Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Never heard of Remnants. Having read the whole Everworld thread, I need to know... does Remnants have an ending? And does it have a good ending?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, the voice is definitely different to the other two series.
The distant future of 2011 is an odd setting. The other series always made a point of being very grounded in the here-and-now, and I wonder if this series will suffer a bit without that grounding. That said, aside from The Pipe and self-driving cars for schoolkids, we haven't seen anything too egregiously weird yet.
So far, the worse the character's name, the more sympathetic the character is. Russian Trauma Kid makes for dull reading, while Mo'Steel's (ugh) chapter was fun.
Finally: I absolutely love stories about the days before the end of the world. (I almost feel like it will be a disappointment when the story leaves the doomed earth behind.) Something about that idea is so compelling. What would you do with your last week on earth? On that note- anyone read On The Beach? There's a classic end-of-the-world novel, perhaps one of the first.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Oh cool, next chapter we get to meet Phresh*Beetz and their crazy friend, YoMaMa

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Coca Koala posted:

Having people arrive on the ship and having an antagonistic presence definitely helps bring some structure to the story in my mind.

Also man, it’s always fun to read these chapters and see the cultural touchpoints from 2001 that are being imagined 10 years in the future. Of course the cop is eating a Krispy Kreme donut, they just went public and their stock is on the rise! Absolutely zero chance they’ll miss earnings and have a C&D issued against them by the SEC!

I've been re-reading Green Mars this week. I love that book but it's showing its age; it hinges on humans establishing a self-sustaining colony on Mars in 2024, and still using faxes in 2050ad.
That said I can imagine a world without social media being a lot less terrible. Maybe that's the inflection point for history.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Uh

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm not sure how the logistics of getting people on an IRL hope rocket would work, let alone deciding who gets a ticket. I feel like it would involve something a little more dramatic than the FBI heading out to the burbs to pick up families who know about the doom comet. Does the wider world know about the Rock yet?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
After thoroughly exploring mutation and wound-based body horror, the animorphs writing team now branches out into "heights, also confined spaces, while medical Things happen to you"

e: also your mum is sad aaaaahh

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Longer than you think, dad! Longer than you think!

e: more seriously, that was a well-written asteroid impact! The initial one felt kind of abstracted- lots of superheated steam &etc, but no mention of what that actually looks like. Maybe I'm spoiled from one too many Kim Stanley Robinson books; that man will happily spend whole chapters describing the colour of a specific geological process.
I think it was mentioned upthread, but murdering Cordelia after giving her an extremely "protagonist" introduction was a smart move from the authors. This book is happy to kill off characters!

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 23, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

The Jaunt was my first thought as well :hfive: I'm sure little Billy will suffer no ill effects from centuries of consciousness with zero sensory input.

Little Billy was already pretty weird. I mean he can't get any worse right?

wizardofloneliness posted:

Oh man, I was really into this series when I was a kid. Well, for the first 4 or 5 books, then I lost interest. A giant asteroid destroying the earth was one of my big fears as a kid, but I also loved reading and watching stuff about huge natural disasters, so I was pretty obsessed with the first book.

Ah! I assumed there was only one of these, for some reason. Does the series have an ending? Does this series' Visser 3 get hurled out of an airlock at any point? Are there more cool "earth gets disintegrated" chapters!!? Although I guess you can only really do that once, right

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Well, once per book, I mean.
There's still hope peril for the actual earth!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
14 books-! No way. I really thought there was only one.
In order to get in the right headspace, I'm gonna go google up the top-selling video games for the year Remnants came out.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Welp, the sleep pod filled with fungal spores sure is an image!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yes of course the giant eyeless baby has little sharp teeth, a lust for blood, and mastery of umbilical mind-control...
I think this setting is bizarre enough that it kind of doesn't need a Visser/Senna/Yago character to up the stakes; I'd be happy if Yago spends the whole series thinking menacing thoughts but never actually does anything.

Soonmot posted:

So the Janes are interesting huh? I wonder if that could be a sort of metaphor for somethings that could not be talked about in a YA book of this time peroid?

