Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Alice in Chains - Dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
STOP 🛑

hammer time! 🔨

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

maybeadracula posted:

First that was MINE because I bought it

Flood was my first. Apollo 18 was probably my third or fourth though

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm the fire starter punky litigator

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

central dogma posted:

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Ah now we are getting closer to the first time I bought an album. My cousin bought Blackalicious same day I bought my first Alice In Chains album. We traded

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I remember having some Simpsons cassette tapes as a very young kid. One of them had Do The Bartman as well as Mr Burns singing a song about being 'surrounded by idiots'.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The first actual CD player that was personally mine? The Aladdin soundtrack, because I was 8 when my parents bought me my a portable CD player. Which apparently cost $900 in todays dollars. For an 8 year old.

The first album I actually personally selected and was not chosen for me, Jagged Little Pill, in a Las Vegas Blockbuster. I had significantly matured enough by age 11 that my mother did not seem concerned that I was listening to a song about Alanis Morissette singing about giving Dave Coulier a blowjob in a public space.

In hindsight I'm beginning to learn that my parents didn't always make what would be generally viewed as prudent decisions about my childhood.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Mister Speaker posted:

I remember having some Simpsons cassette tapes as a very young kid. One of them had Do The Bartman as well as Mr Burns singing a song about being 'surrounded by idiots'.

that was that one

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Junk posted:

that was that one

cassette tapes are only for old people. Mr. Smithers, execute him

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Roleplaying Dad posted:

TLC: Crazy Sexy Cool :c00l:

Hell yeah, same here. Bought it along with my first stereo in 5th grade. But I had to listen to it with headphones because my dad didn't want to hear my "Rap Tapes."

Listened to it for the first time in forever the other day and its still a great album. Completely forgot that Andre 3000 & Busta Rhymes show up on it.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
When I got my heavy as gently caress Pioneer CD changer in '86, I broke it in with Judas Priest's Turbo and AC/DC's Who Made Who, which were new releases at the time. (That Pioneer CD player worked for 25 years. Why don't new electronics have that kind of build quality?)

If we're talking first music album that I bought myself, regardless of format, I think it was Def Leppard's Pyromania. My first 45 was Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Number_6 posted:

When I got my heavy as gently caress Pioneer CD changer in '86, I broke it in with Judas Priest's Turbo and AC/DC's Who Made Who, which were new releases at the time. (That Pioneer CD player worked for 25 years. Why don't new electronics have that kind of build quality?)

If we're talking first music album that I bought myself, regardless of format, I think it was Def Leppard's Pyromania. My first 45 was Queen's Another One Bites the Dust.

who cares? Were're talking about the first CD you owned?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i wasn’t cool enough to own the green jellö version because i was a child

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Dick Fontaine posted:

It was Green Jellow when I had it

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

The one they call Dr. Feelgood.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

SIDS Vicious posted:

my brother bought me the space jam soundtrack because my dog had to get put down

I think you got the order backwards??

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Sex Farm posted:

I think you got the order backwards??

his dog bought a space jam sound soundtrack when his brother got put down?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Oh hell yes

Mister Speaker posted:

Yes sir!

https://youtu.be/O1MqzjqF8mg?si=CQ7tIXdGPHQLDSpA

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Will Smith- Big Willie Style.

I am a Willennial.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

his dog bought a space jam sound soundtrack when his brother got put down?

His dog had to be put down so the Space Jam soundtrack bought him a brother

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Ambassadors Of Funk Featuring M.C. Mario – Super Mario Land

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chrs posted:

Ambassadors Of Funk Featuring M.C. Mario – Super Mario Land

loving nerd!
I can still hear it

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Boyz II Men - II

Why a 6-year-old fat white kid was so into this, I don't know

But the record still slaps

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Robert Miles - Dreamland

Children is such a banger

GoutPatrol posted:

Boyz II Men - II

Why a 6-year-old fat white kid was so into this, I don't know

But the record still slaps

One of the best R&B albums ever. Every song is :kiss:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

The Fattest PI posted:

CD players were still pretty uncommon back in the day but my family had a stereo system that had a player. I was pretty young and the Columbia Records music scam was real popular.
You know, buy 10 CDs for 1 penny! Or whatever.

