Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Torquemada posted:

It's unlikely to be atrocious bullshit.

Oh, I don’t know about that; did you ever see “Flight Plan”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

sex excellence posted:

it's hamhanded as hell. there's nothing to get. the allusions you're talking about are weak imo. it was a mistake to bring on that author. the sub-narratives are BAD.
eh maybe. i also just enjoy that there is a critical reappraisal of s2 as good its kind of funny. Colin Farrell as an intensely divorced man is funny. vince as a terrible mob boss is rad. i like how rachel mcadams vapes and does cool knife attacks.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
this is my least favorite post

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

kntfkr posted:

this is my least favorite post

hahaha that made me laugh out loud

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The song selection from T. Bone Burnett was sick as hell on season 1

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Agent Starling really must have gotten railroaded badly to get kicked out of the agency and went into policing in Alaska for letting Hannibal Lecter go so many times.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Aww wait, you don't get the whole season at once? What bullshiiiiiiit

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

something i like about the new season from the start. having a TD season set where it's always night time is wonderful.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Lampsacus posted:

eh maybe. i also just enjoy that there is a critical reappraisal of s2 as good its kind of funny. Colin Farrell as an intensely divorced man is funny. vince as a terrible mob boss is rad. i like how rachel mcadams vapes and does cool knife attacks.

hell yeah!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The zombie doing the interpretive dance was kinda funny but overall I liked that episode

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Season 2 is worth watching just to see Colin Farrell deal with his fat ginger failson who wants to watch Friends. Taylor Kitsch's character was lame though, just be gay and have fun!

Season 3 had good performances but the central mystery was pretty dull.

Season 4 is promising so far, likeable characters and the Thing references aplenty.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

So like were scientists watching that Ferris Bueller scene on repeat or something?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Smugworth posted:

From the dusty mesa
Her looming shadow grows
Hidden in the branches
Of the poison creosote

For the entire airing of season 1 I thought the last line was "Poisoned Creole Soul" because of the setting. It wasn't until I looked the song up again afterwards because it's so great that I learned my mistake.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."
Things I liked:
[soiler]
Intro music by Sam Smith
Alcoholic stripper
Ferris Bueller

Didn't like:
Chromatic distortion filter giving everything the shimmering rainbow effect
Jodie Foster shower scene was gratuitous
[/spoiler]

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Was a decent season opener. Dark alaska is a neat setting

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

LaserPrinter69 posted:

Things I liked:
[soiler]
Intro music by Sam Smith
Alcoholic stripper
Ferris Bueller

Didn't like:
Chromatic distortion filter giving everything the shimmering rainbow effect
Jodie Foster shower scene was gratuitous
[/spoiler]

The scene where Jodie Foster is told "you really are a true detective" was a bit egregious.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Torquemada posted:

If season one didn't exist, two and three would be pretty well regarded, I assume four will be in the same ballpark. It's unlikely to be atrocious bullshit.

Yeah I'm not down with this historical revisionism. It's writer admitted it sucked. Even HBO's executives admitted a few months after it came out that True Detective season 2 was bad.

It's ok to like season 2 but that doesn't mean it's quality wasn't low.

So far that was a good episode. Though I wish it had 8 episodes if we're gonna do a slow burn through characters backstories. I'm enjoying that vague supernatural from season 1 is back.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Season 2 just really failed to hit the hardboiled/pulpy dime detective thing it was going for. I can appreciate the effort, but it just didn't work very well.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

4 seasons? that's a whole rear end year, come on

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Season 2 just really failed to hit the hardboiled/pulpy dime detective thing it was going for. I can appreciate the effort, but it just didn't work very well.

This sums it up perfectly.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Does Season 2 open with Rachel McAdams's character just having had anal sex?

One of the first lines spoken after she appears is the guy she was loving saying "most girls aren't into that kind of thing" or something like that.

Anyway, strong opener.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i could write a better season of true detective than this and guess what? I'M GONNA

It takes place at the Jersey Shore. The detectives are Danny Devito and this hot girl i met at drug camp who said she's an actress. The theme song is TBD!!!!

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I really enjoyed this, I like the mystery and am enjoying trying to figure it out in my head. First thought is that there is a Cyclonopedia kind of thing going on where mining or climate change unleashed an ancient deity

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

season 1 being good doesnt make season 2 good if season 1 didnt exist

season 2 was honestly worse than not watching TV, which is why i watched the first few episodes of that season then stopped

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
many L takes about s2 itt.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

sex excellence posted:

it's hamhanded as hell. there's nothing to get. the allusions you're talking about are weak imo. it was a mistake to bring on that author. the sub-narratives are BAD.
Just revisiting this, replying to a post I made pre premiere of s04e01, as I did mention poisoned water as a running allusion, and... Like, I'm pretty sure this motif continues in this season? It actually appears to be a prominent plot point! Whether the subnarratives are BAD or GOOD is subjective but I happen to like them, and I definitely wouldn't call them weak! Fans of William Burroughs, Mike S. Judge, friggin Ballard might like S2 on a rewatch? I don't know. It does get a little under the silver lake. I think Reza Negarestani's book was mentioned up thread but yeah. S2 underrated by far! And I'm holding out for the reappraisal of s3 in four to five years : p

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

S2 sucks stop trying to convince people of your bad taste in TV

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
S4 will be worse than S2 mark my words

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I don't care for facial piercings

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

hardest dude bust on TV?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I'm the lone star beer everyone is drinking... in alaska.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Only 34.99 for a sixer of it in Alaska. It's so good it's worth it though

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

SPACE HOMOS posted:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

I don't care for facial piercings

you'd think metal on your face in sub zero climates wouldn't be practical but issa lopez doesn't have time to think about such things. there's a mexican magical realism conference next to the awards factory

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm the single memorable line of dialogue in the whole script being a meta reference to jodie foster, the person

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

How old was that kid that is young enough he could only babble but old enough he could also draw a coherent picture of a human figure and is also young enough that you can get a handjob from your girlfriend in front of him and not traumatize anyone?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Cacator posted:

Season 2 is worth watching just to see Colin Farrell deal with his fat ginger failson who wants to watch Friends. Taylor Kitsch's character was lame though, just be gay and have fun!

Season 3 had good performances but the central mystery was pretty dull.

Season 4 is promising so far, likeable characters and the Thing references aplenty.

So Season 4 is the current one? I could of swore the commercials said "Now Streaming SEASON 5!!! ONLY ON MAX OR HBO+ OR WHATEVER"

If so, I wanna watch. I like Jodie Foster, and I like the show mostly. I don't think I've seen 3, what was the theme in that one?

2 did have that one continuous take shootout, that was pretty cool. And Collin Farrel beating the poo poo out of the bully's dad, or something.

Season 1 was loving awesome.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Don't forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N05C5SThDuA

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

The Bramble posted:

How old was that kid that is young enough he could only babble but old enough he could also draw a coherent picture of a human figure and is also young enough that you can get a handjob from your girlfriend in front of him and not traumatize anyone?

Such things are of no concern to Issa Lopez, queen of screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

blight rhino posted:

So Season 4 is the current one? I could of swore the commercials said "Now Streaming SEASON 5!!! ONLY ON MAX OR HBO+ OR WHATEVER"

If so, I wanna watch. I like Jodie Foster, and I like the show mostly. I don't think I've seen 3, what was the theme in that one?

2 did have that one continuous take shootout, that was pretty cool. And Collin Farrel beating the poo poo out of the bully's dad, or something.

Season 1 was loving awesome.

This is the correct assessment of season 2.

This season is going to be a total loving waste of Jodie Foster.