Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I've started a Dom6 YouTube series if people are still lookin for stuff to watch,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaBfqQyXn0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82lfpmBgeyg

I try to keep things a bit less dry than other dominions stuff out there, which is good or bad depending on whether you wanted a 50 minute explanation of parry mechanics or a guy laughing at prophet epithets set to banjo music.

Incidentally, I highly recommend Muspelheim is you're struggling with expanding in Dom6 and want to try out a nation with virtually braindead expansion. There is very little that can stand up to four big hot men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Expansion is nigh impossible at the moment. I am in a full multiplayer game (every MA nation) and I am surrounded by independent armies that are anywhere from 50-150 units. Consisting of heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, Abysians, and so on.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Boar It posted:

Expansion is nigh impossible at the moment. I am in a full multiplayer game (every MA nation) and I am surrounded by independent armies that are anywhere from 50-150 units. Consisting of heavy infantry, heavy cavalry, Abysians, and so on.

It's not impossible (for most nations, anyway). It just takes a bit more patience than people are used to. If you're a basic human nation you probably need an extra turn of recruitment instead of the immediate turn 2 starter-army-plus-five-sacreds push from earlier games.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

It's not impossible (for most nations, anyway). It just takes a bit more patience than people are used to. If you're a basic human nation you probably need an extra turn of recruitment instead of the immediate turn 2 starter-army-plus-five-sacreds push from earlier games.

I wait far beyond an extra turn to build up an army and it was barely enough to take one province. I'm not the only one struggling either it seems. Not sure how I'm supposed to expand at the start when indies can be upwards of 150+ in my cap circle with standard game settings from what I can see.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
skill issue

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Boar It posted:

I wait far beyond an extra turn to build up an army and it was barely enough to take one province. I'm not the only one struggling either it seems. Not sure how I'm supposed to expand at the start when indies can be upwards of 150+ in my cap circle with standard game settings from what I can see.

That sounds like bad luck, or else the host turned independent difficulty way up to troll everyone. I'm currently in an MA game and the indies in my initial cap circle were:

59 Wolf Tribe Archers and Wolf Tribe Warriors, including a shaman (scout pinged)
~50 Light Infantry, Heavy Infantry, and Crossbowmen.
~70 Wolf Tribe Warriors and Wolf Tribe Archers
~50 Wolf Tribe Archers and Wolf Tribe Warriors
~40 Archers and Light Infantry

Admittedly, I feel like I got lucky there, but >100 anything as an independent force was definitely a rarity. Expanding is harder than it was, and a bit slower, but definitely not impossible.

Since it was my first game the other players suggest that I try my build in singleplayer and play the first 12 turns multiple times, and aim to get 12+ provinces by turn 12. Admittedly the nation I picked (MA Na'Ba) seemed to have good troops so I didn't have much trouble with it, but it's probably a good thing to test and tune your pretender design for.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think it's in the cards to get almost locked into your starting position with an unlucky enough start, with enough players that's just something that can happen. Sometimes nothing to do but play your turns as best you can and hold out for the next game. The value of an awake pretender who can break you out of your capital circle definitely seems to have gone up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Case in point, from a current game.

Some unfortunate sod ended up with this jerk in their cap circle.

Which has led to the game lobby seeing comedy like this.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Mu. posted:

I've started a Dom6 YouTube series if people are still lookin for stuff to watch,

Actually, thanks. I was looking for Muspelheim content and I wasn't quite content with what i'd found.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

jsoh posted:

skill issue

Definitely. I don't know how to play Dominions. The only reason I survive until the end of long matches is because I look competent from afar by expanding and whatnot. But now that illusion cannot be maintained. :negative:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Caves indies might be a bit over-tuned, especially since you often have 1 province bottlenecks that could be a tier 3 throne or 60 trogs and most of them are linear and have slow map move so if your starting army moves 6 spots away, it could be 6 turns away from reinforcements.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 18, 2024

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Lord Koth posted:

I switched my bless from regen to fire shield after running my pretender into that guy in a test game, then I decided fire shield had bad synergy with my nation and switched back. I simply decided not to blind expand on turn 0

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Glamour 6? Is that guy from a Throne province? O_o

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Turin Turambar posted:

I ran into this guy myself. He was not in a throne province. He also came with his buddy, an Unfrozen Lord with the soul vortex armour.

Fortunately, he was slightly away from my cap circle, with a throne between me and him.

Edit: He was in Underhome.

Prism fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 18, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Not a throne, but apparently it's a unique magic site that sometimes turns up.

