Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Even with two bots programmed by one guy to try to accomplish that, it still doesn't seem possible.

Had two funny losses today
One was me saying Flintstones for halle berry and we ended up going a half dozen movies deep into Hanna Barbera

The other was me smugly taking wages of fear after sorcerir, figuring is get a skip and go to manon of the spring/jean de florettr with Yves Montand (I've done that from mission impossible via Emanuel beart) and the opponent instantly dropped les diaboliques on me. Touche, French movie knower, you got me. I could only think of chabrol,.not clouzot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
My longest battle is 18 :(

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nerdle Update posted:

Battle Update (01-23-2024):
You can now view cast and crew of all movies played once the Battle is over
hell yes, the most frustrating thing is when you lose but don't get to expand the cast on the film you lost on so you have to tab over to letterboxd just to see.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Man, I just got dominated by someone with encyclopedic knowledge of famous actors in tiny parts or bad movies. The craziest link he pulled off was American Pie (me) to "Light of my Life" via Casey Affleck. The guy has a few losses so maybe not a bot but was knocking out perfect links without guesses within a few seconds every time.

Movies I knew that the opponent played: I am legend, ordinary people, and the man who fell to earth (I didn't know rip torn was in it though) , eagle vs shark, Elysium , imagination of Dr Parnassus
Ones i didn't know, mostly hadnt even heard of; secret life of Walter mitty, brads status, boy, gentleman broncos, light of my life, Gerry, stardust, lions for lambs.

Good grief

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've been having interesting results lately banning Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Howard Shore just to cut the legs out from just about any mainstream film. Also fun: Adam Sandler, Kevin Smith, Seth Rogen. Absolutely hilarious when they can't go for anyone who is absolutely hilarious.

Also been considering making a list of the top, oh, 50 or so stars and what their oddball Czech art film is (as well as the escape if opponent still has their skip).

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I won so many times yesterday linking Renee Zellwegger to Empire Records

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm upset because its not recognizing the the anime dub roles Bryan Cranston did. Power Rangers is still pretty effective though.

-Edit Banning Ben Affleck, and Mark Hamill + Joseph King of Dreams + The Guyver is basically unstoppable.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 29, 2024

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
I just started playing this and I'm very bad at it but it's fun and it really gives my memory a workout. I started out by trying to engineer a few traps but now I mostly just rally until I sense a knowledge gap then I press it if I can. Some of the blindspots you find are a bit surprising, but then I have huge gaps too. Like, yesterday I responded to Hot Fuzz on three separate occasions with The Living Daylights and none of those opponents seemed to know who Timothy Dalton is. They also didn't realize they could skip, but then if they couldn't get out of TLD they probably wouldn't have gotten out of License to Kill.

My first trap was Nicole Kidman, banning Tom Cruise/Tony Scott/Robert Duvall and trying to get a first hit on Days of Thunder then using BMX Bandits as the kill shot (an obscure Australian movie she did as a teenager, escape with Gallipoli, another Aussie movie nobody's ever heard of). Australia (2008) isn't as good an entry point (banning Hugh Jackman and Baz Luhrmann) because it seems like a common meta pick and a lot of people know the escape via Toni Collette (Muriel's Wedding). Eric Bana is also pretty good (The Castle -> Chopper or vice versa) and Heath Ledger (Ned Kelly or A Knight's Tale into Two Hands, escape with Cocktail).

Two days ago I was proud of myself for responding to a recent movie I hadn't heard of that had Sarah Polley in the cast with Dawn of the Dead (2004) and my opponent was seemingly unaware of the Snyderverse because they flailed around for a bit before linking it to one of the Romero flicks. And then I had a weird back and forth where we linked six different Friday the 13th movies because certain actors were in some but not all of them. When in doubt, look for a sequel.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Powered Armor posted:

I had a weird back and forth where we linked six different Friday the 13th movies because certain actors were in some but not all of them. When in doubt, look for a sequel.
I don't know if this is empirically true, but it usually feels more correct to lead with the sequel (or third if possible) as casts have expanded at that point so you lead with Fast 5 which has the Rock, gal Godot, song Kang, etc but if they give you another movie with someone you can go down to og f&f which only has diesel, Rodriguez and walker

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Powered Armor posted:

I just started playing this and I'm very bad at it but it's fun and it really gives my memory a workout. I started out by trying to engineer a few traps but now I mostly just rally until I sense a knowledge gap then I press it if I can. Some of the blindspots you find are a bit surprising, but then I have huge gaps too. Like, yesterday I responded to Hot Fuzz on three separate occasions with The Living Daylights and none of those opponents seemed to know who Timothy Dalton is. They also didn't realize they could skip, but then if they couldn't get out of TLD they probably wouldn't have gotten out of License to Kill.

