Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

All of the ads I get on Facebook are for some disease that gives you a small curved bumpy penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

So this thread made me just go on FB for the first time in forever. I had to look up my password to do it. The only real people are like 60+ year old family posting news clips. Everything else is like the bottom tier trash of the internet. There was some nail fungus ad that had a pair of gross feet photoshopped to look so horrible that it was physically revolting. A bunch of scams. And… freakin Avril Levine what does she look like now!?!! Is Avril somehow the key to all this?

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Tree Bucket posted:

There is at least one group for fun photos of birds doing dumb things which has been completely swamped with AI-generated rubbish. I guess it's a sort of self-reinforcing loop where people with no interest in AI goop stop posting, and those that find it thrilling and fun keep encouraging it.
An interesting sort-of-related effect in the world of bird photography is people "adjusting" or "colour balancing" their photos to the point where they cease to resemble any actual species. Guys, if you've made an Australian magpie look anything other than solely black and white, there's some egregious photoshoppery going on. Stop upvoting the peacock corvids. It's kinda pretty but it's not real. Surely that matters, right?

Somebody - probably over in the Reddit thread - pointed out that once an internet group grows past a certain size the motivation of the posting shifts from sharing accurate information to feeling good. Birds are pretty; birds that are practically neon are prettier, especially to people who don’t know poo poo about actual birds, so the upvotes/likes/dopamine strokes win. The real birds matter to you, and to lots of others but internet people who wandered in because they want to see pretty birds and care less about details like “accuracy” or “tenable possibilities in nature” outnumber you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

There is at least one group for fun photos of birds doing dumb things which has been completely swamped with AI-generated rubbish. I guess it's a sort of self-reinforcing loop where people with no interest in AI goop stop posting, and those that find it thrilling and fun keep encouraging it.
An interesting sort-of-related effect in the world of bird photography is people "adjusting" or "colour balancing" their photos to the point where they cease to resemble any actual species. Guys, if you've made an Australian magpie look anything other than solely black and white, there's some egregious photoshoppery going on. Stop upvoting the peacock corvids. It's kinda pretty but it's not real. Surely that matters, right?

i would guess it depends on the context of the group? if you were talking about a serious bird photography group that would be one thing, but a group called "birds doing dumb things" just sounds like the name of a silly meme group, in which case no it i don't really get why it matters how real the birds are :confused:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i mainly use fb to stay in touch with a few old friends and relatives but i am in in two groups. both boomery but neither taken over by AI crap yet. one is for Far Side comics, which does get occasional people trying to pass off some right wing garbage as a far side comic but its rare. one is for fans of the author John LeCarre, which is just a normal discussion group but we did have to form a second password-protected group because the initial one was taken over by spammers trying to sell couches and no one had the admin keys to get rid of them. its amazing how poorly run the whole thing is

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Earwicker posted:

i would guess it depends on the context of the group? if you were talking about a serious bird photography group that would be one thing, but a group called "birds doing dumb things" just sounds like the name of a silly meme group, in which case no it i don't really get why it matters how real the birds are :confused:

Sorry, should have specified, they're two seperate groups. The dumb meme group is ruined by AI bilge and the srs photography group is, well, increasingly hosting the dreaded neon raven. (Very much a minority, but a growing one)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

W424 posted:

The only reason I still have an fb account is for managing couple of band pages, liking my gf's posts about knitting socks and messenger. Last year I got permanently blocked from paying for ads (only way to get anyone to see your posts on a band page, otherwise its just 2% of your followers). Still no idea why, cant give fb money even if I wanted to lmao & lol.

I got into a paid facebook trial for using their advertising system, and they banned me one week in so all my feedback was "yep still banned, no idea why".