Credit to the Dominions Discord, because I sure didn't know.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 18, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

As always, Illwinter map rng can screw you over. In one map start you have a few provinces with weak tribes and light infantry you can choose from, in others you have in your cap circle a sea province, a throne province, a closed mountain border, a province heavy cavalry and another with a Pretender level mage.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

My experiment with Muspelheim had me convinced a death pretender wasn't that useful, but did spark my curiosity. Reinspired by Mu, another question popped into my head after noting that an Awake Demilich can easily afford Mending Bones and Reforming Flesh. I then grabbed the debug mod, and ran seven quick experiments with the Muspel Jarl, muspelgygja, and muspeldottir.

Lessons learnt: Twiceborn units retain their prophet status after their initial death.

Have I learned anything useful? Not really. If anything, Niefelheim and Fomoria have better death access and more sacred mages with a shot at death. I might follow up with Larger bless and I probably won't bother with Vaettiheim with or without Larger + Amulet of Giants, since it's a weak mage and i'd be making it more expensive but maybe for curiosity's sake with Debug's ease.

Edit: Messed around with Vaettiheim, Shinuyama and DID learn something useful
Larger bless no longer affects he cost of Twiceborn, nor does it appear to affect the base chassis (i.e. a size 3 wight gobbo is still a wight gobbo, not a wight human)

Edit 2: in fact, size two commanders get a twice born discount. I’m thinking of a zombie/zombee mod with size 1 necromancers…

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 19, 2024

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mu. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaBfqQyXn0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82lfpmBgeyg

I try to keep things a bit less dry than other dominions stuff out there, which is good or bad depending on whether you wanted a 50 minute explanation of parry mechanics or a guy laughing at prophet epithets set to banjo music.

Incidentally, I highly recommend Muspelheim is you're struggling with expanding in Dom6 and want to try out a nation with virtually braindead expansion. There is very little that can stand up to four big hot men.

Just wanted to chime in and say I’ve binged watched about 150 episodes of your dom5 videos over the last month.

I think your style works really well.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have been playing starsector recently and a ship had this randomly generated name and it was cracking me up

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Murgos posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say I’ve binged watched about 150 episodes of your dom5 videos over the last month.

I think your style works really well.

Yeah, Mu's videos are awesome. He also inspired me to finally get off my lazy rear end and do one of those Dominions video game let's plays I keep contemplating, but never doing.

But now I did!

For better or for worse, add another Dominions 6 VLP to the pile.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Someone teach me how to EA Ubar.

Is it still the case that EA Ubar is garbage for MP because it's hard countered by certain blesses?

Also is general strategy still "take hellscales, stack djinn to kill things, use desert warriors for chaff/archer spam, handful of camel dudes for bird shenanigans, then once the City of Brass event pops spam Shaytans w/ the occasional Ifrit"? Are there other viable strategies for Ubar, because the flavor is really cool and they've got a ton of neat commanders that don't seem to be used.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Why would you take hellscales?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

That's very nearly the opposite of how I'd play ubar. Take very positive scales, build up massive doomstacks of camels and archers, and use the mages primarily to buff them. Having great economy scales well with a foreignrec nation, you should never run out of ability to hire troops.

Jinn warriors are powerful, and having stealthy storm flying buff units are a great tool in your toolbox, but they have too many hard counters. You can expand with them, but you cannot trust to defeat any human player with a force primarily based on them.

I don't understand why anyone would take a powerful bless with ubar, sure Ifrit warriors are nice, but at 2holy points per, you will never have meaningful amounts of them. Any points you put in your bless are only useful to you after 12 turns have passed, and only give you limited bonuses even then, while you start benefiting from any points you put in your scales from turn 1.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah I've always played Ubar with little to no bless, you sure as hell don't need it and all of those points could be repurposed to buy MORE CAMELS.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

In my search for cool and functional archers I've ended up at Dai Bakemono. It just feels good giving these big boys giant strength and letting them loose.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

with zero gear and Enchantment 3 the lion is doing alright, soloing 5000g worth of troops and only sustaining a minor affliction

and if something happens to it I now have enough galas to bring it back in two turns guaranteed :madmax:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Looking at old dom5 posts people seem down on Uruk but they feel solid in mp so far, I think the changes from dom5 to dom6 helped more than hurt them. In particular, receiving more gold is great for their expansion since Uruk's recruit anywhere warriors do well against indies. Giving gods magic attacks and making it harder to get magic attacks as a bless makes spamming Call God more valuable, since a naked god is now more work to counter. The recent change that brings the cost of Kusarikkus down to 2 gems each is also swank

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Tuna-Fish posted:

That's very nearly the opposite of how I'd play ubar. Take very positive scales, build up massive doomstacks of camels and archers, and use the mages primarily to buff them. Having great economy scales well with a foreignrec nation, you should never run out of ability to hire troops.

