Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t know what exactly is being told, but I do think it’s telling that not once has Rachel McAdams been mentioned in Season 2 chat.

Lampsacus posted:

i like how rachel mcadams vapes and does cool knife attacks.
she's awesome.

e: oh whoops that was a different thread, sorry. still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Sickening posted:

Speak up now, don't be a coward.

All I’m taking away from it is that they cast a really good actress and nobody remembers her role, it was probably a bad show.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

TheBizzness posted:

All I’m taking away from it is that they cast a really good actress and nobody remembers her role, it was probably a bad show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gGNCyNXCtw

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

For all the bananas stuff in season 2, I think it was all on purpose.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

:lol:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Someone tell me how she ends up in that meeting please.

TD has a slightly odd way of using female sexual activity for shock value. See also: Hart's daughter in SE01 and Navarro basically assaulting her FWB (I don't know how normal this is I'm not a sex haver) until it kind of makes it okay(?) since he smiles right after in the new season. I understand there's no way it's one dude's fixation since the writers and now even show runners are different, but I've noticed it.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 18, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I liked the first episode. For all the complaints that this is already doomed and True Detective is forever disgraced or whatever, people seem to forget the early episodes of basically every season are pretty goofy. You had Rust's crazy hallucinations and whats his face from season two having coma conversations with his dead dad. This first episode did feel like it was leading into the adaptation of a stephen king novel that doesn't exist though.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Bright Bart posted:

TD has a slightly odd way of using female sexual activity for shock value. See also: Hart's daughter in SE01 and Navarro basically assaulting her FWB (I don't know how normal this is I'm not a sex haver) until it kind of makes it okay(?) since he smiles right after in the new season. I understand there's no way it's one dude's fixation since the writers and now even show runners are different, but I've noticed it.

I saw that Navarro scene as a very deliberate callback on Lopez' part, although not to Hart's daughter.

Cassie's storyline is a strange one in Season 1, and it follows the story's general undecidedness about whether the ultimate horror should be men's power over women or the abuse of children. The villains are both the snakily charismatic last disciples of a once-grand folk religion luring in vulnerable adult women like Dora Lange for sacrifice with the promise of drugs and cosmic meaning, but also dribblingly gross, openly deranged child kidnappers / abusers / killers, and the show tends to switch between the two episode-by-episode.

(One thing we just discard by the finale - if Errol's usual MO was to run around grabbing kids in the woods and locking them in a storage container, why and how did he and his clearly unhinged buds go to such diligent lengths to approach the 28-year-old Dora in public at church, take her voluntarily to Carcosa or Ledoux's lab, teach her their faith, and then risk it all by letting her go home again enough times that she could write about it in her diary? Dora, did you not see the piles of children's shoes, for God's sake?)

The show pulls an odd bait-and-switch with Hart's daughter between these two themes - first it sets up the possibility that she, too, is a victim of the original cult and she's acting out its sexual violence with her dolls and drawings. Then upon the time advancement, it repositions things so that instead we're looking at Marty's territoriality and controlling tendencies, we're calling back to the theme of men becoming furious when they realise they don't own female sexuality.

That takes us into some uneasy and unresolved territory, as with much of S1's commentary on sex and what underlies sex. Is Cassie having sex with two boys at once an adventurous act of sexual expression on her part or is it a compulsive repetition of something horrible she's suffered offscreen? Likewise, how do we feel about the writer's apparently pointed effort to show us that the show's sole queer character was ritually abused by men as a child?

In general, S1 is a really interesting, flawed (and I think the flaws are all either very deliberate or organic outcomes of the story it's telling, although that doesn't make them immune to criticism) object when it comes to gender relations.

It's deeply scathing about masculinity, but its female characters are all essentially reactive, and express their agency / act out their emotions mainly through having sex with men - for revenge like Maggie, out of gratitude and hero-worship like Beth, Cassie's threesome that might be an act of adventurous self-expression but could also be compulsive repetition of offscreen abuse. Very occasionally they're allowed to have a pithy retort at the male characters' expense as well.

There's an early scene where Hart is pestering Alexandra Daddario's character for sex, and he offers her a pair of handcuffs which he intends to make her wear. Instead she meaningfully puts them on him, but the switch doesn't actually lend her any power in the act - the camera still focuses on his delighted face vs her HBO-mandated exposed breasts, and the only thing she seems to want to do with her newfound control is give him a sexy Miranda Rights reading.

The Navarro scene, I think, is very clearly referring back to that and tweaking the power dynamic. Navarro is in the same position as Daddario, on top, holding down her partner's arms - but she's wearing a bra while her partner is fully naked, and her rippling muscles are the only physical detail that the camera lingers on. She similarly takes control of the sexual act, but does so in a way that genuinely and forcefully overrides her partner's wants, to the extent of becoming uncomfortable in its own right.

