the ramifications of their post

The ten goons that do also post yes
I mean I say yes too, but I appreciate what it means, those that actually want it do not.

The real killshot would have been to play along and ask specifically what in that two page resolution he found objectionable that he says he prepared so well for it. Don't get drawn into the intelligence game.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Grey Cat posted:

When do we get the fine?
Whenever Engoron issues the written opinion, he says no later than the end of the month but who knows. I imagine he's already chosen a particular decision, but legal writing to support it doesn't flow from the fingers like a forum shitpost so it could be a while. Also he has other cases he has attend to which likely require a bit of catching up on.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"You can't fly home and will be stuck in DC because all the air traffic controllers will be on furlough" probably focuses minds a bit.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I think what would be more interesting is what the non-HFC does. If the deal gets put to the vote and passes with Dem support, it might be worth it for the Dems to vote to keep him since he's someone they can work with (no guarantee the next Speaker will!) That will also drive the HFC completely bonkers because he'll be perceived by them to be a Dem puppet, and the Dems still retain effective veto over any measures they don't like. "Hey, we kept someone brokered a deal acceptable to us, we're not the partisan loonies, ask the Republicans who tried to throw out their own Speaker!"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ElectricSheep posted:

listen, don't threaten ME with a good time
Right? The industry is so dirty that everyone is a felon isn't the defense you think it is you dipshits.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Tsai is pretty popular, no? Hopefully that translates positively but I admit not knowing enough about Taiwanese politics to say anything other than to potentially embarrass myself.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

lmao, you don't get file for a continuance at 3:59 PM on a friday three days after the announcement of the death. You transparent rear end in a top hat.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Probably doesn't work if the judge actively doesn't want you to attend the trial in the first place...
Pretty sure literally everyone involved doesn't want Trump involved at the trial. The judge doesn't want to deal with his bullshit, the court doesn't want to deal with the extra security, the plaintiffs don't want the likelihood he's going to say something that will prejudice the trial, his own attorneys want him to go away so they can make the arguments without needing to grandstand before him. An enormous liability to the trial.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In Taiwan politics chat Lai Ching-te won the election, with the other two opposition parties splitting their vote. This will ensure a more independent stance from the Taiwanese government and pissing off China.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A ton of people think it's gonna be Biden versus Generic Republican™ and not a rematch against Trump. There's a lot of evidence that once the lines actually solidify and reality sets in the swing in the polling as the actual day of reckoning gets closer will be more realistic.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

There are absolutely ways to poll with statistically meaningful results, and it's possible that even now the polls broadly reflects current beliefs. It's that we have to both consider whether the polls are statistically rigorous, and whether those current beliefs will actually look like what happens 11 months from now when people go physically pull the levers.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

kazil posted:

Ok, but does that delay the E Jean Carrol trial now?
No, he's only able to withdraw because it doesn't affect the trial or at least he's asserting in the motion to withdraw that it doesn't really change anything. In the event that's a problem for Trump to solve, not a court/plaintiff problem.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah cancer is complicated, but I've also been seeing a lot of really promising stuff like that for targeting specific types of cancer. There will never be a one shot fits all for cancer, but I think we're in the near future of having very promising treatments for most common types.
I mean it's almost as if their understanding of both the basic science in what a vaccine does and the cutting edge of research in the manifold fields the topic touches upon can fit inside a thimble! And not a real thimble, the toy thimble piece that comes with Monopoly board game sets.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The entirety of the Atlantic's reporting both during and after Trump's presidency has been "YOU SHOULD BE MORE AFRAID OF TRUMP AND WHAT HE'S DOING. NO, MORE AFRAID THAN THAT. YOU AREN'T AFRAID ENOUGH!"

The point of the article isn't to encourage people to try to understand Trump and his plucky li'l supporters, it's to get people to stop seeing Trump as an "abstraction" and understand that they should BE MORE AFRAID that he might be reelected. Which might be a reasonable ask in a vacuum, but given the Atlantic's last few years, it's pretty nakedly an attempt to pump up the fear-o-meter so people will buy and read more Atlantic articles about how MORE AFRAID they should be of Trump. This is absolutely an example of the media profiting off the appearance of a close election.
"The media is normalizing Trump's fascist language lulling us into the failure to democracy to sell clicks."

Also,

"The media is reporting hysteria about Trump to sell clicks."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It is in fact possible for different outlets to take different strategies to sell clicks, yes. But both of these strategies require the appearance of a close election.
This is kind of nonsensical? Either Trump is a threat or he's not, and if he is then you're sounding the alarm for a media this thread (rightfully) points how we're sleepwalking into a fascist nightmare. Like, gently caress, how are you supposed to report on him then?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The post I originally responded to was talking about how the media is very interested in the election appearing close, and someone was trying to use the Atlantic article as a counterexample. I was just explaining why the Atlantic wanted the election to look close too.

The Atlantic is very much not sleepwalking into a Trump victory, but they're definitely the exception rather than the rule.
You can't possibly do the corrective necessary to counter a MSM intent on treating it as a normal election with the usual race metaphors without saying "hey, idiots, Trump is a real menace." Think about what you're saying, there can be no way to cover Trump that isn't in your mind tainted by the need to "sell clicks" because these are necessarily opposing approaches, because that's literally how you counterprogram that sort of thinking. If a mass of outlets are going "Generic Republican is winning Iowa," then you raise the proper specter of a fascist Trump by, well, pointing that out. Again, how the gently caress are you going to cover the story that isn't going to trip whatever part of your brain that sees ulterior motives in everything?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Her firm advertised near the Bedminster golf course, which is the main thing I believe. That's it.

And once she caught his attention she did all she could to ingratiate herself into his favor.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Three Olives posted:

But just imagine believing yourself to be a competent businessman and just like "Yep, this idiot." Surely Wachtell has at least one very damaged attractive women working for it that wasn't worried about passing the bar exam.
I'm sure there is in fact some combination of capable, attractive, willing to debase themselves for career advancement, but a continuing through line in the legal sagas Trump is enduring is the fact that he brings so much reputational risk that none of the actual prestigious firms want anything to do with him. Even a mega firm like Skadden doesn't want his stench on them.

Like a former POTUS should have attorneys fighting to represent him. But he has to rely on attorneys whose resume include fighting over a parking lot business. Absolutely incredible.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

And the judge allows it
As long as he's not on the stand he can mutter to himself all he likes. If it gets too loud or visibly signals to the jury he'll get warned then tossed on his ear out of the courtroom.

Defamation isn't the tort of believing in false statements, it's in the publication of them to an audience. It would be better for Trump to not be so visibly upset, but then he wouldn't be Trump.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Coolguye posted:

i forget what page it was people were talking about payments, but to answer that:

in general it's pretty difficult to compel payments from bank accounts, but it does happen. mostly the plaintiff needs to show that the person they're trying to get money from has a known habit of aggressively refusing to pay their bills, which, uh, isn't hard to do in trump's case when he's stiffed many entire CITIES. and at that point you get orders to loot standing money out of their bank accounts (which all have to KYC you so your banks definitely know who you are and can absolutely be compelled to turn over account information to the government), and/or garnish your earnings.

all of that takes a lot of time though so what's most likely to happen is that trump will die in the next 2-ish years and Carrol will have a claim against his estate.
Trump's already posted the full amount of the original judgment as bond against the appeal. Unless the CA2 or SCOTUS disturbs the judgment, that's guaranteed money just waiting for the appellate process to run itself out.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

dr_rat posted:

Isn't tree law meant to be one of the most punitive in the US? I remember every time Tree law comes up posters always mention that.

Trump really should commit more tree crimes.
Tree law arises because trees are (in the law) important economic assets and also are things that take decades if not centuries to grow. Treble damages, being forced to replant illegally felled trees with mature trees of the same type, condemnation of buildings erected over the site of those trees, basically if you get a judgment against you that involves tree law you should simply go straight into bankruptcy.

Unfortunately Trump's probably not gotten caught violating tree law (which isn't a body of law per se but still very funny to reference) but we can hope.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The strongest argument that can be made, as likely has been raised in the thread already, is that the defamation has fully done the harm it is going to and no further award is necessary since there is nothing to compensate. It's not a particularly great argument imo but that's the sturdiest reed upon which you hang your defense.

