Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And this is it! The Top 2! The silver place medalist and the gold. Who will it be? How many points will separate them? Indeed, how many points will separate 2 from 3? It's time to find out, thank you all for your patience as this, of course, ended up taking longer than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

Makes me believe pro wrestling is real every time he's in the ring.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

he's telling the best story in wrestling right now. its hard hitting, authentic and heartfelt

Spiggy posted:

I'm so happy he's having his moment in the sun.

edogawa rando posted:

He’s finally getting his moment

Red is Dead posted:

Dude deserves the loving world.

Eddie Kingston
2022 Position: 6/63 2021 Position: 4/63 | 2020 Position: 4/43 | 2019 Position: 56/63 | Times Voted #1: 5 | Total Times Listed: 62
  • King of the Bums
For a man whose character is that of somebody who struggles through life and setback after setback, Eddie Kingston had a hell of a good year! He ran Switchblade Jay White out of New Japan (and straight into AEW!). He won the New Japan STRONG Openweight Title from KENTA. He took part in his first ever G1 and ended on a very respectable 8 points, and more importantly perhaps finally got to meet one of his heroes: Toshiaki Kawada! He took part in a Stadium Stampede match at AEW All In - the highest selling wrestling PPV of all time - with his team defeating the Blackpool Combat Club.

But perhaps the sweetest thing was the climax of a storyline years in the making and crossing multiple promotions. After a failed effort earlier in the year, Eddie Kingston finally, finally, finally, FINALLY defeated Claudio Castagnoli in a singles match for the ROH World Championship, adding the title to his STRONG one and at last gaining some small measure of vengeance on the man he still held a grudge against for - as Jon Moxley so richly put it - "some stupid Chikara bullshit". Eddie defended both his belts, sometimes singly but also at times putting everything on the line, defeating the likes of Katsuyori Shibata and Minoru Suzuki before he hit the Continental Classic and decided to sweeten the pot even more by putting both his titles into the prize pool along with the up-for-grabs Continental Title, forming a "Continental Crown" hearkening back to his much-loved memories of All Japan.

That's what Eddie Kingston did in 2023, he was living the dream. Somehow, despite all his successes, Eddie hasn't lost either his edge or the perception from fans that he is the underdog fighting bitterly to cling on to whatever he can. Bryan Danielson was an immense help in this, as of course was Claudio Castagnoli, both of them looking down on him, taunting him, claiming he wasn't good enough. His success over both in the Continental Classic lead to World's End and the capstone of a great year for Kingston when he defeated close friend but also rival Jon Moxley. Eddie put all his chips in the middle and it paid off immensely, and so it is no surprise to see him with such a big points total in this thread, appearing on so many Goons' lists, getting the highest finish he has ever managed in one of these threads, and ending up almost Punch Sport Pagoda's favorite active Pro-Wrestler for 2023. Almost.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 4, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

yea ok posted:

he's the best of all time and he had his best year of all time

Kvantum posted:

The greatest pro wrestler ever, no contest. All that needs to be said.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

he was my favorite in roh, my favorite in wwe, and is my favorite in aew.

tigerdriver82 posted:

The best to ever do it. GOAT.

Spiggy posted:

The Greatest of All Time.

A Real Horse posted:

the best wrestler in the world. I am not going to debate that fact. He was created specifically for this purpose and we are blessed to be living during his reign.

Twin Cinema posted:

The GOAT. I think he may be my favourite wrestler of all-time.

Artelier posted:

My favourite of all time! He has such a superb mastery of pretty much all aspects of wrestling.

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Really makes anything he's involved in better, unreal talent in every way.

edogawa rando posted:

He’s just so goddamn good. What more is there to say?

The Taxman posted:

Simply the best. I don't think I need to explain any more.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

There's not a wrestler better in the world and there may never be.

apophenium posted:

We're truly blessed to have this man plying his trade.

TheWorstAmy posted:

Another year of showing how effortlessly fantastic he is at everything he does.

Bard Maddox posted:

has been my favorite wrestler going on 20 years but he did such a good job getting the next guy over that he dropped down.

