Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah, the True Detective vibe is relentlessly mundane and quotidian until it isn't, not here's a series of craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Well aside from a handful of other annoying problems I need to mention the artificial, over-polished green screen look to everything. I'm guessing they did not film much in Alaska, or with the actors outdoors...anywhere.

That or they botched the aesthetic

e: well I guess they spent millions filming in Iceland

Mokelumne Trekka fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 16, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Danger posted:

How much of that is explained by this originally being some other completely novel script treatment they shoehorned into the True Detective brand?

Some, not all. I think the True Detective brand has always been a 'you know it when you see it' oddity based largely on the first season - after all the showrunner himself clearly wanted to get away from the supernatural elements in S2, figured the key ingredients were complicated conspiracies, hardboiled adult themes and stagey dialogue, was understandably mocked for the resulting season, and audiences have never been able to agree since then on exactly how much uncanniness there should ideally be.

It's also a show that's had previous success mingling human drama with genre pulp, which can make it hard to unpick what feels suitable and what doesn't What's the difference between the horror cliche of a kid blankly composing scary drawings, the horror cliche of a shivering man with his back to the audience who turns abruptly, and the horror cliches of Errol's Texas Chainsaw Massacre house from Season 1? Buildup and atmospherics, mostly.

But even bearing in mind that the treatment was an original concept to begin with, it does feel remarkable that nobody in production stopped to say, 'Wait, this show's first episodes usually have the detective examining the eerie aftermath of something terrible that happened completely offscreen, as opposed to a spooky stinger that shows the victims directly being terrorised, isn't there a reason for that?'

To me that smacks of insecurity rather than laziness in adapting the script, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Obviously this is not anywhere near the level of season 1, but the premise and atmosphere has intrigued me more than S2 and S3 for sure. I hope they just go full supernatural, TBH - while I thought it was decent, the writing isn't exactly strong enough to be able to pull off pure existential dread so I'd rather just have a cool monster?

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Well aside from a handful of other annoying problems I need to mention the artificial, over-polished green screen look to everything. I'm guessing they did not film much in Alaska, or with the actors outdoors...anywhere.

That or they botched the aesthetic

e: well I guess they spent millions filming in Iceland

I found this off-putting myself. The Alaska setting dose a lot for me but the pace felt too fast so nothing got time to breathe.

I think it is a weak start compared to the other three season openers but decent overall.

The extremely online people are already gathering around the show so the discourse will go to absolute poo poo.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

it was a few too many spooky moments up front for sure. you didn't have time to dwell on anything and none of the strange occurences felt connected to the others, so it all felt a bit like writers throwing in a lot of threads they'll figure out later.

i thought the research station looked like a cool setting for a survival horror game though. when danvers arrives alone midway through the episode it felt like gameplay should be about to begin.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'll always be a TD 'all seasons rule especially 1&2' Stan but this feels like a last ever season dash. Until the reboot in twenty years.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why on earth did the son cop have to skulk around secretly to take the documents from the dad cop even though the police chief had told him to go get the documents? They aren't his documents. They're both cops. Why was this a point of tension

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Hakkesshu posted:

Why on earth did the son cop have to skulk around secretly to take the documents from the dad cop even though the police chief had told him to go get the documents? They aren't his documents. They're both cops. Why was this a point of tension

it was weird but i think it's been made clear we're supposed to suspect/dislike his dad, so maybe more will be revealed on that

grobbo
May 29, 2014

roomtone posted:

it was weird but i think it's been made clear we're supposed to suspect/dislike his dad, so maybe more will be revealed on that

I think this is it, but the show does also seem to undermine the stakes of the clash by casting John Hawkes and his gentle eyes and then having Danvers run rings around him / crack constant jokes at his expense throughout the episode, which gives the impression that she could just go around to his house and get the boxes herself with zero trouble.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 16, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

grobbo posted:

I think this is it, but the show does also seem to undermine the stakes of the clash by casting John Hawkes and his gentle eyes and then having Danvers run rings around him / crack constant jokes at his expense throughout the episode.

He will probably have his moment of redemption when he decides to work against the oil company after being their man on the inside for 20 years or whatever it will be.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Hakkesshu posted:

Places far from civilization are far from civilization. Normally insubordination would get you replaced or some bigger patrolmen would show up and take the records from him. In a mining town in Alaska there is no one to replace him and no backup.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Places far from civilization are far from civilization. Normally insubordination would get you replaced or some bigger patrolmen would show up and take the records from him. In a mining town in Alaska there is no one to replace him and no backup.

