Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I failed. I thought they might stop playing at some point in the last few hours but they didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
mfer locked me into mary kate and ashley olsen movies

HE KNEW THEM ALL

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

OldSenileGuy posted:

mfer locked me into mary kate and ashley olsen movies

HE KNEW THEM ALL

Ohh that is devious. I can get pretty far with Disney Channel movies but they're not all in the database.

That is one thing that drives me crazy, is I'll have a film in mind to jump to and it just won't be there. I tried throwing Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence back at someone by jumping to Nagisa Oshima films and I hit them with Death By Hanging. They skipped back to me and then...no other Oshima films I could think of were in the loving database. I had like three different options in mind but they didn't come up when I typed them in. Kind of infuriating to go down not for lack of knowledge but like...this sounds cocky but too much knowledge? It doesn't make sense, especially if they're using the TMDb API. Letterboxd has no problem cataloguing all those films under their English titles.

Sometimes it's American movies too! Tried to jump from Airplane! to The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar link) but the latter isn't there. Wanted to go from Rocky Horror to Americathon (Meat Loaf) but it wasn't there. Sure, these are obscure films, but that's the whole point of the game.

edit: I wonder if there's like, a popularity threshold a film needs to cross to be included?

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 12, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fun little tactic to keep in mind. If Ghostbusters 2 comes up you can go in two very different directions just by using Vigo. You can use the actor from the painting to take the game to Carpenterland(by way of In the Mouth of Madness) or you can use Max Von Sydow and take them to Bergmanland. Just try to use your best guess for which area your opponent is weaker in.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

With Clueless as one of today's movies you can take a hard left turn into horror town very quickly by linking Paul Rudd to Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Some magnificent bastard just defeated me after 70 moves by using Dr. Giggles, after they placed a block on Larry Drake. I'm too awestruck to be mad, honestly.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf, you gotta brush up on your Jonathan Demme :getin:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I tend to win more with strategy rather than sheer knowledge. I definitely have a lot of weak points so I have to control the game as much as I can.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I feel like I keep defaulting to the same movies for specific actors, I should try and branch out more and go down different weird paths, but I usually end up blanking on anything but the same core options.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Today is gonna be a great day to farm people. Ban Peter Cullen and John Hughes for extra fun (Judd Nelson is Rodimus and Peter Cullen means even if they get to the modern Bayformers you can still lock them out)

Pro Tip: Do your research beforehand and look up who the DP was on the starter films. As long as it isn't Roger loving Deakins, you can take them to some wild-rear end places on turn 1 and get them out of their patterns, which is the #1 thing to getting early lifelines burned and setting you up for your killshots.

For instance: Doctor Sleep? Michael Fimognari shot Dare and Au Revoir Taipei, two obscure art films that you can always get out of by naming anther Fimognari flick (To All the Boys I've Loved Before is a good one) if they try to reverse on you.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 13, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

This will be a great day for the horror nerds. You can also jump to any Stephen King adaptation you’d like!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Amazing what your brain will do when there's a countdown. I just somehow forgot that Raising Arizona was a Coen Bros film.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Amazing what your brain will do when there's a countdown. I just somehow forgot that Raising Arizona was a Coen Bros film.

I always feel like such a mug when I click the cast lifeline and see something like that

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Have gotten a shocking number of people out, or at least burning all their lifelines, by luring them to Enter the Dragon. The most shocking thing is not that people can't name another Bruce Lee movie, but so far no one has figured out they can escape, if by no one else, John Saxon.

Did have one person figure out the very famous person who is an extra in the film.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
The link between The Shining and The Beastmaster is a rare and wonderful thing.

Edit: I had no idea that WB cartoon shorts count as titles. Someone just stranded me on One Froggy Evening.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was on the ropes one time, the opponent played a movie I'd never heard of but when I looked at the cast it had Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I won with Game of Death.

filmcynic posted:

The link between The Shining and The Beastmaster is a rare and wonderful thing.

I was pissed when I lost to that because afterwards I realized Beastmaster is directed by Coscacrelli so I could've reversed it easily. Oh well.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

What's the link between The Shining and The Beastmaster? Is it direct or do you gotta go through a couple steps?

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

What's the link between The Shining and The Beastmaster? Is it direct or do you gotta go through a couple steps?

John Alcott was the cinematographer for both (along with Barry Lyndon).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I've started getting meaner. I blocked Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and John Saxon.

If you have The Shining first you go straight to Black Belt Jones. Like, 90% of people just send it back to me and then hit them with Enter the Dragon. There's really not any other Jim Kelly films in the database as far as I can tell beyond those two.

Had one person know Jim Kelly and actually gave me Enter the Dragon, but then they couldn't name any other Bruce Lee films, sent The Big Boss back to me and then died on Fist of Fury without the Lee block even being relevant.

Those quick wins are fun, but there's still nothing quite like a back and forth volley that lasts for close to 100 films.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I would need to test it, but does using a skip on your first chance mean you keep your "blocks don't apply" protection from turn 1?

Starter: The Shining
Me: Tron
Opponent: Skip
Me: Big Lebowski
Opponent: The Flintstones (but I have a John Goodman block in place)

Would the game let them play that, since they haven't answered yet? Or does Skipping on turn 1 count as "your first turn"?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It does use it up. The block would work.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

I've started getting meaner. I blocked Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and John Saxon.

Wow, that's an evil combo. Respect.

I'm enjoying the extended back-and-forth volleys too much to really focus on strategic blocks, although I have been starting to put in some directors that I'm shaky on, just as a precaution. Speaking of which, someone this morning started calling me a cheater after I followed up their Jim Wynorski title with another Wynorski. I love this game.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I dunno what the deal is but this thing disconnects on me constantly. Getting American Gangster going first is fun, block Idris Elba and put up the 2023 Netflix Luther movie that absolutely nobody watched.

Or you go first on American Psycho and hit em w/ the Sam Worthington, Christian Bale, Anton Yelchin ban and hit 'em with the Terminator: Salvation. Good luck knowing a McG movie off the top of your head, he sucks!

E: I did it... I got to Sudden Death as my 3rd Jean-Claude Van Damme movie and they had no response.

This is fun as hell but anyone have any ideas on as to why I time out all the time?

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 14, 2024

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ahahaahh

Me (:drac:): GotG
Opp (:downs:): Robot Chicken (Seth Green XX)
:drac:: Idle Hands (Seth Green XXX)
:downs:: <skip>
:drac:: Slackers (Devon Sawa X)
:downs:: The Fanatic (Devon Sawa XX)
:drac:: Population 436 (Fred Durst X)
:downs:: ...
:downs:: t:mad:

e: still had all deez

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Hahaha, I've been trying to get to Fred Durst to no avail.

Someone hit me with the Ip Man, so I hit 'em with the Ip Man 3, then they hit me with the Ip Man 2... TRAP SPRUNG! Sammo Hung is in that movie, but not any of the other Ip Man titled movies. I know you don't know Encounter of the Spooky Kind, get wrecked!

After American Psycho people frequently play The Dark Knight for whatever reason, so I go down the Aaron Eckhart path because nobody knows any Aaron Eckhart movies, including me, so they go for the only other one they know... the other Batman movie he's in. Then you hit 'em with the I, Frankenstein which nobody on Earth has ever watched.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 14, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ip Man 4 is also an option because it has Scott Adkins. Sadly most people still don't know who Scott Adkins is.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I think the tab restriction is what has been getting me, I'm not cheating but I do have separate windows I'm chatting with while playing and I think that's what's making it mad at me. I played a game with my sister and maxed out the timer and it didn't seem to disconnect me doing that, really fun to play with friends.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

If you're playing on mobile it's fritzed out and booted me midgame before. If you're on desktop it gives you like 7 seconds in another tab before you auto-lose.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
You go American Pyscho, Thor love and thunder, yes man, and then throw out once bitten as as third Jim Carrey movie and win every time

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

If you're playing on mobile it's fritzed out and booted me midgame before. If you're on desktop it gives you like 7 seconds in another tab before you auto-lose.

Nah, I'm on desktop. Even when I don't tab, or do anything but stay in the window, it frequently is timing me out and not showing me a countdown or that my opponent sent something, then reconnecting and giving me 3 seconds to answer, stuff like that.

Someone skipped me on Nightmare on Elm Street, so I put Swamp Thing and they put Adrienne Barbeau for The Thing, which to me is a deep cut. You don't know Wes Craven movies, but you know Adrienne Barbeau is in Swamp Thing and the voice of the computer in The Thing?

E: Someone hit me with Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice, I respond with Dawn of the Dead 2004, they scramble and put Dawn 1978. Wrong move, buddy, I've got 'em in a Friday the 13th hole where they don't know anything, and they wind up picking movies at random until I get them with Corey Feldman in Friday the 13th: A New Beginning. How do you not know any Corey Feldman movies, person? Are you 20 years old?