Pinwiz11 posted:

We don’t have long left, he’s one of the best to ever do it, and it’s going to be an emotional rollercoaster in 2024.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

He's probably going to top most people's lists so congrats on another win this year

Bryan Danielson
2022 Position: 1/63 2021 Position: 1/63 | 2020 Position: 23/43 | 2019 Position: 3/63 | Times Voted #1: 28 | Total Times Listed: 64
  • First ever two-time winner of the Annual Top Ten Thread in 2022.
  • First ever back-to-back winner of the Annual Top Ten Thread in 2022.
  • First ever three-time-winner of the Annual Top Ten Thread, also back-to-back, in 2023.
  • Second highest points total of all time... behind only himself, with 558 points in 2021.
  • Holds 4 of the 5 highest points totals for all annual versions of this thread.
  • Holds 3 of the 8 highest points totals for ALL versions of this thread including the initial 2007 "All-Time Favorites" thread.
  • Highest ranked AEW wrestler.
  • Highest ranked male wrestler.
  • Highest ranked wrestler.
I'm starting to suspect Punch Sport Pagoda kinda maybe likes Bryan Danielson maybe a little sorta?

To put it in context, if you picked only Bryan Danielson's #1 picks he would still have finished in 5th place. If you picked only his #2 - #10 picks, he would have still ended up in... 5th place! His next closest rival, King of the Bums Eddie Kingston, managed an incredibly high total and it was still 138 points less than what Bryan Danielson managed. His dominance is something I can't imagine being repeated for many years to come, the big question now is whether his final "full time" year of 2024 will see him make it a 4-peat or if some other wrestler will capture our imagination like nobody else but Bryan Danielson seems capable of achieving.

But 2023 was his year, just like 2022 and 2021 before it. It isn't hard to see why, even with just a cursory look back at only the major moments of the year. He went over 60 minutes in an incredible Iron Man match for the AEW World title against MJF. He took part in - and won - an Anarchy in the Arena match with his Blackpool Combat Club against The Elite. He FINALLY got a match against Kazuchika Okada and defeated him at the Forbidden Door PPV, though he broke his arm in the process. He had a bloody and violent war with Ricky Starks in first a strap match and then in Texas Death, coming out on top both times. He FINALLY got to wrestle Zack Sabre Jr. at Wrestle Dream, defeating the only man who can challenge his status as the World's Best Technical Wrestler though that was not the end of the story. He took a shot at the TNT title but came up short, then suffered a busted eye that they made part of a story around a continuing war of aggression against Kazuchika Okada. He competed in the first ever Continental Classic, AEW's answer to New Japan's G1, and made it all the way to a fantastic semi-final against Eddie Kingston. He competed in a Fight Without Honor AND a Fight TO Honor Jay Briscoe at ROH's Final Battle, and he entered 2024 aiming at Kazuchika Okada once again at Wrestle Kingdom.

That was all only the tip of the iceberg, however, there was so much more going on this year with Danielson. All the little things, the promos, putting guys over, working with different talent, his status as a respected figure within AEW both among wrestlers and with owner Tony Khan. Danielson has been a firm favorite of Punch Sport Pagoda's for as long as I can remember the forum existing AND Danielson wrestling (he made the Top Ten of that All-Time Thread back in 2007, only 8 years into his career!), and I don't see that changing.

In 2023, just like he was in 2022 and 2021, Bryan Danielson was Punch Sport Pagoda's Favorite Active Pro-Wrestler in the world.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 4, 2024

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Swerve was robbed

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A final ease of use ranking:

