Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Why didn’t the mega corp just buy the town some Brita filters?

Shareholders wouldn't like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Raymond Clark really screwed this town up.

The original plan was to dig up the black goo from Prometheus in the ice and make cures for everything like heavy metal and hydrocarbon poisoning.

They discovered they could get a lot more of the black goo from the ice if the mine just dumped all of their waste into the ice, which also is where the town's water supply was drawn from.

The townspeople didn't have like a well dug in the dirt, it was just a hose that got filled up with melted runoff from the permafrost, which instead of like chunks of ice and peat and soil, was just a solid block of ice that had skeletons in it, that's real permafrost. In short-the best water you can get.

Their harvest percentage went up significantly as the mine dumped more runoff into their ice and their goal of curing all of the townspeople got ever closer.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Whatever happened to the guy that survived being part of the man cube

Did he just die in the hospital

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Smugworth posted:

He went on to win the Nobel Prize for Medicine and regrew all his limbs

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

The answer will be revealed in True Detective Season 5: True Detective: Night Country Season 2

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Smugworth posted:

He was the one who told Navarro “ you mom sucks dicks in hell” lol

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

didn't he die immediately after the spook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I watched all six episodes and I just don't understand all the hate. Is it just because everyone is such a fan of Season 1?

Season 4 isn't great but I enjoyed it, I liked it a hell of a lot more than most television I've seen. Is it just that my tastes have devolved into garbage? Do I have garbage taste?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Depends on how you approached viewing this season I guess? Its fine if you just watch stuff for spectacle, like I'm not watching something like the Spartacus tv show for deep themes. Though I dont think this season was that great for watching it for spectacle either. It seems like this season was really trying hard to deliver a message to the viewer and make you think about it. And I think the show kinda falls apart the more you think about it. But thats just my own personal viewing of the show.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I think the disconnect for me is the way people are talking about season 1. I remember it being just as dumb and being just as underwhelmed by the finale but this time my expectations were adjusted 🤷🏼‍♂️

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Just finished Season 4. Thought it was fine. I enjoyed myself. Must have watched it wrong v:shobon:v

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Nah, the show is just dumb for making that a possibility at all

The show could easily have maintained a message about how native communities are being destroyed without having the stakes be a successful miracle cure to human disease

The scientist who claimed they had a successful miracle cure was also shown to be a liar. He's completely unreliable.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

this whole season is very obviously an unrelated script that they tacked true detective poo poo onto

Molothecat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 29, 2024

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

The writing is dogshit. This scientist loved this woman but went along with murdering her over derailing progress on their project? Even so far to finish the job himself? And these scientists are deluded into thinking there’s some miracle cure for everything waiting down there? Based on what?. Show sucks poo poo through a straw.

There’s also at least two episodes worth of filler in a six episode season.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Tony quidprano posted:

I think the disconnect for me is the way people are talking about season 1. I remember it being just as dumb and being just as underwhelmed by the finale but this time my expectations were adjusted 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yeah but big strong dudes were the ones calling the shots :jerkbag:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Smugworth posted:

yeah I'm pretty sure that actually is the issue. goons can't Mary sue themselves as Matthew McConaughey spewing out r/philosophy posts so TV show bad lol

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Tony quidprano posted:

yeah I'm pretty sure that actually is the issue. goons can't Mary sue themselves as Matthew McConaughey spewing out r/philosophy posts so TV show bad lol

every true detective up to this point has been about how lovely people try to compensate for their shortcomings through police work in unhealthy ways, almost always leading to self-destruction. The only season that hints at the noble nature of the main characters is this season, in the weirdest way possible.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

John DiFool posted:

The writing is dogshit. This scientist loved this woman but went along with murdering her over derailing progress on their project? Even so far to finish the job himself? And these scientists are deluded into thinking there’s some miracle cure for everything waiting down there? Based on what?. Show sucks poo poo through a straw.

I read that more as she was already dying, and it was a mercy killing, to stop her from suffering. And also to shut her up because the scientist was already pretty stressed out about the whole thing.

The whole mine and pollution part was goofy though. We need the mine to create pollution because otherwise there's no way to heat the permafrost? I don't know how permafrost works, though. Maybe you do need that. Shrug!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Tony quidprano posted:

Nobody wants to be Matthew mcconaugheys true detective character. The dudes a loser and has been.

The fact that you even think this is telling

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Worf posted:

Nobody wants to be Matthew mcconaugheys true detective character. The dudes a loser and has been.

gently caress man, yeah you got me, I thought goons were losers.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Smugworth posted:

lol you're kinda an idiot huh?

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Worf posted:

not just McConaughey. The most redeemable character, I feel, was Stephen dorff in season 3, and even then, he's a loving mess. Marty was a cheating piece of poo poo, Ali was a self-centered abusive rear end. Dorff at least tried to change and wanted to do more than "dispense justice." And even then, he and Ali are sadistic power-tripping cops with a preferred beating barn.

Tony quidprano posted:

gently caress man, yeah you got me, I thought goons were losers.

sorry about your projection

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
It's not like there is a long history of morons having a poo poo read of dramatic television and unironically championing characters who are unambiguously bad as a self insert. Nobody has done that for Tony Soprano or Walter White for example.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Night Country was bad regardless of the True Detective branding

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This show has taught me that modern civilization and science and industry is bad and will always eat itself. Long live primordial stuff or whatever

*hucks a deformed baby off a cliff*

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I would have simply used a heat dish from Costco but yeah poison the watering hole that’s ok too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
There were two things left over from Season 4 that maybe I missed.

Isn't the spiral established from Seasons 1 and 3 to be a symbol for a pedophile ring?

And about the tongue. What's the deal with the tongue?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

credburn posted:

And about the tongue. What's the deal with the tongue?

