Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

blight rhino posted:

So Season 4 is the current one? I could of swore the commercials said "Now Streaming SEASON 5!!! ONLY ON MAX OR HBO+ OR WHATEVER"

You thinking of Fargo season 5???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

This is the correct assessment of season 2.

This season is going to be a total loving waste of Jodie Foster.

You're a real glass-half-empty kinda fella aren't you

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

You're a real glass-half-empty kinda fella aren't you

How many great lines of dialogue did episode 1 of season 1 have?

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

blight rhino posted:

I don't think I've seen 3, what was the theme in that one?

Season 3 is about loneliness and acceptance and is pretty excellent. And that's a fact.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

huh posted:

Season 3 is about loneliness and acceptance and is pretty excellent. And that's a fact.

It's also about memory and aging!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

kntfkr posted:

Like none but it made up for it with shockingly good boobs

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

I do wish Jodie Fosters character would have said "I'm just a regular type chick with a big rear end pussy"

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

I do wish Jodie Fosters character would have said "I'm just a regular type chick with a big rear end pussy"

yup

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

credburn posted:

Does Season 2 open with Rachel McAdams's character just having had anal sex?

One of the first lines spoken after she appears is the guy she was loving saying "most girls aren't into that kind of thing" or something like that.

Anyway, strong opener.

Wasn't that the opening to the first episode of Fleabag?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

when you look at season 2 through the lens of a failed David lynch project it’s more enjoyable.

Handle bar mustachioed consistently drunk Colin Ferrel was great.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wasn't season 2 supposed to be about the secret occult history of the United States transportation system?

I remember someone telling me this before it came out but I don't remember anything about dark magic highways

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
1 is some of the best television ever.

The first half one 2 is really good, a moody noir-ish thriller that hits all the tropes. When we get to the gunfight halfway through the season I was totally hyped and couldn't understand all the hate. Then it's all downhill: two completely convoluted plots crossing wires, a lame rear end reveal on who the killer is, and constant misery inflicted on all the main characters. And Vince Vaughn absolutely sucks in this, just the most boring gangster ever.

Season 3 is like a less good copy of season 1. It's okay and Stephen Dorf is standout, I hate how he didn't really get second billing alongside Mahershala Ali. Scoot McNairey was also really good. Then the reveal of what happened to the kids comes and I literally lol'd at how stupid it was. Steven Williams appears in a small role though and he's baddass wherever he turns up.

4 is okay so far but I'm worried it might go the way of 3. Oh a polar bear with one eye turned up just like the doll oh no.

Still, I expect there'll be a huge action scene in the middle of the season like 1 and 2 had so I'll look forward to that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Tekken 2 has better CGI than True Detective Season 4

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Time is a flat circle

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Wifi Toilet posted:

s1 >> s3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> s2

Where's season 4 on this chart?

in the next area code

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

more like season snore...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey's chemistry in S1 was a big part of it, and they never actually tried to organically recreate that, just HEY HERE'S A BUNCH OF BIG NAMES AT THE MOMENT SHOTGUNNED AT A BOARD

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

Tekken 2 has better CGI than True Detective Season 4

You're sounding like a real hater right now. You're going to be eating crow when this becomes the best season yet

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Matthew McConaughey runs some kind of self help cult now for money

I want nihilist Rust Cole back

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Poo Detective

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Smugworth posted:

Matthew McConaughey runs some kind of self help cult now for money

I want nihilist Rust Cole back

he probably does it to feel important since i doubt he needs money

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

You're sounding like a real hater right now. You're going to be eating crow when this becomes the best season yet

The dialogue in True Detective Season 4 sounds like it was written by an AI being fed prompts by a child with learning disabilities who has never heard spoken english. I could not write such boring, lovely, stilted, unremarkable dialogue if I tried. I'm not hating. It's really impressive.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Someone recommended checking out the series Fortitude since it has a similar theme of a murder mystery in an near-arctic town.

So I watched the first season and really enjoyed it until near the end when things started to get overly weird and a bit silly.

I see there are two more seasons of the show but I'm on the fence if it is worth sticking with.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Watched the first ep this morning and it seems ok. Yeah the dialogue is little stilted but it was interesting enough to keep me on board for the next episode. I also realized I somehow never actually watched season three even though I could have sworn I did.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

It's bad.

It's college-graduate-thesis-film levels of trying to impress beyond one's ability. Humorless, lifeless, by-numbers, cargo-cult hack noir with a social justice angle awkwardly grafted on for relevance. You could tell me it was written by an AI trained on every cop thriller ever made and I would believe it.

