Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Good lord was any troubleshooting done? The computer shop do anything?

This seems like just a RAM issue. Reseat the duckers. Try with one stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
So, thanks to you, they replaced an old motherboard with another old motherboard that either has the same issues or it's still bad ram / cpu / PSU. Take it back for warranty and have them work more on it. Do you have the original board? It's old enough it may just need new capacitors. This is super easy to test for if they have spare parts. Expect it to take a few days, else they're not really testing well.

The clerk was 100% right on everything (power strip thing is odd but it's not a bad idea. PSU is more likely but it gets you paying attention to your outlets at least). Computers love sipping and then immediately guzzling power. They sound like they know what they're doing. Especially by not mentioning the refurb board. That means they're smart!

If I were them I would want to know a jobs not done and a pc is still rebooting. They should have a refund policy if they can't fix.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 3, 2024

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I missed where it went from power cycling to fully dead. I saw you mentioned it kinda, when he was doing windows stuff. drat, because this really still seemed like caps, RAM, or CPU

So now the old board does not power on at all? It's not just "trying" over and over again?

And let's be suuuuuper clear: is the machine powering off and then powering itself on again? Or is it powering off and then youre pushing the button each time? They mean drastically different things and I think I was misreading stuff sorry

There are always varying levels of what a tech can know. He knows a LOT but there were some noob things he did and I suspect he's not super passionate about it or it's a poo poo job who knows. There are a lot of basic things you do when a board is resetting and who knows if they did any of them. Also... the battery has zero effect on the power on cycle. Unless it's over voltage, the cmos will simply be rewritten. The bios rom itself is suspect even, Intel me could be hosed. Did anyone pull out a multimeter to test poo poo live? We're there microscopes and soldering tools? Any data recovery going on?

If so, it's probably a good shop and troubleshooting this is probably just a thing he's not the best at, but quite good overall I'd say. Goons are so dismissive of other peoples brains. I think it's a good clerk if not a great shop. He's got the right idea though I wish he had more experience.

If there were no advanced tools there though look elsewhere next time.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
10 Home or Pro keys are $15 in SA mart.

Spinning media storage takes quite an impressive amount of power when it's spinning up in fact, but yeah it's a trickle by comparison during normal operation.

Yeah it's an upsell. Good thing to be up sold on at least! The business is tough but poo poo is allllllllllways breaking.

There are shops that do fine with less, but having access and knowledge of electronics would have saved you a LOT of time and money. If a board is looping, it's trying but hitting a wall, you remove the wall when you repair the board. Either by replacing the capacitors (my guess) or the ram sockets/ram (my first guess). Or look for bends in traces near clamps.

Electronics fail completely, not "kinda" unless there are physical issues like caps/bad memory pathway

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Selling the old stuff is a great idea like he suggested. Ebay is fine. Bonus if they take care of it, it's easy as hell to track and send payouts to customers, they can make a profit from it.

A cheap am4+ board and CPU should be fine, you just have to wait longer for them to be shipped in. The AM5 they have in store are also obviously great so that's up to you.

To save money, the usual recommendation is a 5600 or 5600x with an asrock or asus board. B550 or B450. To splurge a bit, 7600x/7700x + B650.

To find if a shop is well equipped ask them if they would recap a board, and if they have a standard fee or hourly, tell them you have your own caps or see if they have recommendations. Note that my recommendation for this is to run screaming from this system and get amd, it's just fantastic value used

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
The capacitors on the used board are just as old as the ones on your original board. Just putting that out there. Also the other things I keep saying, ram, traces, cpu, bios me region, uhhhhh PSU cables can have bad crimps..... I forget what else, it's a big ol thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh btw I keep mentioning caps because inconsistent power-on behavior is sometimes/often because a power supply *on the motherboard itself* is failing to come up or stabilize in time, so the PCH or chipset tries again.