Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In QCS and elsewhere I've seen a number of threads and posts talking about accountability.

I think this is a bit of a funny concept to talk about, what is accountability?

How does one balance the needs of mods the ability to do their jobs, and being somewhat free to have some measure of privacy to confer amongst themselves, with the needs of the community to be reasonably informed about the decision making process of those decisions?

I don't personally have much stake in the game, this is mainly just my own idea that just popped into mind, I don't in particular think this suggestion is necessary but...

Maybe it could be fun or funny? In addition to maybe assuaging some concerns of some posters?

Here is my idea, there's a complicated version, and a simple version.

The simple version is having some small but not trivially so number of powers, elected in staggered terms. Lets say 12 posters. They get a subforum that's public, and a super secret subforum that's not public, the forums equivalent of a SCIF for anything sensitive that needs to be discussed.

This senate makes up its own rules as to what its order of the day and processes are, the important thing is the following:

-They but not the forums at large, either get access and can see the mod forum, or are to be given a "State of the Forums" by an appropriate Admin about things being discussed, and/or some sort of subpoena power where if a majority agrees that they wanna question Moderator/Admin XYZ, then Mod/Admin XYZ have to do a AMA in either the Senate forum or its SCIF (if sensitive content). And have to abide by and comply with orders to provide receipts relevant to the business of the day.

*The More Complicated version.

-Two Houses. 1 Senate, 1 House; the Senate is appointed or elected by Mods of respective subforums on staggered terms. DIY, Games, D&D, etc all get to send 2 Senators. The House is elected forum wide. Each Subforum maybe gets to determine how they pick Senators. This is to provide specific forum-contextual representation in addition to forums wide representation of the user base as a whole. Something like there's 2x, say 69 Represenatives more than the number of Senators, and enough senators for 2 per subforum (sub-subforums don't get representation, they are like territories).

Other than that everything is the same as above.

-Who would want to be a Rep/or Senator? Why would you do this?

Perhaps they could have perks. Such as a special gangtag or avatar to reflect their heightened status.

Other perks could be something like 1 get out of cat jail free card a month, free pm's, archives, and so on.

-Pros

The regular forum usership would have representation that have a higher degree of power to ask questions of the moderation team, and be able to see things "behind the scenes" to some degree.

Imagine just how fun it will be, for us, the common forums user, to see our duly elected forums reps devolve into the UK House of commons in slapfighting once they have the chance to, a new form of forums entertainment.

In addition that depending on how it is structured, could be a fun forums game underneath it.

-Cons

Probably a lot of work to set up. Coding and organizationally.

Probably a lot more forums acrimony. I.e imagine the reps from two different subforums at each others throats. This could be considered a pro, but also probably a con if we do expect this to be somehow constructive.

Could easily perhaps go from "being accountable" to "witchhunt but now with official powers" without a strong and motivated loyalist faction to play defence.

Another forum I've been to, Stardestroyer.net did something like this, and the forum's owner had to nuke it because of how dysfunctional it ended up being. So precedent would tilt this towards being possibly a bad idea, but on the other hand, are we not the greatest forums in the world that's ever been or ever will be? We could probably make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
disgusting

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

i will mod the senate forums

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think we should have a randomly accumulated hooting mob run things

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Nah. It's just going to comprise of the worst people.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Maybe Stardestroyer.net's senate just needed a strong Palpatine like figure to take over.

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

fart simpson posted:

In QCS and elsewhere I've seen a number of threads and posts talking about accountability.

I think this is a bit of a funny concept to talk about, what is accountability?

How does one balance the needs of mods the ability to do their jobs, and being somewhat free to have some measure of privacy to confer amongst themselves, with the needs of the community to be reasonably informed about the decision making process of those decisions?

I don't personally have much stake in the game, this is mainly just my own idea that just popped into mind, I don't in particular think this suggestion is necessary but...

Maybe it could be fun or funny? In addition to maybe assuaging some concerns of some posters?

Here is my idea, there's a complicated version, and a simple version.

The simple version is having some small but not trivially so number of powers, elected in staggered terms. Lets say 12 posters. They get a subforum that's public, and a super secret subforum that's not public, the forums equivalent of a SCIF for anything sensitive that needs to be discussed.

This senate makes up its own rules as to what its order of the day and processes are, the important thing is the following:

-They but not the forums at large, either get access and can see the mod forum, or are to be given a "State of the Forums" by an appropriate Admin about things being discussed, and/or some sort of subpoena power where if a majority agrees that they wanna question Moderator/Admin XYZ, then Mod/Admin XYZ have to do a AMA in either the Senate forum or its SCIF (if sensitive content). And have to abide by and comply with orders to provide receipts relevant to the business of the day.

