Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

The big one for me yesterday was going from American Gangster to any Spike Lee stuff in the 90s and people who knew a million bad 00s movies couldn't name a single person in Malcolm X or Do the Right Thing. It was kind of embarrassing to see that kind of telltale gap

Yeah, preying on the overwhelming Dudebro Cinema crowd by staying away from Scorcese, Coppola, Tarantino or just generally leading them into queer/black/classical cinema... you'd be surprised how many people have hit me with Citizen Kane then just gone ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ when I come back with The Magnificent Ambersons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Enjoying this too much. Oh, you don't know who else is in The Hill other than Sean Connery? Tough luck, zoomer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Tim Burton/Johnny Depp is dangerous territory because Christopher Lee is in Sleepy Hollow and Vincent Price is in Edward Scissorhands.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Someone tried to get me with Christopher Lee and I was like, OK pal, let's take a walk together through Hammer history.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gotta make sure you have at least one film with Lee but without Cushing, and vice versa in your back pocket just in case.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Someone tried to get me with Christopher Lee and I was like, OK pal, let's take a walk together through Hammer history.

Yeah when someone plays either Lee or Cushing I'm basically sitting there doing the Yu Gi Oh "you've just activated my trap card" thing irl.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Sticking this so that more people get interested and involved so that I can eventually run a tourney

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I have stupid little openings based on the movies... I use the Inside movie going first on The Lighthouse, they know that Willem Dafoe won't be blocked for the first play, but I want them there. Here was the sequence after that, starting with opponent.

Speed 2, To Live and Die In L.A. (people have to look this up frequently, which typically leads to the next result, I have preferred answers if they get out via William Petersen but nobody has yet), The Exorcist, The Ninth Configuration, The Exorcist 3 (here's where the pay-off is), Cult of Chucky, Alien Resurrection, Curse of Chucky... they pass Curse of Chucky back to me. Bound. They lose. As someone said before, you don't know anything about Bound except Jennifer Tilly? Tough luck, zoomer.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Just typed in Dear God (Gary Marshall) as a compliment after being stranded on an early Bergman film, and the damned thing actually linked. Never give up your dreams, folks.

FWIW, they do still seem to be adding titles to the database. He Knows You're Alone is now an excellent way to derail a Tom Hanks chain.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

filmcynic posted:

Just typed in Dear God (Gary Marshall) as a compliment after being stranded on an early Bergman film, and the damned thing actually linked. Never give up your dreams, folks.

FWIW, they do still seem to be adding titles to the database. He Knows You're Alone is now an excellent way to derail a Tom Hanks chain.

That's amazing. While I was on break at work someone got me on Richard Gere movies. I dunno any fuckin Richard Gere movies.

Just had a great outcome.

Going 2nd, they went from Nope to Get Out. Had a bunch of Peele stuff yesterday, like to go to M3GAN. They somehow passed it back to me... man, if you don't know that one, good luck with Housebound. They lost.

edit:

https://imgur.com/a/ffIfptL

I dunno if I'll ever get bored of this game when I find doing this to people incredibly funny.

Jesus, someone hit me with the Keith David block after putting in Princess Mononoke, I panicked. I lost lmao.

Thanks for the Sean Connery tip, someone tried to jump into Bond movies when I put down Highlander so I made an offensive skip, they of course want to name a 2nd Sean Connery movie. That's when I hit 'em with the 3rd Sean Connery movie they never heard of.

lmao, cheaters. I had this guy dead to rights on a 3rd William Lustig (Uncle Sam) and he pulls Robert Forster out of his rear end.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 16, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Another surprising thing is how few people ever link via directors, let alone writers or anyone else.

I just had a 55 response game end because I can't trap anyone,but I flummoxed the guy going his Romeo+Juliet (Leo) to strictly ballroom , he skipped, and then to moulin rouge. Later went from his Thor to Hamlet (1996) and he tapped out

One of the people I notice that gets used constantly is jack black and now i just ban him because of how often he comes up. I probably need to get better at pulling people out of the 00s where I'm weakest, since I never seem to be able to get into action movies.

It also stinks I can't link from something like the matrix to iron monkey. Yuen woo ping is famous!

