Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Angels have learnt the secret technique of using armor for battle:

And Chayot has now a group of Ophams as retinue

Poison clouds lingering, they move a bit even

This is the new fog of war system, where you can only see 1-3 provinces away, beyond that is a black void. This is different from Dominions 5 and before, where you saw the map itself (but not the province names, population or dominion info, armies etc).
Also, because the Pretender is present here, it can sense where the Throne provinces are, that's why the appear beyond the fog of war.

item to remove homesickness, good idea

a new Indian summon

Slay Queeeeen!

The spider gained 8MR. 8!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

my dad posted:

It is the opposite. Larger armies push back smaller armies.

I have sometimes seen very small armies(one commander) go through simultaneously with a very big army moving into their province of origin.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

do people still make lets plays of this? any really good ones recently?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Have they made the hinnom-line angels worth summoning

Ophans are cool as hell and I would like to use them some time (hashmals are so close to being worth their pearl cost)

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Angels have learnt the secret technique of using armor for battle:

Still no helmets, though.

ninjewtsu posted:

Have they made the hinnom-line angels worth summoning

The Grigori? They are already absolutely worth it, if you took a bless. The very least of them are flying H3s to help lead your goat demons, the best open entirely new magic paths for you.

Of course, they are less worth it if you took no appreciable bless (dawn guard for expansion), because then other, unblessed blood summons are probably better.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

79. You only have limited visibility around your provinces, you need scouts to see beyond that. In Early Age you only see at one province of distance away, two in the Middle Age, and three in the Late Age.

Is this true in Dom5 or only Dom 6? If the former, I never realized this. :psyduck:

106. In rare cases where both you and the enemy move to the opposite province (A goes to B, and B goes to A), it will be randomly chosen where the fight takes place, if in A province or in B province.

It's not entirely random. I believe smaller and faster armies have their destination weighted somewhat more than larger and slower armies.

107. Different troops have different map move values, so it's possible that with fast armies you can move two or even three provinces in a turn, depending on the province type, if the provinces are yours or not (moving through enemy province has a big penalty), etc. However, as a minimum all troops can move 1 province per turn.

Exception : Immobile units.

108. Armies move at the speed of the slowest unit.

It's worth calling out that injured units are often worth abandoning because they can slow a much larger army down. Diseases units can become injured. You can totally simulate a large army wasting away crossing a desert of you want.

122. The repel rule: Units defending with long weapons may have the chance to interrupt attacks and repel them as they come, sometimes even doing 1 point of damage to the opponent as ‘counter’, but usually only works if the if the repeller has a good attack score and the initial attacker has a bad morale score.

There are a handful of "on damage" effects, so repelling can be powerful in some niche cases.

123. You can avoid this and make them use their feet by using the Line or Double Line formation. An extra tip: Flying units are immune to 1st strike of lance charges (which usually have a bonus).

I didn't know these, either. More :psyduck:

Thanks for the excellent new thread, Turin!

Thanks for the comments. We already replied about 79, it's a new Dom6 thing, wherever possible (with the limited knowledge I have), I have written for the Dominions 6 ruleset.
106. Not sure if it's like you say or like mydad said, in any case it isn't important: there is a balance to maintain in a new player guide between clarity and simplicity, and accuracy and completeness, which means is better to not add details like that, there is the manual and the wiki for that level of detail. There are are a few points already in the guide where I did generalizations or I skipped some exceptions I knew for the same reason. The whole point is to deceiv... to fool... to motivate new people to play Dominions, not to scare them. :P
107. I... uh... I will trust people's common sense in this case. Yeah, immobile units cannot move. :)
123. I also didn't know about it! I happened to be watching a Lucid's AAR video a few days before I wrote the guide, that's why I put it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 15, 2024

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hell yeah I'm down for more Dominions. The trailer mentioned something about taking over alternate dimensions, any idea what that's about?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

my dad posted:

No. It does not work on this and it never worked like this. Repel does not apply "on damage" effects.

This has not been the case since Dominions 5. Only commanders slow armies down. Regular units might die on the march if they're crippled, but don't reduce army movement.

It is the opposite. Larger armies push back smaller armies.

Thanks for the corrections. I love this game. :gbsmith:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hell yeah I'm down for more Dominions. The trailer mentioned something about taking over alternate dimensions, any idea what that's about?

It was a bit of exaggeration, honestly. There is only a second 'map layer', the caves; and a third site that we could consider an alternate dimension (but it's literally a single province).
That said, the game map system support having extra 'map layers', so mappers will be able to have 6 or 7 planes, each connected to the rest in the way the map designer wants.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

The Grigori? They are already absolutely worth it, if you took a bless. The very least of them are flying H3s to help lead your goat demons, the best open entirely new magic paths for you.

