Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Crystal Thenis posted:

Tokyo Vice is reminding me that HBO TV used to mean something

Is that show good? All I know is that its based on a book full of made up bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is that show good? All I know is that its based on a book full of made up bullshit

it owns so hard

idk how true it is, but it’s the story of the first western (American) journalist to work in japan in 1999. he starts doing crime reporting and gets a yakuza friend and stuff.

it’s filmed so well and the story owns. pretty shocking that baby driver speaks Japanese so well and the hot girl from Legion too. It’s classic HBO standard and makes TD look like a baby show.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Crystal Thenis posted:

and the hot girl from Legion too.

Wait, Aubrey Plaza is in this?

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
Rachel Keller is a babe

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Chicken Butt posted:

Yeah this is an interesting cultural confluence. S1 was extremely well-made and -acted, but steeped in toxic masculinity (it attempted to critically examine male pathologies, but ended up with “yeah but sometimes you need assholes like this to extrajudicially kill child abusers”). S4 is very explicitly feminist, environmentalist, and pro-indigenous rights, but is not very well plotted or scripted.

For me, my disdain for S4 is largely due to disappointment. I like Nordic/Arctic noir,
I like Jodie Foster, Kali Reis was great casting, and it had very high advance critical praise. So I mostly just feel let down.

I think S1 made it clear that the extrajudicial killing was a really stupid move which ultimately caused more harm then good

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Crystal Thenis posted:

Rachel Keller is a babe

Elbows literally jutting, pass

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

titty_baby_ posted:

I think S1 made it clear that the extrajudicial killing was a really stupid move which ultimately caused more harm then good

Yeah I rewatched S1 the other day and they talk about how poo poo of an idea it was frequently, up till rust guilt trips marty in ep7 with the same thing he gave him props for in the moment. "Good to see you finally commit to something" versus "If you hadn't domed that dude Ledoux we would know a whole lot more" later.

It feels pretty natural that the characters are assholes in S1. Natural given they stopped a realistic amount of the issue for two assholes, that being barely scratching the surface.

Personally, I always felt that if they weren't such pricks they would have broken deeper into carcosa. Letting them have failings and shortcomings and be wrong was something I really liked. The green ears thing being a total asspull of a guess is my only real complaint with their true detective work.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 29, 2024

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My wife and I enjoyed season one, but it is clearly a male jerkoff fantasy

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Worf posted:

Elbows literally jutting, pass

sharp knees but kawaii karaoke also

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Flowers for QAnon posted:

It’s insane how many males love jerking off

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

harder for the ladies

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Some day it will be in the same bin as Fight Club and 300

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
True Detective, season 5: Day Country

The first day of dawn breaks. A murder mystery—who killed Ennis?

The mining conglomeration has pulled out of town and with it go the jobs. The residents who don't immediately leave with the company come to the realization that their home had long since grown dependent on the influx of capital it offered: mine employees get good money; mine employees spend good money on local goods and services; everyone benefits from an increase in income and tax revenues. In their absence, public services shutter and private businesses see their bottom lines buckle.

A death spiral ensues as no one has any income to pay anyone else. Locals struggle with a hard decision. Do they leave their home and traditions behind them to obtain better prospects for them and their children? Or do they stick it out to safeguard their heritage, enduring a hardscrabble subsistence lifestyle utterly unlike the (extremely relative) luxury to which they've grown accustomed? Many rightly bemoan the deprivations of capitalism, but struggle to offer a path forward into the new day.

Our protagonist rolls into town on a fat-tire bicycle and stops behind a mob of job seekers protesting at City Hall. As the new light breaks over the horizon, she dons a pair of sunglasses and speaks aloud to the camera, "Gosh, I'm just so tired of all these nights in this here country."

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

and season 4 has protagonists banging dudes for their own short term comfort while saving the day and bringing true justice to the underserved.

They held a gender swapping mirror to the screen and copied it in crayon.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

and season 4 has protagonists banging dudes for their own short term comfort while saving the day and bringing true justice to the underserved.

its different when women do it tho, because

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Smugworth posted:

Some day it will be in the same bin as Fight Club and 300

but its nothing like these things

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

Its as fictional as those things

lol at this article excerpt about the Tokyo Vice book

"An early chapter of Adelstein’s memoir is titled “It’s the New Year, Let’s Fight,” which chronicles a spectacular martial arts duel between Adelstein and a co-worker at his first newspaper bureau year-end party. Adelstein, as the story goes, takes his opponent briefly off his feet with what he calls a “one-inch punch” from Wing Chun Kung Fu, and before long, two other colleagues are brawling."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tokyo-vice-problematic-source-material-1235135828/

Yeah, the author totally did an awesome one inch punch lmao

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 1, 2024

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Theyre not cheating in season 4

Well, Danvers was, but currently isn't, but she is the town homewrecker, so

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I was responding to the person asking about “Tokyo Vice”

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Its as fictional as those things

lol at this article excerpt about the Tokyo Vice book

"An early chapter of Adelstein’s memoir is titled “It’s the New Year, Let’s Fight,” which chronicles a spectacular martial arts duel between Adelstein and a co-worker at his first newspaper bureau year-end party. Adelstein, as the story goes, takes his opponent briefly off his feet with what he calls a “one-inch punch” from Wing Chun Kung Fu, and before long, two other colleagues are brawling."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/tokyo-vice-problematic-source-material-1235135828/

Yeah, the author totally did an awesome one inch punch lmao

That’s a strange coincidence; for some reason, all the local ladies on Tinder call me “One-Inch Punch”. I didn’t realize it was a really cool martial-arts-based compliment!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Saucer Hovers posted:

clearly a male jerkoff fantasy

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

I was responding to the person asking about “Tokyo Vice”

oh my bad. Wait why is Tokyo vice a male jerk off fantasy? It's been a while but I don't remember picking up on that vibe.

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

it had the vibe of the author telling lies to sound cool. I quit after 3 episodes

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Lies can be entertaining.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Molothecat posted:

it had the vibe of the author telling lies to sound cool. I quit after 3 episodes

tv isn't real.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

It certainly isn't true, like detectiving is.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Robobot posted:

Lies can be entertaining.

true lies can be

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Maybe Jamie Lee Curtis can play Ray Velcoro in the season 5 remake of season 2.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Molothecat posted:

88%
Avg. Tomatometer
Fresh audience score.

91%
Avg. Audience Score

IMDb RATING
8.0/10

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

we can like different things, it's ok

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Molothecat posted:

we can like different things, it's ok

we can, but please don’t project weird stuff on this show. it is very good.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Crystal Thenis posted:

we can, but please don’t project weird stuff on this show. it is very good.

what & how are they projecting

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

Worf posted:

what & how are they projecting

male power fantasy hmmm

this is why we don’t have nice things anymore

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

where did I mention male power fantasy?

I watched a TV show that is supposed to be based on an author's real life experiences. It felt overly-dramatized to a point of disbelief for me, so I stopped watching it. I didn't say it was poorly-made or in any other way bad, just that I bounced off of it for that reason.

Pretty funny to accuse me of projection, then to come back with that response, though.

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
cool

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I like true detective season 4. I was also dropped on the head as an infant.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Crystal Thenis posted:

male power fantasy hmmm

this is why we don’t have nice things anymore

Molothecat posted:

where did I mention male power fantasy?

a fair question, do you have an answer for this?

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo

oh my bad. Wait why is Tokyo vice a male jerk off fantasy? It's been a while but I don't remember picking up on that vibe.

I was carrying on this vibe and not getting stuck on the human speed bump of the user above

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

you want them to keep posting? we can treat it as rhetorical

lol "I can't read, so this person sucks." An intellectual giant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Thenis
Mar 23, 2023

by sebmojo
from craig zahler being a racist director to Tokyo vice being a male power fantasy

this topic has some really strange and awful takes