Edit offensive skip sounds awesome, I should do that since so many times its then : actor I know using a movie I've never heard of, me using same actor, them using actor third time in something I don't know

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 16, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Edit offensive skip sounds awesome, I should do that since so many times its then : actor I know using a movie I've never heard of, me using same actor, them using actor third time in something I don't know

It doesn't work every time because sometimes they will pick someone else in the movie, but they tend to stick with the same person because of the time pressure.

I somehow got someone on Arthur Penn and Penn & Teller Get Killed is not an option. It woulda been #3 too.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 16, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
What I really need to perfect is the any Wes Anderson film => cars => they go with Larry the cable guy, and a way to dead end them after they play Larry the cable guy the movie

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I really like the Willem Dafoe start, you trick them into giving you Willem Dafoe 3 and they all have to look up To Live and Die in LA, or it lets you Spider-Man out into the Sam Raimi/William Lustig combo. If they Exorcist out from To Live and Die... I hit 'em with the Blatty.

Some guy passed it back to me and I said Manhunter, then suddenly he knew who William Petersen was, but I got him to look at the cast on The Skulls and take the Paul Walker bait. He tried to get out with Vin Diesel but the dummy already used his skip and I put him in Tromaville from Guardians of the Galaxy.

here's how it went:

Inside, The Fault in Our Stars, To Live and Die in L.A., OPPONENT SKIP, Manhunter, The Contender, The Skulls, OPPONENT LOOKS AT CAST, Fast & Furious, MY SKIP (was hoping to Tammy and the T. Rex him on a Paul Walker pass-back), The Last Witch Hunter, xXx, Guardians of the Galaxy, Toxic Avenger, Tromeo & Juliet, Class of Nuke 'Em High for the win.

Alright, sorry to be annoying but I have to share this loving amazing sequence I just pulled on a guy who was 8 and 0.

Opponent going first.

(OPEN MOVIE) Hereditary, Excalibur, Miller's Crossing, End of Days, Hercules in New York, Red Sonja, Terminator 2, Brainscan, Pecker, Pink Flamingos, Cecil B. Demented, Serial Mom, Body Heat, Altered States, A History of Violence (this is me trying to get to Texas Chainsaw 3), Shivers, Eastern Promises (still trying), Dead Ringers, Dungeons & Dragons, Die Hard: With A Vengeance

OKAY, here's where I tell you my Hereditary bans are M. Night Shyamalan, Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson.

Unreakable, OPPONENT SKIP, Glass, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Apocalypse (this is me trying to get to Bryan Singer, which goes to Star Trek: Nemesis and Michael Dorn movies), Inside Llewyn Davis, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Brick, Witness (This is my trap, I know Lukas Haas is in a bunch of Rian Johnson poo poo and I'm setting up the win state), Regarding Henry, OFFENSIVE SKIP FROM ME, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Firewall.

That's right, Firewall! Nobody saw that poo poo but me!

omg, I love the See You Yesterday tip so much. They went first on Nope to Get Out, I put See You Yesterday, somehow they don't think what my first thought was, "he probably composes for other Jordan Peele movies". No, their first thought is "CAST LIST, ooh, Michael J. Fox!". Me, PASS. Them? Wtf? Back To the Future. Me: FRIGHTENERS, bye bye!

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 16, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WarEternal posted:

That's right, Firewall! Nobody saw that poo poo but me!

This is definitely a big part of the game. Every big name actor where you know 2 or 3 obscure movies they starred in that nobody remembers is a landmine that can explode in the face of your opponent at any time.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

This is definitely a big part of the game. Every big name actor where you know 2 or 3 obscure movies they starred in that nobody remembers is a landmine that can explode in the face of your opponent at any time.

My favorite part is after this I looked up the cast and Robert Forster is also in Firewall. So is Alan Arkin, Virginia Madsen... I've used Candyman plenty of times, should link it to Firewall next time lol.

Here's a fun one: me going first

To Live and Die in LA, The Northman, Spider-Man 2, Pleasantville, Across the Spider-Verse, Tropic Thunder, Vanilla Sky, Knight and Day, Cocktail...

Now I got 'em on the Tom Cruise 3, they pass it back to me.

Karate Kid trap activated, they say Karate Kid Part 3, I PASS, they say Karate Kid Part 2, I say Next Karate Kid. I win.

last one before I go to bed at 14 and 11.

Opponent going first, opening on Nope, they pick Minari, I already know this bullshit... Burning, Sorry to Bother You, Black Panther, The Last King of Scotland, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, uh oh, they don't know Jim Jarmush, OPPONENT PASS, Only Lovers Left Alive, OPPONENT LOOKS AT CAST, Crimson Peak, Cronos, Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, I win. This guy was somehow 12W-1D-0L lmao.

Also, someone finally gave me Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and I tried to put Mitchell but it wasn't on the list!

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 16, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I need to stop trying to play this on mobile, it's frustrating to see someone rapid fire a half dozen guesses of large cast movies (tenenbauns, platoon, etc) and then I get blocked once and can't type fast enough to do another entry

Heck, just being able to see the bans in place would be helpful. I don't hit them all that often

The name of the game really is finding the worst bombs on earth for actor 3 plays. Someone gave me honey I shrunk the kids 3, whatever the actual title is, as the third Rick moranis movie and I got mad I walked into the trap. I do wish you could volley more especially with guys like Michael Rooker - none of these people know Henry portrait of a serial killer or that he's in cliffhanger, but they can just do guardians of the galaxy a few times and that's enough

Edit gently caress had a great match where we both went old, going all the way back to cabinet of Dr caligari. The guy went with mabuse, I got lucky guessing one , and then watched him hammer a bunch of big cast movies (mad mad mad world, oceans eleven) before skipping back to me and I was out of options. The keyboard vs phone typing is a humongous advantage considering how there's no penalty for guessing a bunch of ensemble movies

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 16, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I had to look it up but uhhh, Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna have credits on the Honey, I Shrunk... movies. Holy poo poo lmao.

Also, this game is unhealthy for me, I've been trying to do this poo poo since yesterday.

Opponent going first on The Lighthouse, Tenet, Good Time, High Life (finally some nerd did this to me), Beau Travail, OPPONENT PASS, *other Claire Denis movie I had to google when whatever Robert Pattinson thing was going on yesterday*. Can't Avengers your way outta that!

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 16, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I think I need to just go to foreign cinema since I'm gonna get crushed on horror movies or trash traps people have pre-planned . I am desperate to get action movies and no one will ever give me expendables 2 where I can destroy them with 80 Scott Adkins movies I can rapid fire

This is fun though. Can't believe I found a guy to do John Huston and fritz lang with.

edit: i'm very proud of my cruel intentions -> one shot play

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 16, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

ok ok ok, really going to bed now, this is ruining my life.

Opponent going first on Nope, they choose Okja (I don't want to get trapped on Korean movies, someone murdered me with this the other day), Zodiac, The Avengers, Spider-Man (I've got Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell blocked), The Great Gatsby, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, ZOOMER OPPONENT PASSES, Nightmare on Elm Street, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Dead Man. Win! The appropriate movie titles thing is really funny.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

WarEternal posted:

ok ok ok, really going to bed now, this is ruining my life.

Opponent going first on Nope, they choose Okja (I don't want to get trapped on Korean movies, someone murdered me with this the other day), Zodiac, The Avengers, Spider-Man (I've got Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell blocked), The Great Gatsby, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, ZOOMER OPPONENT PASSES, Nightmare on Elm Street, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, Dead Man. Win! The appropriate movie titles thing is really funny.

Does no one know who Jim Jarmusch is???? Good grief

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Does no one know who Jim Jarmusch is???? Good grief

No, that's what I've discovered.

I... I just won on Plan 9 From Outer Space.

