Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

SG2 Dante "Al Toque" Laguna
Ejército del Perú

Al Toque's heart sinks a little, but he nods. "We can't promise much, I'm sure you can understand we don't exactly have much excess for our travel. Once my companion and I get back to our camp, we can see if we have anything we can spare, but you're right, we should be gone sooner than late, both for our purposes and to keep you out of any trouble we've brought along." After a moment of thought, he sighs. "I hate to ask a favor before we can even be sure we have anything to give, and actually I have a few. Can you help us find La Goviota? Once we're stable and have a bit more equipment, we may be able to send supplies your way, we may even be able to find other ways to help you, but I think that's really not something we can do until we make proper contact."
Dante takes another breath, uncertain, but he already broached a second favor, so he continues. "Also, Señor, mi Abuela. She was visiting my cousins and their children in the city. Mama Laguna is a sweet woman and doesn't deserve such hardship. I don't think she's out here, but if a kind old woman who insists on dental hygiene and proper posture arrives and starts correcting your guards, could you take care of her for me? Back in Peru, I'm fairly certain she ran the city, though certainly not on paper. I can't be sure she'd find her way here, but it would make my life easier knowing if she did she'd be taken care of." After a moment, he steels himself. "I understand it's tough to care for such a large family, disjointed and varied as it is, but with luck you can return to your homes one day, or at worst find new homes."

A la patria vivir consagrado
y por ella luchar a morir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

15 March, 2010
Shift 4
Bosque Refugio

Al Abuelo nods, listening to Al Toque’s description of his grandmother. His eyes soften, “It’s a drop in the bucket, but I am sorry she’s caught up in all this. We’ve all lost people, but there are some efforts to make rosters of the missing, my son is trying to wrap his arms around it,” he nods to a man listening from the doorway into the makeshift dormitory wing. The man consults a large notepad, flipping between pages then shakes his head. “I’m sorry,” he says, “we don’t have good records of folks from that part of the city, many were put under martial law and did not get out before being ‘offered’ jobs keeping the Chinese garrison afloat.”

He pulls a map out and unrolls it, “I don’t know where La Gaviota is exactly, but I can give you some ideas. She had a camp near Laguna Lynch, a reservoir southwest of the city.” he points to an orange line on the map, “The last refugees we got in said that the Chinese have stopped all patrolling south of this line, in the poorest parts of the city. I guess they don’t find it worth clearing out, but it does mean the resistance has a strong presence there.”

He slides his fingers up the city, “I’m sure you’ll find this information useful as well, there are two main ports in the city, the southern one is more suitable for deep draft vessels, and it’s where all the big Chinese equipment came ashore. The northern port they staged mostly patrol craft and lighter vessels out of. We know of two anti-aircraft batteries, large groups of missile launchers, radars, those pissant tanks with quad cannons on them, and support trucks. A warehouse in the western district was repurposed as a surface to air missile storage site, lots of trucks in and out of there loaded with munitions. Lastly, they’ve taken any dissidents they can find and herded them into an open air prison in the middle of the city, around an old racetrack.”

He sits back in his chair again, after giving you some time to study the map, “I appreciate any help you can give, medical supplies would be the biggest help even simple things like antibiotics and antiseptics. But please, don’t make empty promises, we’ve had enough of those from people sitting back enjoying fine coffee and snacks in high-backed leather chairs as they leave us to rot under the Chinese boot.”

Meanwhile, outside

Martinez is starting to fall victim to a classic pitfall of keeping watch, a pattern. He’s scanned slowly left then slowly right so many times across this camp that he’s on autopilot before he startles himself noticing something glinting under a red light. In a tent, towards the left side of the compound someone is tip tapping away on a keyboard using a red light to protect their nightvision. A small line runs out of their tent to a well camouflaged satellite dish. If not for their tent flap slipping open you never would have spotted it.

Martinez suffers 1 stress pushing the recon roll to spot that.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Sargento Segundo Jorge Briceño
Dirección de Inteligencia del Ejército

El Abuelo, thank you for this invaluable information. As you say, it's probably safer for everyone involved if we don't spend too much time here. We will put what you told us to good use to start lifting up that PLA boot.

We do have some medical supplies, we can't spare the combat medicine kit as you may well imagine, but we do have some extra antibiotics and antiseptics to spare for the worst cases. I'll bring them back in a few minutes. That aside, I will make it my personal priority to do what I can to get medical supplies and food delivered here, but I can make no promises about what those in the big leather chairs will approve. If we see an opportunity to relieve the PLA of any of these items before the coffee sippers get them to us here, we will bring them back to you. The air defence network the PLA have implemented is apparently quite potent, so I don't want to make any promises we can't fulfil.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Ejército del Perú

Dante nods along, and pipes up at the end. "Of course, Señor, I did not mean to give false hope. We will try, but you can't feed your people on try. Thank you, sir, for your assistance. If all goes well, you may see more of us with much happier tidings."

Al Toque nods to himself, then glances to Aguja to see if he has any more to add before he makes his farewells and make the quick hike back to camp.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez
Amphibious Commandos Group - IMARA

quote:

In a tent, towards the left side of the compound someone is tip tapping away on a keyboard using a red light to protect their nightvision. A small line runs out of their tent to a well camouflaged satellite dish. If not for their tent flap slipping open you never would have spotted it.

While observing the camp from a vantage point, Martinez recognizes the incongruity of this sighting, and motions Con Qua over to take a look through the binoculars. It could be nothing more than a homesick Chilean, or it could be as serious as a Chinese informant. With Toque and Briceño finishing up their conversation with El Abuelo, and the overwatch no longer needed, the two agree to check out this secretive data site. They communicate their intentions over the encrypted tactical radios, then pick up Briceño's extra medicine to bring into the camp. The pair then make their way to the camp entrance. They wave to the man on sentry, and explain that they're bringing in the donations of antibiotics and antiseptics that were requested by El Abuelo. After dropping the medicine off with Briceño, Martinez and Con Qua quietly make their way along to the left edge of the compound. They're both pretty good at avoiding being noticed, and the bustle and noise of the twilit camp provides ample cover for them. Once they reach the tent site, they take a quick look around to see if there are any guards or other anomalies, then make their way to the tent flap. After glancing at each other, considering what they might find, Martinez makes his way inside - followed by Con Qua.

"Good evening, is this the internet cafe? I need to charge my batteries."

”Stirps Virilis”

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 5, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

15 March, 2010
Shift 4
Bosque Refugio

After handing off the small packet of medicine, Aguja and Martinez slip towards the red lit tent. As they get close, hushed tones come from the inside, “They’re getting close, I need help here!” followed by “Please, Yi, you promised!” As the tent flap is jerked open the noises stop, and the young man inside tries to slam his laptop shut with a panicked look on his face, a headset and microphone around his neck and hoodie drawn up tight to conceal his features from the side.