Weak characters. Poor pacing. No humor. No humanity. Bad CGI. A ghost doing interpretive dance. Cringe-inducing horror "beats." A dull plod trying to be a slow burn.

Awful.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dynastocles posted:

It's bad.

It's college-graduate-thesis-film levels of trying to impress beyond one's ability. Humorless, lifeless, by-numbers, cargo-cult hack noir with a social justice angle awkwardly grafted on for relevance. You could tell me it was written by an AI trained on every cop thriller ever made and I would believe it.

Weak characters. Poor pacing. No humor. No humanity. Bad CGI. A ghost doing interpretive dance. Cringe-inducing horror "beats." A dull plod trying to be a slow burn.

Awful.

turn your monitor on

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Dynastocles posted:

It's bad.

Awful.

Yes! Thank you. Exactly.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Detective Saul Star: Hey Chief Jodie, it is cold.

Chief Jodie Foster: Do you know why it is cold?

Detective Saul Star: With my polar climate, PHD? Yes? No thanks! Ha ha!

Chief Jodie: This arctic lab is empty and spooky.

Detective Saul Star: What do you think happened here?

Junior Detective: Huh? Guh?

Chief Jodie: I don't know. Better call it in to the crime station. Bag them & tag them boys.

MAX 2024 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

What about the part where Agent Starling announces "I hate the beetles" and freaks out on an entertainment center, potentially contaminating a crime scene to stop Fenris Buhler's parade?

This is a really nice touch that brings a wealth of characterization to Police Chief Starling.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

covidstomper58 posted:

What about the part where Agent Starling announces "I hate the beetles" and freaks out on an entertainment center, potentially contaminating a crime scene to stop Fenris Buhler's parade?

This is a really nice touch that brings a wealth of characterization to Police Chief Starling.

It's literally 1) the only memorable line of dialogue in the entire episode because 2) it's a meta reference to Jodie Foster, the famous person wrt John Hinkley Jr.'s obsession with her and John Lennon. Has nothing to do with the character. So loving dumb.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I heard that Issa Lopez was signed to make this season like 6 months ago and then she just smoked weed all summer and then got a new boyfriend and they just like.....couldn't..... so she paid someone on fiver to write the season the night before they started shooting and the guy just used CHAT GPT V3.4.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

kntfkr posted:

It's literally 1) the only memorable line of dialogue in the entire episode because 2) it's a meta reference to Jodie Foster, the famous person wrt John Hinkley Jr.'s obsession with her and John Lennon. Has nothing to do with the character. So loving dumb.

No that's what you call smart writing in a prestige TV series.

There's advertisements on other TV channels for this groundbreaking series.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
YOU
write a really lovely season of true detective based in alaska

ChatGPT

Title: "Frozen Shadows"

Episode 1: "Chilled Beginnings"
Detectives Jake Frostbite and Sarah Icepick reluctantly team up to solve a mysterious case in the icy wilderness of Alaska. The victim, Frosty McIcicle, is found impaled on an oversized popsicle stick in the middle of an abandoned igloo. The detectives navigate through a series of poorly scripted dialogues filled with icy puns and struggle to establish any semblance of chemistry.

Episode 2: "Polar Plots"
As Frostbite and Icepick investigate further, they discover a secret society of penguins who are involved in a nefarious plot to take over the frozen underworld. The detectives chase down leads that involve questionable CGI penguins wearing trench coats and conducting shady business transactions in igloo speakeasies. The suspense is ruined by clumsy exposition and cheesy one-liners.

In conclusion, yeah pretty much.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

They also took great care to reproduce the Alaskan culture and experience in Iceland.

I couldn't imagine reproducing Alaska in Iceland, but these showrunners somehow did it.

Now I have to watch for Huldufólk in every shot, because what if those Hi-Def cameras picked them up in shots and didn't realize it.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I keep seeing commercials that suggests this new season is tied to season 1. is that for real?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I keep seeing commercials that suggests this new season is tied to season 1. is that for real?

Probably the same way Season 3 was, by the pedophile ring with the jagged spiral

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Both seasons are part of the series True Detective yes.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm excited. Looks like maybe they finally went back to season 1 style of murder with maybe some folklore/supernatural stuff instead of a boring cop procedural where the poor good cop has to deal with corruption and man it sure is hard for them to follow the law when they have a gun and license to kill and everyone else is doing it!

:jerkbag:

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

John Hawkes is really looking like poo poo in the first episode. Is that a character choice or is he like, on the verge of death IRL?