code:
1	Bryan Danielson		538
2	Eddie Kingston		400
3	Swerve Strickland	358
4	Orange Cassidy		349
5	Will Ospreay		234
6	Christian Cage		217
7	Kenny Omega		169
8	Jon Moxley		144
9	Hangman Adam Page	141
10	Zack Sabre Jr.		131
11	Samoa Joe		128
12	Athena			123
13	Konosuke Takeshita	113
14	Kazuchika Okada		111
15	Toni Storm		79
16	Gunther			59
17	MJF			58
18	Kris Statlander		54
19	Miyu Yamashita		51
20	El Hijo del Vikingo	45
21	Willow Nightingale	44
22	Rhea Ripley		43
23	Switchblade Jay White	37
24	Kento Miyahara		36
25	Tetsuya Naito		35
26	Darby Allin		34
	Tomohiro Ishii		34
	Miu Watanabe		34
27	Cody Rhodes		30
28	Lexis King		29
	Hikaru Shida		29
29	Maki Itoh		27
	Hyper Misao		27
	Sting			27
30	Penta El Zero M		25
	SANADA			25
31	Saki Akai		24
	Speedball Mike Bailey	24
32	Yuki Kamifuku		23
	Gabe Kidd		23
33	Julia Hart		22
	Katsuyori Shibata	22
34	Roman Reigns		20
35	Dominik Mysterio	19
	Yota Tsuji		19
36	Dalton Castle		18
	Taichi			18
	Sami Zayn		18
37	Ricky Starks		17
	Shingo Takagi		17
	Chuck Taylor		17
38	Jamie Hayter		16
39	Giulia			15
	Kenoh			15
	Brody King		15
	Emi Sakura		15
40	Chris Brookes		14
	VENY			14
41	Saori Anou		13
	Pom Harajuku		13
	Kevin Owens		13
	Shota Umino		13
42	Kazuki Hirata		12
	Kaito Kiyomiya		12
	Katsuhiko Nakajima	12
	Raku			12
	Minoru Suzuki		12
	Hiroshi Tanahashi	12
43	Yuma Aoyagi		11
	Daddy Magic		11
	Deonna Purrazzo		11
	Rush			11
	Suzu Suzuki		11
44	Yuki Arai		10
	Great Kojika		10
	Maika			10
	Natsupoi		10
	Billie Starkz		10
	Edith Surreal		10
	Matt Tremont		10
	Toru Yano		10
45	Cool Hand Ang		9
	Himeka			9
	Nick Jackson		9
	Austin Luke		9
	Chris Sabin		9
	Sean Ross Sapp		9
	Ruby Soho		9
	MV Young		9
46	Bad Bunny		8
	Colt Cabana		8
	Claudio Castagnoli	8
	El Desperado		8
	SeXXXy Eddy		8
	Ziggy Haim		8
	The Hoodfoot		8
	Mayu Iwatani		8
	Matt Jackson		8
	Hikari Noa		8
	Alex Shelley		8
	Hiromu Takahashi	8
47	Mark Briscoe		7
	Brandon Cutler		7
	Snoop Dogg		7
	Ilja Dragunov		7
	Yoshiaki Fujiwara	7
	Daniel Garcia		7
	Marcus Mathers		7
	Trey Miguel		7
	Takuya Nomura		7
	Serpentico		7
	Seth Rollins		7
	Yuka Sakazaki		7
	Dark Sheik		7
	Titán			7
48	Big Bill		6
	Jonathan Gresham	6
	Utami Hayashishita	6
	Sakura Hirota		6
	Shuji Ishikawa		6
	MIRAI			6
	Moka Miyamoto		6
	Dr. Redacted		6
	Thekla			6
	Master Wato		6
	Death Worm		6
49	Josh Alexander		5
	Atsuki Aoyagi		5
	Powerhouse Hobbs	5
	Mahiro Kiryu		5
	1 Called Manders	5
	Drew McIntyre		5
	Mecha Mummy		5
	Yuji Okabayashi		5
	Ethan Page		5
	Ryan Redfield		5
	Evil Uno		5
50	Asuka			4
	John Cena		4
	Kazusada Higuchi	4
	Violent J		4
	Satoshi Kojima		4
	MAO			4
	Damo McCullough		4
	Unagi Sayaka		4
51	Yuma Anzai		3
	Skye Blue		3
	Rey Fénix		3
	Max the Impaler		3
	Ram Kaichow		3
	KRULE			3
	Keith Lee		3
	Steve Maclin		3
	Jinder Mahal		3
	Green Phantom		3
	Riho			3
	Rika Tatsumi		3
	Jaguar Yokota		3
	YuuRI			3
52	Malakai Black		2
	Dax Harwood		2
	Joe Hendry		2
	Mickie Knuckles		2
	KUSHIDA			2
	Santana Jackson		2
	Jeff Jarrett		2
	Pcp Manny		2
	Mariah May		2
	Juria Nagano		2
	Arisa Nakajima		2
	Mei Seira		2
	IYO SKY			2
	Soberano Jr.		2
	Mei Suruga		2
	Taya Valkyrie		2
	Momo Watanabe		2
	Cash Wheeler		2
53	Atlantis Jr.		1
	Leva Bates		1
	Anthony Bowens		1
	Jeff Cobb		1
	Alex Coughlin		1
	EFFY			1
	Tatsumi Fujinami	1
	Jordynne Grace		1
	Stu Grayson		1
	Stokely Hathaway	1
	Kaito Ishida		1
	Madoka Kikuta		1
	LA Knight		1
	Mercedes Moné		1
	Omos			1
	PAC			1
	Lowlife Louie Ramos	1
	Kip Sabian		1
	R-Truth			1
	Jey Uso			1
	Sawyer Wreck		1

