Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Game is out. 44€
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511500/Dominions_6__Rise_of_the_Pantokrator/

HOWEVER. I could swear they said the game would have a discount at launch. Maybe they did something wrong.

also manuals
https://www.illwinter.com/dom6/docs.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Is this Dominions? It looks kinda good? Makes me nervous.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dominion't

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So all provinces start with 1 PD by default? Interesting.

Also, somehow the scales in all my provinces are trending towards Sloth 5(!), even though I took productivity scales on my pretender. Is that because I took an imprisoned pretender?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Torrannor posted:

Also, somehow the scales in all my provinces are trending towards Sloth 5(!), even though I took productivity scales on my pretender. Is that because I took an imprisoned pretender?

Uhhhh, what? Post a screenshot, keep a save in case it's worth reporting.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another thing to report, the workshop should be
https://steamcommunity.com/app/2511500/workshop/

but it doesn't work, it redirects to https://steamcommunity.com/app/2511500

Mu has to share the gift that is clowns.dm with the people!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

my dad posted:

Uhhhh, what? Post a screenshot, keep a save in case it's worth reporting.

Will do, it's affecting all my provinces.

Edit: What was the key to take in-game screenshots?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
On Steam? F12 I think.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I demand to know why this game doesnt have its on custom dashboard on the Steam Store page. Its a travesty.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Torrannor posted:

Will do, it's affecting all my provinces.

Edit: What was the key to take in-game screenshots?

The devs found the likely cause.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

my dad posted:

The devs found the likely cause.

Oh, where do you see that news? I've been playing around with the pretender designer for a bit, so I haven't continued that game.

With most elves losing air for glamour, there are a lot less air nations running around.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, I just have to say it's about time there was a Hoburg nation. Going to try either them or the Republic of Dog.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The game has now a more acceptable price.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Anyone know what the effect of stacking the Heroism bless is? If I stack it 5x is that a 250% increase to experience gain, or like a 750% one?

Pipski fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 17, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pipski posted:

Anyone know what the effect of stacking the Heroism bless is? If I stack it 5x is that a 250% increase to experience gain, or like a 750% one? (Also, I'm not quite sure why it's letting me stack 5 Heroisms and a Quiet Stride on a Crystal Soul pretender who only has 4 points in Glamour -- seems like a bug?)

I don't know how much Quiet Stride costs, but blesses work a bit differently now. Blesses have both a bless point cost, and a minimal level in a path to take. So heroism just requires your pretender to have glamour 1, but if you have a lot of bless points from taking other magic paths, you can sink all of those bless points into heroism while only having glamour 1. This is working as intended, as far as I can tell.

Turin Turambar posted:

The game has now a more acceptable price.

Do I get money back for buying it at full price?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I don't know how much Quiet Stride costs, but blesses work a bit differently now. Blesses have both a bless point cost, and a minimal level in a path to take. So heroism just requires your pretender to have glamour 1, but if you have a lot of bless points from taking other magic paths, you can sink all of those bless points into heroism while only having glamour 1. This is working as intended, as far as I can tell.

Do I get money back for buying it at full price?

Dunno. Can you refund it and buy it again? have you played more than 2 hours?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Steam also consider requests from people with >2 hour playing in this case you might well get it anyway. Since they said the discount was intended to be present at launch I think most people should refund (with a discount as the listed reason) and rebuy tbh.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I think I'll just eat the extra £5.70. It's fine. I'll live.

Besides which, don't mass refunds gently caress up the algo some? Not that Dominions had much hope of breakout success to begin with.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, it was just the new interface throwing me off, seems to be working okay. Got all excited thinking I had some kind of mega-bless.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I think I'll just eat the extra £5.70. It's fine. I'll live.

Besides which, don't mass refunds gently caress up the algo some? Not that Dominions had much hope of breakout success to begin with.