My first trap was Nicole Kidman, banning Tom Cruise/Tony Scott/Robert Duvall and trying to get a first hit on Days of Thunder then using BMX Bandits as the kill shot (an obscure Australian movie she did as a teenager, escape with Gallipoli, another Aussie movie nobody's ever heard of). Australia (2008) isn't as good an entry point (banning Hugh Jackman and Baz Luhrmann) because it seems like a common meta pick and a lot of people know the escape via Toni Collette (Muriel's Wedding). Eric Bana is also pretty good (The Castle -> Chopper or vice versa) and Heath Ledger (Ned Kelly or A Knight's Tale into Two Hands, escape with Cocktail).

Two days ago I was proud of myself for responding to a recent movie I hadn't heard of that had Sarah Polley in the cast with Dawn of the Dead (2004) and my opponent was seemingly unaware of the Snyderverse because they flailed around for a bit before linking it to one of the Romero flicks. And then I had a weird back and forth where we linked six different Friday the 13th movies because certain actors were in some but not all of them. When in doubt, look for a sequel.

I know I can skip but I also can’t get any of the functions to work on my phone soooo

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
That would explain it because I've seen people not use lifelines a fair bit, not just in the opening few moves.

Shrecknet posted:

I don't know if this is empirically true, but it usually feels more correct to lead with the sequel (or third if possible) as casts have expanded at that point so you lead with Fast 5 which has the Rock, gal Godot, song Kang, etc but if they give you another movie with someone you can go down to og f&f which only has diesel, Rodriguez and walker

Good point. There's also the sort of related thing where eg. Adam Sandler has a heap of movies with his buddies and then some without any of them, and knowing which ones are which can let you make some power plays. I can't do that but I've watched a lot of Northernlion's Youtubes and he's a Sandler scholar, along with all the godawful 00s Wayans/Seltzer movies. It's funny watching him dip into that reservoir when his opponents don't know how to get out.

The other day someone took me into Color Out of Space and Mandy and they had banned Nic Cage. I couldn't remember the other stuff Panos Cosmatos had done but after looking it up later I was surprised to find out there's hardly anything. I thought he had been around for a while.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
You could be thinking of his father, George Cosmatos, who directed Rambo 2, Leviathan, Cobra(the Stallone movie) and kinda sorta directed Tombstone.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

If you ban George A. Romero (his name doesn't auto-complete), and choose The Amusement Park, your opponent is absolutely hosed. It doesn't help that the release year is wrong, and is based on when it was rediscovered.

Also apparently nobody knows Jeffery Combs movies.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
Yeah, that might have been the Cosmatos name floating around in my head. I didn't know he did those movies, I was just aware of the name, but I'll note them down for future plays.

Had an opponent before who took me back in time via Marlon Brando and almost drowned me in 50s movies, but then they jumped to In the Heat of the Night and I remembered Sidney Poitier was in Sneakers so I got back to a more level playing field. Then ten moves later I got to do a two star Steven Yuen killshot via Minari after they skipped me on Sorry to Bother You. They tried Crazy, Rich Asians and Everything, Everywhere, All at Once so I'm guessing they didn't know who he was but they did correctly surmise that his surname was indeed Asian.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
So sometimes people communicate with movie names. Just had a game where they linked Dune (2021), I linked The King (2019) then they linked Another Gay Movie. I laughed.

Someone also got me with the terrible Bruce Willis movies he made before he stopped working which have nobody in them, and they banned Bruce Willis. I respect the trap play but I don't know how I would avoid it except by banning Bruce Willis myself. I guess I could IMDB them, but I tried that earlier after I fell into a Peter Jackson trap and I still couldn't find a way out of Bad Taste.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've won a lot of games with 16 Blocks, a Bruce Willis movie from 2006 that hardly anyone saw.

I feel like when I play that movie the opponent is rolling their eyes like "ok I get it, you memorized some of Bruce Willis' wiki page", and I wanna say NOPE, I was there for that movie on opening weekend bitch!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Powered Armor posted:

So sometimes people communicate with movie names.
I've used the Miley Cyrus/Demi Moore vehicle "LOL" to communicate, as well as using Slaughtered Vomit Dolls and This Is the End when I'm out of lifelines and know I've lost.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I've done LOL before to communicate and accidentally gotten a link before, so you never know!

There's also the older mumblecore LOL with Greta Gerwig in it.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023

IShallRiseAgain posted:

If you ban George A. Romero (his name doesn't auto-complete), and choose The Amusement Park, your opponent is absolutely hosed. It doesn't help that the release year is wrong, and is based on when it was rediscovered.

I did it.

My thought was to ban Frances McDormand and Rooney Mara, then get into Women Talking and hope they give me Dawn of the Dead (2004) via Sarah Polley, but if they don't know anything about DotD they'll often link a Romero movie anyway, which is what happened here. I'm not sure what the best follow up is if they skip The Amusement Park though. Diary of the Dead? Night of the Living Dead?

This is a pretty funny one so I'm going to keep doing it. McDormand has been in a million movies too and people love linking Coen Bros or Wes Anderson so it shouldn't be too hard to get there again. If I can pull this off against one of the trivia lords with a 30W-2L score I'll be happy.

I also had a Renny Harlin-off just before then someone took me to Cobra for the third Stallone, and I couldn't remember the elder Cosmatos escape Basebf555 mentioned here! I find it hard to remember cast lists for movies I haven't seen even if they're used against me more than once. On the plus side, Attack the Block is such a meta pick and one I've used myself so much that I decided to actually watch it the other day. It was great!

It's a good tech for when you need a Nick Frost movie that doesn't have Simon Pegg too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Goddamn, just went on a 43 win streak, number three in the daily leaderboards. Then someone lured me into Japan and I went down blanking on Sion Sono’s filmography because the ones I kept reaching for weren’t in the system.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Powered Armor posted:

I did it.

My thought was to ban Frances McDormand and Rooney Mara, then get into Women Talking and hope they give me Dawn of the Dead (2004) via Sarah Polley, but if they don't know anything about DotD they'll often link a Romero movie anyway, which is what happened here. I'm not sure what the best follow up is if they skip The Amusement Park though. Diary of the Dead? Night of the Living Dead?

This is a pretty funny one so I'm going to keep doing it. McDormand has been in a million movies too and people love linking Coen Bros or Wes Anderson so it shouldn't be too hard to get there again. If I can pull this off against one of the trivia lords with a 30W-2L score I'll be happy.

I also had a Renny Harlin-off just before then someone took me to Cobra for the third Stallone, and I couldn't remember the elder Cosmatos escape Basebf555 mentioned here! I find it hard to remember cast lists for movies I haven't seen even if they're used against me more than once. On the plus side, Attack the Block is such a meta pick and one I've used myself so much that I decided to actually watch it the other day. It was great!

It's a good tech for when you need a Nick Frost movie that doesn't have Simon Pegg too.

Martin might be a good out because it has Tom Savini in it and basically nobody else notable.

Speaking of Japan I'm trying to find a path into anime movies. Rinko Kikuchi seems to be the fastest route since she is in Pacific Rim, 47 Ronin (Keanu Reeves), Brothers Bloom (Rian Johnson), and Babel (Brad Pitt). Then you can link the movie Terra Formars (Takashi Miike) to promare. You can also use Hostel to link to Takashi Miike, but that's pretty hard. I haven't managed to pull it off either way yet.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
This yahoo tried to pull the Nicole Kidman BMX Bandits maneuver on me. I invented that!