Opponent going first on The Lighthouse, they pick The Lost City of Z, Tenet, High Life (I'm sensing a pattern here... some discord coordinating or something?), Beau Travail, they know a way out, The Mountain, I CAST LIST, Jeff Goldblum is in it, so obviously I pick Death Wish, The Magnificent Seven, Mr. Majestyk (thanks someone on the forums here), Hard Times, I have to use my 2nd cast list from going 2nd, Oh, Walter Hill, easy, The Warriors, they pick... The Driver, I know nothing about it, but it's okay, Another 48 Hours, Affliction, Cape Fear (1991), Under Fire, Snowpiercer, The Abyss, Strange Days, Near Dark, Point Break, Blue Steel, I'm in trouble, I don't know this one... skip. Oh, Jamie Lee Curtis, they pick Halloween, I pick Phenomena, they pick Prince of Darkness, Big Trouble in Little China, Dark Star, Starman (I'm trying to get in my Jeff Bridges comfort zone), they pick... The Last Picture show, opportunity! I pick Targets, they respond The Old Dark House, The Raven, The Black Cat, The Wolf Man, Dracula, Plan 9 From Outer Space. Don't know any Tor Johnson movies, friend!?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
If someone is chilisushi crushing me with horror and banning Stephen Yuen + using burning, argh!!
edit: ha, the mistake of using train to busan against me when I just watched 4 consecutive ma dong-seok movies a few months back, welcome to Korean action hell, you could keep skipping and I'd keep going

editx2: gently caress i lost a 66 movie one on bond movies, because it wouldn't let me use correct movies to get out a few times and I didn't want to use another ian fleming link. I coudln't use pumping iron for a lou ferrigno movie and was trying to use master z ip man legacy for bautista at one point.
It was really annoying seeing someone just spam over and over Movie 43, gosford park, nashville, etc. Even when I played something like wild at heart (their 6th attempt was jurassic park and they got out). I gotta actually use traps or I'm doomed to never beat people like that

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 16, 2024

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I got Lucio Visconti’d and had to call it a day. Guy was like 40-2. It was an epic battle but I could not escape the clutches of Death in Venice

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

I coudln't use pumping iron for a lou ferrigno movie and was trying to use master z ip man legacy for bautista at one point.
They filter out documentaries I think (to keep people from pulling some weirdass nature doc Julie Andrews narrated in 1981 as a pure killshot off of Mary Poppins or whatever), and I guess due to notability Pumping Iron wasn't classified as such, which I think they've fixed.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I got Lucio Visconti’d and had to call it a day. Guy was like 40-2. It was an epic battle but I could not escape the clutches of Death in Venice

How do you even get routed to a foreign director like that? I need to build in a bunch of links of foreign directors who come over and do a few movies and go back, which is presumably why everyone is using Denis right now due to her Pattinson link. Oddly, I've seen her stuff but not lighthouse (or the two horrors up today)

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Shrecknet posted:

They filter out documentaries I think (to keep people from pulling some weirdass nature doc Julie Andrews narrated in 1981 as a pure killshot off of Mary Poppins or whatever), and I guess due to notability Pumping Iron wasn't classified as such, which I think they've fixed.

Weird. The movie I was trying to exit was "the trial of the incredible hulk" which had a stan lee credit. It's odd they allow junk made for tv movies but at some point I'm hoping to win off Duel

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

trevorreznik posted:

It's odd they allow junk made for tv movies but at some point I'm hoping to win off Duel
One of the things I've noticed in the meta's evolution is that registered users do not fall for the trap movies that are one-man shows anymore. We've all researched them so they aren't traps at all anymore and only get Guest5264185461 anymore.

Buried (Ryan Reynolds) -> Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned! Ned Ryerson!)
Inside (Willem Dafoe) -> The Vanishing ('88 German or '93 Original, either of which gets you out)
A Christmas Carol (Patrick Stewart) -> Jackknife (Robert DeNiro)
Duel (Stephen Spielberg/John Williams) -> I am Legend or Last Man on Earth (Richard Matheson; enjoy getting to Vincent Price your opponent into whatever Castle film you feel like winning with)

There are pretty safe escapes that force your opponent to play someone big from a normal Hollywood release to get you back to level footing and get them to feed you your killshot. I think the meta is shifting from "strand them in a one-man show" to "lure them into an insular filmography and strand them with the one movie not in that group"

Like, if you can get them to burn as many of the Adam Sandler usual suspects then hit them with a Grandma's Boy or Bucky Larson that has exactly one (but not the whole crew) of the Sandlerverse people in it, and have it be the third.

I will say that I try and play Avengers: Endgame and Movie 43 as linking 1st shots ASAP if I can, just to keep other people from Hail Marying later with them.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 16, 2024

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

It was really annoying seeing someone just spam over and over Movie 43, gosford park, nashville, etc. Even when I played something like wild at heart (their 6th attempt was jurassic park and they got out). I gotta actually use traps or I'm doomed to never beat people like that

There's definitely some bullshit people are using to rapid-fire these broad movies out. I type fast but I still can't throw out 10 movies in 10 seconds like they do.

Also, on Richard Matheson you can use What Dreams May Come, Legend of Hell House. I tried Real Steel and The Box but neither one worked for me.

It's too late to matter now, and I don't even remember what the connection was, but someone showed me that somehow the Nic Cage color out of space gets you out of Inside and some Dutch movie called The Loft, the dummy who showed me that used it BEFORE Vanishing '88. The Color Out of Space guy was a bot because it hit me with like 4 non-actor/director credits in a row within 5 seconds.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 16, 2024

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Someone lost because they tried to go the MCU route with me and I countered with Buffy and I watched as they guessed all I know what you did last summer movies and lost. Whedon for the win?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

I've been wondering if Whedon is credited on Speed on there. I haven't tried it yet

I learned is that Tilda Swinton is credited on Avengers: Endgame because someone wriggled out of my Star Trek loop by hitting X-Men: First Class off of Star Trek: Generations, even though the only shared credit there is some guy named Glenn Morshower. They were trying to hit another Patrick Stewart movie. I went with the new Fincher movie that has Fassbender in it because they'd already used their cast list/skip when I hit them with the Michael Dorn movie. After that, I just went with Only Lovers Left Alive and they see Tom Hiddleston and put one of the Thor movies, then I got 'em with Crimson Peak. The plan after that was, if they realized it was a Guillermo movie hit them with the Spanish-language films.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Home Alone series seems to be weirdly central to the cine2nerdle meta. It comes up all the time, not sure why.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Someone hit me with a Vincent Cassel 3 but it was Irreversible. I went there to Noe, of course because everyone on here is like this, they responded with another Gaspar Noe film. I hit 'em with Vortex and they passed and I went to Dario Argento and they lost lol.

distortion park posted:

The Home Alone series seems to be weirdly central to the cine2nerdle meta. It comes up all the time, not sure why.

Might be something to do with how you play? I have not gotten to any of the Home Alone movies once lol.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

WarEternal posted:

I've been wondering if Whedon is credited on Speed on there. I haven't tried it yet

I learned is that Tilda Swinton is credited on Avengers: Endgame because someone wriggled out of my Star Trek loop by hitting X-Men: First Class off of Star Trek: Generations, even though the only shared credit there is some guy named Glenn Morshower. They were trying to hit another Patrick Stewart movie. I went with the new Fincher movie that has Fassbender in it because they'd already used their cast list/skip when I hit them with the Michael Dorn movie. After that, I just went with Only Lovers Left Alive and they see Tom Hiddleston and put one of the Thor movies, then I got 'em with Crimson Peak. The plan after that was, if they realized it was a Guillermo movie hit them with the Spanish-language films.

end game is the largest ensemble cast ever put together - it’s not surprising, but she also played sorcerer supreme prior to Dr Strange

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

https://imgur.com/a/9rLrPuq

I'm so pissed, I was hoping they went for another Viggo movie so I could hit them with Texas Chainsaw 3. They didn't even use any of their lifelines! Why does nobody ever give me Texas Chainsaw 3!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

WarEternal posted:

https://imgur.com/a/9rLrPuq

I'm so pissed, I was hoping they went for another Viggo movie so I could hit them with Texas Chainsaw 3. They didn't even use any of their lifelines! Why does nobody ever give me Texas Chainsaw 3!

I can’t get the lifelines to work on mobile

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

FINALLY, someone was dumb enough to do it to me.

https://imgur.com/a/vHZrQGZ

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

trevorreznik posted:

How do you even get routed to a foreign director like that? I need to build in a bunch of links of foreign directors who come over and do a few movies and go back,

Burt Lancaster in The Leopard. I started hail marying Italian movies and landed on Ossessione of all things, feeling like I might have a chance, and then they dropped Death in Venice. No, I have not seen Death in Venice

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

distortion park posted:

It links all the Hughes stuff to Scorcese via Pesci. Plus, Columbus for the Harry Potter connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bruh

don't ever let me get to marvel movies.

I will bury you in Korean gangster flicks.