I'll be eating the extra bucks, too. I'm far over the 2 hours limit, and I'm frankly to lazy to put any work in here. Besides, some of that extra money goes to the devs, who definitely deserve it.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Did someone already note that thunder strike got a significant buff?
75% casting time. The AOE 10 2AN secondary effect was already really good at messing with enemy casting scripts, this will make it even better.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tuna-Fish posted:

75% casting time. The AOE 10 2AN secondary effect was already really good at messing with enemy casting scripts, this will make it even better.

Yeah, I noticed that. But there are a lot fewer good air mages around, so the buff is not as annoying as it could be. Also, the change to resistances is interesting. You get +10% resistance for every 5 resistance. Meaning a unit with 5 shock resist will negate 5 points of shock damage, and then resist 10% of the remaining damage. So presumably, a unit with 50 resistance is totally immune to damage of that type.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, I noticed that. But there are a lot fewer good air mages around, so the buff is not as annoying as it could be. Also, the change to resistances is interesting. You get +10% resistance for every 5 resistance. Meaning a unit with 5 shock resist will negate 5 points of shock damage, and then resist 10% of the remaining damage. So presumably, a unit with 50 resistance is totally immune to damage of that type.

Hopefully! There's a global that makes every mage catch fire when they try to cast a spell. 1 gem = 1 AN damage. Would be funny if your pretender goes down in flames after casting that 300 gems overcasted spell when it turns out there was some rest damage that still applied.

Fake edit:

:lol: I'm reading the manual right now, while I'm waiting for my refund to be approved. Turns out the devs were thinking of making a space 4x game instead of Dominions at one point. Now that would have been a weird alternate history! :allears:

edit:

Huh. So they later got back and started actually developing a Space 4x. Some of their ideas look neat, like the approach of needing to spool up specific factories to efficiently build your new spaceships. To discourage players from constantly redesigning their ships. That's fairly realistic imho, IRL military gear also needs factory lines to be retooled before you can spool up production.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 17, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Torrannor posted:

The resist change isn't very impactful here, because the good part of the spell is just 2AN, so any resistance is probably enough, as it used to be.

A lot of the other evocation spells have also had their cast time cut, but most of the ones with large AOE have not.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any decent youtube primers for folks who've never played? The first two I found were awful.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

Almost all evo spells got that buff. Faster evocation magic by default.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Is there really no way to remote search underwater provinces for glamor? I mean, I Morgen Sorceresses are native G3, so it's not a huge deal, but it's a bit annoying right now.

That sloth bug is much more annoying, since I want to try out my Morvarc'h Knights with the new blesses, and right now I have just enough resources to recruit one per turn :cry:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Libluini posted:

Huh. So they later got back and started actually developing a Space 4x. Some of their ideas look neat, like the approach of needing to spool up specific factories to efficiently build your new spaceships. To discourage players from constantly redesigning their ships. That's fairly realistic imho, IRL military gear also needs factory lines to be retooled before you can spool up production.
Aurora 4x does this to some degree. You have to specify the tooling for individual shipyards, and building ship classes outside of that tooling doesn't work as efficiently, or at all if they're far enough apart.

Edit: There's already been at least one patch today, fwiw.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Almost all evo spells got that buff. Faster evocation magic by default.

Falling fires and frost didn't, which were the only ones I compared to. It seems like most of the others did.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Elendil004 posted:

Any decent youtube primers for folks who've never played? The first two I found were awful.

I thought this one seemed pretty good. It was big on explaining what the player was doing, but didn't get a second episode (yet).

Libluini posted:

So would a Dominions developers space 4x be basically Aurora with pixel graphics?

Because actually that sounds pretty awesome.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 17, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

Aurora 4x does this to some degree. You have to specify the tooling for individual shipyards, and building ship classes outside of that tooling doesn't work as efficiently, or at all if they're far enough apart.

Edit: There's already been at least one patch today, fwiw.

Yeah, but I trust the Dominions dev would have made a less overwhelming system -they're not above cutting major features if they think it's bad for the game.

Bremen posted:

I thought this one seemed pretty good. It was big on explaining what the player was doing, but didn't get a second episode (yet).

So would a Dominions developers space 4x be basically Aurora with pixel graphics?

Because actually that sounds pretty awesome.

Possibly. Ironically, Master of Orion 2 discouraged them for a couple years and delayed start of development (because MO2 already had a lot of what they wanted in a space 4x), otherwise the game would have been out already.

But the devs say in their manual that they keep going back to tinker and add stuff to both their space game and the fantasy trade simulation Taint and Trade, so it's not impossible we eventually get to see a Dominions Aurealis.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Huh. It's a glamour item now, and it's no longer dangerous to the wielder. In fact, it's AoE no longer affects any friendly units!

edit:

A new dome for perfect safety, even allowing friendly spells to get through. But it's only good against seven attacks, and kills it's caster after it's broken.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 17, 2024

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Torrannor posted:

and kills it's caster after it's broken.

I think you missed the "or" there. It's just a normal ritual that ends when caster dies.

But yeah, given all the added potential for fuckery, that seems like a decent spell. Bit high up on research, though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tuna-Fish posted:

I think you missed the "or" there. It's just a normal ritual that ends when caster dies.

But yeah, given all the added potential for fuckery, that seems like a decent spell. Bit high up on research, though.

You're right, that makes it quite a bit better. Certainly something to think about if somebody is sinking your provinces under the sea.

Speaking of which, at least now we have a tool to deal with water nations hiding beneath the waves and doing stuff like casting Burden of Time with their long lived mages.

This will kill all underwater populations, and will be much less severe for land provinces. That's cool.

I've also noticed that there's at least one new Throne of Ascension.

Also, I seem unable to load a created pretender when choosing a nation to play, does anybody else have the same problem?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You need to press CTRL+L

Unless you're doing a Trinity pretender in which case it won't pull all the names and you'll end up with 2 boring default names and one funny name that you entered

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Better script your blood hunters, the commoners are getting grumpy.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

sullat posted:

Better script your blood hunters, the commoners are getting grumpy.

I just lost my assassin to this. Wanted to kill a commander, the assassin attacked in a bar. Instead of going for his target, the assassin stabbed a random woman in the head, then her pissed off husband ran from behind and killed my assassin.

While I like the new theming of this, it definitely weakens any assassin unit that isn't mildly overpowered.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I've been doing tests against the AI for the last hours to try to judge how it is now, and i guess it's marginally better in some edge stuff, but at the core competencies it seems as bad as before: it seems to have the same awful army evaluation power (so bad that I suspect... there is no army evaluation in the first place, who knows if it uses a freaking DRN to know if to attack with a tiny army or wait until it has more troops), with the --comptrn parameter I could see what the hell it was doing, and it ironically uses too much % of its income in research corps, hiring just more national troops and having better expansion with them and have something to win decisive battles in the mid game would be better for them (and what's the point of having a big mage corp in the capital, if the AI later don't accompany his armies with enough mages so it can't exploit that research, never mind that the AI won't use magic as well as a human), their Pretender design is basically random, with heavy blesses in scales friendly nations, and without recruiting enough sacreds despite the heavy bless!.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Donkringel posted:

I just lost my assassin to this. Wanted to kill a commander, the assassin attacked in a bar. Instead of going for his target, the assassin stabbed a random woman in the head, then her pissed off husband ran from behind and killed my assassin.

While I like the new theming of this, it definitely weakens any assassin unit that isn't mildly overpowered.

It's hilarious that a trained assassin would just give in to intrusive thoughts and just start stabbing the closest bystander rather than going after their actual target. There should be a scripting option or trait for suicidal assassins that go after their target over all others unless it becomes physically impossible, to the point of trying to move past bodyguards to get at their intended victim.

This casual murder is a lot more fun though, even if it does impact the effectiveness of most assassin units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Mods are not supported for lobby games