Con Qua reaches out and grabs the man's hand, keeping the laptop open. The mans eyes turn to see Con Qua’s features and his expression widens, as he begins stammering, “no no, no no noononononono” and tries to push himself backwards into his tent. He pulls a backpack emblazoned with “Republic of Gamers” in front of him like a shield as his stammers turn louder as he says, “Nooooooo, the enemy!” He’s loud enough that nearby neighbors are starting to stir in their tents.

Both Con Qua and Martinez take a second to take in the contents of the computer screen. A greyed out overhead of a forest fills the screen, but it’s not surveillance footage of the camp... the trees are too cartoonish. As you take in more of the details you can read rapid lines of text scrolling up the screen. “Stop throwing! You suck! And mid! MID!” fly by as equally cartoonish characters stomp around slinging bright explosions at each other. “GAME OVER” and “RANK DOWN” with angry red arrows flashes on the screen and the man slumps down, defeated. “Noooo” he cries directly into the backpack.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez

Martinez and Con Qua take in the scene of the dejected gamer collapsed in his chair, having lost yet another game of DOTA. "Yeah you really got make sure to get those last-hits in while jungling, or otherwise you don't have the XP advantage when you get ganked," says Martinez. "I've heard there's a sequel being developed that should have some build suggestions and other improvements." The guy quickly recovers from his surprise at being interrupted by strangers while in the midst of digital combat, but seems amiable enough. Though he insists that he is not playing DOTA, but rather the recently-introduced League of Legends.

Apparently the nearby camp neighbors are pretty used to this guy's antics at this point, and the handful of curious heads poking out of tent flaps quickly return to their business - grumbling about how "that Gupaudar kid" needs to keep it down because folks are trying to sleep. Apparently he's the kind of nerd who goes by his online handle in real life as well as online. Sometimes trail nicknames can be weird. "Gupaudar" helpfully offers to let Martinez charge his batteries and Con Qua to send off a quick message to command. Neither the laptop nor the satellite connection will be secure, but Guillotine team had already expected to use civilian comms to communicate, and the officer is quite familiar with the single-use codes and dead-drop emails that are being used for this op. Martinez idly chats with "Gupaudar" while the batteries charge and Con Qua makes his report - he asks how the guy ended up here in the woods, what life is like out here, and if he has any friends that are still in Punta Arenas.

”Stirps Virilis”

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 8, 2024

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

Đa Minh Germain
S/Lt. Légion étrangère

Con Qua grunted and took a seat in front of the kid’s laptop. The mechanical keys felt strange from most laptops he worked on and seemed to be a bit crunchy. His bet was the kid lived 90% of his life hovering over the machine. Con Qua pulled up a browser, and typed the dead drop website URL into the top bar. He navigated to the “Contact Us” page where he could submit an anonymous message that would be read by someone in the intelligence chain of command.

2 FXD SAII AT PA SAII-BKTLR HEARD WCST

Pressing enter he stepped up and away from the machine. He motioned to the gamer “Hey kid, clear the history and cookies on this machine.” He imagined the machine’s browsing history desperately needed it anyways, knowing how these gamer types were. The kid sat down and Con Qua and Al Toque watched over his shoulder as he went through the motions to flush out the browser history. Satisfied, Con Qua turned to his companion – “Where to next?”

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

15 March, 2010
Shift 4
Bosque Refugio

After making a report to headquarters. The team bids the camp in the woods farewell and set off eastward through the dark of midnight. Travel is a little quicker, as there are hastily beaten trails through the forest made by the flow of refugees back and forth. The team doesn’t spot any sentries or guard posts, cementing the fact that this really is just a camp of survivors, and not the resistance base they were hoping for. Hopefully, more luck at Laguna Lynch awaits.

16 March, 2010
Shift 1

The deep woods and hills of the national reserve slowly give way to a small series of steep canyons which further flatten out into scrubland. The rain which has been ever present begins to relent, letting the stars reflect off the distant waters of Laguna Lynch.

Shift 2
Al Toque is on point as he leads the team to a small several-meter rise near the edge of the lake they spotted as a spot to get their bearings as the sun rises. As they break through the scrub tree line, a small camp with hastily dug fighting positions sits on the hill. Al Toque and the team freeze then back into the scrub, watching for several minutes.

Tent material flaps in the light breeze, the campfire is a pile of ash, no smoke or heat. Slowly observing the camp, two of the tents have deep gashes in them, in disrepair. No people stir, and the camp appears abandoned. The team slowly moves in to search for clues.

At first glance, the camp looks recently used, in the last few days but not overnight, given the completely cool fire. Con Qua kicks the pile of ash and there’s no red coals to be found. One tent looks like a makeshift hospital, blood-soaked towels and sleeping bags are piled in the far corner. The center tent is thoroughly ransacked, with many bootprints in the mud all around it.

Suddenly, a crack from the southeast treeline rings out as a bullet slams into Martinez’ chest rig, pulling his breath out with a woosh. Almost at the same time, another crack rings out as Con Qua’s helmet takes a round, causing his vision to narrow slightly. As the team tries to react to the contact, figures in two of the fighting positions throw camouflage netting off them and open up with automatic fire. While the first burst of staccato fire sails over the heads of the team, the second burst hits home, knocking Aguja down. He doesn’t cry out, but his breath immediately begins shaking and stuttering, a surefire sign of a lung injury.

Single shots from the treeline deal 1 damage to Con Qua and Martinez, mostly ablated by armor. A burst hits Aguja for 4 damage to the torso, incapacitating him with a critical punctured lung. This crit will be lethal if not treated before a shift elapses.

You got ambushed, just bad recon rolls unfortunately. You all act next, declare actions!

Overall battlefield

Zoom in on the action

The big hexes are regular 10 meter hexes, and the small hex’s are just so people can be in the same hex without overlapping

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Ejército del Perú

"iMierde! Ambush!" Al Toque was already getting tired of being shot at, and certainly isn't happy about seeing one of his squad bleeding on the ground. He hoped Aguja would be okay as he turned his attention to the soldiers. He runs to the side of one of the nearby tents, hopefully concealing his exact position from the other soldiers as he opens fire on the group to the south. Maybe he could distract them enough that they wouldn't be able to take a clean shot at him, so clearly unobscured as he was from them.

I intend to continue firing to my ROF of 6 with my rifle, unaimed. I don't want to push the result as I'm mainly focused on occupying the Southern group of soldiers so they either can't shoot my team, or at least have a harder time shooting. As I doodle it, line of sight is blocked by the tent for all other combatants, but I am not taking cover from the group I am shooting at.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Al Toque scrambles to the tent and hoses the trenchwork with his P90 forcing the soldiers to dive into cover.