Someone tries to James Gunn you, just take them down the Lloyd Kaufman hole and lock them into Toxic Avenger. When they inevitably pass it back cuz they can't find any Troma movies without Lloyd, you hit 'em with the Free Willy 3.

E: Them, Old School. Me, Semi-Pro. Them, Step Brothers. Me, Walk Hard. Them, Magnolia. Trap sprung!. Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. It says Orlando Jones right there, dude!

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 15, 2024

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WarEternal posted:

. Trap sprung!. Cirque Du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. It says Orlando Jones right there, dude!
Orlando Jones? Star of Evolution, a $100m tent pole summer sci-fi comedy and Office Space, one of the funniest films ever made? How is that a trap?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I just meant in the sense that it was a 3rd John C Reilly movie that I know nobody has seen, I didn't even know Orlando Jones was in Magnolia. I was trying to say they had a visible listed out but didn't know any other Orlando Jones movies.

Yeah, it's something about my internet or something that the site hates. Tried playing on my phone and still get the time outs. Thought I finally mamaged to Robert Zdar someone because I used a 3rd Willem Dafoe for Spider-Man and they went with Drag Me to Hell and I went to the Maniac Cop movies. I said Maniac Cop, they said Evil Dead, I said Maniac Cop 3, they said Maniac Cop 2. Samurai Cop! But then I DC'd.

Maniac Cop 3 rules because you can use it for the Ted Raimi link but Sam and Bruce aren't in it. So if you're at a Sam or Bruce 3 they're done for.

Someone hit me back with a Coen Bros. 2 and I just went Crimewave for 3, they go Sam Raimi and then it's down the Maniac Cop hole. I literally just won one where they sequel'd me thru all the Maniac Cops but then I hit em with a plain old Maniac cuz William Lustig and they were cooked. Funny as hell.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 15, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Always nice when one of the movies has an Arnold-adjacent actor in it. I've introduced many people to Raw Deal and Hercules in New York over the past week.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

People have a tendency to match your sequel with another sequel/original.

A cheap win I got a few times with the Nope start going first is to say Tales From the Hood 2, they wanna go for Tales From the Hood, then you hit em with your Morgan Freeman, Josh Hutcherson bans and say 57 Seconds. They managed Tales 3 one time and then you whomp em with Deep Blue Sea 2. Keith David is also They Live bait so I can put Hell Comes to Frogtown, only happened once though.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The sequel/remake angle isn't a bad strategy when you're stuck and I've taken it myself at times. But when you're steering, you need to know your exit ramps and try to force them to end on the sequel you want them to end on. It's very easy to get to Critters 3 from Leonardo DiCaprio but you need to them know how to get away from Critters once they use up the other entries. I'm sure few people in this thread are worried about their Critters knowledge though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea there's sort of 2 different modes that you have to be able to switch between. The first mode is when the opponent still has their Skip lifeline, so you have to be a little more careful to only throw out movies you have an answer for. The other mode is when they've already burned their Skip lifeline, you can be more aggressive and use stuff that you don't have answers for because you know they can't throw it back at you. For example, Linnea Quiglely movies came up, and I had to be careful to use Night of the Demons first, then once the opponent had used their Skip I was comfortable going with Creepozoids for the win. But I have no idea who else is in Creepozoids so I can't just use that one right away.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I cannot overstress that, if going first, you 100% of the time want to use the Composer, as they will have the most varied filmography and will take the opponent right out of whatever they were planning, either burning a skip or a cast right out of the gate. You can even do what I did, send people from NOPE to See You Yesterday, which only has Michael J. Fox and then no one else, and ban Christopher Lloyd and strand them in some terrible BttF hellhole.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

That's a really good one, of course I'd just pick Frighteners if it happened to me, but if they Frighteners'd me I'd be in Jeffrey Combs land.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The other danger of Back to the Future is you're opening yourself up to Crispin Glover/Friday the 13th Part IV, which usually leads to easy victory for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I'm not very good at this, have zero strategy, but still find it fun as long as I don't blank. I was able to play Jesus' Son as a third jack black movie , had the opponent skip, and was like ok, which of the many Billy Crudup movies will I choose? And couldn't think of anything except him being in that appletv show with Reese Witherspoon. Just pathetic on my part

The big one for me yesterday was going from American Gangster to any Spike Lee stuff in the 90s and people who knew a million bad 00s movies couldn't name a single person in Malcolm X or Do the Right Thing. It was kind of embarrassing to see that kind of telltale gap