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senerio posted:

Swerve was robbed

If just 18 more people had posted lists putting Swerve down as their #1 pick and not picking Danielson at all, then he would have.... drawn for 1st place with Danielson!

This is not to put down Swerve, his total is really high (Hangman Adam Page ranked #1 in 2020 with only 292 points!) but uhh... well, yeah! People really like Bryan Danielson!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anyways, thanks for reading along all those who have, and thanks to everybody who made Top Ten lists this year! I'll put together a little stats thing in the next week or so, but for now I'm gonna go sleep for like 30 hours :)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Bryan :hai:

Thanks for doing this; it was super fun reading along and being part of it for my first year, and hopefully not my last :)

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Swerve ranked right where he should have... which is why I put him in 3rd, iirc.

(Edit: no, me am dum. Sorry, bad night, worse morning)

Bryan and Eddie just had better years. Now will Swerve rank higher than Eddie in 2024? If he wins the AEW world title and Eddie doesn't, then yes, I expect Swerve to rank higher for the next poll.

The question is can he outpace the final full time year of Bryan's career?

Kvantum fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 4, 2024

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

Anyways, thanks for reading along all those who have, and thanks to everybody who made Top Ten lists this year! I'll put together a little stats thing in the next week or so, but for now I'm gonna go sleep for like 30 hours :)

Thanks for doing that, do enjoy your sleep

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hmm let's see how I did this year

Jerusalem posted:

code:
24	Kento Miyahara		36 (7)
26	Miu Watanabe		34 (8)
32	Gabe Kidd		23 (9)
42	Kazuki Hirata		12 (10)
48	Shuji Ishikawa		6 (6)
49	Yuji Okabayashi		5 (5)
50	MAO			4 (4)
51	YuuRI			3 (3)
52	Arisa Nakajima		2 (2)
53	Kaito Ishida		1 (1)

Yeah that's about right

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

don't worry MAO will be number one next year

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I was gonna do a bit where I pretended to be grumpy about people not watching enough Japanese wrestling but honestly I don't watch enough Japanese wrestling so I'm gonna try and do more of that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Jerusalem posted:

Tetsuya Naito
  • Highest Ranked Wrestler to Finish the Story.

Eddie?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
my list (in order) with the point total.

Jerusalem posted:

code:
42	Raku			12	My #1
41	Pom Harajuku		13	My #2
46	Hikari Noa		8	My #3
19	Miyu Yamashita		51	My #4
48	Moka Miyamoto		6	My #5
29	Hyper Misao		27	My #6
32	Yuki Kamifuku		23	My #7
26	Miu Watanabe		34	My #8
52	Juria Nagano		2	My #9
51	Ram Kaichow		3	My #10

that all checks out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think it’s safe to say that Bryan didn’t win the clam vote :colbert:

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Incredible job, Jeru!