The pamphlet thing had a list of a whole bunch of albums on it, and then my mom told me I could pick one for myself!
I read through and saw one that said Blood Sugar Sex Magic, and I was a very young and still very devout christian little boy. So I picked that one because it had "Sex" in the title, and that was still a naughty word as far as I was concerned.

Turns out it was a pretty good album!

I got the six for a penny from BMG Music Club and I got the Woodstock ‘94 album (counted as 2) and Tom Petty’s Wildflowers and three other classic rock albums I don’t remember off hand.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ace of Base - Happy Nation, along with a bunch of other CDs my brother passed down to me. The first bought CD for me was Ride the Lightning.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Dick Fontaine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ChFnFJLg4

HorseMorsel
Sep 8, 2023
Fatboy Slim - You've Come a Long Way, Baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4dP1G4kXs

I dunno. I still like most of this album.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The Jurassic Park soundtrack, I think.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Had pretty bad taste as a kid, hell I still do
First cd

Second cd

My 3rd CD was Dark Side of the Moon

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Underwhelmed posted:

Flood was my first. Apollo 18 was probably my third or fourth though

Weird thing: when I was a kid, the only tmbg album you could buy at the Walmart in the tiny town I grew up in was, for some reason, Severe Tire Damage. I loved it and was so excited when the Internet happened and I could get more tmbg. But wow my first time listening to their pre-band studio stuff was like a splash of cold water lol. Quite a different vibe. Still my favorite band

Edit: I think the first cd I bought for myself was the first Lord of the Rings soundtrack. Most of my music was mix CDs from friends with parents who could afford DSL Internet that didn't tie up the phone line

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 12, 2024

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm0j33oxav4

I played the HELL ouf of that thing

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wifi Toilet posted:

:rock:

Vinnie Vincent Invasion. I already had the good stuff on cassettes so this was my first CD.

It came in those tall boxes they had so that they could fit CDs on Vinyl store shelving. Surprisingly hard to find pictures of those.

e: these things

Hell yeah fellow old person. I was so jealous of my friend because he was one of the first to get a CD player, and he'd keep the long CD boxes on his walls, and he had like a dozen CD's already and I was blown away. It was a 5 CD changer too, I can't imagine how expensive it was back then.

I can't for the life of me remember what was my first CD. Would have been circa 1990 -1991 I guess, so maybe some Grunge.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
A college friend had the ELO Time LP, which I played so many times on his stereo he complained I was wearing out his needle. So of course that was the first.

bucksmash posted:

I was lucky that I had older brothers and sisters that bought a lot of great albums, but this was the very first CD I purchased with my own money and it was worth every penny

I randomly had Fat of the Land in my computer the first time I played Quake. I was AMAZED at how great the game's soundtrack was. Even after figuring out my mistake, I kept going back to this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

jimmy mnemonic posted:

Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm0j33oxav4

I played the HELL ouf of that thing

Oh cool, I just realized where the air guitar part from American Dad where Snot gets Steve back is from.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

RadiRoot posted:

STOP 🛑

hammer time! 🔨

this was the first music i owned but it was on cassette tape

the first music i bought on my own was a CD though

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

My first CDs were just replacements for some of my favorite albums I had on cassette. I think the first ones I bought were Music for the Masses and Disintegration.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mirage posted:

I randomly had Fat of the Land in my computer the first time I played Quake. I was AMAZED at how great the game's soundtrack was. Even after figuring out my mistake, I kept going back to this.

Didn't Trent Reznor do the actual Quale 1 soundtrack?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Smugworth posted:

Didn't Trent Reznor do the actual Quale 1 soundtrack?

He did it under Nine Inch Nails. The ammo boxes even had the NIN logo on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
ahahahaha gently caress me

90s evangelicalism :unsmigghh: