Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.cinenerdle2.app/battle

So Wordle and its clones (shout out Immaculate Grid for my baseball homies) are taking over, but this is something new. It's a Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon fighting game.

You queue up, there's 2 movies that will start every battle (changed daily) and you have to get the Director or an actor of a related movie. You can ban up to three names ahead of time (void on turn 1) and get a few lifelines, the most important of which is "Cast," and you throw it back and forth, naming unique movies until you lose. You can only name any actor/director 3 times total, between both people, so you can't just throw out Spike Lee's entire filmography back at each other before moving on.

It is highly addictive and there's already a bunch of tryhards who have memorized "That One Art Film shot in Sweden" that every famous actor has done to trap you in an area you don't want to be in.

I am Shrecknet on there obviously, it lets you issue direct challenges but you have to both be on at the same time so it's a little tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This is fun but I'm probably the worst player on the site, just got owned by someone playing a bunch of marvel movies in a row to give you a sense of how bad I am

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrDsWJfYRQI

This is a really good example of how the game plays out, and pretty funny/accurate to how I imagine most of CineD thinks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My opponent used Before Sunrise which put me in perfect position for the death blow with An American Werewolf in Paris.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Got beaten by someone playing "Leprechaun 4: In Space" and them having banned Warwick Davis. I skipped and they played another equally obscure Leprechaun movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

distortion park posted:

Got beaten by someone playing "Leprechaun 4: In Space" and them having banned Warwick Davis. I skipped and they played another equally obscure Leprechaun movie.

smdh you aren't intimately familiar with the Leprechaun franchise

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The key to victory seems to be to try not to use the same link as the opponent just used, because then you could be walking into a trap where they use that link for the 3rd time(which means you can't use it again) and you're left with an obscure movie that only had one name star in it. Like I got someone when we were going back and forth with Keanu Reeves movies but because I had the last shot, I hit him with 47 Ronin and because he couldn't use Keanu again he wasn't able to come up with anything else and I won.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
This is cool but I’ve played 10 games and started with blackkkkansman 6 times

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

smdh you aren't intimately familiar with the Leprechaun franchise

Miguel Nunez Jr is a huge link, too.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

This is cool but I’ve played 10 games and started with blackkkkansman 6 times

Yeah, Blackkklansman and American History X are today's 2 starting movies. It changes daily.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the link! I just managed to win a round using The Beastmaster, which is all I can ask for in a game, really.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

The key to victory seems to be to try not to use the same link as the opponent just used, because then you could be walking into a trap where they use that link for the 3rd time(which means you can't use it again) and you're left with an obscure movie that only had one name star in it. Like I got someone when we were going back and forth with Keanu Reeves movies but because I had the last shot, I hit him with 47 Ronin and because he couldn't use Keanu again he wasn't able to come up with anything else and I won.
that's the basic strategy, though you have to have your own out to the trap if they still have a skip. it's one of the few games I've ever seen where going second is desirable because you get to offer them the second use of your trap actor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's fun designing traps based on each day's starting movies. Like today with Rocketman I've been linking that to Peter Jackson's King Kong(via Jamie Bell), then if the opponent goes Lord of the Rings I've got them because I can take them into Hammer Horror territory via Christopher Lee which is home field advantage for me. Plus I put Lee on the banned list so they can't even use him to get out of it.

It's only actually happened once but it was pretty satisfying when it did!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I gotta check this out. Hopefully my knowledge of Albert Salmi, an OG Twilight Zone actor who did a ton of character work, can be rewarded!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

This game rips, incredibly addictive. Played the same guy a bunch back to back cause he was a good opponent but finally got the upper hand by steering it into the realm of Italian horror, winning on Mario Bava.

I'm TrixRabbi on there.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just a heads-up, Ryan Reynolds is an insane trap piece, if they give you anything you can spin to Ryan Reynolds on one, they will probably play Deadpool or some poo poo, then you hit them with Buried (the movie where he's the only character in a box underground).

