Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

roomtone posted:

If this was Twin Peaks, it would've been the best part.

A lot of pre-existing expectations are playing into the overall response right now.

But man, we're not in the hands of David Lynch right now. We're in season 4 of a formerly respected and then disgraced and then kinda redeemed serial led by many different people. There's nothing to trust.

So in isolation, the corpse dance was cool I agree, but in context - we'll see.

It's an original story that was purchased to be run under the True Detective banner. If you believe the promotional interviews given by the writer/director, she was still drafting and made some adjustments to make it thematically consistent with the first season, but I would rather that didn't happen and the studio just mandated that there be some ambiguous visual connections. It is the first time since the first season that every episode is written and directed by one person, and here the writer and director are the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
“World building” had absolutely ruined fiction

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Lol really wasn't expecting the opening scene of a True Detective season to be a bunch of bad looking CGI deer

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

You guys keep bringing up past seasons as if anyone involved is present here. It's just a brand.

I mean, that sucks rear end.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I mean, that sucks rear end.

It's dumb, but I just mean this should be regarded in context as just the latest HBO prestige murder mystery miniseries rather than part of True Detective, because Nic Pizzolatto is True Detective, for better or for worse.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's dumb, but I just mean this should be regarded in context as just the latest HBO prestige murder mystery miniseries rather than part of True Detective, because Nic Pizzolatto is True Detective, for better or for worse.

But with it having the True Detective name I think it’s totally fair to judge it on previous True Detectives.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Danger posted:

How was it disgraced lol?

uhh by being disparaged heavily for like 8 years due to a hilarious season 2 that still gets quoted as examples of funny overwriting

by anti-nuking what was pretty nuclear hype from s1 which was pretty much peak to is that show still on?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
S2 is really good though.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Season one is extremely good and the other two seasons are perfectly serviceable. Pizzolatto had one detective show masterpiece in him, and that’s more than most people. Maybe his Blade script will be his next masterpiece.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Season 1 is probably my favorite season of television though I will admit I’ve never rewatched it.

Season 2 was meh as hell and I’m kind of surprised to see people really liked it but good for them!

Season 3 was pretty solid but it was mostly on the back of the first 2 episodes and then Ali carrying the show.

I really liked this episode. Even the first 10 minutes, get as weird as you want TD!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure sometime after season 2 he admitted that he only did it because of HBO exec pressure for more True Detective. So while season 1 was made after years of effort season 2 just got kind of thrown together.

I'm assuming HBO wants to turn True Detective into like a creator forward crime anthology. This season just has to deal with the fallout of the transition.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Season 2 was bad but in a comically entertaining kind of way. I hardly remember anything about Season 3 though, boring as poo poo. Will Season 4 be a masterpiece like Season 1? After episode 1, I can confidently say no. Will it be better than seasons 2 and 3? Probably.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gresh posted:

Season 2 was bad but in a comically entertaining kind of way. I hardly remember anything about Season 3 though, boring as poo poo. Will Season 4 be a masterpiece like Season 1? After episode 1, I can confidently say no. Will it be better than seasons 2 and 3? Probably.

Season 2 is good

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Season 3 was kinda boring and season 2 was bad but in an entertaining way

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the eyes wide shut episode from season 2 is really good

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I throw in a good word for season 2 whenever I can, I really liked it. I'm curious how I'd feel after a rewatch

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
ASSS pen still makes me chuckle

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It's possible to explain why the first season is so fine. It's not beyond words. But it's a little bit difficult to do without resorting to vague claims like 'the acting' or 'the cinematography'. It is The sum of its parts but those parts aren't easy to recall and name.

And you can totally expect that a season of True Detective should live up to previous seasons, like Fargo should live up to its previous seasons even if they adapted a non-Fargo story and changed the team. And with SE01 and to some degree SE03 there's a lot to live up to. "Our shows been here a long, long time" basically.