20 rounds expended, no hits, enemy suppressed

Statlines
Character | Hit Capacity | Stress Capacity | Ammunition: Current Mag/Capacity (Full Mags Left) | Notes
Con Qua | 4/5 | 6/6 | 14/30 (10) |
Al Toque | 5/5 | 5/5 | 3/50 (4) |
Aguja | 0/4 | 6/6 | 30/30 (4 +1 28/30) | Incapacitated. Punctured Lung.
Martinez | 5/6 | 2/4 | 3/5 (5) |

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 9, 2024

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

Đa Minh Germain
S/Lt. Légion étrangère

gently caress!! Hardly comprehending how close he came to dying just a split second ago, Con Qua turned over his shoulder to see Aguja down and looking panicked. Seeing that the enemy he immediately turns and dives to Aguja, threading is arms underneath Aguja's own and dragging him desperately back to behind the tent. Once laid there, Con Qua drops his bag and digs through for the doctors kit. If we don't stabilize Aguja now, we'll lose him while the Chinese pin us down.

As he digs down through Aguja's shirt, there's a lot of blood. More than he's ever seen before. His own panic builds but he presses hard with the sucking wound patch, hoping to seal it tight enough to keep Aguja from drowning in his own blood.

Taps fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 10, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Con Qua finds the chest seal, tears it open with his teeth while wiping away blood to make a relatively clean spot. He sticks the adhesive down and Aguja's breathing normalizes as he rolls over into a ball, but regains his senses.

Medical Aid with 1 Success, Aguja is stabilized, and wont die from this critical injury. It will heal on its own in 3 days OR with a medical aid roll by a higher level of care. Until t hen Aguja is at -2 Stamina and Mobility.

Statlines
Character | Hit Capacity | Stress Capacity | Ammunition: Current Mag/Capacity (Full Mags Left) | Notes
Aguja | 1/4 | 6/6 | 30/30 (4 +1 28/30) | Punctured Lung (3 days)
Martinez | 5/6 | 2/4 | 3/5 (5)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Puta puta Puta. I've never experienced pain as bad as this. I tap Con Qua on the shoulder and wheeze out a bloody "Thanks", grab my rifle and haphazardly fire at the group to the south to keep their heads down

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

16 March, 2010
Shift 2
Laguna Lynch Camp

Martinez knows that when reacting to contact sometimes you have to move through it, staying in one place is deadly. He dashes to the edge of the tent closest to the soldiers to the east and hurls a frag grenade. The Chinese soldiers picked a good position, a trench about waist high, excellent cover and even better concealment as you found out. However, when Martinez’ grenade lands at their feet, it becomes a shrapnel-filled death hole. Dirt and debris shower out of the hole like it’s a directional charge.

Two soldiers killed, 1 unscathed, and he made his suppression roll. He’s probably deaf though.

Aguja crawls forward to the edge of the tent, using the ground to prop his weapon up, watching the trench to the south for any movement.

The soldiers in that trench aren’t visible, they’re suppressed, so Aguja enters overwatch

Round 2
The soldier in the trench that took the grenade stumbles up and manages to get a snapshot off at Martinez. It whips through the tent, losing some of its power going through what sounds like several metal objects but still strikes Martinez in the leg.

Soldier hits Martinez, damage reduced for partial cover of the tent.

One of the soldiers in the woods sprints forward and slides into the far end of the southern trench while his partner stays to cover him, resting his rifle against a tree and aiming towards the area Al Toque fired from.

One soldier leapfrogs the other, from the trees to the south, while the other enters overwatch towards Al Toque. The soldiers in the southern trench unsuppress.

From the north a single voice calls out “¡Nguillatun mew tayiñ weichan!” low and guttral, but booming with volume. Immediately after a chorus responds “¡Nguillatun!” as irregular fighters burst from the brush to the north. Two men carrying AK pattern weapons with white feathers tucked into paracord running up the magazine run low towards the northern trench and dive into it.

From further to the northeast shots ring out and the soldier in the eastern trench’s head is turned into a canoe as a round penetrates just below the helmet and exits the opposite ear. Another sharper, louder crack of a higher caliber long rifle sounds but the impact isn’t immediately apparent.

It is a new round for you all, declare actions!

Statlines
Aguja | 1/4 | 6/6 | 30/30 (4 +1 28/30) | Punctured Lung
Martinez | 3/6 | 2/4 | 3/5 (5)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm going to lay a burst of fire into the PLA soldier hiding behind the tree, max ROF

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

Đa Minh Germain
S/Lt. Légion étrangère

Seeing that Aguja might make it yet, Con Qua takes a quick check of his rifle and dashes south, just behind the next tent down. He trains his sights down at the southern trench, ready and waiting for any sign of movement, his finger on the trigger, initiating overwatch.

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Ejército del Perú

Al Toque sees Con Qua take up aim at the bastards in the trench, so he decides it's probably a good plan to round to the other corner of the tent and toss a smoke grenade at the closer soldier so he can't get a good shot at Martinez

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez

With the rush of combat pumping adrenaline into his system, Martinez didn’t have much time to take stock of the seeming allies that materialized out the woods, nor make sense of their mysterious battle cry. But he was quick to react when his grenade blast was quickly followed by a crackle of shots catching the entrenched PLA ambushers in enfilade. The last defender dropped dead, and he sprinted for the cover of the trench - barely noticing the metal fragments that had injured his left leg.

Jumping into the cover of the slot trench, Martinez ignores the gruesome sight of the torn apart soldiers, and grabs a rifle out of the hands of one of the fallen troops. Soon he’ll be able to turn the weapon against the invaders.

”Stirps Virilis”

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

16 March, 2010
Shift 2 / Round 2
Laguna Lynch Camp

Aguja shifts his aim to the soldier in the trees watching Al Toque and unleashes a burst. Pain shoots through his chest and he almost runs the weapon dry. The solder ducks his head for a moment before lining back up on Al Toque, cool as a cucumber. Aguja knows firing his weapon like this is terrible for it, but it can’t be helped.

Aguja fired 25 rounds, did not hit, and the soldier made a heroic suppression roll at -2. Aguja’s weapon suffers -1 reliability.

Con Qua scrambles south and posts up next to the tent nearest the trench, daring the soldiers taking cover in it to try him.

Con Qua enters overwatch on the southern trench.

Al Toque rotates around the tent to the north side and lobs a smoke grenade over. It hisses and spews smoke, obscuring the east side of the trench.

Martinez rushes into the trench and strips a QBA-95 from one of the dead soldiers. The dying man grasps as Martinez begging for help from a jaw missing its lower half. It would probably garner sympathy if Martinez wasn’t bleeding.

Round 3
The three soldiers stand up at once in the southern trench, ready to bring fire onto Con Qua or Al Toque. Con Qua is ready, and his aimed shot drops a soldier like a sack of wet cement back into the trench, dead. The Chinese soldiers two friends aren’t phased, and they open up on Con Qua in retaliation but their rounds fly well over Con Qua’s head.

The soldier rushes out of the smoke, rounding the corner of the tent and bull rushing Al Toque, knocking him prone and landing on top of him. He scrambles for his knife.

