Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Stankonia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

bucksmash posted:

I was lucky that I had older brothers and sisters that bought a lot of great albums, but this was the very first CD I purchased with my own money and it was worth every penny

Hell yeah. It's all kind of a blur which CDs I bought myself and which were gifts from parents, but this was one of my first, along with Dig Your Own Hole and Hello Nasty and The Presidents of the United States of America.

A story I've told before about that Prodigy album: A couple of years ago I was briefly working security at a record store - it was when COVID regulations were relaxing so 'security' consisted of keeping the place under capacity and getting people to sanitize their hands. This woman and her toddler came into the place one day, kid was just about old enough that she was trying to get him to interact with other people. So she nudges him over and says "ask the man" and the kid meekly goes "d-do you have The Fat of the Land by the Prodigy?" I cried a little. The kids are all right.

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
TLC: Crazy Sexy Cool :c00l:

Sam I Am
Aug 6, 2004

You're a lucky, lucky boy 'cause you know why? You get to drink from, the fire hose!
Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi on cassette tape

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

hell yeah

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Tim McGraw not a moment too soon

lol

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Dr Bombay - Rice and Curry :downs: I had a pretty weird taste in music as a kid but at least my second album was Michael Jackson's History.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

:rock:

Vinnie Vincent Invasion. I already had the good stuff on cassettes so this was my first CD.

It came in those tall boxes they had so that they could fit CDs on Vinyl store shelving. Surprisingly hard to find pictures of those.

e: these things

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 12, 2024

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Weird Al - Bad Hair Day lol

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
lmao

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
In the late 80s and early 90s I had a DJ friend in the city who subscribed to Melody Maker magazine and let me read the new issues whenever I was in town. A very nice window for discovering genres and acts that didn't play on the radio. My friend mostly bought popular or what would become popular dance music by catalog order from the UK and that was great but since that stuff would eventually play on radio or on MTV all the time I didn't bother buying copies. I mostly collected vinyl back then of less popular acts but my first CD was this one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I think my first cd that I owned was Everclear - Sparkle and Fade. I didn't even buy it, my dad was working at the auto wrecker yard at the time and he found it in a wrecked car's cd player

I think the first CD I paid for was Bush - Sixteen Stone

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
My mom's rich boss bought me Soundgarden - Superunknown and one other cd I can't recall but I think it was also grunge, not even sure how he knew I was into grunge

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
First that was MINE because I bought it

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I may have had some that were purchased for me or for my brother and I or something, but the first one I went to the store and purchased myself was Temple Of The Dog. I felt so drat cool.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
The Presidents of the USA - II which is still really good. I had taped their live set from Mount Rushmore that was on MTV and watched it constantly. Now I'm loving bald too and I never ended up marrying Kennedy.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i don't actually remember what may first CDs were, maybe green day or nirvana? also borrowed a bunch of 60s rock like hendrix, the doors, etc. from my dad's collection when i got my first CD player.

the first music products i remember buying (or getting my parents to buy) were weird al cassette tapes and i listened to them exclusively in the car with my family

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Lol I came here to post this. Still have it around somewhere scratched to all hell

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I honestly don't remember. I bought Weezer The Blue Album. But I know I owned cds before it. Do video games from a magazine count? Or AOL CDS?

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Music from and Inspired by Mission: Impossible 2.

Must have listened to it a lot cause I can hear half the songs in my head some 20+ years later without looking the track list up.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cyks posted:

Music from and Inspired by Mission: Impossible 2.

Must have listened to it a lot cause I can hear half the songs in my head some 20+ years later without looking the track list up.

links or it didn't happen. I just want to hear them

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

links or it didn't happen. I just want to hear them

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLy1F0NPv5goPKKCHQqFwfEdzSRa6Emc4&si=4XUHyxdh93gINo85

Looks to be in the right order.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Hoobastank’s debut album and proud of it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

which one am I supposed to listen to?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Nirvana - Incesticide

My dad was into high end component audio at the time and hearing the opening riff of “Dive” come out of those big rear end speakers was :aaaaa:

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

maybeadracula posted:

First that was MINE because I bought it

hell yeah really good one

some day mother will die and i'll get moooooneeyyyyy

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Help! by the Beatles was the first CD I bought because I was a boring child.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Fat of the land - The Prodigy, age 8, 1998

SMACK MY BITCH UP! CHANGE MY PITCH UP!

Defined my entire music taste. I remember staying up late with my mom and dad to watch the uncensored smack my bitch up video age 8. drat did I have cool parents.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Weird Al - Running with Scissors

I maintain Weird Al is a great way for kids to encounter a lot of different styles of music but with lyrics about food that they can relate to more.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Caesar Saladin posted:

Weird Al - Running with Scissors

I maintain Weird Al is a great way for kids to encounter a lot of different styles of music but with lyrics about food that they can relate to more.

Weird Al doesn't have "explicit lyrics" but I definitely knew and repeated the following line before I realized what it actually meant:

But I'm stranded all alone
In the gas station of love
And I have to use the self service pumps

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
CD players were still pretty uncommon back in the day but my family had a stereo system that had a player. I was pretty young and the Columbia Records music scam was real popular.
You know, buy 10 CDs for 1 penny! Or whatever.

The pamphlet thing had a list of a whole bunch of albums on it, and then my mom told me I could pick one for myself!
I read through and saw one that said Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and I was a very young and still very devout christian little boy. So I picked that one because it had "Sex" in the title, and that was still a naughty word as far as I was concerned.

Turns out it was a pretty good album!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Parents got me Spice Girls cd. They got my brother Savage Garden wtf?
First I bought for myself was Greenday - Nimrod

Inkdaub
Jun 16, 2020
It would have been the Immortal Beloved soundtrack or that one Offspring record. Whichever one was rung up first wins I guess.
That was a long time ago.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Hot Shot by Shaggy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wasn't my first, but I did have the one where they had all the Television songs. I knew them all and it had a donut stain under the jewel case

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Hot Shot by Shaggy

What kind of laptop does lil swamp booger baby have?

An "I b.m. stinkpad."

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

bucksmash posted:

I was lucky that I had older brothers and sisters that bought a lot of great albums, but this was the very first CD I purchased with my own money and it was worth every penny

someone's first time hearing Smack My Bitch Up is a rather magical moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

cumpantry posted:

someone's first time hearing Smack My Bitch Up is a rather magical moment

I liked Fire starter better