So far I can't say it is lives up, but it feels like a TD show regardless of what it was originally conceived of being. Minus, like I said, that head scratching opening and the mid-budget horror movie elements re: lights flickering, everybody having trauma they flash back to, stopping into other worlds within the first episode.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 17, 2024

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I mainly remember Season 2 being announced as being about 'Secret Occult History of the U.S. Transportation System' which was apparently dropped during development.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Season 2 was doomed the moment Vince Vaughn was cast.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When I heard that season 2 was going to be about the transportation system I figured a good theme would be the hidden depths and societies of the subway tunnels and poo poo like that. Especially if you wanted to do more cosmic horror, there are many good venues there - I just thought what we got was spectacularly boring. I don't really even remember much about it outside of Colin Farrell's faildad antics.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
One of the things that season 1 did that was probably correct was make the supernatural stuff not real at the end, and it even basically had Marty break the case in the end, because while Rust could see connections in everything, Marty could see what was right in front of him. It wouldn't shock me if they chose to make the supernatural stuff real in this season, to try to differentiate it.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Panzeh posted:

One of the things that season 1 did that was probably correct was make the supernatural stuff not real at the end, and it even basically had Marty break the case in the end, because while Rust could see connections in everything, Marty could see what was right in front of him. It wouldn't shock me if they chose to make the supernatural stuff real in this season, to try to differentiate it.

I don’t think the supernatural stuff wasn’t real. I think the supernatural was just a guiding force that emanated through the entire series. There’s a dark force that’s always there. It just doesn’t give them answers. The ending also is bittersweet because they didn’t really change anything. The real criminals are still in power and doing what they always did. They just caught some patsy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/lingounbound/status/1747495867513544882?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The_Rob posted:

I don’t think the supernatural stuff wasn’t real. I think the supernatural was just a guiding force that emanated through the entire series. There’s a dark force that’s always there. It just doesn’t give them answers. The ending also is bittersweet because they didn’t really change anything. The real criminals are still in power and doing what they always did. They just caught some patsy.

I don’t know that there’s anything at stake in the distinction, but when Cohle sees that thing in the ritual pit, it seemed to me like a version of the spiral symbol, and not like a hallucination inspired by the spiral, but like something that could have inspired the spiral in its more complex version of the same basic shape. Then at the end Cohle interprets it as a galaxy, which it clearly isn’t. That seems ambiguous enough to wonder about.

For me, though, the show’s interesting because it’s cosmic horror basically without anything otherworldly—it’s just sublime terror at the insignificance of humanity and the indifference of the universe to human action in a purely naturalistic way. Those final shots of all the show’s locations at the end are terrifying to me not because they suggest the perspective of some malicious presence but because they show us the indifference of the universe to the events of the series.

Also I hate that dumb guys have fallen in love with Cohle’s pessimism, as the show is very careful to show him as being about as pathetic and wrong about things as Hart. That exchange with the “let’s make the car a place for silent contemplation, ok?” is about showing what a weirdo Cohle is and how he’s embarrassed about how he can’t function or be normal for five minutes. He only works as part of a duo.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

All we hear is Tokyo gaga
Tokyo googoo
Tokyo gaga
All we hear is Tokyo gaga
Tokyo blah blah

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Weirdly this makes complete sense. This must be how Han Solo feels when he's listening to Chewbacca.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What’s that, Chewey? Lydia Lunch’s father? Oh, a girl can’t do it as good as a boy. Ok pal.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

Panzeh posted:

One of the things that season 1 did that was probably correct was make the supernatural stuff not real at the end

It was real enough to get a girls murdered and a community to cover it up/egg it on.

One of the theses Harrelson and McConaughey especially articulated but didn't come out and say was that the line between real life and imaginary monsters is blurry and thin, and that evil exists and it has a hold out there that can be thought of in supernatural terms regardless of if it has an existence apart from humans or not. Who cares if it's slenderman or a creepy janitor that's butchering girls in the forest? Who cares if it's the witch from Hansel & Gretel keeping children locked up v. a psychotic meth cook? If anything the latter is worse. I can see Martin and Rustin taking the witch away in handcuffs once they shot her out of the air and got over the WTF factor.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I can only think of 2 seasons of TV I never finished. TD season 2 and last season of dexter.

Last season of dexter was me actively deciding it was too stupid and not continuing it. TD2 was me simply forgetting about the show and a couple of months later going "oh yeah, i was watching this"

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

It's possible to explain why the first season is so fine. It's not beyond words. But it's a little bit difficult to do without resorting to vague claims like 'the acting' or 'the cinematography'. It is The sum of its parts but those parts aren't easy to recall and name.