*The More Complicated version.

-Two Houses. 1 Senate, 1 House; the Senate is appointed or elected by Mods of respective subforums on staggered terms. DIY, Games, D&D, etc all get to send 2 Senators. The House is elected forum wide. Each Subforum maybe gets to determine how they pick Senators. This is to provide specific forum-contextual representation in addition to forums wide representation of the user base as a whole. Something like there's 2x, say 69 Represenatives more than the number of Senators, and enough senators for 2 per subforum (sub-subforums don't get representation, they are like territories).

Other than that everything is the same as above.

-Who would want to be a Rep/or Senator? Why would you do this?

Perhaps they could have perks. Such as a special gangtag or avatar to reflect their heightened status.

Other perks could be something like 1 get out of cat jail free card a month, free pm's, archives, and so on.

-Pros

The regular forum usership would have representation that have a higher degree of power to ask questions of the moderation team, and be able to see things "behind the scenes" to some degree.

Imagine just how fun it will be, for us, the common forums user, to see our duly elected forums reps devolve into the UK House of commons in slapfighting once they have the chance to, a new form of forums entertainment.

In addition that depending on how it is structured, could be a fun forums game underneath it.

-Cons

Probably a lot of work to set up. Coding and organizationally.

Probably a lot more forums acrimony. I.e imagine the reps from two different subforums at each others throats. This could be considered a pro, but also probably a con if we do expect this to be somehow constructive.

Could easily perhaps go from "being accountable" to "witchhunt but now with official powers" without a strong and motivated loyalist faction to play defence.

Another forum I've been to, Stardestroyer.net did something like this, and the forum's owner had to nuke it because of how dysfunctional it ended up being. So precedent would tilt this towards being possibly a bad idea, but on the other hand, are we not the greatest forums in the world that's ever been or ever will be? We could probably make it work.

tl;dr

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
too long, dear raenir

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I accept your nomination and election as cspam senator. Thank you please grant me access to the mod forum now.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

seems like you could get the same effect by moderators just acting more like regular posters and being less weird and proprietary about what goes on in the mod forums or their team discord channels or whatever

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I think we should be ruled by a class of wise philosopher-mods

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ik contest: lets rig these elections

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

I’m a forums anarchist so I believe everyone should have admin powers

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

speng31b posted:

seems like you could get the same effect by moderators just acting more like regular posters and being less weird and proprietary about what goes on in the mod forums or their team discord channels or whatever

mods disappearing into the mod forums and discord like a Dominions pantokrator

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the posting stamina of some posters is pretty incredible so the fillibusters would be something else

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Weka posted:

I think we should have a randomly accumulated hootington mob run things

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

But anyway I agree we should have an established list of Forums Senators, and absolutely ignore everything they say.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Gay Buttsex 2024

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

each mega thread should get one representative

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

CODChimera posted:

each mega thread should get one representative

I volunteer to represent the Trump thread.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Weka posted:

I think we should have a randomly accumulated hooting mob run things

- hoot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
a forums HOA sounds like a lot of fun, they could even have their own subforum to "debate and discuss" the latest issues

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I volunteer to represent the Trump thread.

done

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
we need independent forum ombudspersons and/or tribuni commentātorii who will represent the interests of the poster class

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

give me veto power

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember this, classic Raenir Salazar post. Raenir should unironically be made the only D&D mod.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I remember this, classic Raenir Salazar post. Raenir should unironically be made the only D&D mod.

who did the marble attraction vs marble absorption post?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

bedpan posted:

eripsa

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bedpan posted:

what is this

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i am going to actionably blow up the virtual congress of cspam

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I miss Eripsa. He was responsible for the only good D&D threads (I think they were in D&D?).

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

are you forgetting media analysis and criticism?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Entorwellian posted:

Nah. It's just going to comprise of the worst people.

I'm running

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the delegation from c-spam resolves to pass the motion declaring the representatives of D&D a "pack of retards", and we shall not yield the thread until such a time as it has passed

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The council of homos has spoken.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the delegation from c-spam resolves to pass the motion declaring the representatives of D&D a "pack of retards", and we shall not yield the thread until such a time as it has passed

the subcommittee has deemed that proper term for the plurality is "a murder"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Feels Villeneuve posted:

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU