Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What makes the Big Show's dead daddy feud even funnier is that it was somehow a WORLD TITLE FEUD because Triple H, Rock and Foley had better things to do, like feud with Vince, Val Venis and Al Snow.

And it's okay Gavok, I'm not a fan of the Bret-Owen cage match either. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Doink the Clown

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czb5R_7fseE

This some of the best wrestling I’ve ever seen

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sandman McMahon posted:

YOU DON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What makes the Big Show's dead daddy feud even funnier is that it was somehow a WORLD TITLE FEUD because Triple H, Rock and Foley had better things to do, like feud with Vince, Val Venis and Al Snow.

On one hand, it was a good idea to use Austin's injury as an opportunity to move some people up the card, because late 1999 WWF definitely needed it. On the other hand, they did a real bad job with it.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Sandman McMahon posted:

its still real to me

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

To be fair, it was a feud that just became a world title feud out of nowhere because Big Show randomly became champion before they could do the blow-off.

It reminds me of one of my favorite touches from the Bret vs. Austin feud. WrestleMania 13 had that match plus Sid vs. Undertaker. On a Raw leading up to it, they had Sid defend the title against Bret. Despite Austin hating Bret's guts like nothing else, he tried to run interference to help Bret because that would make their WrestleMania match a title match. That caused Undertaker to show up to run counter-interference so he could protect his own title shot.

When Sid retained, Austin was all, "You idiot! I helped you out and you still couldn't get the job done!"

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

neoaxd posted:

its still real to me

This could have been a good start but it wasn’t enough. We need a full color spectrum of different Kanes. I need Yellow Kane, I need Magenta Kane, I need Rose Gold Kane.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Eat My Fuc posted:

Doink the Clown

there are two doinks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

one could wrestle but was an insane alcoholic and the other couldnt wrestle

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there are two doinks

Then there was clowns R us the previous year, four separate doinks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

im seeing double...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Do we know which wrestler gimmicks the WWE own?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

Do we know which wrestler gimmicks the WWE own?

they own doink, diesel, and razor

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wwe got razor and diesel at home

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wwe got razor and diesel at home

In Your House?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they own doink, diesel, and razor

What about honky tonk man?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Mr Hootington posted:

What about honky tonk man?

im not sure how it works but i think anything wwe or vince came up with and forced a wrestler to do is something the company owns or maybe they just force wrestlers to sign everything over to the company

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Booger bastion returns

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they tried to copyright ultimate warrior but warrior legally changed his name to warrior first lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they tried to copyright ultimate warrior but warrior legally changed his name to warrior first lol

He pulled a Nikita koloff? Lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the entire reason fake Diesel and Razor existed was because Vince was pissed about Nash and Hall knew they owned the Razor and Diesel names and genuinely thought people liked the characters more than the performers which is why he forced the future kane to dress up as Nash and do very embarrassing promos... then almost fired Kane for not having the killer instinct he wanted lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

it also almost killed nash and hall's wcw career before it started because vince was promoting the return of diesel and razor before they debuted on wcw tv lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Didn't Bischoff call and like double their offers because of it only to realize how pwned he was when kane and bogner came out

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

Didn't Bischoff call and like double their offers because of it only to realize how pwned he was when kane and bogner came out

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lmao at all of that. Can't wait to watch it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jim cornette being tasked with teaching glenn jacobs how to wrestle like nash and just telling him to do 4 basic moves and finish with a hair flip ftw

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

wrestling owns so much. Nothing is funnier. Never forget this

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's a sad post script where Vince said to Bogner "Call this number if you need anything".

Then after he and Jacobs get pulled off tv because everyone knows the whole thing sucks, Bogner figures he'll call Vince to try and plead his case as guy who can contribute and leaves a message, and word gets back to him Vince didn't like it at all. He gets let go soon afterwards.

I know there's a perception Vince likes it when people stand up for themselves, but I think it helps if he likes you and sees potential for you to make him money.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKc7M7QQKSs

Another classic

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a sad post script where Vince said to Bogner "Call this number if you need anything".