The soldier succeeded on a Diving Blow, knocking Al Toque prone. Al Toque burned his fast action unsuccessfully defending.

The woodline soldier bounds eastward into the thick scrub and sends a shot north at the irregulars to no effect.

The bolt-action rifle cracks again, this time finding its mark, skimming the soldier in the woods. A burst of automatic fire rattles past martinez and drops the soldier in the woods as you see a line of bullets stitch up his legs as he falls down.

The two irregulars in the trench run south and position themselves north of one of the tents, one of them looks at Aguja and shouts, “Who the gently caress are you supposed to be?”

Statlines
Con Qua | 4/5 | 6/6 | 13/30 (10) |
Aguja | 1/4 | 6/6 | 5/30 (4 +1 28/30) | Punctured Lung

A new player turn. Declare!

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Ejército del Perú

As he crashes to the ground, Al Toque is reminded of his close combat training, and specifically the instructor frequently shoving the students out of nowhere, "Never be caught flat footed!" he'd say. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago, and he hadn't thought of that in more than a couple years. Luckily, he let his SMG clatter to the ground as he fell, leaving his hands free, so he attempts to take the knife from the soldier rather than fumbling for his machete.

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

Đa Minh Germain
S/Lt. Légion étrangère

I move my M4 slightly to the left, putting the next soldier standing in the southern trench in the center of my sights. I squeeze the trigger twice to deliver two 3 round bursts hopefully square to his body.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Round 3
The two irregulars in the trench run south and position themselves north of one of the tents, one of them looks at Aguja and shouts, “Who the gently caress are you supposed to be?”

"We can discuss that AFTER the bullets stop flying. The Enemy of my Enemy is my friend after all!"

Aguja takes aim at one of the PLA soldiers to the south and lets loose the remaining 5 rounds in this magazine

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez

Martinez sees his buddy Al Toque struggling in hand to hand combat with the Chinese soldier. Trusting that the newfound partisans are friendly, Martinez turns his back on them and carefully aims his purloined QBZ-95 assault rifle at the prone figures and delivers a series of shots at the PLA trooper on top of Toque.

Ranged Combat A / Agility A
Rifleman +1
Prone -1
Moving Target -1

Total: D10 D12
ROF: 6

”Stirps Virilis”

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 10, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

16 March, 2010
Shift 2 / Round 3
Laguna Lynch Camp

Al Toque knows all too well how dangerous that knife can be in close combat, and quickly moves to knock it out of his opponents hands. Unfortunately only the sharp end is available, and Al Toque grimaces as he runs his hand along it giving his hands a solid gash but managing to wrench the weapon away. The knife clatters to the ground.

Disarming attack by Al Toque, pushed for 1 success, 1 damage.

Con Qua shifts his aim and squeezes the trigger, sending a group of rounds right into the next Chinese soldier's arm. The bullets impact in a tight group above the elbow and the soldier's arm falls to the ground as the soldier himself tumbles into the trench screaming.

Con Qua uses 10 rounds to kill another soldier.

Aguja drops the other soldier as he empties his mag. Being so low to the ground, firing frequently his gun has picked up mud and grime and as the last bullet is fired from this magazine it jams hard.

Aguja uses his remaining rounds in his mag to kill the last soldier in the trench, but jams his weapon and loses 2 reliability in doing so.

Martinez aims at the soldier wrestling with Al Toque, hoping his aim is true with a weapon he has never fired before. He squeezes off 20 rounds kicking up dust all around the two fighters before a bullet catches the Chinese soldier in the ankle. Al Toque is unharmed, but some of those came a little close for comfort.

Martinez uses 20 rounds to inflict 4 damage and a critically crushed ankle, but this soldier is still up

Round 4

The soldier and Al Toque continue to trade blows, the soldier trying to get the upper hand and Al Toque defending for his life. Even with a crushed ankle, the soldier fights with a fury Al Toque never saw in training. As the soldier brings both his hands together above his head ready to drop them down on Al Toque a shot from one of the irregulars rings out and the soldier slumps down on top of Al Toque.

The soldier hits Al Toque, who burns his fast action to defend. Resistance fighter hits the Chinese soldier in the torso for enough damage to finish him off.

The air stills after the cacophony of the firefight, and just as quickly shouts of “¡Marilu marilu!” fill the air. The irregular fighters don’t waste any time, quickly moving to the dead soldiers and policing up ammo, grenades, and first aid. In the process, they heft the soldier off Al Toque and help him to his feet. A woman walks up from the east out of the woods and whistles sharply. Several more irregulars follow with large packs to haul away the supplies.

She is in her mid 30s with weathered, sun-kissed skin. She looks over at Martinez then to Aguja, half laughing, “Thank god you guys fight better than you look...who the hell are you?” Based on her accent alone you'd peg her as someone with higher education, probably abroad.

Statlines
Con Qua | 4/5 | 6/6 | 3/30 (10) |
Al Toque | 4/5 | 5/5 | 3/50 (4) |
Aguja | 1/4 | 6/6 | 0/30 (4 +1 28/30) | Weapon Jammed / Punctured Lung

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Ejército del Perú

Dante chuckled, looking at his comrades. After giving the growing awkward silence some time to breathe, he coughed. "Well, Señora, we've been sent by some like-interested parties in regards to one, eh, Stay-Pufft Marshmallow Man, you wouldn't happen to know if gulls like marshmallows, do you?" As he waited for a response, he busied himself with wiping his hand off. He was pretty sure he got enough of the challenge phrase out.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

16 March, 2010
Shift 2
Laguna Lynch Camp

She looks at Al Toque quizzically then stifles a laugh as it dawns on her, “You know that’s a month old and it’s supposed to be “Do you think the Eagles could help with Stay-Pufft Marshmallow Man” right? Though, with how fast you are all running away from fights down here no wonder nobody caught the update.” She looks at Aguja, and the amount of blood soaking into the ground then turns back to Al Toque, “We can’t stay here, they'll come looking for this patrol, can your team carry him? Our outpost is about two klicks, and we have a competent sawbones as long as he’s had a stiff enough drink.” She gestures vaguely northeast, across the lake.

Aguja was stabilized in the fight, so moving him won’t prompt a death save, however it will require a joint stamina from the two men doing it, and you’ll have to figure out some means. A fail there could cause harm to Aguja.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 14, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez

Taking in the condition of the team, Martinez quickly sees that the group is in no state to object to the woman's request. Everyone is injured, and Aguja is suffering from a sucking pneumothorax wound that could prove fatal if not treated quickly. Fortunately Con Qua was able to treat Aguja during the firefight, and in a move straight out of a telenovela he was able to insert a medical spile and perform a needle thoracostomy - immediately relieving the tension.