I was entertained by S4E1 and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, but I think this gets at the core of why everything after Season 1 will be inherently subpar in comparison. It's essentially impossible to define what exactly makes Season 1 distinctly "True Detective". You can list out all of the elements, but checking more of the boxes wouldn't make a new season feel more like "True Detective". If I took a stab at creating a new season, I'd think the most core aspect would be the theme of nihilistic detective working an extremely bleak case to ultimately find some measure of meaning to life, while incorporating some of the following:
  1. Split timeline
  2. Supernatural aesthetics but ultimately grounded in reality
  3. Set in the dilapidated American wasteland
  4. Oppressively dour dialogue
  5. Cults and conspiracies
  6. A perp is captured in the end but the true criminal (the system) lives on
  7. Hyper-competent detectives that dislike/hate each other, but grow to begrudgingly respect each other

In any case, it's interesting seeing the suits at HBO try to decipher what made the original such a phenomenon

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
"The acting" and "the cinematography" aren't "vague words."

Like, remember when Mexican tv did a shot for shot version of breaking bad in Spanish? And instead of being an all time great show it was comically bad and universally panned because the actors were much worse and the cinematography was crap?

Matthew McConaughey can pull off

quote:

Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel. It's catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he's effective at proportion to the amount of certainty he can project. Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain. Dulls critical thinking.

Most other actors couldn't.

Much like the oner scene in episode 4 or 5 makes that an all time great sequence, as opposed to a run of the mill heist.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

joepinetree posted:

Matthew McConaughey can pull off (the dialogue)

Most other actors couldn't.

It also helps to have the reactions from W. Harrelson, who can make you laugh with no more than a tongue-jutting gurning scowl into the middle distance

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gonz posted:

*watches the season premiere*

What we’ve got here is a Dyatlov Pass scenario.

I listened to the official podcast episode about the creation of the season, and Issa Lopez actually cites both Dyatlov Pass and the Mary Celeste as inspirations for the season. I feel like the Flannan Isles lighthouse disappearance also has to be an inspiration.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

I don’t know that there’s anything at stake in the distinction, but when Cohle sees that thing in the ritual pit, it seemed to me like a version of the spiral symbol, and not like a hallucination inspired by the spiral, but like something that could have inspired the spiral in its more complex version of the same basic shape. Then at the end Cohle interprets it as a galaxy, which it clearly isn’t. That seems ambiguous enough to wonder about.

For me, though, the show’s interesting because it’s cosmic horror basically without anything otherworldly—it’s just sublime terror at the insignificance of humanity and the indifference of the universe to human action in a purely naturalistic way. Those final shots of all the show’s locations at the end are terrifying to me not because they suggest the perspective of some malicious presence but because they show us the indifference of the universe to the events of the series.

Also I hate that dumb guys have fallen in love with Cohle’s pessimism, as the show is very careful to show him as being about as pathetic and wrong about things as Hart. That exchange with the “let’s make the car a place for silent contemplation, ok?” is about showing what a weirdo Cohle is and how he’s embarrassed about how he can’t function or be normal for five minutes. He only works as part of a duo.

Not sure I get this take on "the insignificance of humanity". The show depicted humanity as incredibly significant. An elite pedophile ring is something that has historically material basis and consequences even if unseen.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
edit: oops messed up sorry.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Danger posted:

Not sure I get this take on "the insignificance of humanity". The show depicted humanity as incredibly significant. An elite pedophile ring is something that has historically material basis and consequences even if unseen.

I mean that the season raises the idea of a cosmic or deep-time perspective to which human existence is insignificant, communicated by shots of a landscape without human figures. This is the point of view Cohle articulates a bunch of times and rejects when he interprets his vision in the ceremonial chamber as a galaxy with points of light visible that let him feel his daughter’s presence and his father’s presence.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Panzeh posted:

yeah, i mean i think s1 is a masterclass in ambiguity and is a gold standard for one of my favourite ever tropes:https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MaybeMagicMaybeMundane

Euphoriaphone posted:

[...][*]A perp is captured in the end but the true criminal (the system) lives on[...]
i don't think they'll ever recapture this theme because i don't think the hbo suits saw it as important as it is for TD. s2 does it well too but it drops off in s3.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t know what exactly is being told, but I do think it’s telling that not once has Rachel McAdams been mentioned in Season 2 chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t know what exactly is being told, but I do think it’s telling that not once has Rachel McAdams been mentioned in Season 2 chat.

Speak up now, don't be a coward.