Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

I do agree with you btw, just that I really doubt the nfl is going to learn anything beyond "new shiny qb better than old busted qb".

Fans can put their hopes in this new qb who will lead the team to the promised land, coaches get a scapegoat if things don't work out, owners want a face of the franchise. There's so much momentum on rookie qbs being thrown to the wolves instead of letting them sit and learn or even just putting enough pieces around them to guarantee some success.

There's also the cost effectiveness, but I'm wondering how much that will weigh as the veteran QB market depresses. I long for a world where Andy Dalton starts the season QB1 once again, but I don't think it happens.

There just aren't as many elite rookie QBs as there are teams willing to burn draft picks to select them. There never will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

My girlfriend got very excited because she found this on TikTok and I’d never seen it.

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRcpCfgr/

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Tua looked like poo poo because the game planned called for a thousand passes behind the LOS against a defense that was expecting and ready for them. McDaniel looks like an idiot.

In his defense Tua could not throw the ball last night. Even his touchdown was a duck

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is funny that they want to move on because Tua isn’t clutch so they land on Kirk Cousins

Kirk's good as long as the sun is out!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Kirk Cousins is fine. He’s nothing terribly special but he will but up decent numbers but here is the issue, so will Tua.

So what exactly do you upgrade here?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tua was better last season. I hope maybe a year removed from the concussions and god willing an improvement to the interior Oline he will be willing to make that extra read and get back to that level.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kirk Cousins is fine. He’s nothing terribly special but he will but up decent numbers but here is the issue, so will Tua.

So what exactly do you upgrade here?

You simply draft the next CJ Stroud, I'm surprised more teams don't draft CJ Strouds to be honest.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Fields is too cool for the fins.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Tua looked like poo poo because the game planned called for a thousand passes behind the LOS against a defense that was expecting and ready for them. McDaniel looks like an idiot.

hmm, maybe they're both poo poo

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Honestly just a hypothetical, if they did let Tua go who would try and jump on him?

Denver maybe?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
What little I was able to catch of the Chiefs/Dolphins game was watching Tua throw just outside the reach of his receivers when they were screens. I should note I do think the Dolphins WR's were a touch slower too so IMO McDaniels had a gameplan that was not suited for the weather or the team didn't practice for it.

As much as I would love to see the Steelers beat the Bills for the :sickos: it means the Chiefs get to host another home game.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

Honestly just a hypothetical, if they did let Tua go who would try and jump on him?

Denver maybe?

Off the top of my head, Chicago, Washington, New England, Tennessee, Atlanta, Minnesota, Tampa.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If Tia is a younger Cousins Minnesota should take him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tua is great when he can just throw to a spot down the field 1s after the snap and a receiver just happens to be fast enough to run there before anyone else. He’s one of the best in the league when that’s all that is asked of him.

Last night the phins needed a lot more and he wasn’t capable of giving it to them. How much of that is playcalling or qb performance is an open question.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gonna guess a little of column A and B on that.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Miami should have thrown to their running backs more, KC struggles defending that and the Phins RBs seem very good with the ball in the open field

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

The one good play they had was a duck Eli Manning would have been proud of

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Eli to Plaxico for like 150 yards in -30 weather with Plax on a bum ankle while matched one on one against a pro bowl cornerback.

Maybe Hill and Tua are just soft?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The dolphins are by inspection the warmest weather team possible so it's not too surprising

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
When Miami was good, the CGs were at the end of December, before winter really kicks in.

It's not a surprise that now that the season runs into the heart of winter, Miami melts.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay sure I guess but you have to do something about that or the Dolphins fate for the next few years is 9-8 to 11-6, a wild card berth and knocked out in the first round.

Are they satisfied with that?

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

A really good and compelling question

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Kirios posted:

Are they satisfied with that?

I don’t know for sure

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
If the Dolphins beat good teams in the regular season then perhaps they'd have some home playoff games?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Black Sunshine posted:

If the Dolphins beat good teams in the regular season then perhaps they'd have some home playoff games?

Or just the Titans.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Miami twice had an opportunity to win at home and host a playoff game and lost, weather doesn't have anything to do with it.

If the weather was better last night would they have played better? Yeah, probably. But it would be them scoring two TDs instead of one and the chiefs probably would have scored an extra 3 TDs as well

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://x.com/nfl_memes/status/1746394084028068240?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think the Dolphins were a pretty good team with an absolutely horrible game plan last night. Maybe intimidated by the weather as far as the game plan went. And a busted up Tyreek and Waddle which really is what runs that offense, so that didn't help.

They got away from the run almost totally other than one drive (where it was kinda working), used a short passing game in replacement of of a running game and....well never did anything else. So the Chiefs who actually have a decent defense were just downhill on them blowing those plays up all night.

You can blame Tua if you want, he wasn't great and that one pick was downright awful, but McDaniel lost this game to me.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
There was a play in the early game where some defender did a full break dance move on top of a quarterback can someone link it, I forget all the other details

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Not the worst look MJD's given a guy using his laptop.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The Dolphins lost this game the moment they no showed against the Bills, but the fact they lost to the Titans before that is the most damning thing

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Pron on VHS posted:

There was a play in the early game where some defender did a full break dance move on top of a quarterback can someone link it, I forget all the other details

It was posted in the N/V thread:

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I like to call it the Weeeeeee tackle

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
I feel like Tua is going to get north of $40m (probably $45m AAV) on his next contract. QB’s are stupidly expensive and everybody needs one if they want an honest shot at the Super Bowl. Murray got a huge contract, even Daniel fuckin Jones got a huge contract. Can you really bank on hoping you can be the team that lands Cousins and he gives you a discount? Seems rather pie in the sky.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

b0ng posted:

I feel like Tua is going to get north of $40m (probably $45m AAV) on his next contract. QB’s are stupidly expensive and everybody needs one if they want an honest shot at the Super Bowl. Murray got a huge contract, even Daniel fuckin Jones got a huge contract. Can you really bank on hoping you can be the team that lands Cousins and he gives you a discount? Seems rather pie in the sky.

I don't think Miami is gonna make any moves at the QB this off-season, but they also aren't going to give Tua a contract yet. He's under contract for the 5th year option for $23 million, so 2024 is basically going to be a prove it year for Tua. If they can improve and win a playoff game, he'll get a big contract. If not, Miami can either give him a cheaper or shorter contract (like a 3 or 4 year $40 mil/yr), or go with whatever plan B is available for 2025 (whether its a trade, free agent, or draft).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Why would any QB worth anything except less than 40 mil AAV after the Daniel Jones contract?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Tua's gonna be the next QB for the Vikings mark my words

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

i wonder if Tua would hold out for a contract. seems like too nice a guy to do that but it'd be funny

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You guys are wild if you think they won’t re-sign Tua and go back to the QB roulette table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodoze posted:

The Dolphins lost this game the moment they no showed against the Bills, but the fact they lost to the Titans before that is the most damning thing
That Titans game ended up being the entire season. If they don't blow that game, they win the division and that Bills game last week doesn't matter either way. Then they would have been playing their first playoff game at home and not in a deep freezer.

This is I think a good example of the problems with Tua. He's great when he has time, but if he gets hurried he just becomes a bad QB.

https://twitter.com/PFF_RyanSmith/status/1746586675579339163?s=20