Not sure I get you. He didn't seem to give a poo poo about the documents when asked about them at the police station where he had to be reminded that he even had them at his house. If there's some ulterior motive or if he's a bad person they did a really bad job of making it seem that way instead of him just being kind of a dumb/lazy cop, like when he was looking at his phone during the investigation.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The impression I have is that Prior senior was either demoted in favor of Danvers or was passed over for promotion to chief in favor of Danvers, and as a result has a problem cooperating with the new chief.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

first thing i thought when he was looking at his phone and apparently not listening was he's texting his murder buddies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

joepinetree posted:

The impression I have is that Prior senior was either demoted in favor of Danvers or was passed over for promotion to chief in favor of Danvers, and as a result has a problem cooperating with the new chief.

Yeah, that was the vibe I got from him. There's some kind of history between them that makes it so that he doesn't respect her and/or thinks he knows better. Like the thing with him letting the drunk lady out.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I'm migrating to this thread:

Bright Bart posted:

Just finished the premiere ten minutes ago. I'm not sure what I watched.

It definitely feels like a True Detective show. Well, not all of it actually; the beginning before the credits was like a mid-budget film in the vein of Invisible Man or something. They even had that shot where someone runs past the camera so fast and so close to it that you can't tell what they look like. The rest also deviates somewhat from the pattern. Supernatural elements being hinted at and even (ambiguously) present are something that TD is known for, mostly for the first season. But here we have every other character hallucinating or briefly stepping into another world (although hallucinations are not supernatural I don't think that's what they're meant to be.) Lights flickering on and off at times that punctuate the drama is a bold choice too. I'll see where this goes.

Final thoughts:
  • I can handle the detail that ties the case together being the missing eye. It'd be better than a throwaway like '16 not 15'.
  • The relationship between Hank and Jody Foster is something I hope develops, and is revealed to be more than just that she was his subordinate but was promoted ahead of him and he's not cool with this.
  • Kate was mentioned. I hope she's the badass interesting character of the season. Even though she's likely not the one responsible for the deaths because having the presumable mining boss be the baddie is something lesser show do.
  • The ending was the best part. Especially if those guys aren't from the station.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

grobbo posted:

Some, not all. I think the True Detective brand has always been a 'you know it when you see it' oddity based largely on the first season - after all the showrunner himself clearly wanted to get away from the supernatural elements in S2, figured the key ingredients were complicated conspiracies, hardboiled adult themes and stagey dialogue, was understandably mocked for the resulting season, and audiences have never been able to agree since then on exactly how much uncanniness there should ideally be.

It's also a show that's had previous success mingling human drama with genre pulp, which can make it hard to unpick what feels suitable and what doesn't What's the difference between the horror cliche of a kid blankly composing scary drawings, the horror cliche of a shivering man with his back to the audience who turns abruptly, and the horror cliches of Errol's Texas Chainsaw Massacre house from Season 1? Buildup and atmospherics, mostly.

But even bearing in mind that the treatment was an original concept to begin with, it does feel remarkable that nobody in production stopped to say, 'Wait, this show's first episodes usually have the detective examining the eerie aftermath of something terrible that happened completely offscreen, as opposed to a spooky stinger that shows the victims directly being terrorised, isn't there a reason for that?'

To me that smacks of insecurity rather than laziness in adapting the script, though.

Season 2 rules actually

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Danger posted:

Season 2 rules actually

Yeah I’m glad people have been coming around on Season 2.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I’m glad people have been coming around on Season 2.

I didn't dislike Season 2 because people were saying it's bad. I didn't know they were. I disliked it because I thought it was meh and not just compared to the first season. I could watch it again if I somehow needed to for some obscure reason, but I doubt I'd see its brilliance a second time around.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bright Bart posted:

I didn't dislike Season 2 because people were saying it's bad. I didn't know they were. I disliked it because I thought it was meh and not just compared to the first season. I could watch it again if I somehow needed to for some obscure reason, but I doubt I'd see its brilliance a second time around.

I think it’s pretty worth going back to imo. I think it goes over a lot of the themes of the first season in a different way without completely rejecting the first season and I think Vaughn and Ferral are both really great in the show.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The_Rob posted:

I think it’s pretty worth going back to imo. I think it goes over a lot of the themes of the first season in a different way without completely rejecting the first season and I think Vaughn and Ferral are both really great in the show.

Not saying there weren't nice touches. Or that I'll never watch it again. But I don't feel the urge to do so and while I believe you when you say you see something really cool in all of it, and that it exists, I don't think I'll see it.

Ferrell was the man that season. Maybe a bit too gritty. But giving him a shy, nerdy son? One who's stepfather actually seems to love and care for him? That's unexpected in a sweet way. And sets up the best shot, which is Ferrell drinking cough syrup in his car before going out to pummel a bully's dad.