The out for that is Red Lights by the same director, has Anthony Hopkins and Sigourney Weaver in it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

This game is super fun. One thing that I've noticed is that people will play Ocean's Twelve somewhat frequently when they need a movie with a big cast of stars and if they do you can throw them for a loop by using Robbie Coltrane as the link to Nuns On The Run.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is there anyway to set it up so that you always lead someone to Cannibal Holocaust.

edit:

Okay obviously we have to have a CineD contest using this game.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 11, 2024

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you get Karate Kid ('84) today and are going second... just ban Pat Morita, Ralph Macchio and Robert Mark Kamen. They will 100% give you a Ralph Macchio film, just go back to Karate Kid Part II and watch their lifelines drift away. If they hit you with the reverse, you've still got Karate Kid III

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I suck at this but it’s probably the long COVID.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

If you get Karate Kid ('84) today and are going second... just ban Pat Morita, Ralph Macchio and Robert Mark Kamen. They will 100% give you a Ralph Macchio film, just go back to Karate Kid Part II and watch their lifelines drift away. If they hit you with the reverse, you've still got Karate Kid III

If I'm going first off of Karate Kid I always immediately go to Rocky(directed by Avildsen) just to get distance from that whole Ralph Macchio/Karate Kid trap.

Also pro-tip for the other starter film, if they try to go Pursuit of Happiness on you, that movie has James Karen in it. You can then immediately take them to the deep waters of horror nerd territory with Return of the Living Dead.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I like banning Jackie Chan, starting from the 2010 Karate Kid, then going into Maggie Cheung/WKW world via Police Story. Only tactic I've used where I actually win games.

I don't get what the conditions are for a movie to be included. I couldn't find Teknolust (fair enough, tbh) or The Zone of Interest (less reasonable!)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I spent way too much time yesterday playing this, but I gleamed a lot about strategy and the metagame. Here's some tips.

- Try to break the starting chains for the day early. The usual patterns seem to form early so it's good to go look up some alternate routes and try to get away from the same patterns again and again and take your opponents into unusual territory. However, there can also be strength in following the same routes again and again. It's an individual playing style choice.

- Most people use their bans to trip up people's early game, like Schrecknet suggested, but I don't think that's the most effective use. What you want to do instead, if you're okay playing a little mean, is spring a trap with them. I started using one particular one I got caught in myself because it was brilliant. My opponent waited for me to play a film with Robert DeNiro in it and then hit me with Mean Streets. I then discovered he had blocked Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel AND Martin Scorsese. There are, of course, ways out of that but I died on the vine with that one and have since caught a few people with it myself. If you don't want to just rip off this particular one, I'm sure there's plenty of other films with limited famous casts where people won't know the supporting actors enough and you can win some games, or force them to burn their Skip.

- Speaking of, the most powerful lifeline is absolutely the Skip. It's not just that you get to escape a hard film, but you can also call your opponent's bluff with it. I've used skips in situations where I could have maybe guessed my way out of a particular film, but I had a sense given my opponent's playing that they wouldn't know the film they handed me either and I've won the game with a well-deployed Skip. As well, if your opponent still has their Skip you have to be careful and make sure you don't give them a film that you yourself can't answer. It may be crafty to end a string of Peter Jackson links with Meet the Feebles, but if your opponent still has their Skip then you better be prepared to name someone else involved in that film if you play it. Sometimes it's better to just layup an easy one in that instance and prolong the game than risk going out on your own film.

- Ryan Reynolds in Buried came up as a particular trap film. Another to be aware of is Willem Dafoe in Inside. You can try playing The Nine Lives of Tomas Katz, by the same screenwriter (Ben Hopkins) or The Vanishing (1988) which also has Belgian actor Gene Bervoets. I'm sure there's other traps out there but those two I've seen a lot.

- When people don't know an answer they'll tend to reach for big ensemble pieces to take stabs in the dark, and it's a good strategy! You should do it when you've got no other options. Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Gosford Park, Short Cuts, the Ocean's films all come up a lot. You can also try playing them legitimately early on to take them off the board for random guessing later if you want to be really strategic about it.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

When people don't know an answer they'll tend to reach for big ensemble pieces to take stabs in the dark, and it's a good strategy! You should do it when you've got no other options. Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Gosford Park, Short Cuts, the Ocean's films all come up a lot. You can also try playing them legitimately early on to take them off the board for random guessing later if you want to be really strategic about it.