Of course, they are less worth it if you took no appreciable bless (dawn guard for expansion), because then other, unblessed blood summons are probably better.

Nah, the angel-angels. Malakh, hashmal, ophan, chayot, uhhh at least 1 more I'm forgetting. The ones that are ludicrously overpriced for no clear reason (chayot is 222 pearls lmfao)

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh man, I gotta work late on release day, darn. Hopefully Eriu doesn't get any worse in the reworking, I love that team, but they can be a bit underwhelming at times.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Turin Turambar posted:

It was a bit of exaggeration, honestly. There is only a second 'map layer', the caves; and a third site that we could consider an alternate dimension (but it's literally a single province).
That said, the game map system support having extra 'map layers', so mappers will be able to have 6 or 7 planes, each connected to the rest in the way the map designer wants.

Aww. I was hoping for full on Conquest of Elysium shenanigans.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Virtual Russian posted:

Oh man, I gotta work late on release day, darn. Hopefully Eriu doesn't get any worse in the reworking, I love that team, but they can be a bit underwhelming at times.

they get lots of the new kind of magic

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Aww. I was hoping for full on Conquest of Elysium shenanigans.

I heard the same sentiment before, and i know some people really are into that, but I don't think it would work as well within the context of a game like Dominions, focused on empire expansion and war. In CoE you kinda can gently caress off to another plane and explore it, it's another pace.

--
This sprite goes hard

jsoh posted:

they get lots of the new kind of magic

I'm a bit disappointed in some of the new nations, I feel they are missing some extra uniqueness that serve to really anchor up what is their unique flavour. Where are the unique national spells, items, events?
Maybe some stuff still have to be unveiled, but I suspect we will need to wait a few updates until Illwinter actually complete the nations, the same way they did a 'Mediterran update' that gave new Pretenders and spells for Mediterranean nations in Dom5.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 15, 2024

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Nah, the angel-angels. Malakh, hashmal, ophan, chayot, uhhh at least 1 more I'm forgetting. The ones that are ludicrously overpriced for no clear reason (chayot is 222 pearls lmfao)

Eh, it's pretty easy to see how they got to the price point of Call Merkavah. It summons a Chayot, yes, but it also summons 4 Ophans. Which themselves are a Conj 8 single summon for 49 pearls. Albeit you're getting the unit version with Call Merkavah, so lesser value (though Ophans honestly still have like 80% of their value as a unit - commander really doesn't add much), but it's still a single mage turn for a bunch of expensive stuff.

Not to say the line isn't heavily overpriced overall, but it's not like the Chayot on its own is 222 pearls. The real issue with its pricing is that Ophans are probably the worst of the lot in terms of pricing, and so Merkavah's cost being influenced by them is similarly way too much.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

None of those are available to Hinnom, they are available Ashdod and up.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

I'm ready for the Heroic 5x meta

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Amuys posted:

I'm ready for the Heroic 5x meta

"My god made me resistant to Fire & Shock and now I regrow missing limbs, what did your god make you"
"Better than you at everything."

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This is very dominions.jpg, so I will post it

Also, here it's a relation (not 100% complete) of the summons that are cheaper or more efficient in Dominions 6:

A bit better:
asp turtle
catoblepas
leviathan
reanimation
Fire Ants

~30% better:
abomination
Algae Men
ancient presence
Bog Beasts
fall bears
iron dragon
iron pigs
Killer Mantis
Kraken
naiad warriors
Ogres
Sea Lions
Shades
siege golem
spirit mastery
spring hawks
summer lions
swamp drake
tarrasque
Vine Men
winter wolves
Yetis

50-75% better:
animal horde
claymen
clockwork horrors
enliven gargoyles
ghosts
legion of wights
mechanical men
terracotta army
manticore
Pack of Wolves
spirits of the wood
trolls
vine ogres

100% better:
Animals
Cave Cows
Cave Grubs
Crocodiles
fire snakes
forest giants
forest trolls
great eagles
gryphons
Horned Serpents
lamias
leogryphs
mandragora
manikin
Sea Dogs
shade beasts
wooden construct
ziz

More than 100% :
clockwork soldiers
draconians
sea trolls

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Grubs were already legit really good before. If you can move them around they're one of the most gem-to-siege efficient summons.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Grubs were already legit really good before. If you can move them around they're one of the most gem-to-siege efficient summons.

I'm thinking now that there is an * to apply here. We know magic path required for the summon, gem costs, and number of units summoned. But we don't know if the units themselves are the same, nerfed, or buffed. It seems now in Dom6 they are 5 gems instead of 6 gems, and you summon 10 of them. That's more than double efficiency. However maybe their siege bonus has changed?