This one was extra satisfying because it was a rematch and in the previous game they lost me in the Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsenverse.

edit: also had a game against someone who must have had a laptop open beside them to avoid looking like a Googling Gary, because they escaped from Beasts of No Nation with Skyfall via Kurt Egyiawan, who is credited as "Q's Assistant." That player pulled 3-4 other similarly obscure links as their first shot after letting the timer count down a lot, so I'm calling bullshit.

Powered Armor fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 4, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I pull the BMX Bandits trick a lot but my out when they skip back to me is typically another Brian Trenchard-Smith film like Dead End Drive-In or Stunt Rock. Mofos over here really thinking I don’t know my Ozploitation.

Edit: My new favorite trick is any time someone say Inglourious Basterds link to The Inglorious Bastards (1978) and anytime they do Django Unchained go to Django (1966). If you’ve got any knowledge of Italian exploitation film, which they probably don’t, you should be able to navigate it pretty easily. Also no one loving knows who Fred Williamson is and a lot of his films are missing from the database anyway so knowing the ones that are there is pretty useful.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 4, 2024

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

So I figured out how to get into anime movies quickly.

It turns out Tom Cruise is the key to anime. You can either use War of the Worlds which has Justin Chatwin who was in Dragonball Evolution and has Akira Toriyama as a writer. I think you can also use The Last Samurai who has Shichinosuke Nakamura that was in The Tale of The Princess Kaguya which is a studio ghibli film. I haven't been able to confirm the latter so it might not be in their database.

You can also use Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon to get to Dragonball evolution.

This will also gently caress up the googlers because they'll find the dub cast.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 4, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I feel like voice cast shouldnt be allowed, sorry anime lovers. It's hard enough knowing movie trivia based on people on screen, people off screen is impossible

Btw, 47 in a row is incredible. Do you keep trying the same plays over and over or just go with whatever you see fit? On rematches I almost always try different movies if I just won, just for variety.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

The Miyazaki dubs should absolutely count. Why can't I get to Howl's Moving Castle using Christian Bale?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

I feel like voice cast shouldnt be allowed, sorry anime lovers. It's hard enough knowing movie trivia based on people on screen, people off screen is impossible

Btw, 47 in a row is incredible. Do you keep trying the same plays over and over or just go with whatever you see fit? On rematches I almost always try different movies if I just won, just for variety.

I don't think its worse than people who link to some random no budget film z-grade film no one has seen because one of the actors had a minor role in a more popular movie once. Also, a lot of people know voice actors.

Oh and don't understimate the power of using authors for adaptations of works. They are often credited as a writer, so you can use it to jump around to a completely different set of actors.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 5, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Authors do sometimes feel a little cheap but it's part of the game right now so take advantage.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So close to perfect!

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023

I sometimes fold under pressure too but not being able to come up with a third Nicole Kidman is a bit of a head-scratcher.

What's the most famous person you frequently see skipped? For me it would have to be Julianne Moore. I link a lot of movies with her in them (Children of Men is a good lifeline burner) but I've yet to see anyone give me a first link for her. They always skip or choose someone else.

And how do you like using bans? I still have my George A. Romero one because I think it's funny (and I like to think people yell WTF out loud when they see it) and I added John Leguizamo because one of my main entry points is Land of the Dead. Speaking of which, the other day when Kevin Costner was in one of the openers I was linking Waterworld every time but nobody knew who Dennis Hopper was. I even had one opponent who linked a bunch of old Robert Redford and Jack Nicholson movies but they passed on multiple attempts to be the first Hopper tick. It was weird but I know everyone has their blindspots.

Anyway, bans. I don't really like the people who craft a perfect trap using the top-billed cast of the daily movies so they catch you on like your third move but I'm not going to rag on them for playing to win. I enjoy bans when they appear out of nowhere like a landmine, like they shake you out of your comfort zone and punish you for taking too long to think about your move.

Oh, and the other day I linked Trumbo for a first Bryan Cranston tick and my opponent linked Louis loving C.K. and it turns out the database has like ten of his stand-up movies. Seems like an oversight since they removed all the documentaries a while ago.

Last random thought: I just learned that someone from Water for Elephants is in Dawn of the Dead (1978). Everyone knows all the Robert Pattinson/Kristen Stewart movies since they've been part of the meta for so long, so I'm looking forward to making use of that one!

Oh and very last thought: I play Guy Pearce a lot because LA Confidential is somehow a reliable lifeline burner, and someone played Jack Irish: Bad Debts on me, which is an Aussie TV Movie. I didn't expect it to be there but I'll be playing it myself from now on. Also, they only recently added Lockout because I've been trying it for weeks and it only appeared a few days ago I think. It's a good escape from the Taken trilogy via Maggie Grace. Eric Bana is the best Aussie actor with a bunch of homegrown movies (like Chopper and The Dry) but he doesn't come up as much.

Powered Armor fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 7, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Played a few games against someone last night who seemingly knew nothing -- he'd frantically guess Movie 43, Avengers: Endgame, etc. on everything. Couldn't name a Naomi Watts movie. But if you DID land on one of those films, then he had the most obscure lines mapped out to trap you in random Scooby-Doo movies burning up Frank Welker or obscure action films linked through someone deep in the Avengers cast. It was weird.

It's been getting a little too easy lately. There's a big influx of unregistered players and people folding under the slightest push towards something pre-90s. MASH should not be a game ender! I've been racking up these big win streaks because of it, but it makes actually finding someone who knows their poo poo and gives me a challenge more enjoyable, though sad when they immediately disappear after a game instead of a rematch. It starts feeling a little samey just watching people give up on the fourth movie of a game because they don't know who loving Donald Sutherland is. I'm sure it's a lot of kids, but come on man why the hell are you playing movie trivia?

As for my bans, I've been defaulting no matter what to Willem Dafoe, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Lars Von Trier. When the moment arises, I trap them in Antichrist. But generally, unless they've done something to deserve it (like lure me into a similar trap) I only play it if they still have their skip left because mainly I just want them to burn it, I don't really want to win on a cheap move like that. Though theoretically you could get out through the cinematographer or composer.

edit: Kramer vs. Kramer is really doing a lot to take down the Guests today. Have had opponents go down guessing random movies when they had the first move. Just won by playing Little Big Man and...that was it. They checked the cast and then timed out.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 7, 2024

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I typically go with 1 offensive ban(meaning I'm trying to trap you with it) and 2 defensive bans based on that day's starter movies(meaning I don't feel comfortable with those actors so I want to prevent you from using them to beat me).

But yea like Trix said, the most basic effective strategy is probably just to drag the game as far back into the past as you can. And I'm no film savant(Trix beat me pretty handily the other day), but my odds are still pretty good if I can get the game into pre-90s stuff. The newer stuff is also where I'm weakest, like if we get into modern indies I'm usually going to lose.

Personally I enjoy beating the people who don't know old movies though. I like to imagine I'm showing them how little they know and maybe they get encouraged to watch a few old movies as a result.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Feb 7, 2024

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Yeah I feel the same way, it's a satisfying victory when they lose cause they got trapped on John Huston films. Whereas I'm similarly weak on modern indies with interchangeable titles. I did lose one game yesterday cause they got me with Amandla Stenberg movies and I didn't know who she was (later found out I have seen Bodies, Bodies, Bodies which she's in).

As for big name actors, I lost another game last night cause I totally blanked on Rebecca Hall. Felt very dumb after that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've lost plenty of games where I've got what I think is a really good play, but it's on the tip of my tongue and I know I can remember it and then whoops the timer is up and I panic and it's game over. And if you just looked at the game without context you'd be like oh wow he didn't know a Rebecca Hall movie or whatever but in a lot of instances it's just me fumbling around and losing track of the time.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
^^^ it's ok it happens to lots of men your age

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a tiny bit longer on the timer, especially if there was a way for it to tell I'm on mobile vs keyboard. They really should reset the timer if you hit a ban, as well.

Agreed on the most satisfying wins, I always hope people look up movies I win with and usually try to do older or foreign movies that they might not know, but when you check the cast it's a lot of big names. I go from Pitt to Redford via River Runs Through it a lot and then just do stuff like 3 days of the condor or other movies I enjoy

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I know there was talk of doing a goon tournament, do we think there's enough interest still? Could always try to pull in from other subs too.

Since games can be so quick could best 2/3 or even 3/5 (or 3/5 for finals?) Maybe, since you can set the starting movie on invite games Player A chooses the first film, Player B chooses the second, and a tiebreaker goes to a pre-selected film for the round (or it's always Movie 43).

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Holy hell, I lost to someone playing Aamir Khan movies, then to someone playing Louis Fan movies and he got me on the third one with Riki-Oh. I had no way outta that

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
I was always using The Skin I Live In for a first hit on Antonio Banderas because 9/10 times they link another Bandaeras movie back, but then that 1/10 time they link another Almodovar and then two things happen: I learn the names of his other movies, and I lose horribly. I enjoy getting educated like that though and I try to use what I've learned against other people but I still find it hard to commit unknown movies to memory unless I actively link them myself soon after hearing about them.

And a related thing is when someone invites me on a brief tour of their favorite lesser known actor or director, I enjoy that even as I realize I'm toast. I've never heard of Aamir Khan or Louis Fan so I would've died right after my skip on both of those.

I really enjoy punishing a The Force Awakens pick with The Raid, and if they skip me or go to the second Raid movie I go to Triple Threat. And that's where my knowledge on that path ended until recently because I linked John Wick 4 after someone's skip and they took me deep into Japanese cinema (I used up all the Grudge and Ring movies and collapsed soon after). So then I went looking for another post-skip way out of Triple Threat and now I have Avengement ready to go!

TrixRabbi posted:

It's been getting a little too easy lately. There's a big influx of unregistered players and people folding under the slightest push towards something pre-90s. MASH should not be a game ender! I've been racking up these big win streaks because of it, but it makes actually finding someone who knows their poo poo and gives me a challenge more enjoyable, though sad when they immediately disappear after a game instead of a rematch. It starts feeling a little samey just watching people give up on the fourth movie of a game because they don't know who loving Donald Sutherland is. I'm sure it's a lot of kids, but come on man why the hell are you playing movie trivia?

Really noticed this with the Chicago start. I had a bunch of people not even get off the mark, as though they maybe somehow missed that Chicago was even one of the starting movies? And then my standard opening was either No Reservations or Entrapment and so many people had no idea who Catherine Zeta-Jones is. And a few had seemingly never heard of Sean Connery. It feels like there's a lot of young people playing because a lot of the ones who managed to escape from my exquisite openings (via mainstream movies) pivoted to rom coms and/or teen movies from the last ten years or so, which is a huge weakness of mine. It feels like only the real movie trivia people are comfortable linking anything before 2000 so I assume they're all old people like me, and there's far fewer of them.

Oh, and my favorite new trick to try (which was used against me) is The Muppets' Wizard of Oz, which doesn't auto-complete so you have to know it's there. It doesn't have Frank Oz in it but it does have Quentin Tarantino! It could be dangerous though because I assume it can be linked to the old timey Wizard of Oz via the author's writing credit. Which reminds me, somehow Danny Elfman doesn't have a music credit on The Simpsons Movie?? It's been a while since I've seen it but did they really not play the theme music? I tried to use it to escape from the Burtonverse and failed miserably.

A goon tournament sounds cool depending upon times but I'm sure I would flame out immediately.

Powered Armor
May 5, 2023
Somebody played a movie called Cargo (2017) against me, which I learned stars Martin Freeman and a bunch of Aussie actors most people have never heard of. So I added it to my repertoire:

I got the first tick with The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy but there's probably a better Martin Freeman for doing that. David Gulpilil is in Crocodile Dundee and Australia as well so people can probably get out of it by spamming "Australian Movie" but he's also in Rabbit-Proof Fence, which most people have never heard of, so he could be good for burning a lifeline or two.

I was expecting today's Rocky start to be really rough because it seems pretty easy to craft a Sylvester Stallone trap by banning him and then going into the lesser-known Rocky and Rambo sequels, but so far I haven't come across it.

edit: this just in: gottem!

edit: through process of elimination it seems like Confetti (2006) is the most obscure Martin Freeman movie to line up for a Cargo kill.

Powered Armor fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I didn't really pay attention today so it's a bit too late but FYI since it comes up often enough: Lloyd Kaufman can link Rocky to any Troma film.

Also, they do have The Party at Kitty and Stud's, the porno Sylvester Stallone made, in their system.