It's a good character detail and expression of intent from Lopez, I liked it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

I'll always maintain that Season 2 is a must-watch just for the incredible over-the-top faux noir dialogue. I have never heard anything like it before or since:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wift4FuvvYk

The writing style was so distinct that making up parody Vince Vaughn dialogue became a meme for a while. You didn't see that happening with any other seasons.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I actually DID forget Tim Riggins was involved.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We have Deadwood at home

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Bright Bart posted:

TD has a slightly odd way of using female sexual activity for shock value. See also: Hart's daughter in SE01 and Navarro basically assaulting her FWB (I don't know how normal this is I'm not a sex haver) until it kind of makes it okay(?) since he smiles right after in the new season.
You're correct to feel uncomfortable; it's not normal to ignore your partner's protests and cover their mouth when they say something like "wait". For some people it can be a roleplay thing, and it's fine as long as long as both parties know what the other will say when they actually want to stop, but there wasn't really anything in the show establishing that that's what it was, and I'm not inclined to give much benefit of the doubt in cases like this. It feels like another example of the "women can't rape men" trope that's been pervasive for decades, and it would have played very differently if the genders were reversed. It would be one thing if the intent of the scene were to depict a sexual assault and treat it seriously, but as you say, the man's reaction afterward comes off as the show handwaving the problem away.

grobbo posted:

The Navarro scene, I think, is very clearly referring back to that and tweaking the power dynamic. Navarro is in the same position as Daddario, on top, holding down her partner's arms - but she's wearing a bra while her partner is fully naked, and her rippling muscles are the only physical detail that the camera lingers on. She similarly takes control of the sexual act, but does so in a way that genuinely and forcefully overrides her partner's wants, to the extent of becoming uncomfortable in its own right.

It's a good character detail and expression of intent from Lopez, I liked it.
This would be a fair reading, I think, if the show didn't try to justify it retroactively by making it look like her partner liked it.

RhymesWithTendon fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 18, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I always figured Pizzolato was going for more of a David Mamet thing, honestly.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

SimonChris posted:

I'll always maintain that Season 2 is a must-watch just for the incredible over-the-top faux noir dialogue. I have never heard anything like it before or since:
Yes! Yes! It's so good. Nick, the writer, said he did it to piss off anybody wanting a reprise of characters saying odd poo poo. S2 was mostly told through music anyway, I think you are meant to see the dialog as these afterlife puppets, forced to say specific things in the hope they will regain their lives at the end of it. But they won't.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

RhymesWithTendon posted:

It feels like another example of the "women can't rape men" trope that's been pervasive for decades

I feel like it could be trying to show a combination of She's all woman but she won't bend to no man's demands (even the completely reasonable one of slowling down when sex is painful, it seems) / She's a badass alpha chick who gets what she wants.

Without realizing or without caring that this is the sort of toxic masculinity that led to hundreds of millions of women getting date raped over hundreds of years.

(Please note I'm not saying Night Country is going to teach sorority girls to do hosed up stuff like this.)

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I'm a sucker for neo-noirish genre fiction that swings way too hard at pitches, so I liked episode 1 and am cautiously optimistic for the season. Even if it's trash, it looks like fun trash.

That said, I noticed something about the first 20 minutes: it seemed to revolve around eating. You had an indigenous guy hunting, a scientist making popcorn, a scientist making a sandwich, and then people processing Alaskan crab to eat. Beyond that, lots of scenes revolved around someone getting food (the rookie cop) or delivering food/drinks.

I'm wondering if this season is going to thematically revolve around how we are fed. I don't know what that would *mean* per se but it seemed deliberate and I think it's a really interesting angle to have alongside a look at the Missing and Murderer Indigenous Women movement. There's a lot to work with there.

Bright Bart posted:

(even the completely reasonable one of slowling down when sex is painful, it seems)

Not that this changes the consent dynamics, but as a sex-havin' guy, I interpreted his "wait slow down" as him saying he was about to orgasm and trying to delay that. I didn't think he was in pain, just trying to last longer.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 18, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It seemed pretty straightforward to me, he didn't want to cum inside her because that's a normal, responsible adult reaction when you don't want to get your FWB pregnant.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

grobbo posted:

I always figured Pizzolato was going for more of a David Mamet thing, honestly.

I can see Mamet. Narratively it's like Inslaw/Cabazon/Danny Casalaro Octopus poo poo filtered by way of Ellroy.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

yeah everything about that sex scene with navarro just made her pretty much a villain in my eyes. i get what they're going for - she hates men as much as she imagines they hate her, and expresses that in pretty much every aspect of her life, but she's ended up behaving like one of the men she hates.

it would've been clearer if the guy she basically raped didn't laugh it all off as antics, including the post-rape domination game with the toothbrush, but i buy that your average kinda dumb dude would react like that on the surface.

between that and pouring booze into the gas tank for no apparent reason, i don't like this woman. she's a shithead. but i think the show is going to expect me to sympathise with her and it'll fall flat if they don't address these things.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 18, 2024