They still paid me at least

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

W424 posted:

The only reason I still have an fb account is for managing couple of band pages, liking my gf's posts about knitting socks and messenger. Last year I got permanently blocked from paying for ads (only way to get anyone to see your posts on a band page, otherwise its just 2% of your followers). Still no idea why, cant give fb money even if I wanted to lmao & lol.

i also run a band page on fb but i stopped paying for ads a long time ago because half the time the targetting is all hosed up and a ton of the views you get are bot accounts in indonesia and its a waste of money anyway. i just update it with news every now and again and otherwise leave it alone

i never really look at the fb pages of bands i actually listen to or anything, i get news from them on ig or bandcamp or their web pages, so i dont think its a super essential thing anyway

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
This thread makes me imagine a gamma ray burst from a supernova wiping out humanity, leaving billions of bots shooting messages to each other while the powerplants run down one by one.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 17, 2024

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That High Life group is really great. Thanks guys. This is the kind of free therapy I can use.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I joined the Miller High Life Lovers facebook group because it looks funny, and it totally is.

What a great recommendation

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Here's a couple examples of the weird fetishy stuff that I don't feel the need to spoiler, at least. No, on second thought I'm going to spoiler the flight attendant one that's first:

The visible replies to these appear to be from guys who do not realize this is all AI crap. And who are very, very thirsty.

drat that's awful do you have any more examples

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

pencilhands posted:

All of the ads I get on Facebook are for some disease that gives you a small curved bumpy penis

probably cuz u have this disease op. it knows

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Tree Bucket posted:

This thread makes me imagine a gamma ray burst from a supernova wiping out humanity, leaving billions of bots shooting messages to each other while the powerplants run down one by one.

this is a cool thought

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

Sorry, should have specified, they're two seperate groups. The dumb meme group is ruined by AI bilge and the srs photography group is, well, increasingly hosting the dreaded neon raven. (Very much a minority, but a growing one)

Post the neon raven already!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know how but my Facebook experience is still tolerable. Lots of real people still posting stuff regularly and I mostly get recommended stuff that I'm somewhat interested in. Maybe it helps that I'm in the original age group from back when Facebook was only accessible if you had an active college email address and a lot of us just stuck with it. FB Messenger is the primary form of communication for my family and most people I know.

It's still a shell of its former self though. I actually miss when people posted about their lives, their opinions, recommendations, etc. Nowadays it's just 90% tired meme sharing.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Society is slowly learning just because you can share every thought doesn’t mean you should.

on top of that no matter what your opinion is someone will accuse you of untold atrocities because you expressed sympathy for one group but not another. 24/7 access to world events is not making us smarter just angrier.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Also Facebook took privacy invasion too far and by the like ninth revelation that zuckerberg personally extrapolates every aspect of your personality based on your status updates, everyone stopped posting about their lives because they’re creeped out

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Thesaurus posted:

Post the neon raven already!

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I had debated getting on Facebook as some way to reconnect to some people, use marketplace, and maybe somehow figure out what the hell is going on irl around me, but idk.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

who doesn’t occasionally wonder what it would be like to repeatedly slam their titties in a car door? freud called this the “death drive”

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

emSparkly posted:

I had debated getting on Facebook as some way to reconnect to some people, use marketplace, and maybe somehow figure out what the hell is going on irl around me, but idk.

It’s a trap!

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
I did several months of research before buying a car this spring, and now facebook serves me nothing but EV articles with tons of laughing emojis in the comments. There are a TON of boomers who spend hours arguing about EVs on facebook, its a booming industry.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
FB is passible if you just don't engage with a bunch of the stuff.
gently caress the timeline posts and poo poo.
I use it to keep track of local events and shows.. I prefer to use it to organize my own events because the only other populated alternative is Discord.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Facebook is great for hobbies. If you're into hifi gear or analog photography it's where everyone trades gear, but they don't use marketplace just posts in group to make sure you've got not bots.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

What a great recommendation

Hell yeah

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Blue checkmarks are Musk Chuds on X, right?

hold hands at the park
Apr 12, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

I love this. Where is the like button? Too bad I'm not on Facebook.

I like how facebook automatically selects the "Most Relevant" option when you're reading a thread, that way you miss key comments and bits of information, allowing you to make much more informed replies. It kinda mimics the chaos of a lively group conversation in real life.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I just found the dumbest poo poo on FB. It's like the Mexican Dhar Mann.

It's pretty much the story of a woman setting up a special ED teacher because she feels threatened by her, so she can win points with her boyfriend/boss. It's really gross and weird.

https://www.facebook.com/Anerielanem/videos/688315890105290/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
This is another one of those situations where I see a strange inexplicably bizarre thing but it's actually just a simple fetish isn't it