Well, we will know tomorrow. This and much more...
first thing I will test will be the strategic AI itself, I have read conflicting reports.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rip freckles, murdered in the stables by a demon

does that also work for seducers? does the satyr invading sauromatia sneak into the stables and seduce the giant riding lizard as well?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Does anyone know if larzm42 is going to create a Dom6Inspector? They created Dom4Inspector and Dom5Inspector, so I'm hopeful, but realize people's interests change over time.

I don't know if I missed it earlier or if my browser just refreshed, but they created a repo for it, so it looks like it will be A Thing.

https://github.com/larzm42/dom6inspector

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

Does anyone know if larzm42 is going to create a Dom6Inspector? They created Dom4Inspector and Dom5Inspector, so I'm hopeful, but realize people's interests change over time.

I don't know if I missed it earlier or if my browser just refreshed, but they created a repo for it, so it looks like it will be A Thing.

https://github.com/larzm42/dom6inspector

Yes, I plan on creating it. Not sure how long it is going to take. Assuming they haven't changed all the values around for the various attributes I'm hopeful it won't be too long. I'm interested to see how they implement the new path of magic. Not sure if I'll spend more time doing this or playing Dom 6....

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hey Larz! I always forget your are in the forums

For my part, I wouldn't be surprised if this time, you need extra time to update it to Dom6. I think there are more changes than from Dom4 to Dom5. Who knows what they have done behind the courtain...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I tested a bit and the network protocol doesn't seem that different, the discord bot could still connect to and read from Dom 6 games even if the nation IDs were wrong. Of course I still have to scrape the new html status page instead of spoofing the client like the bot did for Dom 5 so there's a little work to do.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I didn't know the creator of DomInspector was a goon! Thanks so much for creating it; it's fantastic, and makes the game far more approachable.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

posting in the new bread

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

posting in the new bread

/checks username

Estarás contento con las nuevas naciones del juego! :)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

rip freckles, murdered in the stables by a demon

does that also work for seducers? does the satyr invading sauromatia sneak into the stables and seduce the giant riding lizard as well?

It's probably more that the mount won't give a rat's rear end about which dear leader their rider follows.

It's not like animals are well-known for their nationalism

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yet some seek imperium of their own...

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

/checks username

Estarás contento con las nuevas naciones del juego! :)

That's Spanish, not Basque. It's not even Catalan. :colbert:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Larz posted:

Yes, I plan on creating it. Not sure how long it is going to take. Assuming they haven't changed all the values around for the various attributes I'm hopeful it won't be too long. I'm interested to see how they implement the new path of magic. Not sure if I'll spend more time doing this or playing Dom 6....

Now that we are talking of the Inspector. May I suggest a dark mode for the new version?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

Now that we are talking of the Inspector. May I suggest a dark mode for the new version?

Oh yeah, seconding this. During the last two years I had tons of eye surgeries, and for a lot of that time, looking at light backgrounds was pure torture. Most of my poo poo is set to dark mode nowadays since that makes my eyes less angry. I basically use the mod inspector in tiny increments, steeling myself up to look at maybe 3-4 things, then closing the tab again. Otherwise, bad things may happen.

Something like a dark mode would be a big help.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I am intrigued seeing those armor items giving +HP. If this is going be a standard sort of thing in Dom6 going forward (similar to the armor giving HP in Conquest of Elysium's newer versions), then I'm thinking that I'll have a lot more reason to consider armoring my regular commanders. Doesn't take a lot of extra hit points to make a human able to survive incidental arrows and one big damage cloud more reliably.

And it would be nice if I wasn't taking as much of a risk putting my officers into the formations they are allegedly leading.

Not sure if it will make a huge difference for thugging, but I am going to at least try knight commanders as a way to force someone to buy more PD on the periphery of their empire. Who knows how far these cavalry buffs might take us?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
For once, I have the day off when a game I'm really excited about comes out. I think I will try out Ys at first, to see whether they got any buffs at all. And to test out glamour magic, of course.

I already uninstalled Dominions 5.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I'm so keen I uninstalled Dom 5 a year ago.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I bought dom5 at launch but never played it

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

wow they added a lot of stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

For once, I have the day off when a game I'm really excited about comes out. I think I will try out Ys at first, to see whether they got any buffs at all. And to test out glamour magic, of course.

I already uninstalled Dominions 5.

Man, I wish I could. But I'm still in two games, and it doesn't look like they'll be over until February, maybe March.

But since Dominions-games are all incremental updates, they're the easiest old games to discard, ever. As soon as my current games are down, I'm uninstalling and then hiding the game in my Steam library.