Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for the link! I just managed to win a round using The Beastmaster, which is all I can ask for in a game, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

When people don't know an answer they'll tend to reach for big ensemble pieces to take stabs in the dark, and it's a good strategy! You should do it when you've got no other options. Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Gosford Park, Short Cuts, the Ocean's films all come up a lot. You can also try playing them legitimately early on to take them off the board for random guessing later if you want to be really strategic about it.

Lots of excellent advice, thanks. (I fell into the Meet the Feebles trap earlier.) I am very, very glad that Richard Gere decided to make an appearance in Movie 43. I doubt he feels the same way, however.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Some magnificent bastard just defeated me after 70 moves by using Dr. Giggles, after they placed a block on Larry Drake. I'm too awestruck to be mad, honestly.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
The link between The Shining and The Beastmaster is a rare and wonderful thing.

Edit: I had no idea that WB cartoon shorts count as titles. Someone just stranded me on One Froggy Evening.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 13, 2024

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

What's the link between The Shining and The Beastmaster? Is it direct or do you gotta go through a couple steps?

John Alcott was the cinematographer for both (along with Barry Lyndon).

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

TrixRabbi posted:

I've started getting meaner. I blocked Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and John Saxon.

Wow, that's an evil combo. Respect.

I'm enjoying the extended back-and-forth volleys too much to really focus on strategic blocks, although I have been starting to put in some directors that I'm shaky on, just as a precaution. Speaking of which, someone this morning started calling me a cheater after I followed up their Jim Wynorski title with another Wynorski. I love this game.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Just typed in Dear God (Gary Marshall) as a compliment after being stranded on an early Bergman film, and the damned thing actually linked. Never give up your dreams, folks.

FWIW, they do still seem to be adding titles to the database. He Knows You're Alone is now an excellent way to derail a Tom Hanks chain.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
It's strange, but I can't think of another game where I enjoy losing as much as I do in this one. (As long as it's not due to my brain randomly vapor-locking, that is. Hey everyone! Did you know that Brad Pitt was in Burn After Reading? I sure don't!) Getting trapped/surprised/utterly destroyed by someone in a genre that I feel strong in just has a weirdly pleasurable buzz, especially when I'm able to store that info away for future chains*. Hook it directly to my veins, is what I'm saying.

*Speaking of which, I now know that the lead actress in Prey is also in Hell or High Water. Do with this knowledge what you will.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012
Just finished off a 182-round monstrosity, against someone who I suspect may actually be Leonard Maltin. (They finally got me with a Russell Crowe movie, which is probably a sign that I should step away for a bit. Nah.) The gaps in the database really do start to hurt once you get into rapid-fire marathon mode. Anybody have any suggestions/hopes for future updates?