Clark when he finished her off with his t-shirt he squeezed her so hard, her tongue popped off. It sat around their ice cave until somebody picked it up on their crocs or sandals and tracked it upstairs. It was so warm in the ice caves (because of the excess pollution that you could just work down there wearing a t-shirt and shorts.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

thin blue whine posted:

The scientist who claimed they had a successful miracle cure was also shown to be a liar. He's completely unreliable.

Kind of? I don't think his research pedigree is really ever questioned. But yeah, obviously he's a weirdo and hosed up with all the Annie stuff. The other thing is that the show used the cure being real as extra motivation for that scientist being super pissed enough to murder.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Night Country was bad regardless of the True Detective branding

I'm not so sure. If you strip away all the supernatural stuff I think the show becomes a lot more coherent. which leads me to

Tiny Timbs posted:

*hucks a deformed baby off a cliff*

So the show isn't just about how a town is getting hosed up by pollution or the effects on the indigenous community. The addition of the explicit supernatural elements brings along larger issues because the primordial spirit or whatever is explicitly ancient and unknowable i.e. antithetical to science and modern civ. I mean, the representatives of science are literally sacrificed to it. If you remove the spiral spirit stuff and no longer make it a True Detective show, then there is a decent chance that the story makes a more impactful commentary about how we treat native communities

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 29, 2024

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So the show isn't just about how a town is getting hosed up by pollution or the effects on the indigenous community. The addition of the supernatural elements brings along larger issues because the primordial spirit or whatever is explicitly ancient and unknowable i.e. antithetical to science and modern civ. I mean, the representatives of science are literally sacrificed to it. If you remove the spiral spirit stuff and no longer make it a True Detective show, then there is a decent chance that the story makes a more impactful commentary about how we treat native communities

100% agree. It also bothered me how much the otherworldly stuff was verified within the story. I feel like these elements were a little more vague and/or given possible, alternate explanations (Ali's dementia, McConaughey's synestesia) in other seasons.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Molothecat posted:

100% agree. It also bothered me how much the otherworldly stuff was verified within the story. I feel like these elements were a little more vague and/or given possible, alternate explanations (Ali's dementia, McConaughey's synestesia) in other seasons.

I thought by the end of the last episode it provided very not-supernatural explanations for everything :confused:

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

credburn posted:

I thought by the end of the last episode it provided very not-supernatural explanations for everything :confused:

an example of what I mean is that professor woman finding the frozen block of bodies because the ghost of rust's dad told her where to find it. was another explanation ever given for that?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

In the finale, Danvers has (navarro's mother's?) cross stuck in her hair and she pulls it out. I have no idea wtf that was supposed to mean or what it was doing there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Molothecat posted:

an example of what I mean is that professor woman finding the frozen block of bodies because the ghost of rust's dad told her where to find it. was another explanation ever given for that?

Well, that sort of thing, I think there's enough there that you could imagine that it was a person imagining the ghost, and by chance happened upon the bodies.

Also, I know she mentions that guy being named Cohle, but is that meant to be Rust's father? I'm sure it's meant to be a relative, but is there something that specifically identifies him as the dad?

Same thing for when people are hearing voices. They live in a real superstitious, isolated community. I would imagine one might think they see ghosts, think they're hearing the dead whisper, when out in that place for that long.

Maybe that's just me filling in the gaps myself, though. Nobody else saw him. :shrug:

My biggest complaint is in the last episode a guy talks about "time is a flat circle" which is just a real dumb thing to say if you don't begin by talking about spheres. Circles are flat. They're always flat. The reason Cohle talks about "time is a flat circle" is because he previously talked about how time is seen as spherical or some poo poo. If you just say "...is a flat circle" you're just talking about circles.

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 29, 2024

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

credburn posted:

Well, that sort of thing, I think there's enough there that you could imagine that it was a person imagining the ghost, and by chance happened upon the bodies.

I suppose that's possible, but, iirc, she does explicitly leave her house to go off onto the ice at the ghost's behest. Also, she specifically says she's seen him before and attributes the discovery to his intervention.

credburn posted:

Also, I know she mentions that guy being named Cohle, but is that meant to be Rusty's father? I'm sure it's meant to be a relative, but is there something that specifically identifies him as the dad?

I read that in an article somewhere. It fits, so I didn't really question it. I looked for the article because I was wondering who it was supposed to be. I honestly forgot what McConaughey's name in season one was, but the name seemed like it was something I was supposed to recognize

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
So I've been scouring reddit and some other sites trying to understand the tongue thing, and it seems like the best explanation is that the dadcop who moved the body for some reason cut the tongue out and kept it as a trophy for a few years which doesn't fit his character or the story or anything but maybe makes the most sense logistically and timelinewise?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

It's almost as if it was all really poorly conceived and written...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tony quidprano posted:

It's not like there is a long history of morons having a poo poo read of dramatic television and unironically championing characters who are unambiguously bad as a self insert. Nobody has done that for Tony Soprano or Walter White for example.

Not nearly as long as the history of morons purposely choosing the dumbest read of dramatic anything to show how morally superior they are to all those other, dumb, indigenous-women hating goons. Thank god you're one of the good ones.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah this is an interesting cultural confluence. S1 was extremely well-made and -acted, but steeped in toxic masculinity (it attempted to critically examine male pathologies, but ended up with “yeah but sometimes you need assholes like this to extrajudicially kill child abusers”). S4 is very explicitly feminist, environmentalist, and pro-indigenous rights, but is not very well plotted or scripted.

For me, my disdain for S4 is largely due to disappointment. I like Nordic/Arctic noir,
I like Jodie Foster, Kali Reis was great casting, and it had very high advance critical praise. So I mostly just feel let down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
Tokyo Vice is reminding me that HBO TV used to mean something