Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
How are you goons finding new music? Are there any good new places to find music that aren't entirely dictated by stupid loving algorithms?

This excellent podcast was one of my favourite sources of good new underground music, but it just shut down after 439 episodes :(

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/independent-music-podcast/id981100481

Please help me find the new ways to locate good new music! Thanking ye kindly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I listen to the radio and hope for the best.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I generally don't, I have a shitton of good music to catch up with from the past eighty-ish years

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
My main sources are Pitchfork, The Quietus, BBC Radio 6 and occasional KEXP. Year of end lists are good in particular - I might be a few months "late" to something, but whatever.

Basically, with PF, I'll check what's reviewing well and give it a listen. If I like something, there's often an interview with the band where I can check out *their* influences, label-mates, touring partners and so forth, and that can sometimes help.

The Quietus is much more hit or miss, but they champion a lot of obscure releases and stuff only released on Bandcamp, especially in their genre columns.

Radio 6 or KEXP, I'll have on while doing chores or working and sometimes something will catch my ear. Radio 6 is a bit, I don't know, tasteful though? Like, I want The Chats and Wednesday and they'll give me worthy stuff like Kae Tempest or whatever. They can be good, but it can feel like a station for aging, middle-class London hipsters sometimes.

The least "cool" way is probably Spotify - the algorithm doesn't quite get me, and that's probably true of everyone, but it unearths the occasional gem.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I read the music subforum on something awful dot com

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i like to go to the record shop and buy random electronic discs based on cover art/album title alone. usually compilations or mixes, then i find cool new artists by looking up the tracks i like

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Year-end lists, hack the planet dnb mix show, the Bandcamp radio metal show, and this one guy's playlist on spotify that is a goldmine of obscure instrumental doom bands.

unknown butthole
Jan 2, 2020

The old customs remain
and the ancient gods live on
I've had Spotify premium since it came out and my algorithm is so fine tuned it regularly finds poo poo I like even if they have like 10 monthly listeners. I actually once found a local band named Smoke Mountain that had 13 monthly listeners. Went to their show and hung out with them till the bar closed. Pretty cool night.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
usually by going to bandcamp and quickly jumping through tracks while looking the the genres that i like. also i have sirius which sometimes has good new artists but also has a lot of very safe old music.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

On a regular basis I listen to podcasts, watch Bandcamp for new releases and follow a few people who wishlist/buy the kind of music I like, and hang out on a couple discords where people talk about music specific to the scene. Then I watch year-end lists to see what I missed. Also sometimes I let algorithms throw things at me to see what they come up with. It’s a surprising amount of work but I find it fun to keep up with my little scene so it’s worth it for me.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
I used to use reddit a lot. I would frequent r/listentothis and add anything that looked vaguely interesting (based on the name, artist's name, or the genre) to my YouTube "Watch Later" list. Then at some point, usually after I've forgotten what-all I've collected, I'd sit down, pull up YT on the PS5 and some good headphones (sometimes blazed), and plow through a bunch of it to see what i liked. On top of this I'd also add stuff I found randomly on twitter, these forums, or various random blogs in my RSS feeds. Nowadays I lean more on Spotify although I sometimes just peruse whatever stuff YT recommends. There's some good accounts on Bluesky/Mastodon that always recommend good stuff, like Catbus and their Shoegaze reccs.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Some previous posters mentioned listening to the radio, so I'll drop this link to radio garden here.

http://radio.garden/visit/bergen/niAlog69

It's a pretty awesome website / app you can use to search for radio stations from all across the world. I've found some pretty good music just by dropping in on some random country and random radio station and just listening to what they have. Sometimes the radio channels you're listening to have a website with a log of what they've played throughout the day which makes it easier to find new songs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A way I've used for a long time is just finding out what the musicians I already enjoy listen to. When I was young, I read interviews with Kurt Cobain and quickly realized he had pretty good taste.

So read some interviews, find out what artists you like listen to. It won't always be successful but I've found so much good stuff this way.

Also, if you're the type who likes reading about music history like I am, read books about influential scenes/labels. You will find hidden gems, and learn about musical influences.

The Quietus is also good, and there's a YouTube channel called It's Boundo where the guy listens to backlogs and gives his opinion. He also does deep dives on artists.

There's another channel called deep cuts that does dives on artists, so, if you find an artist like Nick Cave daunting, he's helpful and enthusiastic.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Bandcamp, BrooklynVegan, Rough Trade Edit List, WFMU, the melon, Spotify Release Radar and Discover Weekly algorithm.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I dunno, the only good new music groups I've heard in the past like 10 years has been The Lemon Twigs and I think that was just a fluke or random encounter that went well

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

A way I've used for a long time is just finding out what the musicians I already enjoy listen to.

