Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Except for like Windows. Almost every operating system, including macOS versions, Linux distros, BSD kernels, OS/2 or BeOS etc. have awful branding when it comes to their names. They are either nerd crap (Arch? wtf is a Debian or a Mandriva? Gentoo? Fedora lol) or unrelated to the actual technical product (OS X Weed lmao). Windows is the only one that avoids both problems. I guess Android too

NeXTSTEP was a cool exception maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:sicknasty:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
windows isn’t good

you should need a glazier to install windows

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pity

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

lol at this poster saying by positive things about windows and android, by far the worst dogshit oses

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

TempleOS is a cool name

3des these nuts
Nov 10, 2023
my vote for something plucky like Towns OS (it has owns in the name)

also fond of GEORGE 1, GEORGE 2, GEORGE 3, GEORGE 4, and MERLIN

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Roosevelt posted:

TempleOS is a cool name

you mean losethOS?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
SkyOS

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

we should be grateful that nerds named OSs before nerd poo poo became "cool", otherwise we'd all be upgrading our VoltronOS kernels to Wonder Woman '84, so we can get the bug fixes for the Quantummania network stack

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

also OS/2 is a good name, it's the OS for the PS/2

OS/2 Warp though? :getout:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I prove you wrong with Ubuntu 20.10, known as "Groovy Gorilla":

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Maximo Roboto posted:

Except for like Windows. Almost every operating system, including macOS versions, Linux distros, BSD kernels, OS/2 or BeOS etc. have awful branding when it comes to their names. They are either nerd crap (Arch? wtf is a Debian or a Mandriva? Gentoo? Fedora lol) or unrelated to the actual technical product (OS X Weed lmao). Windows is the only one that avoids both problems. I guess Android too

NeXTSTEP was a cool exception maybe

best thing about os x is that people call it "oh ess ecks," and it makes me lol because i know thats not how youre supposed to say it. gives me a sensible internal chuckle to know theyre wrong

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

apple should go back to that naming convention and release OS XI in honor of the Leader

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
steve jobs named the os x versions after big cats and when he died they almost immediately dropped that practice lol

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
though i do like the toy story codenames for debian they're cute

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
e: ignore the multiple posts i tried to edit one of my old ones and pressed the wrong button

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Branch Nvidian posted:

best thing about os x is that people call it "oh ess ecks," and it makes me lol because i know thats not how youre supposed to say it. gives me a sensible internal chuckle to know theyre wrong

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
remember when apple fanboys tried to tell people that osx was pronounced os "ten"? lol

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Shaggar posted:

remember when apple fanboys tried to tell people that osx was pronounced os "ten"? lol

maybe it was. in tonal

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i wonder when apple will switch to just calling it macOS <release year> since the version numbers are going to be getting boring

of course that depends on macOS staying around for a while, i wonder how long until it stops getting updates

Pythagoras a trois posted:

I prove you wrong with Ubuntu 20.10, known as "Groovy Gorilla":

i am in fact a groovy gorilla

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

mediaphage posted:

i wonder when apple will switch to just calling it macOS <release year> since the version numbers are going to be getting boring

of course that depends on macOS staying around for a while, i wonder how long until it stops getting updates

crazy that there were 16 versions of os x but there have only been 14 versions of macos

i do kinda wish that apple would just work on refining things instead of having to push out a "major" update every calendar year. give me another snow leopard

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 12, 2024

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

mediaphage posted:

are you implying they'll switch to a different system kernel again

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

euroshopper posted:

reminded me of this smuggly incorrect linux youtuber insisting that macos isn't unix or unix-based, but only "unix certified"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bv0rUHDPG4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

euroshopper posted:

well

some people are basically always going to need "computers" but i could imagine that market some day being small enough compared to whatever capabilities what today we call smartphones have that apple just leaves it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Branch Nvidian posted:

yeah it’s clearly “oss ecks”

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Microsoft Bob

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

going to henceforth refer to osx as "mach-derived" while making a :smugmrgw: face

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

If someone does a sysvinit fork of Fedora they should call it M'Lady

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

git apologist posted:

lol at this poster saying by positive things about windows and android, by far the worst dogshit oses

ok Manjaro fan

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

yeah it’s clearly “oss ecks”

o sex

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

this will happen if musk ever buys apple

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
windows 3.1, 3.11 for workgroups, NT, 95, NT4, 98, 2000, XP, Millennium Edition, Vista, 7, 8, 10, 11

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
yeah 8.1 was pretty forgettable huh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

Other chuckles: SCSI, NFTs

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

wait til you find out how some people pronounce 'gif'

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

wait til you find out how some people pronounce 'gif'

i don’t see the problem. it’s pronounced like the g in garage

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

in honor of you, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s a silent g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

it’s a silent g

linugs