Jinn warriors are powerful, and having stealthy storm flying buff units are a great tool in your toolbox, but they have too many hard counters. You can expand with them, but you cannot trust to defeat any human player with a force primarily based on them.

I don't understand why anyone would take a powerful bless with ubar, sure Ifrit warriors are nice, but at 2holy points per, you will never have meaningful amounts of them. Any points you put in your bless are only useful to you after 12 turns have passed, and only give you limited bonuses even then, while you start benefiting from any points you put in your scales from turn 1.

Hmm, OK maybe I've just been doing it wrong. My thought process was that since my pretender can't start awake anyway, and since indies can't really stop a djinn expansion, I wouldn't particularly need the scales for most of the first year and even then only really prosperity for when gold gets tight as I transition from recruitment to building; so why not take a stronger bless for the ifrits who are going to be doing my heavy lifting mid-game, as well as allow me to take more paths on my pretender for when they do awaken.

I'll give it a try the other way around next playthrough.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Leif. posted:

ifrits who are going to be doing my heavy lifting mid-game

This is the big disagreement I feel. How, exactly, are ifrits going to do heavy lifting in the midgame when you are hiring like 4 of them per turn max, vs the camels which you are easily hiring >100 per turn.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

What are people's impressions on the whole cave layer thing? Fun addition, needless complication, Underwater 2: Darkness Edition, something else?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Better than UW, in that it’s both more ignorable *and* has less of an effect on actual game play. Some of the edge case mechanics are unintuitive concerning the layer transition (you can just fly right past a surface fort to get there, because why would you be trying the guard the entrance).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There's a couple fringe things about the cave layer which can potentially be a bit unbalanced, but overall it's been a fairly interesting addition.

1. Not enough data to really tell for sure, but gold income for cave provinces seems to overall quite high, and mines seem more common as well. So someone expanding well UG can end up with quite a good economy.

2. Related to the above, access is limited. Setting aside nations that start down there, I've got a game currently where two people actually had cave entrances IN their cap, and they've basically dominated the entirety of the (fairly decently sized) cave layer because no one else could get down there in a reasonable timeframe because other cave entrances weren't in easily accessible locations (two were actually on single province islands). This is obviously a pretty big advantage, particularly given it's not like they were allocated less provinces on the surface or anything.

3. Zotz. So many zotz. Anyone with cave layer access - and particularly Xibalba who gets foreign recruit of them - can very quickly start spamming parties of them. Which really help in speeding up expansion due to just dumping parties of wholly expendable attack rear groups everywhere. Also means that blood/death access is pretty reasonably achievable for anyone who can get down there.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Tuna-Fish posted:

This is the big disagreement I feel. How, exactly, are ifrits going to do heavy lifting in the midgame when you are hiring like 4 of them per turn max, vs the camels which you are easily hiring >100 per turn.

TBH I haven't really tried massing that many camels. I figured that was kind of a gimmick and had been focusing on massing desert warriors for my chaff/archer line, and only really keep maybe 10 or so camels in each armor for backline harassment.

Yeah, you're only hiring a small number of ifrits per turn, but they should generally speaking be pulling weight and the bless is intended to help shore up some of the vulnerabilities (particularly cold res and boosting prot/def) against a human opponent who builds against them. The idea is to mass them in a single army which can stay mobile and stealthy, going where needed but only ever trying to fight one war at a time; while everything else can still be backstopped by secondary stacks of the djinns + other chaff.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That seems backwards - the small stealthy army that is easily countered and hard to replace and can only be in one place at a time is the gimmick, the broadly efficient easily spammable unit is the mainstay.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Whats a good way to get rid of Afflictions? Seems every faction i play just has no access to any sort of healer.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Hihohe posted:

Whats a good way to get rid of Afflictions? Seems every faction i play just has no access to any sort of healer.

Very few do.

There are items and summons that have disease healer, but IIRC the only general affliction healing one is an artifact (the chalice). The Gift of Health global enchantment will gradually heal your stuff too, but back when I used to play multiplayer the competition for that one could be fierce.

To be honest I mostly just ignore afflictions unless they're on someone I care a lot about.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 28, 2024

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Some hidden sites could offer recruitable disease healers, I think they require holy paths to find and that’s a lot less work to do now that you can automate searcher.

I believe the B2 Blood 3 ritual Blood Feast is one of the more reliable options, though it will take varying amounts of effort and time to boost into, especially if you have to blood hunt at 10% or less success rate.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Just kevork them into enemy provinces or shuffle them off into labs if they're researchers. There's your Dominions health care system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I get attached to my goons :ohdear:

This one dog headed guy got Unequaled Obesity, how can i Not love my fat dog friend