Martinez digs into his pack and pulls out the tent shelter that he's been carrying since departing Puerto Natales. "Finally a use for this maldito thing" he grumbles to himself. Quickly rigging the poles and the fabric as an improvised litter, he waves over "Al Toque" and asks him to help manhandle Aguja onto the litter and lift him into the air. Two klicks isn't far, but carrying a casualty over rough terrain is always an exhausting pain in the rear end. Hopefully there won't be any mud, bushes, or other things in the way. "We're just taking a little constitutional, Aguja. Think good thoughts and concentrate on not drowning in your own spit."

With Con Qua carrying Aguja's backpack and applying pressure to Aguja's critical wound, and Toque and Martinez maneuvering the weight of the casualty, the team starts following the partisans towards their outpost. This is precisely the sort of thing that Ranger training focused on, but this is really a four-person job so it's a good thing that the litter-bearers have both Strength and Stamina. Joder!

”Stirps Virilis”

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 14, 2024

Taps
Aug 14, 2009

Đa Minh Germain
S/Lt. Légion étrangère

As he kept his hands on Aguja's chest, Con Qua looked back over his shoulder at their new friends. He wondered how they were armed, trained and dressed. He was interested in how long they've been out here, how hard they've been hitting, or been hit. Were these veterans, or fresh town folks conscripted? His eyes wandered over them and to their new found friend who seemed to be in on "the joke". He wondered about her accent, and if he spoke up would she be able to tell he was also someone of education, and would she consider him out of place in these southern climes?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

16 March, 2010
Shift 3 - Travel

The team moves Aguja onto the makeshift stretcher as quickly and gingerly as possible. The resistance fighters have made quick work of the enemies, scavenging everything useful, and leaving a gull feather calling card stuck gruesomely into the eye of the highest ranked soldier, like a little flag waving in the breeze. It is obvious they’re waiting on you, but you are able to get Aguja’s litter up and moving. It’s slow, but steady going. Martinez ranger and SERE training help him numb to the pain of his own untreated injuries plus the extra weight and Al Toque grits his own pain as well.

Con Qua takes in the resistance forces as they ruck along with the team. They are dressed like they raided an REI or Patagonia store. Lots of hiking gear to keep them dry and warm. Some loose camouflage fatigues or olive drab uniforms poke out under windbreakers and coats but they are without markings. They are armed with mostly AK pattern weapons, though it’s a mix. Short ones with stubby barrels and folding metal stocks, full size knockoff Dragunovs, etc. A fair number of fighters are armed with Con Qua first clocks as FALs, but realizes they are FARA 83’s, indigenous Argentine rifles from the 1980s. La Gaviota sports a Remington 700 with several modifications, nikon scope, bipod, straight pull bolt, the barrel looks like it’s bedded in glass.

Few of the fighters strike Con Qua as traditional soldiers, anyone in the military would have pulled out with their units, there was very little in the way of stay-behind put together in the hasty withdrawal from the Chinese.

La Gaviota engages in conversation, but you can tell she deeply resents the fact that her forces were abandoned during the pull out, and that aid has been non-existent until you showed up. She doesn’t outright say it, but she was expecting more than four guys she had to rescue from an ambush. They’ve been fighting since early february, and they have made some progress hitting the Chinese but they need airstrikes, manpower, and supplies in order to make a dent. She confirms everything Rojas said about Punta Arenas, the SA-11 sites, the prison camp, and the fact that resistance forces have grabbed a toehold on the south end of the city, in the slums, though she thinks it’s just because the Chinese don’t care about that area, they could push the fighters out easily with the forces they have in the city. She has mostly stuck to hitting patrols and keeping the Chinese bottled up, but she knows time is limited on how long she can remain in this position.

Their path winds around the east side of the lake into an area under construction, likely abandoned during the invasion. The resistance has turned the sprawling area into a series of well hidden nooks and crannies. From a distance it looks like the abandoned construction site it was before they moved in, but behind tarps and plywood, under netting hung at just the right angle, and into an impressive trenchwork lay bunkers, stores, and living quarters for La Gaviotas group.

As you get into the compound, La Gaviota directs you to a medical bunker, “See Dr Flores, your worst wounded first but you all look like you need some care. Then, get some chow and rest, then we’ll talk about what you can do for the resistance.”

In the small but surprisingly well appointed medical bunker, there is a series of medical cots, mostly filled with wounded resistance fighters. A curtain partition hangs near the back, blocking off a makeshift operating theater. The air reeks of chemical disinfectant, which is a good sign, someone is trying to keep it clean.

Minor Retcon, just going in a more interesting direction with the “sawbones”, disregard La Gaviota’s comments in the last post

A woman in her 40s, hair pulled back into a bun turns as you enter carrying Aguja. She quickly pulls the curtain back and gestures for you to bring him to the back. “Report!” she barks at the team, and Con Qua quickly relays the injury and how he stabilized it. “One, two, THREE” as you transfer Aguja off the makeshift stretcher and onto the Ikea bed frame turned into surgical station. Two assistants rush into the room, pulling masks on as they turn to helping Dr. Flores cut Aguja’s uniform off. Dr. Flores spares a moment to look at the rest of the team, “If you need medical attention, triage yourselves and sit down in order. We’ll save this one first.” she pulls the curtain back across the back of the room.

Every so often one of the assistants scurries out and back with some supplies, more gauze, a unit of whole blood, etc. Surprising they can get whole blood, here, but it’s probably from another fighter. Eventually Dr. Flores emerges, “He’ll be ok, good work on that chest seal, kept him going longer than it should have...now let’s take a look at you all.” She works her way down the line, disinfecting, stitching, and taking care of wounds.

Aguja’s critical injury is healed, and everyone heals 2 hit capacity from the aid.

Dr. Flores directs you down the trench and to the west for a place to get some food and rest, indicating that Aguja will be along shortly. True to her word, Aguja limps in under his own power and sits down with the team. There are other fighters eating here, but they give the team a table to themselves.

The food is MREs, not even expired MREs which is nice, and the water is lukewarm but fresh. Options include:
  • Thai Chicken with Chocolate Peanut Butter and Crackers, Fruit and Nut mix w/ M&Ms, and French Vanilla Cappuccino Drink Mix
  • Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce, Chocolate Peanut Butter with Tortillas, Recovery Trail Mix, and Irish Cream Cappuccino Drink Mix
  • Boneless Pork Chop, Peanut Butter, Pretzel Sticks, Plain M&Ms, and Cocoa Beverage Powder, Milk Chocolate
  • Beef Frankfurters, Cheddar Cheese Spread, Chipotle Tortillas, Skittles, and Orange Beverage Powder, Carbo-Electrolyte

What MRE does everyone pick? Let’s have a little moment here to collect the team’s thoughts and talk about how it’s going. This is a good chance to talk to your buddy, perhaps?

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 15, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez

With Aguja healing under the care of the resistance doctor, Guillotine Team is able to take a moment to rest and recuperate. Martinez checks out the proffered MREs with a practiced eye. With Con Qua immediately eyeing the Thai Chicken, the remaining options look slightly less appealing. But food is food, and the Boneless Pork Chop seems like it's fairly inoffensive. The Peanut Butter, Pretzel Sticks, and Plain M&Ms sides look like they'd be good to save, and the chocolate powder would be nice to warm up later if there's still a chem heater around.

After finding a rock or something and waiting for his entree to heat up, Martinez strikes up a conversation with Toque. The two talk about the sort of things that veteran NCOs tend to chat about in a chow hall: idly comparing the food options and sleeping accommodations, sharing funny stories about past officers and idiot privates, and exchanging casual theories about what the PLA must be thinking to come all the way down to this desolate corner of the world. More painful topics like how friends and family are doing back home, or what the future might bring, are generally avoided. There’s no point in dwelling on something that you can’t change. But the two buddies enjoy indulging in light banter and conversation, and feel the stress of combat begin to ease.

”Stirps Virilis”

Kaal fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 18, 2024

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Ejército del Perú

It felt good to be sitting in a lively, if sparse camp again. After a few seconds of reaching into his own pack to grab one of his remaining MREs, Al Toque decides it would be rude to turn down the offered food. He deliberates for a moment before taking a Thai Chicken pack and began heating it up. While he waited for that, he found something closely approximating a metal kettle and, filling it with water, set it near the fire to heat up for some good, nearly week old fresh ground coffee he still had in his pack.

As he passed the time chatting with Martinez, occasionally in between bites of food, he finished brewing a nearly adequate "pot" of coffee and, pouring himself a small cup, offers some to his companion before he briefly excused himself to place it up on the "chow line". All in all, it's times like these that you could almost be okay with being at war.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It hurts like hell to even just breathe, but drat it feels good to be alive. As I limp into the "chow hall" , I check out the MRE's; truthfully none of the options look too appealing. However, the Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce looks like the easiest to get down, so I grab it off the line and slowly pick away at it.

Once Con Qua sits down, I reach over and pat him on the back. I manage to rasp out: "Thanks, hermano. You saved my life back there at significant risk to your own. I won't ever forget it." My words are cut short by a bloody cough.. perhaps I should focus on resting my voice.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

16 March, 2010
Shift 4 - Restl

After spending some time eating and talking, sharing what feels like the first free minute in days, the team moves next door to a small bunker with beds inside. It’s not the ritz, but it’s good enough.

Everyone is able to rest. Everyone who needed it heals one hit and one stress. Currently only Martinez is down a single stress.

17 March, 2010
Shift 1

The predawn stillness of the camp is broken slowly, but surely. Every member of the team sleeps lightly, and just when the increase of boots-on-planks traffic reaches the point where someone is going to check on what stirred the rebels up, the bunkers curtain opens slowly. A soldier sticks his head in and flashes a light across the bunks, “Briefing in 5, we’re stepping off.” he turns to leave then adds, “Command bunker is just across from the aid station.”

The team kits out quickly but still feels the weight of a dozen eyes on them as they file into the command bunker 6 minutes later. La Gaviota smiles, “Time to prove your mettle, soldiers.” She gestures to what amounts to a sand table, featuring a large plaza with a central building, flanked by two wide streets and what looks like small commercial shops. “We’ve seen the cracks developing between the Army, stretched thin trying to push north, and the Navy tasked with both supplying the Army, and policing us.” a few soldiers jeer at that one, offering suggestions on just what dark hole the Chinese Marines tasked with keeping the peace in occupied Punta Arenas can police. La Gaviota lets them have a moment, then continues, “Leadership from both sides is coming together for what amounts to a planning conference at the field HQ at Simon Bolivar plaza. We’ve reconned the target before, and it’s well protected, but now that we have elite soldiers to show us the way, it’ll be easy, no?”

She motions the team forward, and places some markers on the sand table. “The main HQ is here, with a barracks, here. We usually see twenty or so soldiers on patrol and guard duty, in three shifts. Plus a few dozen HQ staff which are too good to hump rifles around. There’s at least two light armored vehicles with autocannons, generally on the west side of the compound, though they don’t run constantly. Their crews don’t come from the barracks, usually coming in light cars or trucks at shift change, sometimes not at all. I expect for this meeting they’ll be fully manned though. The field HQ itself we’ve never gotten a look inside, but we have spotted multiple strongpoints along each face, with light and medium machine guns in nests of sandbags. Each side is posturing, bordering on infighting, so expect a small guard team of more specialized forces from both the Navy and the Army.”

She lays this all out on the table, then places a cluster of friendly markers in a pile, “We have yourselves, plus two units of 24 which can break down into 4 or 6 person teams easily enough. Each 24 person unit has 2 light machine guns but we aren’t flush on ammo for them, one reload each. We have a limited supply of anti tank weaponry, 4 launchers across the teams with 1 reload each. We can transit to site in thin skinned civilian vehicles, but they are not suitable for combat. Lastly, we have a makeshift mortar unit, most folks don’t realize it’s just a metal tube and math. We can salvo a series of smoke or gas rounds, but it’s one and done, we know they’ll be sending a helicopter to scout the mortar as soon as it’s reported.”

She pauses a moment to let that all sink in, then addresses the group as a whole, “If we can drive a wedge between these two Chinese factions, and stress them even further, it’s our way in. We know the docks can support a lot more shipping than they’ve seen, and we’ve seen the drop off, we know it’s hurting the Army units pushing north. We need to do our part in turning the tide.” She turns to the members of the Guillotine Team, “So, you’re supposed to be the experts, what do you suggest?”

Logistically, you can step off whenever you like, travel will take an hour and you can deploy the units listed above anywhere on the edges of this map, though south, and west will be easier than north and south deployments (recon rolls). The rebel fighters are capable, but will be much more capable led by a team member.

It is clear from her conversation that CSAD efforts to stem the flow of supplies into Punta Arenas are starting to work, and the forces at the front are feeling it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez

The team takes some time to regroup. They had been pretty dinged up after the last battle, with a variety of injuries and equipment issues to deal with. However, Gaviota's resistance fighters had some actionable intelligence on an important PLA target, and it was clear that they planned to mount an attack with or without our help. A successful operation could be key to gaining the trust of the partisans, as well as striking a significant blow against the invaders. The PLAGF and PLAN are having a major planning conference at their headquarters. They are defended by a couple of APCs, several machine-gun positions, and numerous soldiers. It would be a tough nut to crack. While reviewing the information available, the team chatted about the HQ attack:

Martinez posted:

So the mortar can fire one round of smoke or CS gas? We could plan to hit the barracks area with that, and hopefully delay their reinforcements while we deal with the guards and vehicles. Now that we’ve connected with the resistance, we can also request additional equipment from them. For example Aguja wanted to grab some body armor once he could cache some of his equipment, and I’m interested in securing a carbine rifle like an M4A1. The others might want grenades, optics, or resupply. We also will want to consider such things as part of a future supply drop. I suggest each member of Guillotine Team leads a squad of 12, and focus on doing a bunch of damage. We've got 4x LMGs and 8x LAWs (they're disposable single-shot) so we could have one machine gunner and one grenadier in each squad.

