Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I know absolutely nothing about this series but the summary sounds bizarre so I'm here for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I think the weirdest part of this setting so far isn’t that they had self-driving cars in 2009, but that the first self-driving car was shipped by Ford, of all companies. I guess it’s being set ten years in the future and 2001 was still a few years before detroit really started making GBS threads the bed?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Yeah the setup seems interesting but I'm also still grappling with the psychic damage of the setting being "the distant future of over ten years ago"

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Having people arrive on the ship and having an antagonistic presence definitely helps bring some structure to the story in my mind.

Also man, it’s always fun to read these chapters and see the cultural touchpoints from 2001 that are being imagined 10 years in the future. Of course the cop is eating a Krispy Kreme donut, they just went public and their stock is on the rise! Absolutely zero chance they’ll miss earnings and have a C&D issued against them by the SEC!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Man as soon as that chapter started i was like “huh I wonder what convoluted plotline is going to get Cordelia from San Francisco to the ship”?

Anyways,

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Lmao at the pregnant marine casually puffing on a vape. Sometimes the future predictions don’t pan out, but sometimes they do.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Soonmot posted:

And again expectations are subverted, I thought Tamara was gonna swap with doctor, but instead she's dead.

Yeah, same - this series is really swinging into giving you named characters with backstories and motivations who immediately die.

I'm kind of curious to see how this storyline is going to swerve into having kids be in charge - in Everworld it worked neatly because they were a group of 4-5 and had to make decisions for themselves, but here you've got batches of teenagers plus a bunch of adults who are nominally in charge and supervising. Is every single adult in this story going to meet with an untimely end?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
lotta planets out there, and a lot of rocks just waiting to hit them.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Let’s read The Remnants: jesus christ what the gently caress

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
It's odd because I read that paragraph and thought "huh, this is a really interesting depiction of teenage rejection of social media" and then remembered that this was written in what, 2001? Were people really reacting that much to myspace? Maybe that's just my 2024 brain looking back and being like "yeah, social media is where poo poo really started to go downhill" and so that's what it inserts as the reason why this character is roleplaying jane austen as a form of expression.

Also wow i feel like this book would have freaked the gently caress out of me as a kid.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Yeah the baby makes me feel very viscerally uncomfortable and I am honestly kind of hoping they die soon so that I don’t have to think about them anymore, sorry empty-eyed baby

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
excuse me ms applegate i would like you to stop publishing my nightmare journal and calling it the second book in a children's series

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I’m so so confused.

Everworld had a bunch of mysteries and questions, but all within a framework that was relatively understandable. I didn’t grow up in Chicago in the early 2000s or whenever, but I can understand approximately what it was like and the forces at play. Everworld doesn’t exist, but I was familiar with the building blocks it was constructed with and could imagine, you know, what happens if the Vikings run into the Aztecs? Hell, i’m pretty sure there’s a show on TLC or the History channel about exactly that question, you know?

I have very little framework to understand what’s happening in Remnants, or to try and figure out what it means and where it’s going. I have no context to try and understand what’s going on with Billy, except that 500 years with no external stimulation is gonna drive somebody batty. I have no idea how to reason about the baby, or the worms, or the paintings brought to life. It’s more challenging to read these chapters just because it can be harder for me to tie events together into a narrative with causes and effects, so my brain ends up skimming over things.

That’s not to say it’s bad - I’m just struggling with it a bit and i might go back and reread these books again when we’re further in and I can put them in a larger context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I got behind in the thread and ended up binging a good chunk of chapters at once. I definitely would not have enjoyed these books as a kid. What was the contemporary reception of them like, I wonder? I remember reading a bunch of Animorphs and a few Everworld books, but I never heard of this series at all and I have to wonder if it’s because I aged out of the target demographic or if they were just very quietly received and never made a big splash.

Edit: also yeah I really wonder if Mother understands the Bosch stuff - did Mother figure “oh, this is their art, surely it will be familiar and comforting to these creatures” or was it a deliberate “I have no mouth and I must scream, thank god I don’t have to invent tortures for you and can just cop from the nightmare journal you decided to bring with you for some reason”

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 20, 2024