Vaughn just plays Idris Elba in The Wire in reverse.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Season 2 was great to watch live while everyone was talking about it and making up greentext monologues of VV's dialogue. I've been meaning to rewatch it at some point but I'm worried it won't hold up without that same social element (like if you watched LOST for the first time starting today).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wouldn't have enjoyed season one as much if I hadn't had the SA thread to read as I went through the episodes. It made the experience way more fun to see what people were theorizing about week-to-week. It never even occurred to me that there would be any genuine lovecraft god stuff at all.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
My partner and I were cautiously optimistic until we reached the interpretive dance wendigo that pointed to the bodies. I was honestly kinda hoping for "Wind River" but with additional spooks; this seems like it's going to have some trite way to hand wave away some of the mystery that they presented, but there's still plenty of time to be proven wrong.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The story of season 1 is kind of mid. And the first episode was only decent for that season. But the cinematography was out of this world and the acting was amazing for every single role. I think it wasn't until episode 4 or 5 that I went from "this is a good show" to "this is an all time great season of television."

So at least for me its a bit too early to form an opinion on this season. It made me think more than once of the x files episode, so this season has that extra layer of difficulty. The critics I generally trust who received screeners seemed to really like it, so I am optmistic.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I wouldn't have enjoyed season one as much if I hadn't had the SA thread to read as I went through the episodes. It made the experience way more fun to see what people were theorizing about week-to-week. It never even occurred to me that there would be any genuine lovecraft god stuff at all.

Same. Watching it with goons was a singular experience and helped cement it as my TV nirvana experience. Not sure if anything will ever be able to match it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I remember watching the finale slightly drunk, so when Rust walked through into the overgrown area of 'Carcosa', I thought he actually had stepped into another world and I was loving buzzing with excitement.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Bright Bart posted:

This is a good take from another former goon

https://x.com/ghoststoriesend/status/1746962748716544016?s=46

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Russian Remoulade posted:

My partner and I were cautiously optimistic until we reached the interpretive dance wendigo that pointed to the bodies. I was honestly kinda hoping for "Wind River" but with additional spooks; this seems like it's going to have some trite way to hand wave away some of the mystery that they presented, but there's still plenty of time to be proven wrong.

What? That was literally the best part.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Travis' dance was indeed the best part. A lot depends on whether or how Travis is explained by the end, but I would like more Travis.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

season 2 had an incredible series of posts written about it on reddit, which have unfortunately all been deleted and lost to time. there remains some deep dives on the net: i.e.https://web.archive.org/web/20170321173359/https://zircillius.com/2015/08/23/true-detective-season-2-review-the-dead-puppet-factory/ but yeah, s2 goes a hell of a lot deeper than ppl give it credit for imho. lots of william burroughs in it. (Cities of the Red Night is a fantastic book/trilogy and s2 takes a lot from it).
e: here's a good one citing greek tragedies as the template for s2: https://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/3hbnrn/season_2_the_greek_tragedy_aspect_isnt_talked/?onetap_auto=true&one_tap=true

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 16, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I AM GRANDO posted:

Travis' dance was indeed the best part. A lot depends on whether or how Travis is explained by the end, but I would like more Travis.

If this was Twin Peaks, it would've been the best part.

A lot of pre-existing expectations are playing into the overall response right now.

But man, we're not in the hands of David Lynch right now. We're in season 4 of a formerly respected and then disgraced and then kinda redeemed serial led by many different people. There's nothing to trust.

So in isolation, the corpse dance was cool I agree, but in context - we'll see.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

roomtone posted:

If this was Twin Peaks, it would've been the best part.

A lot of pre-existing expectations are playing into the overall response right now.

But man, we're not in the hands of David Lynch right now. We're in season 4 of a formerly respected and then disgraced and then kinda redeemed serial led by many different people. There's nothing to trust.

So in isolation, the corpse dance was cool I agree, but in context - we'll see.

How was it disgraced lol?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Good: setting

Bad: intro omg billie eilish cmon

The music wasn't half bad op. The series themselves have had some great music in the past. This season is different and sometimes that is okay too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You guys keep bringing up past seasons as if anyone involved is present here. It's just a brand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I really liked the first episode. This and fargo have been some really solid tv that has been missing for a while.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Is this True Detective canon or is it a what if/legends story? No there’s no real distinction but my enjoyment is hinged upon it

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Season 4 is canon, previous seasons are whatifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The young readers' novel Rust's Adventure mentions an arctic research station where his father was stationed during World War II. I bet the writers are using the novel for material even if it's not technically canon.