Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’ve only seen Season 1 (and one episode of 4 lol) because I saw the bad reviews when 2 came out and wrote it off. Started watching it finally after listening to the recent trueanon episode reviewing the show as a whole. It’s pretty good, and takes on new meaning post-Epstein. The dialogue is clunky and there are some confounding editing decisions here and there. Otherwise I don’t get the hate.

When you weren't able to binge it...it was a mess to follow with all the characters and yeah, the editing that switched gears every 2 minutes. Requires a 2nd viewing to fully comprehend the greatness of the antics of Ray Velcoro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I’ve only seen Season 1 (and one episode of 4 lol) because I saw the bad reviews when 2 came out and wrote it off. Started watching it finally after listening to the recent trueanon episode reviewing the show as a whole. It’s pretty good, and takes on new meaning post-Epstein. The dialogue is clunky and there are some confounding editing decisions here and there. Otherwise I don’t get the hate.
i really like what season 2 is trying to do, but its an absolute mess, and vince vaughn is loving horrible in it

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Why are people strident about Vince Vaughns performance? It taught me a whole new word!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I don't totally get the hate for Vince Vaughn in season 2. He wasn't a standout like Rachel McAdams but I'm not sure how that character was really supposed to be different than as seen in Vaughn's performance.

I think every actor gave their best with the dialogue they were given. Pizzolatto REALLY needed an editor. You know it's a problem when every character has the same weird vocabulary that hasn't been common since maybe the 70s (it especially made me cringe anytime ended a sentence describing something with "like". No one says this!)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think every actor gave their best with the dialogue they were given. Pizzolatto REALLY needed an editor. You know it's a problem when every character has the same weird vocabulary that hasn't been common since maybe the 70s (it especially made me cringe anytime ended a sentence describing something with "like". No one says this!)

I mean, it's OK to not like it, but IMO that's intentional. Vinci is a place out of time. A modern version of a 1920s noir gangster town that somehow coexists with modern day LA. Everything about it feels intentionally strange and surreal, including the language and mannerisms of the few inhabitants.

The season in general has a very surreal feeling to it. There are multiple dream scenes and hallucinations. The bar scenes feel otherworldly. The color palette in most scenes has a washed out industrial tint.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The character of Frank is a boring character. The other three leads are interesting and played by decent actors. Vince Vaughan is an ok actor playing a boring role.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm a bit late, just finished S4 back to back to back with Mare of Easttown and Under the Banner of Heaven. True Detective was the weakest by far for a small community murder show.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ agreed.

Lera Lynn - Lately from the S2 soundtrack is such a banger. The S2 soundtrack is so good and it's hard to believe that season came out nine, almost ten, years ago now 😲

I still feel it's such a good chaser to s1. S3 undercut itself with the resolution, s4 doesn't exist and used ai art in its set dressing :(

But S2 is spicy and acidic and strange in a really open ended way. There are no clear answers or clean resolutions.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I liked Vince Voughn in season 2.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kosmo Gallion posted:

The character of Frank is a boring character. The other three leads are interesting and played by decent actors. Vince Vaughan is an ok actor playing a boring role.

Frank is a lot more interesting than Taylor Kitsch's character, who had exactly One Thing going on. But, I think the connective tissue in season 2 was awful, and in general getting to the highlights like "I like big dicks" was an absolute slog.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
he's puffy and therefore fail

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Him having an existential crisis because of a stain on his ceiling is one of the best scenes in the entire series. He rules.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Panzeh posted:

Frank is a lot more interesting than Taylor Kitsch's character, who had exactly One Thing going on. But, I think the connective tissue in season 2 was awful, and in general getting to the highlights like "I like big dicks" was an absolute slog.

Excuse you Kitsch has two things going on: he’s gay and he committed a bunch of warcrimes with NotBlackwater.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

The_Rob posted:

Him having an existential crisis because of a stain on his ceiling is one of the best scenes in the entire series. He rules.

This certainly lends credence to the suggestion it was supposed to be Lynchian

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The_Rob posted:

Premise is this...

Frank is/was basically a low-level gangster attempting to turn into something more professional. All of it is an act which he is doing poorly at to appear as some educated hack.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheBizzness posted:

This certainly lends credence to the suggestion it was supposed to be Lynchian

I think this was pretty obvious, what with the strange bar drunken spacetime bar.

I think it was only intermittently successful at capturing that though, and frequently came across as ridiculous and thready rather than uncanny.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Premise is this...

Frank is/was basically a low-level gangster attempting to turn into something more professional. All of it is an act which he is doing poorly at to appear as some educated hack.
Frank was a successful gangster attempting to turn into something more legal/legitimate. Pity that he is in an environment where its really hard to be both successful and legitimate! Stay tuned to see how he balances his new morals with his old sensibilities. Will he get to keep his mansion? His suit? His life? Dun dun dunnnnnnnnn

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
All Frank's allies realised what a dork he was so quite rightly ripped him off.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
weird reference/potentially crossover- Frank's mom's last name is actually Sobotka

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kosmo Gallion posted:

All Frank's allies realised what a dork he was so quite rightly ripped him off.