Then after he and Jacobs get pulled off tv because everyone knows the whole thing sucks, Bogner figures he'll call Vince to try and plead his case as guy who can contribute and leaves a message, and word gets back to him Vince didn't like it at all. He gets let go soon afterwards.

I know there's a perception Vince likes it when people stand up for themselves, but I think it helps if he likes you and sees potential for you to make him money.

he showed weakness

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Nailz!

I used to watch some wrasslin on Saturdays when I was little . it had to be after Summer Slam and they kept showing Bossman all bruised up. I was so mad they would let a criminal like that beat up a wrassler. I hated Nailz so much.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnFZHJBUrXc

im tempted to post this so often

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

forkboy84 posted:

Ivan Putski & Macho being in it helped narrow that down, they only really crossed over in '85, almost certain the show you are referring to is The Wrestling Classic, a 16 man 1 night tournament that was the 2nd ever Pay Per View event WWF ran (the first national PPV? IIRC Mania 1 was mostly on closed circuit & was only on PPV in a handful of markets). There was the guys you named plus Corporal Kirschner, Dynamite Kid, Nikolai Volkoff, Ricky Steamboat, Davey Boy Smith, Iron Sheik, Junkyard Dog, Moondog Spot, Terry Funk, Tito Santana, Don Muraco & Bob Orton, & there was also a WWF World Heavyweight Title match with Hogan vs Piper.

Show had Gorilla & Jesse on commentary, but was "presented" by Vince & Alfred Hayes.

If you have the nostalgia for it then I'm sure it's a fun watch, but if you don't then it's not good. Nothing goes over 10 minutes, more than half the maches are sub-5 minutes, & it's the 1980s so there's a bunch of unsatisfying finishes. They give us Savage vs Steamboat years before Mania III & it gets 4 minutes :(

Thank you for this and confirming I’m not a raving lunatic.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The best part of Fake Razor and Diesel was heel Jim Ross.

"These people wanted Razor Ramon and Diesel, and they're getting... erm, Razor Ramon and Diesel!!"
(crowd boos)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Moving forward a bit, I remember watching the Nexus raid and being like "this is an NWO, Austin 3:16 tonal shift in the business. This will end the PG malaise and bring us so back."

It, uh didn't. They were Just Some Guys by like week 3 then got extremely rapadoo'd

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

projecthalaxy posted:

Moving forward a bit, I remember watching the Nexus raid and being like "this is an NWO, Austin 3:16 tonal shift in the business. This will end the PG malaise and bring us so back."

It, uh didn't. They were Just Some Guys by like week 3 then got extremely rapadoo'd

lol

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

iirc it would've been good, but (a) Danielson was fired for strangling Justin Roberts with his tie (b) Cena, as you mentioned, was Cena, and came back from a DDT onto concrete to kill the Nexus

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

iirc it would've been good, but (a) Danielson was fired for strangling Justin Roberts with his tie (b) Cena, as you mentioned, was Cena, and came back from a DDT onto concrete to kill the Nexus

On one hand, Danielson being fired sunk the Nexus angle (though it'd have probably died anyway), on the other, we got at least 27 more Danielson indy dates from the end of June until early October. He worked in Puerto Rico (he actually beat QT Marshall to win the IWA PR Title), he did some European shots, he had really good matches on back to back nights in Chikara against Eddie Kingston & Tim Donst, we got matches against Bobby Fish & Munenori Sawa in Evolve (the Sawa match rules in particular), some terrific stuff in DGUSA against Moxley, Shingo & YAMATO, there was a match against young Tommy End, he put over Drake Younger in a decent match I will likely never rewatch because Drake is now an utter moron & shithead, but that was a week AFTER he returned at Summerslam. So on balance, worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

His firing also gave us the immortal Lloyd Boner promo.

It was such a shocking two days though. A genuinely good ending to an utterly abysmal show, and then the Bryan firing news coming the day after. What a whirlwind. :allears: