Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Eeyo posted:

oil companies will probably use the data to avoid environmental reviews or some poo poo

now it's evil

i choose to live in a world where people just use it to learn about their backyard birbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i'm just joking, most likely the nerds at ebird will use it and maybe it'll get some people excited about bird conservation.

what they really need is a monarch butterfly cam or something, not a whole lot is known about individual butterfly migration.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we get these super out of place looking green parakeets around here, it's neat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monk_parakeet#United_States

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

akadajet posted:

Man, I'd buy this in an instant but it's missing the KVM their competitors are putting in their panels. So I have to wait.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienware-32-4k-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3225qf/apd/210-blmq/monitors-monitor-accessories

monitors have built-in KVMs these days? :monocle:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Not all of them, no.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

monitors have built-in KVMs these days? :monocle:

seems to be a lot of them are. so you plug in your laptop via usb-c with displayport alt-mode, then for your desktop rig you plug in your video and usb upstream cable like normal. then the monitor switches the usb hub based upon which input you're using.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

dang.....

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I haven’t bought a monitor since 2016 (still rocking dual 4k 24” dells) but a built in KVM sounds awesome

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
honestly i started hating kvms soon as monitors got reasonable. i have two 28's on my main setup and a 24 alongside for the stream box and i just use input director to move my mouse around. it just acts like one big computer. copy and paste works etc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1745519620721635332

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
FINALLY

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

so can i after a pound or two of beets

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
bird camera will send raw video to your local cops like ring cameras

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

bird camera will send raw video to your local cops like ring cameras

maybe it'll brighten up their day so they aren't such assholes.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

how much for the andrew tate doll that pisses blood

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Armitag3 posted:

how much for the andrew tate doll that pisses blood

quote:

Unfortunately, unless you're a medical school or other training facility with $70,000 grand or so lying around, you probably won't be able to buy one.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

goon project? there are figgielords here lets make it happen

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

quote:

This week at CES, the San Francisco-based grocery delivery and technology company is unveiling a smart cart that shows video ads on a screen near the handle. General Mills, Del Monte Foods, and Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream are among the companies who will advertise on the carts during an upcoming pilot at West Coast stores owned by Good Food Holdings.
Instacart says a screen might advertise deals or show a limited-edition treat, like Chocolate Strawberry Cheerios. It might also share real-time recommendations based on what customers put in the cart, like advertising ice cream if a customer buys cones.
Instacart got into the cart business in 2021 when it bought Caper, which makes smart carts with cameras and sensors that automatically keep track of items placed in them. Instacart says it expects to have thousands of Caper Carts deployed by the end of this year.

this poo poo sucks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

akadajet posted:

it's probably the least evil use of AI I've seen so far

what about the ais that theyre using to figure out if the cow is ready for slaughter via webcam or w/e?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

i sent this to my neighbourpal whos an er doc and was an emt for years and he responded "thats how you know youre doing it right"

Elder Postsman posted:

this poo poo sucks

ill just take my shirt off and put it over the handle on my own cart, also you'll be too blinded to see the ads on yours

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i doubt photovoltaics can power a screen and wifi network card so stores are going to get really tired of changing the batteries on those. they'll probably be secured as well as the points of sale and if they're cute and do some sort of mesh networking thing you may be able to goatse the entire store from the parking lot. so who can say if it's bad or not?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Midjack posted:

i doubt photovoltaics can power a screen and wifi network card so stores are going to get really tired of changing the batteries on those. they'll probably be secured as well as the points of sale and if they're cute and do some sort of mesh networking thing you may be able to goatse the entire store from the parking lot. so who can say if it's bad or not?

it's going to get piloted at five stores and never rolled out widely

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Elder Postsman posted:

this poo poo sucks

if i'm getting groceries delivered, i dont need a cart. i dont think they thought this through

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

honestly it seems like a great new resource for small sized led panels

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

they should make it like aldi, pay a quarter and you can shut off the ads

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Eeyo posted:

they should make it like aldi, pay a quarter and you can shut off the ads

subway eat fresh™ and freeze, scumbag etc

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Elder Postsman posted:

this poo poo sucks

look at how well the average basic rear end cart, a relatively durable construction of inert steel and rubber, survives the average american city

those LCD screens will have a lifetime of approximately 4 days before a homeless person smashes them

the parking lot security robots will weep for their fallen brethren

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

one of the kroger affiliated groceries around here put security locks on the cart wheels. i don’t shop there anymore.

bet that was a ces “innovation” at some point

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Eeyo posted:

i'm just joking, most likely the nerds at ebird will use it and maybe it'll get some people excited about bird conservation.

what they really need is a monarch butterfly cam or something, not a whole lot is known about individual butterfly migration.

ebird has had in house photo and audio recognition of birds for like five years now. you could diy this feeder toy for the price of a raspberry pi and a webcam and a few hours of work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Eeyo posted:

one of the kroger affiliated groceries around here put security locks on the cart wheels. i don’t shop there anymore.

those are really easy to steal, you just gotta carry them kinda high over the edge of the parking lot and then you can go back to roll mode

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

post hole digger posted:

if i'm getting groceries delivered, i dont need a cart. i dont think they thought this through

it’s brilliant. main product is make other people buy your groceries. now other people get stuck watching your targeted ads while they buy your groceries

I hope whoever had this dumb idea and signed off of it experiences homelessness for a few years then gets stuck working gig jobs forever

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I was at a Kroger yesterday, and the cart I was using locked the second I passed the security sensors into the entrance vestibule. It wasn’t the first time that happened.

I was at another Kroger with my dad, and he was using one of their motorized carts and it locked when we went over to where the in store Starbucks’s was.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Pinterest Mom posted:

identify an individual bird using images of their feet

glad to see wikifeet users finding a job in these rough times

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

remember when magazine racks were a thing, and you'd walk past the tech section and every single magazine had had some variation of "ipad killer?" on the cover?

rip the "hp" touchpad :sigh:

Elder Postsman posted:

this poo poo sucks

lol I can only imagine how shot to poo poo these will be in a place where they sit in the cold for half an hour regularly

Eeyo posted:

yeah, that poo poo sucks. when I was working carts and bagging at a grocery store, older customers would take the carts to their apartment building a bit aways. they got independence and mobility out of it, we got a happy customer, and we had plenty of carts to spare

the number of times a cart ended up two lots over was low, and we'd do a sort of fetch-and-swap with the neighboring stores occasionally when they'd get ours/we'd get theirs so it's not an unsolvable conundrum

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the cart locks have been a thing for years and years. tons of places up here have them but i’ve never had one lock up on me so idk how well they work. a common appearance at some stores is also the coin slot on the carts - you get your coin back when you bring your cart back to the store

i don’t see it as that big of a deal tbh

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

it's because they're treating you like a thief. it's just part of the tapestry of hostile design trying to enforce property ownership.

i'll just go to a store that doesn't have capitalist brain and tries to lock out carts when they wander too far away.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

how did this not win a top innovation award
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-blI6E5AEk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

those LCD screens will have a lifetime of approximately 4 days before a homeless person smashes them

lets not forget the scourge that are most people with just enough money to think they're upper class that treat everything like poo poo. they bust up and break poo poo just as much, if not more than, the unhoused