Yeah mostly. There were a lot of hodgepodge moments in there. The whole fist fight (no need to remove the rings) scene brought Frank back into the scene.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
But he's right. The suit wouldn't even fit him.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

HootTheOwl posted:

I liked Vince Voughn in season 2.

personally i prefer vince vaught in season 2

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Watching s2 for the first time right now and I have to say it… kind of sucks? I was halfway through the mid-season shootout when I realised I wasn’t feeling any tension or excitement because I just didn’t give a poo poo about the underlying mystery. I guess they’re after some bald guy who maybe knows something about whatever’s going on? Dunno, I’m starting to think goons lied and this season doesn’t Own Actually :shrug:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Asgerd posted:

Watching s2 for the first time right now and I have to say it… kind of sucks? I was halfway through the mid-season shootout when I realised I wasn’t feeling any tension or excitement because I just didn’t give a poo poo about the underlying mystery. I guess they’re after some bald guy who maybe knows something about whatever’s going on? Dunno, I’m starting to think goons lied and this season doesn’t Own Actually :shrug:
give it 9 years after your initial viewing. : p

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Asgerd posted:

Yeah, it sucks. Colin Farrell’s character is sometimes interesting but overall the entire thing is forgettable at best.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
This thread's greatest crime is convincing people that S2 is anything other than dogshit

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I Love Elvis

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Syncopated posted:

Excuse you Kitsch has two things going on: he’s gay and he committed a bunch of warcrimes with NotBlackwater.

Bezzerides and Velcoro looking like they were both about to have a stroke after the shootout while Woodrugh is just standing there with a lower heart rate than he would just sleeping was pretty great

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Forgot about the dumb names in that season.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was Bezzerides’ sister just doomed to stay in hiding or be a fugitive at the end? Some of those dudes Bezzerides hosed up at the orgy almost surely died, and she went under her sister’s name.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, thought about that.

"Sorry sis and dad, I just hosed up your lives basically forever."

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I've only seen episode 1 & 2 of season 4, and have only read a few pages of this thread so this might have already come up, but:

E 2 ends with the dramatic relevation that Annie and Clark had the same tattoo. We've got 2 cops with detailed knowledge of Annie's case, (one of them can even be said to be obsessed with it) and none of them recall this tattoo from the autopsy reports? Am I missing something here?

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Apr 11, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It might not be a great show, I’m sorry to inform.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Freudian slippers posted:

I've only seen episode 1 & 2 of season 4, and have only read a few pages of this thread so this might have already come up, but:

E 2 ends with the dramatic relevation that Annie and Clark had the same tattoo. We've got 2 cops with detailed knowledge of Annie's case, (one of them can even be said to be obsessed with it) and none of them recall this tattoo from the autopsy reports? Am I missing something here?

You are not missing anything the shows poo poo and full of plot holes

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Thanks. I sort of knew that, but figured it couldn't be that bad. Too bad Navarro forgot to check the autopsy reports when she was obsessing over the case, I guess. And too bad Danvers did the same when she took over the case, I also guess? Not really surprising that the case wasn't solved, when you consider the quality of police work here.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol just wait

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Just watched S4. There were bad scenes throughout and the reliance on jumpscares was awful, but the show at least kept me interested until it fell apart at the end. The last half of the final episode is really grim. I knew more and more I wasn't in for excellent television with each passing episode but the plummet towards the end there was dire.

I just skipped S2 when I rewatched 1 and followed S3's release. I started S2 as it was coming out but just couldn't do it at the time. I must admit that I have also gotten more than one person to watch S3 by telling them "watch S1, realize you need more TD, if you start S2 and get an off feeling after twenty minutes, skip directly to S3 and don't look back" and I accept if I must be punished for it, but I think I might give it another go after reading some of the thread backlog.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I liken season 2 to getting the wrong dish at a restaurant. Another way to see it is, it really isn't taking itself so seriously. Whereas S1 is something many ppl enjoyed by taking it seriously. And it feels affronting and almost weirdly personal when the frame you go into it with is disregarded and mocked. Following this reasoning, s4 is uhhhhhhh a work of genius wait uhhhhhh

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's very similar to what happened with S2 of The Wire. People REALLY did not like them doing new things and IIRC it almost killed the show. Nowadays S2 is usually considered to be one of the best. After that they introduced new characters very sparingly and always tried to connect them to the established cast somehow.

But of course that doesn't really work for an anthology show like TD where you have a totally new cast each season(they tried with Tuttle and Cohle references this season, but it's all just cringe). The only thing you can bring over from S1 to make the viewers feel familiar are the character dynamics, the plot structure, cinematography, artistic style, etc.. And that's how we got S3. It's S1 with a palette swap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
It would have been totally cool and fine to leave the continuity between seasons to have been what it was over S1-S3. There are relatively strong themes of exploitation throughout; white, establishment, privileged men taking advantage of 'common' folks is central to all of the crimes presented. And there was some sort of throw away comment in season 3 about the season 1 case, but it had no bearing on the case itself, which felt unnecessary, but fine. Conceivably, all of the seasons take place in the same universe.

S4 was just so ham-fisted and over the top with the references. None of them were subtle and it was made to be a central thread of the case even though it was entirely pointless.

Cithen fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 13, 2024