Reading all these write ups had me considering which was the best and which was the nightmare blunt rotation:

Nightmare blunt rotation: #43
Best blunt rotation: #44

It all makes sense really.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

THANK YOU J RU (clap clap clapclapclap)

always exciting to read, and super fun. It's always a hard decision to put the top 10 lists together and you do a great job with the writeups and banners

also wow some of these point totals and gaps, really interesting to see them

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Perhaps the biggest surprise here is the drop of Asuka, who for years has done respectable totals and often been up there (or THE) top ranked WWE wrestler for that year's thread. FTR both managed to end up in the same spot (shared with current rival Malakai Black!) which is really rather nice. But the saddest realization though is that this is probably the last time we will see Mei Saint-Michel appear in these threads, as her master Sakisama has retreated to her palatial French Estate to lie glamorously on couches, benches and across window-sills, and where she goes, Mei Saint-Michel must follow due to the powerful Goblin magicks that bind her.
I'm glad I was able to keep the best murderclown in the business from falling off the chart, since if I understand the system right all 4 of her points were from me.

Jerusalem posted:

Along with his relationship with his "Mami" Rhea Ripley, Dominik is seemingly custom-made to enrage fans (which delights them of course), and it seems his dad knew what he was doing when he decided to stick with WWE to give his son the best chace for a successful career in wrestling. It looks like it REALLY paid off.
Thank, you, Eddie!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Thank you Jerusalem all these descriptions and images are great!

Can't believe one list really did make a difference (many times even!)

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013
Thanks for doing this, it's great fun to read.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
you can no longer submit a list! thank you to all who participated. results will be posted soon

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Just finished reading, thanks for doing this again. It's neat time capsules for the future as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hang on, about to submit a list

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Awesome work! This is always a great read.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I'm gonna go sleep for like 30 hours :)

Well earned, thanks so much for putting this together. Excellent work.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Nobody buy Nigel McGuinness an account.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
excited to vote for nigel mcguinness next year when he comes out of retirement to retire that clam digger

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That would require Eddie to let a grudge go, and that ain't gonna happen, partnuh :clint:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Brian Danielson is the 2022 Elden Ring of the Top Ten Wrestlers list.
The idea that there are so many amazingly talented wrestlers in the US and in the world but Danielson stomps them into a cube in these polls is really something.
We'll see where he stands with Ospreay and Okada(?) in his final year as an active wrestler now that they'll be (hopefully) enjoying the same visibility.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thanks for this cool poo poo. i forgot to put takeshita in my list and he would have gained about 6 points from it which wouldn't have changed his position. blam blam blam

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Thanks for all your hard work Jerusalem.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Carver posted:

It's neat time capsules for the future as well.

they sure are, and is the best part about them imo

wonderful job again jru!!! thank you so much for doing these they are so much fun :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

super macho dude posted:

Nightmare blunt rotation: #43
Best blunt rotation: #44

Daddy Magic screaming at me not to bring the devil weed into his home. :ohdear:

Carver posted:

It's neat time capsules for the future as well.

It really is! Seeing who falls out of (or back into) favor is really interesting. Who would have possibly imagined CM Punk's triumphant return to wrestling would end up like... well... yeah. Didn't even get a SINGLE vote this year.

fez_machine posted:

Can't believe one list really did make a difference (many times even!)

:hai:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Ospreays winning next year. He's only two years older than Takeshita.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Unless I’m blind then Chris Jericho didn’t get a single vote, going from #9 to not being on the list at all is a major fall in ranks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, I think I might have mentioned that once at one point but it really is a standout, especially as he's kind of yo-yoed in the past. He was 9th in 2022, didn't rank AT ALL in 2021 (and CM Punk was one point outside of the Top 20!), ranked 39th in 2020 and 4th in 2019!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Ospreays winning next year. He's only two years older than Takeshita.

2024 is the year I convince you fuckers to watch Kento Miyahara, swear to god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If All Japan wasn't tucked away in its own little ecosystem I would happily watch it, but it's got the same problem as Stardom (and ROH!) where I hear alot about how good it is but the only way to watch it (live, which is really the only way I want to watch wrestling) is to buy an entirely new subscription on top of others I might have just to watch that and that alone.

Still, Miyahara did REALLY well this year!