Whatever the gently caress Habba is presenting, I have no idea. It'd be malpractice were it not exactly what I assume Trump wants.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ouhei posted:

I mean I assume this is all just to put on a show to make MAGA more enraged about how unfair the deep state is being to Trump so they get him re-elected. Realistically that's the only way he escapes being totally hosed by years end.
None of that helps him a whit in a civil case.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Ouhei posted:

He doesn't care to actually win, the point is to play victim and hope to try and delay anything as long as possible so he can then try the "well I can't pay/do this, I'm president" defense. There is no chance to win nearly any of these cases (especially the civil ones), so the only play is to play victim for the MAGA crowd.
He can keep playing victim, but it has exactly the same effect as my posting "I'M BANKRUPT!!" on the forum, none. He can't even put off paying Carroll because as a condition of appealing the first judgment he had to deposit the full amount with the court as a bond. He's effectively already paid her.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

pixaal posted:

No he hasn't his lawyer has
Someone's paid the court several million dollars and Habba's firm isn't likely to have that money just lying around. Even if it's ultimately dirty cash, that's not cash that Trump has access to now for fish delites. Either way Carroll literally has money in the bank, and that's not money that Trump can misuse elsewhere if we're treating all these funds as his own.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Hollismason posted:

How much was the first settlement in cash?
$5 million total compensatory and punitive.

Steadiman posted:

I honestly can't follow this at all, it feels like three different conversations mashed up together
Habba loving up basics of procedure for cross-examination of witnesses.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

As a reminder, there are legit and strong precedents that "officer" of the United States specifically does not include the presidency under certain specific constructions of con law that posters like Mr. Nice! can better explain because they have the cites and poo poo. I am highly aware of those constructions and where those apply with respect to certain interpretations of what is an officer of the United States. That's current law in a lot of places, and this stems in part from the reality that of the executive branch personnel, only two are actually elected: the President and VP. Everyone else is an appointee, whether politically or using the machinery of the civil service. So that's not insane at all given where we're at in terms of relatively esoteric areas of law that we normally don't discuss like this.

I disagree with the stance, but my opinion is actually the minority position in this regard.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Three Olives posted:

Yes, this has been brought up, but I believe others have also brought up that Trump himself has specifically and vigorously argued that he is in fact protected from certain legal actions in his position as an officer conducting official duties, the official duties being calling E. Jean Carroll a lying whore because the fact that he raped her made him look bad. And he raping her is now legally an established legal fact.

edit: Also, SCOTUS saying he is in fact an officer is a really convenient precedent that they are fully allowed to established that says Presidents can do really awful stuff, like how they love qualified immunity so much, but they can't just like assassinate a political rival. It's the kind of fun squishy line that they get to decide over and over again depending on what Harlan Crow brings up on his yacht in Monaco after flying them there on a private plane for an all-expense vacation that they lie about taking.
Oh, the immunity part is borderline frivolous and it was revealed to be so when Trump's attorneys were asked at the circuit court level if he was in fact immune if he ordered a SEAL team to take out a political rival. But what counts as an "officer" of the United States is very much a counterintuitive "eh, probably not" as applied to the president in a surprisingly large number of cases.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I imagine that all the "no-crime" zones will magically be majority white residences. Funny how that works out.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

bird food bathtub posted:

I don't buy for a nanosecond that he did it for moral reasons but I will absolutely nod along to the idea that it was self preservation. If you don't want to be sanctioned, thrown to the wolves to pay for it on your own and then disbarred without being paid for the job as your reward you don't work for Trump.
Joey Tacopants has a successful practice outside of Trump so is making the obvious calculation that no matter how good the "press" is from defending a former POTUS, it's not worth his license.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ishikabibble posted:

Furries already have, that suit is banned from pretty much every convention lmao
Do you have links to this? I'm now morbidly interested in the stories behind Confederate furry.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

the article posted:

She said, “They’re people without a lot of power in their own lives, so the fandom is a place where you can exert that power. Or at least, you can also find more friendships and connections with other people.” Some Nazi furries, especially those in the higher ranks, really believe they are on a path to a white ethnostate. Others are merely grifting. But a lot of them find themselves trapped.
Feels like a repeated theme wrt to right-wing groups.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

That's an argument that definitely worked for William Jennings Bryan.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

MrQwerty posted:

It's illegal for him to run as an independent in 47 states at this point
Like he can't be on the ballot printed as an independent party line, but he'll still campaign and urge write-ins. Nothing can stop him from holding rallies (in the venues that'll still accept his credit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It's not a crime (and would be unconstitutional to prosecute it as such) but the states can absolutely go "you already had a shot during the primary, we don't have to put your name on the ballot a second time" which is what those laws are doing. They have to count the write-ins but lol if you think anyone's winning EVs based on a write-in campaign.