I use a similar method with Bandcamp, except it's user based. You go to an album you really enjoy, then you start randomly clicking through a few user profiles and nose through their library. Sometimes you strike out and you find someone who has a similar musical taste and you can either follow them and check out what albums they're buying, or just raid their library and add whatever albums you find interesting to your wishlist. It's a bad habit if you're not on top of it, though. I managed to let it add up to 4000+ albums.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

it has its own issues like any site, but rateyourmusic has turned me on to more new/different music than anything else, especially exploring by different genres and using different sorting and filters within its charts

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The spotify discover weekly actually throws out some good poo poo even with my weirdo taste. I listen to shows on https://www.mixcloud.com Find a DJ I like and you can follow them and see what shows they are listening to and so on.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I've found the usual algorithms a pretty poor source for interesting new music, the vast majority of my collection in the past few years has come from following people and genre groups on Soundcloud and social media, and yes even threads on SA :)

Then of course theres digging into the back catalog of all the bands i missed from the '80s/'90s

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I listen to other bands on the record labels of bands I like OP

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

I use an app called music harbor. It lets me follow every artist in my streaming library (Spotify + Apple Music), lets me follow releases from record labels, and lets me add everything to a streaming playlist straight from the app. It rules.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
As someone else said....I'm still trucking through full albums from the 90s and 00s....so new music isn't really much on my radar outside of a few newer bands that I like. If I'm feeling like hearing for something new, I like the discover mode on Youtube Music. App has more than enough to base some recommendations off.....and I'm no longer surprised when a song or a band pops up that I'm really into.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
There used to be a (pretty sure it was goon) goon made radio cast that had obscure Japanese bands with a ton of stuff i'd never heard before.
Sadly this was like 10-15 years ago and any full session MP3s I had of it are long gone.
Would love to hear that or something like it again.

Now my only source of new stuff is browsing through the radio stations on this page and then listening to them while playing American Truck Sim.
It has a bunch of stations from all over the world.
https://truck-simulator.fandom.com/wiki/Radio_Stations

OgNar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 5, 2024

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I like to dig through the Terminal Passage youtube channel, they've uploaded like 600 obscure records from the 70s and 80s at this point, so I just point myself at whatever album cover looks interesting and see if it holds up. Found a lot of cool japanese jazz from the 70s that way. At the point the youtube algorithm recommends a lot of weird old bands to me too.

I also like to dig through whatever my favorite bands are listening to on bandcamp.

Then, in meatspace, I go to record shops and talk to the weird old guys who lurk there to see what they're into, and they're so excited to have someone ask they load me up with reccs.

And of course there's the old standby of asking my friends what they're listening to these days. Oddly I find the least stuff I like this last way, most of my friends have very different musical taste from me, but when something does hit I immediately have someone to bond with over it and to tell me what to check out next.

EDIT: Oh and just sort of scooting around on radiogarden can really show you some stuff too

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 5, 2024

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

I'm in a Facebook group for oddly specific spotify playlists, which is convenient for finding songs that (strangers think) fits the mood I'm in. It's turned me on to a lot of new stuff.

some good ones:

songs with a spacey lil arpeggio

instrumental pieces from lesser-known artists

inspired by House of Leaves

Shishkahuben fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 7, 2024

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

OgNar posted:

There used to be a (pretty sure it was goon) goon made radio cast that had obscure Japanese bands with a ton of stuff i'd never heard before.
Sadly this was like 10-15 years ago and any full session MP3s I had of it are long gone.
Would love to hear that or something like it again.

Well, gbs-fm still exists: https://gbs.fm/192

Doesn't play that many obscure Japanese bands nowadays, but I can sort something out. If you're interested in joining in and adding stuff yourself, the thread's just over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877320

Feb 8, 2024

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Minotaurus Rex posted:

How are you goons finding new music? Are there any good new places to find music that aren't entirely dictated by stupid loving algorithms?

This excellent podcast was one of my favourite sources of good new underground music, but it just shut down after 439 episodes :(

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/independent-music-podcast/id981100481

Please help me find the new ways to locate good new music! Thanking ye kindly

Yeah pretty much in the same bind. Found a ton of good stuff through Independent Music Podcast and happily threw a fiver their way in Patreon for that. Haven't ran into a replacement, so nice to have few suggestions here.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Lunsku posted:

Yeah pretty much in the same bind. Found a ton of good stuff through Independent Music Podcast and happily threw a fiver their way in Patreon for that. Haven't ran into a replacement, so nice to have few suggestions here.

I was also sending them a fiver a month through Patreon. Was a great podcast, drat shame it’s probably finished now

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'
Thanks for the responses everyone btw. And to contribute something I also come across a lot of good new music on the goon watch party website https://goontu.be/ .. many massive YouTube playlists saved from tunes people shared on there!

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Dandelion Radio is an internet radio station set up by and for people inspired by John Peel's radio shows on the BBC, so if you're looking for that "I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to hear next" feeling it is probably worth a listen.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Dandelion Radio is an internet radio station set up by and for people inspired by John Peel's radio shows on the BBC, so if you're looking for that "I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to hear next" feeling it is probably worth a listen.

Hell yeah, looks dope :moonrio:

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Soundcloud is wonderful for underground hits and emerging artists. The algorythm got me to Dolor, Lorn way before Spotify caught on they make some great stuff.
There is also this ASCENSION from cloud general broadcast that has some snazzy lesser known tunes and artists. https://soundcloud.com/cloud-general

Spotify algorythm does sometimes spawn some truly amazing stuff. For people for whom it doesn't, it kinda gets stuck quite often for a long time in order to save bandwith.
You can force it to recalculate by listening to something new.
https://everynoise.com/ Is a good resource for that as it maps every genre on Spotify and organizes them between two axis. Vertical is how organic or mechanical it is and horizontal is how atmospheric or bouncy the genre is.

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023
Took a ferry over to Vancouver for a Silversun Pickups show last weekend and met some cool people. Ended up on a three day hang where we talked music/listened to music, alot.

So besides the usual outlets, find cool people who listen to cool stuff. My playlist has expanded drastically. Stuff I've never heard of and never would have found, normally.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

KEXP. Love the human element to radio, and the genre shows especially on that channel are amazing.

The punk, metal, EDM, afrobeat, psych, and Asian music shows especially are so fuckin good.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Over the last couple of months I’ve found some good new bands

- Discovered Lime Garden and NewDad via reviews in Uncut magazine

- Was recommended Silent Forum and Edwin R Stevens by a record store in Cardiff

- Juppe, Grande Mahogany and The Last Dinner Party were all reviewed on the TV show Levyraati. (I’d heard The Last Dinner Party mentioned on BBC 6Music before, but didn’t know what they did.)

- Yin Yin came up as a suggestion on YouTube

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

don't come a knockin'

Creature posted:

Over the last couple of months I’ve found some good new bands

- Discovered Lime Garden and NewDad via reviews in Uncut magazine

- Was recommended Silent Forum and Edwin R Stevens by a record store in Cardiff

- Juppe, Grande Mahogany and The Last Dinner Party were all reviewed on the TV show Levyraati. (I’d heard The Last Dinner Party mentioned on BBC 6Music before, but didn’t know what they did.)

- Yin Yin came up as a suggestion on YouTube

Nice. I’m in Wales too 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Nice. I’m in Wales too 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I wish I were in Wales! I only visited Cardiff for a few days, hope to get back there one day because I loved it :)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

honestly apart from youtube rabbit holes (because you said sans algorithm),

-rateyourmusic dot com
-going to local record/cd shop and look for cool covers
-hear a song a friend plays when we're listening to music together (usually whilst board gaming or saturday night drinking games). my sudden adoration of the song depends on if i am tipsy or sober
-hearing it in public at cafes or stores and trying my best to discern a phrase i can later google
-remembering a long lost tune from yesteryear, going back and listening to it, and realizing something about something or myself or something i don't know
-$10 live music gigs, local music scene! fazerdaze, the beths, i heard them all when they were on $10 bills opening or whatever and now look at them :) the trick is to go regularly and support your local music scene! don't be afraid to go alone, always bring earplugs, never expect them to start their sets on time lol (20-40 minutes further into the night seems to be the rough bracket)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Me personally?

Promoters send me new indie music every week cause I’m the Program Director for my local community radio station.

**SHAMELESS PLUG***

I have a radio show every Monday 8-10pm EST called “Something You Might Have Missed” it’s all about independent and underrepresented artists. First hour is new/recent releases. Leans heavy into indie rock but I try to provide something for everyone.

https://www.wruu.org If you’re interested.

I post a lot of the stuff I like in the earworm thread.