Lots of excellent advice, thanks. (I fell into the Meet the Feebles trap earlier.) I am very, very glad that Richard Gere decided to make an appearance in Movie 43. I doubt he feels the same way, however.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The other thing about the Skip lifeline is that you can use it to put yourself back in the drivers seat instead of walking into an obvious trap. For example, lets say the opponent plays I Am Legend using Will Smith as the link. If you can't think of anyone else who was in that movie, by just giving in and linking to another Will Smith movie you're walking right into a trap where the opponent can use Will Smith for the third and final time and you could be stuck. Instead, you can take the advantage back by just using the Skip on I Am Legend, force them to link it to someone else or if they use Will Smith again now you're the one who can trap them.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Also, I don't know if they'll fix this later, but right now a lot of the times with famous adaptations the author of the novel is counted as a writer. So I got out of Orlando (1992) by choosing a random Mrs. Dalloway adaptation cause Virginia Woolf was credited as a writer. It's happened to me with Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and Stephen King. Feels like a cheap way to get out of a corner and they should maybe fix that, but right now it's part of the game so use it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

- Most people use their bans to trip up people's early game, like Schrecknet suggested, but I don't think that's the most effective use. What you want to do instead, if you're okay playing a little mean, is spring a trap with them. I started using one particular one I got caught in myself because it was brilliant. My opponent waited for me to play a film with Robert DeNiro in it and then hit me with Mean Streets. I then discovered he had blocked Robert DeNiro, Harvey Keitel AND Martin Scorsese. There are, of course, ways out of that but I died on the vine with that one and have since caught a few people with it myself. If you don't want to just rip off this particular one, I'm sure there's plenty of other films with limited famous casts where people won't know the supporting actors enough and you can win some games, or force them to burn their Skip.
You get to see whether you're on the play or draw (hi MtG thread!) beforehand; my Morita/Macchio ban only works on the draw, and you can edit your lists before each match. The thing I like to do right now, unless I'm in a situation where bans are autowins (like banning Will Smith on the draw vs. Karate Kid 2010, which an inordinate number of people send directly to After Earth or Pursuit of Happiness, which immediately lets you put them in Seven Pounds/Six Degrees of Separation hell) is ban Kubrick, Nolan, Spielberg, just to take the most common "famous actor, goad a response of other famous film with that actor, hit 'em with the Czech art film" that is the most common way to rack up wins right now.

Anyway glad CD is having fun with this, I highly recommend watching NorthernLion's vids where he plays this, dude is legit funny and knows his poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Horror knowledge is helping me more than anything else. People still apparently have no idea what From Beyond is, and any time Rob Zombie comes up it's easy to link Ken Foree to the various Gordon/Combs/Crampton films. One time I got to From Beyond by way of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. Also a lot of people get cocky when Sam Raimi/Evil Dead comes up but then they don't know what to do when I throw out Bubba Ho Tep because they have no idea who Don Coscarelli is. The one opponent who knew about Phantasm still got beat because who would know that Angus Scrimm is in Subspecies? This guy that's who.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Base you sound like an absolute terror. My wheelhouse is "early 80s fantasy/action" and "mid-90s DTV sleepers" and yours is "all of horror. heh"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

A really good movie to pull a swerve on people is Sam Raimi's Crimewave. You can jump from any Coen brothers movie to it and it will usually result in at least a cast lifeline being used.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Base you sound like an absolute terror. My wheelhouse is "early 80s fantasy/action" and "mid-90s DTV sleepers" and yours is "all of horror. heh"

The challenge is in guiding the game to my strengths though, because there are plenty of people playing who know a lot about stuff I'm not into. I'm far from undefeated.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Apparently "Adolf Hitler" stars in both Jojo Rabbit and Amsterdam

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
If this takes off and we.get a lot of people.playing I will arrange a CD round Robin tournament

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The little bits of communication you get via missed guesses are great. "Lion" off Life of Pi, "Shithouse" when you've trapped them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WTF and LOL are good movies to toss out. I've used This Is The End before typing RESIGN

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I just stumped someone with Rush Hour 3. They burned their view cast and skip with it cause Jackie Chan was used up...

I played it because I was tired of getting trapped feeling around for movies in Hong Kong but how do you not just go to Friday or Jackie Brown from there?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like the legacy of Friday is somewhat faded these days, I'm not sure younger people really know about it like everyone did 20 years ago. And Jackie Brown is Tarantino's most forgotten film. Really Chris Tucker's whole career is starting to become forgotten, The Fifth Element is becoming more and more of an obscure cult film with each passing year too. People know him because of Rush Hour and that's mostly it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

oh no are you addicted? I'm so sorry basebf :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna catch this fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Get their rear end!