I definitely got that vibe. I was skim reading (I'm supposed to be getting some work done atm...) and even read "girls who wanted to be girls" as "people who wanted to be girls." Had to go back and check it to write this post.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yago sucks but so does the murderchilde. Lock them both in the shuttle, imo.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

von Metternich posted:

double freaked out by the idea of putting a tube down your throat into your stomach (lungs?)

You know, I did a bit of fanart for the old animorphs thread, but the same desire has not yet sprung up for this series

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ah, so that's where that smiley comes from.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Folks, following my exclusive interview with Ms Applegate, I can reveal that Remnants was written by opening wikipedia's list of phobias and writing a scene for each one.
How do you kids feel about holes where nature didn't intend for holes to be?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Jim the Nickel posted:

I'd say we're on about a 3-4 out of 10 on the weirdness scale for these books

:gonk:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Aw, man
Nothing good comes from being addressed by your species

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
As noted by Remalle- Heironymous Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights. The top right corner looks an awful lot like a night time WW2 air raid, for something painted in the year 1500....

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
fléchéttés
the thermals of Remnants?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I read these books when I was 11 and definitely did not know who Bosch was at the time, so I feel like I can finally appreciate it now. I remember having a hard time visualizing what the hell was going on and eventually lost interest around book 4-5.

I can't really blame Young You for that. Animorphs had the awesome hook of imagining what it would be like to fly or have tiger powers. Remnants has hibernation pods filled with fungal spores.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
So the last CEO in the universe is about to be eaten! This book might have a happy ending after all.
More seriously, 2Face as unwilling co-conspirator with Yago is a way more interesting dynamic than I thought the author was going for.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I love how this series takes the "whale flying through the sky" image of beauty and splendor. Then adds hundreds of severed human legs to it for funzies

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

It’s been a while since someone’s died horribly, hopefully it’s one of the annoying adults next.

Still gunning for the last ceo in the galaxy to be evaporated

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I like Mo and Job's turbo wholesome vibe, and I kind of hope the author doesn't feel compelled to throw some Interpersonal ConflictTM in there. Probably a vain hope.
Also an ocean filled with looming marble statues is peak vaporwave aesthetic. Just need a pink laser grid in the sky to complete it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soulhunter posted:

So much of this series so far has been the group navigating a hostile AI-generated environment that an AI image seems fitting here to capture the vibe:

Yeah, that just works. It's an oddly compelling image.

Aston posted:

It wouldn't be an Applegrant series without some sailing.

Applegrant has a bizarre belief in the average person's ability to swim in the ocean for 20 minutes and then climb up ropes into a boat. I can't decide if they've never been in the sea before and are showing some seriously misplaced confidence, or if they spend all their free time ocean swimming and have wound up assuming everyone shares their dolphinlike confidence in the water.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Soonmot posted:

I gotta say, these books don't have endings so much as they just straight up end. Also, what the gently caress Billy? Will our next book start with Mo and the crew finding the missing humans?

To quote a rather older bit of sci fi:
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I love how the Animorphs book covers were all KIDS TRANSFORMING INTO TIGERS!! and the Remnants covers are a series of haunted-looking gaunt people

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Hmm. Still plenty of interesting stuff happening, but I'm not a fan of that last section- authors seem to enjoy writing "dream sequence" chapters where there are no rules, but I've always found them tedious to read. The sections with "how do we lower the mast??" form an interesting contrast to what came along next.
I hope the authors got a chance to wrap this series up properly, unliked Everworld's two-chapters-and-done approach!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I assume this ends with Yago's skin getting removed?
GOOD

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That's interesting- Yago mentions a "plasma screen." Did that phrase mean something different when it was written?
Also yeah Yago is turbo-doomed, hopefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Gotta say, having been a teenage male at one point, that it's weird our characters have never once reflected upon the number of female humans remaining in the universe. Like, it'd be a very different and very gross book if that was featured, so I'm glad it isn't; but really 2Face et al should occupy about 50% of our heroes' mental processing power at any given point.

Incidentally if you were an Australin kid of a particular age, you graduated from Animorphs to Marsdsen's Tomorrow series. (The gist is "Australia is invaded by an unnamed country; genuine teenagers become guerillas and slowly destroy themselves because war is really actually not fun.") Ringing any bells for anyone?