Toque posted:

I'm kind of thinking something like this. It feels a bit of a risk to put the LMGs in one spot, but it makes a good fortified location and putting two of the launchers there will probably be good for defense against armored vehicles. I figure Martinez is a good sniper, and would be good calling the shots there, directing fire and finding targets. Aguja in the NW building with maybe another group of soldiers and a launcher would probably be appropriate. Maybe split one LMG unit off and put it with Aguja for suppressing fire. Then I reckon Con Qua and Al Toque maybe starting at that side street to the West with the rest of the soldiers, make an assault after we've made the air a bit more inclusive of minerals and metals? What's the likelihood we could tactically acquire one of those vehicles? I think it makes sense to do the LMGs, or at least some of them, in those fortified buildings to the West, with a Launcher or two over there. I also think putting somebody to provide sniper cover makes sense, for an assault anyway. But, if we want to try to make an infiltration, that changes the priorities of the mission, which likely changes the layout.

Con Qua posted:

Maybe we wait for them to have their stupid meeting like normal, and then when they get in the jeeps to leave… thats when you use the launchers on the jeeps and just mangle em. Then we just make our escape, and not even engage any response. I have explosives. What if I get a hold of a Chinese uniform and walk in with a ruck of plastic explosive and accidentally leave it behind in the HQ hallway and walk away? Whatever we do, I love the idea of only killing the naval officers for extra chaos.

Aguja posted:

Let's not get too scope creeped. It's pretty clear Gaviota's trying to twist our arms into helping them, by trying to challenge us into "proving" ourselves. Seems ballsy to straight up waltz in and start shooting up some PLA before we make contact with command and read the lay of the land, but now we'll lose face if we refuse to help. We can also maybe try to preferentially try to target only one of the factions, to stoke up the tensions between them. Probably the Navy, as they're the one's actually facilitating the supply transfer. So, I think we use sniper fire to assassinate all of the PLA Navy guys, use the AT weapons to deal with those light armor cars, and the MG teams and non-precision weapons to suppress the enemy's bunkers and pillboxes and checkpoints and poo poo, and then run away.

A rough consensus reached, Guillotine Team chats with Gaviota and present their plan. The light infantry platoon (sección de tiradores*) is inexperienced, but could become a potent force if well-led. They can be divided into squads (grupos) and fireteams (equipos). While Golf Platoon will remain under Gaviota's operational command, the Guillotine team members will act as squad leaders (jefes) for Alpha, Charlie, Tango, and Mike Squads: Each consisting of ten light infantry armed with rifles, one light machinegunner (LMG), and one grenadier with a carbine and a pair of light anti-tank weapons (LAWs). There is also a nearby mortar section available by radio that can either suppress with tear gas or conceal a maneuver with smoke. Infiltrating the headquarters seems too risky, so the plan is to sneak into the buildings on the western end of the compound, quietly eliminate any guards, and then wait for the conference to end. Once the officers begin exiting the HQ to return to their vehicles in the motor pool (T3), Guillotine Team will open fire on the PLA officers - targeting the naval members when possible to attempt to drive a wedge between them and the army. Meanwhile the resistance squads will direct their fire towards the APCs (T1 and T2), as well as enemy strongpoints outside the HQ (T4), and within the Plaza (T5). We expect enemy reinforcements to come from the Barracks (T6). As the attack develops we can decide whether to press the assault or signal a withdrawal to the west.

As the platoon prepares themselves for combat, they can elect to leave behind their multi-day backpacks and/or excess equipment at camp. This will improve soldier mobility at the cost of carrying capacity. However, given that it will be a major battle the team is advised to contact the resistance quartermaster and stock up, if possible. While their stores are limited, basic equipment or resupply such as food, water, ammunition, or medical kits may be available. Martinez requests to exchange his purloined QBZ-95 Assault Rifle for an M4A1 Carbine, one of the standard rifles of the Comandos Anfibios, as well as several magazines of 5.56x45 ammunition. While his trusty M40A5 sniper rifle is generally his weapon of choice, he'll need a carbine for close quarters battle while clearing the western buildings or potentially entering the headquarters. Fortunately he should be able to carry both if he leaves his night vision equipment and extra rifle ammo in his pack.

*These are functional equivalents to the US military battle order. The direct translations would be section, group, team, and chief. By tradition, South American militaries typically don't use the terms platoon (pelotón) or squad (escuadra), and organize things in their own way.

”Stirps Virilis”

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 25, 2024

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

17 March, 2010
Shift 2l

With more efficiency than you expected, the teams are split, LMGs and West German Crossbows are loaded into duffel bags, and the whole entourage piles into a handful of beat up SUVs and minibusses for the trip. You are all dropped off a fair distance away, and squads hike in the last half mile on foot. Chinese patrols are non-existent, and the few civilians you see quickly shut their doors like in an old Western. One of the resistance fighters remarks, “Most of the Chinese patrols we see are closer to the harbors, the slums in the south, and their anti-aircraft sites.”

Approaching the line of buildings to be infiltrated, it’s clear they’re vacant. Shell holes from artillery has done a number on the streets, vehicles, and roofs. The Chinese didn’t take this site without a fight in their sweep into Punta Arenas.

On the infiltration Aguja exacerbates his chest wound trying to keep up with everyone else, noticing a slight bit of spotting through his bandages. Pushed the Recon Roll to infiltrate, 1 damage. Everyone else slowly, quietly, and deliberately guides their teams into their respective buildings. La Gaviota takes a spot near Al Toque. Light Machine Gunners clear off tables and dressers to post their bipods on, and the Crossbowmen ensure they have good lines of sight on the APCs.

Below, the two APCs idle as their turned-out crews converse in low tones. Several three-man patrols wander the Plaza and around the main building. A couple Chinese Sailors lean on the front of their transport vehicles looking at small electronic devices. A few guards stand near the main doorway, eyes scanning, taking things a little more seriously than the rest. Every now and then movement is visible in the barracks.

Waiting is often the hardest part of a battle. When the squads arrived there was work to do, to silently infiltrate, to set up the ambush, to hide. Now, there is nothing else to do but wait. The resistance fighters have it worse, they grow bored rapidly, and the Guillotine Team members have to cut conversations short and remind the fighters to stay quiet and stay down. Several hours crawl by on the clock when Al Toque spots movement at the front door. Several Naval Officers with a small armed escort walk down the front stairs.

One of the men in Con Qua’s squad, hyped up by the boredom of waiting, overzealously rattles off a three round burst that flies wildly over the heads of the group of officers. The stillness of the early afternoon is broken and for a moment nothing happens...One of the fighters mutters, “Mierda”...then all hell breaks loose.

The West German Armbrust, or Crossow, is a recoiless weapon that fires a 67mm antitank round. The recoil of the projectile firing out of the front of the barrel is negated by an equal mass of frangible plastic being ejected from the other end. It’s back-blast safe, but it still makes a hell of a noise as the rebel fighters rain on the Chinese Parade.

The first rocket slams into the southern APC, sending a gout of flame, and the bodies of the gunner and commander into the air in a move that would be comical if it wasn’t so serious. They tumble to the ground, burning and rolling around trying fruitlessly to smother the flames. In quick succession the other shooter loses his rocket, but it sails over the APC even at this range and harmlessly impacts another vacant building. The first shooter in Al Toque’s building lines up, takes a breath and puts his rocket right into the rear of the vehicle. The APC engine sputters to a stop as pieces of it are thrown from their housing in all directions. 3 Armbrusts fired, 1 APC inoperable with half it’s crew killed

On the north side of the fight, It also takes three rockets to render the APC an expensive pile of scrap on fire. It’s crew is able to bail out, however, and take cover behind the smoking hulk.

The light machine guns open up, but two jam rapidly after opening fire, and the other puts a large burst harmlessly into the facade of the main building. The final burst, seventeen rounds lands home amongst the Chinese officers, killing one and forcing the others to scramble for cover.

Aguja and the rest of his squad focus on the patrol and machine gun nests in the main building. Aguja himself takes aim on a Chinese machine gunner and hits him with a concentrated burst which slumps him over his machine gun, dead. The rebel fighters open up with mixed amounts of discipline but together, firing from windows and around the half collapsed building they drop the nearest Chinese patrol.

Con Qua and his element eliminate the machine gunner on the southwest quadrant, as well as rake fire across the Chinese Drivers, killing them and peppering the light jeep-type vehicles with gunfire.

Al Toque manages to pick off another Naval Officer, while the rebels under his command kill the last crewman from the APC. They let the commander burn, but his torment ends soon enough on its own. La Gaviota squeezes off a single round, hitting another machine gunner in the building window.

Lastly, Martinez eliminates another Naval Officer, while his rebels suppress and kill one from a patrol in the plaza, and kill another in the second plaza patrol.

Enemy Round
While they were taken by surprise, the Chinese aren’t going down without a fight. The southern patrol scrambles into the brush of the plaza and puts accurate fire onto Martinez’s group, killing one of the Crossbow launchers with a shot to the head.

A group of five soldiers race out of the Barracks and get into cover on the northeast side of the plaza. The protective detail hurls a smoke grenade, creating a screen just south of the vehicles, and bounds forward, shooting and suppressing one of Con Qua’s units.

The door guards fall back into the building. Shortly thereafter an air-raid siren blares and booms across the plaza over the din of the firefight that has erupted.

The crew that bailed out of the northern APC fire around it, trying to ding the shooter who killed their vehicle, but it’s no use and their shots miss. The northern-most patrol rushes west and also fires off a series of shots, killing one and suppressing three in Aguja’s building.

I know it’s not the greatest resolution, but I can zoom in for detail-related questions.

Declare actions for you and your rebel squads.

Statlines
Con Qua | 5/5 | 6/6 | 15/30 (9) |
Al Toque | 5/5 | 5/5 | 27/50 (3) |
Aguja | 3/4 | 6/6 | 15/30 (4) |
Martinez | 6/6 | 3/4 | 16/30 (3) |

SS-Kumei
Sep 1, 2012

Ejército del Perú

The opening seconds of the surprise assault have passed, smoke already billows from the armored vehicles and many men dead and wounded. Dante motions for one small group to watch a group of three soldiers, and another small group to watch a group of two soldiers, and motions for the rest of the soldiers to back out of the building and find a place to cover the rest of his squad moving out later.

Al Toque and a couple soldiers will take up overwatch on the northern hex of three soldiers, and a couple other soldiers will take overwatch of the southern hex of two soldiers. The rest of the soldiers under his direction will move as far as they can to take up covering positions in preparation for the next turn.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

SM Luis Marcelo Martinez

Mike Squad has taken one casualty, but is still in the fight. Martinez has a good vantage point from his spot in the building, and can observe the course of the battle. The primary targets have mostly been eliminated, though there's one officer left. Alpha and Charlie Squads are taking a lot of fire, and a number of them are suppressed. The PLA are advancing in the north, while trying to regroup in the south. With the alarm klaxon sounding, we'll want to pull out soon before we attract the attention of more patrols from the barracks - or an enemy helicopter.

With Tango Squad covering the Plaza and beginning to peel back by fireteam, Martinez directs his squad to lay down a base of fire against the protective bodyguard detail near the motor pool (T3). They've popped smoke to conceal their position against Charlie Squad, but Mike still has a clear view of them and they should be able to have a good effect. Lt. Con Qua squawks over the radio that he intends to fire off his squad's last LAW and try to finish off the Chinese naval leaders before withdrawing to the vehicular rally point. Before he does, Martinez takes a quick aim with his sniper rifle on the last remaining PLAN officer outside the HQ (T4) and squeezes off a shot.

”Stirps Virilis”

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I shake my head and mutter something under my breath about the brash rebels I'm fighting alongside, and take in the scene before me. I think we've done what we need to do. I tell half of my squad to start falling back and prepare to cover the rest of us as we exfil, and tell the remaining rebels to focus fire on the three PLA soldiers behind the NW corner of the building.

I focus my fire on one of the PLA in the machine gun nests and let out a 6 round burst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

17 March, 2010
Shift 2

Most of Al Toque’s squad begins moving back the way they came, leaving the light machine gunner and a few others, including one remaining crossbow to overwatch the enemy positions in the plaza.

Martinez lines up and squeezes a shot with his rifle off at the lone Naval officer, but it flies wide. The smoke is making things harder to see from his angle. Meanwhile members of his squad fail to land hits directly on the bodyguards near the motor pool, but they force them to hit the deck, suppressed. Other shooters try to hit the bodyguards, but they’ve dropped into relatively hard cover and the shots don’t find their marks.

Aguja sends half his squad squirting out the building to the west, then lines his own shots up on the machine gun nest, waiting for an opportunity to strike. The two nests you can see are manned by dead men, so I overwatched you in case someone comes up to replace them. His machine gunner lays down a long burst at the troops behind the smoldering APC, suppressing them and forcing them to stay where they are.

Bolstered by the momentum of the fight, and full of more enthusiasm than capability, three fighters in Agujas squad rattle off wildly ineffective burst of fire at the squad moving in from the northeast. Lastly, the fireteam that was suppressed picks themselves up off the floor and moves to get back into the fight, slightly sheepishly.

Statlines
Con Qua | 5/5 | 6/6 | 15/30 (9) |
Al Toque | 5/5 | 5/5 | 27/50 (3) |
Aguja | 3/4 | 6/6 | 15/30 (4) |
Martinez | 6/6 | 3/4 | 16/30 (3) |

Note for Aguja's squad in the future...