Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well that does at least set the tone for the series. Nope, the love interest does not get to sneak on the rocket. They get a 2x4 through the chest in a nuclear blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well poo poo, this series is taking some amazing and dark turns. Centuries in hibernation but still being conscious? That's a recipe for a completely broken psyche.

It's also got enough aftershocks of the expectation subversion that, yeah, I genuinely was unsure if they were going to survive the space walk.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soonmot posted:

There are 14 books and we will start book 2 tomorrow, sorry for the delay, have been getting hyperfocused on a couple video games the last couple days.

You can admit you're running around capturing Legally Distinct Not-Pokemon here. This is a safe space and nobody will judge you.

I just got into the volcano zone for some really good miners and bred an Anubis with rank 4 crafting it's amazing.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Ah there's that Animorphs body horror.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Soonmot posted:

another consistent through line of all these books: cool weird aliens

UH OH!!!

So were they on another ship or something? Five more, but no dead and the rest of the pods empty?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So a ship under attack from other aliens? That's the best I got for what's going on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Coca Koala posted:

I’m so so confused.

Everworld had a bunch of mysteries and questions, but all within a framework that was relatively understandable. I didn’t grow up in Chicago in the early 2000s or whenever, but I can understand approximately what it was like and the forces at play. Everworld doesn’t exist, but I was familiar with the building blocks it was constructed with and could imagine, you know, what happens if the Vikings run into the Aztecs? Hell, i’m pretty sure there’s a show on TLC or the History channel about exactly that question, you know?

I have very little framework to understand what’s happening in Remnants, or to try and figure out what it means and where it’s going. I have no context to try and understand what’s going on with Billy, except that 500 years with no external stimulation is gonna drive somebody batty. I have no idea how to reason about the baby, or the worms, or the paintings brought to life. It’s more challenging to read these chapters just because it can be harder for me to tie events together into a narrative with causes and effects, so my brain ends up skimming over things.

That’s not to say it’s bad - I’m just struggling with it a bit and i might go back and reread these books again when we’re further in and I can put them in a larger context.

The paintings one I can wrap my head around. Alien zookeepers found the drifting ship with pods, looked at whatever media they could find onboard a slap-dash last minute ark that didn't really have the idea of media storage included from the start and said "Well OK I guess that's their homeworld. Make that."

The worms, psychic 500 year old coma patient, and eyeless baby born in cryostasis that transferred its umbilical cord to a bullet hole are all very "The gently caress?" inducing stuff that comes out of left field with no real tie-in to what's going on.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Strategic Tea posted:

I remember being probably too young for these books and very disturbed. The worms hosed me up and not sure I made it much further.

So I'm super surprised not to have any memory at all of the possessed nightmare baby :whitewater:

The implication I got was that the possession is going the other way, the baby possesses her somehow.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Was the frying head/hand/leg and standing deer from a painting or something?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I feel mentioning that the performance will come with a cost was not an idle statement.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So what's their deal with the survivors at this point? Are gasbags sacred animals and the humans are profaning their rituals or something? I thought they got what they wanted when their world came back (and the interesting crisis of faith that introduced, that I think is going to have much longer legs in the story)? That's the first thing I could come up with that is a motivation at this point and also means going inside the gasbag would mean anything besides "Oh they're not moving, now they're easier to kill".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Spicy scent of cockroaches. No idea if that's even a thing but now the sentence will be in my brain forever.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I imagine Mother has something weird up her....sleeve?...that makes it more than cannons and sabers against the meanies but at the same time I'm pretty confident whatever it is, is going to suck for Yago.

Which, ya know, cool. Enjoy getting exactly what you wanted Yago. You're in charge little buddy. It's all you.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well that's gotta take it up a notch on the weird-o-meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Tree Bucket posted:

Yago would be very upset that you don't think he's a good role model.

OG Yago yeah. Yago 2.0 would tell you to Trust The Plan.