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Honestly I liked her and Foster just fine and if anything will keep watching for them. Also appreciated the Lynchian poo poo.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

roomtone posted:

between that and pouring booze into the gas tank for no apparent reason

I wouldn't really say it was for no reason, it was the truck of the abuser boyfriend from the first scene you see navarro in. Like, she literally hears him talking about how he's gonna get rough with her again as she walks by them

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I wouldn't really say it was for no reason, it was the truck of the abuser boyfriend from the first scene you see navarro in. Like, she literally hears him talking about how he's gonna get rough with her again as she walks by them

I know this isn't what you're saying, and I might not be any more directly confrontational than she is especially since she's already on thin ice in a career she really cares about, but

Yeah. Sure. Messing up the hothead violent abuser's truck, ruining his day in a way he won't be able to see is in any way a consequence of being a POS, will totally make him nicer to his victim when he gets home. Solid plan.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bright Bart posted:

I know this isn't what you're saying, and I might not be any more directly confrontational than she is especially since she's already on thin ice in a career she really cares about, but

Yeah. Sure. Messing up the hothead violent abuser's truck, ruining his day in a way he won't be able to see is in any way a consequence of being a POS, will totally make him nicer to his victim when he gets home. Solid plan.

Are you upset someone was being mean to an abuser? Are you okay?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

I feel like it could be trying to show a combination of She's all woman but she won't bend to no man's demands (even the completely reasonable one of slowling down when sex is painful, it seems) / She's a badass alpha chick who gets what she wants.

Without realizing or without caring that this is the sort of toxic masculinity that led to hundreds of millions of women getting date raped over hundreds of years.

(Please note I'm not saying Night Country is going to teach sorority girls to do hosed up stuff like this.)

I think it’s meant to show that she’s lovely and has problems, just like when Woody fucks Alexandra Daddario in season one. I bet Jodie Foster does some lovely and hosed-up things as well (was she hired six years ago to cover up the murder and be the mine’s crooked man on the inside, or maybe someone blackmailed her into it?). The guy seems pretty decent and blameless (trying to look out for her sister and warn her that the sister needs help), so you’re probably supposed to notice that she’s being self-destructive and hurting other people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Apparently Reddit had people posting during season three about how Hays had psychic powers and could see his past and future selves, and his dementia was the result of him moving things in the past and future with his mind.

I hope those people enjoy the literal ghosts and psychic visions this season is likely to deliver.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

roomtone posted:

yeah everything about that sex scene with navarro just made her pretty much a villain in my eyes. i get what they're going for - she hates men as much as she imagines they hate her, and expresses that in pretty much every aspect of her life, but she's ended up behaving like one of the men she hates.

it would've been clearer if the guy she basically raped didn't laugh it all off as antics, including the post-rape domination game with the toothbrush, but i buy that your average kinda dumb dude would react like that on the surface.

Also, you got this incredibly fit woman who looks like she goes to the gym 6-7 days a week for full body workouts smashing some flabby dude who looks like he's never lifted a weight in his life. A big 'she likes easy targets' vibe, intentional or not.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sickening posted:

Are you upset someone was being mean to an abuser?

If it leads to the abuse victim getting abused harder yeah I loving am.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Not a fan of the opening theme for this season which is a bummer because watching the openings for the previous three was at least a good way to settle into the episode viewing for me.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bright Bart posted:

If it leads to the abuse victim getting abused harder yeah I loving am.

I think the abusers truck not working might lead to them being able to abuse people less, not more.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't have much more to add re: sex but I read the whole post.

As for what you kind of touched on, the depiction of parenting is its own thing and I'm glad it goes beyond just 'detectives work long hours and get caught up in the job so they're bad parents'. I don't have children and likely never will. But boy do I know bad parenting.

Hart's situation got my attention because it's the younger daughter that's basically daddy's girl to some degree. It could be because she doesn't cause what Marty sees are problems. But I also think it's that he can understand more traditional self expression by girls. He can be proud of her for making the cheer team, even though he doesn't understand why eighth grade football would need cheerleaders (which is its own thing about Marty). Maggie has one scene where she gives 100% of her love to the girl who needs maybe 75% of it in the moment. I'm not saying she's doing that thing where parents ignore the non-"problem child", let alone playing favourites. But this girl was just present when her dad dug into her sister, her sister hit her, and her mom told her to basically STFU. That kind of memory can stick with you for decades. It's cool that they made Audrey kind of adjusted as a young adult. It'd be interesting if it was Maisie that was troubled, but that would be hard to do sensitively.

On that note, I like to imagine that Rustin was a terrific parent before his world came crashing down. If True Detective had a writer with double or triple the talent (and I'm not saying they're mediocre by any stretch), they could have shown Matthew as a well integrated member of society who's a good husband and father while still being fundamentally Rustin, a weirdo who can't conform but can read people and play sleight of hand with them like toys.

One of the few lines I remember from that season.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 18, 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Am I misremembering or was there a suggestion at the end that Hart’s daughter was on medication for a mood disorder in 2012, partially explaining her difficulties as a teenager?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I AM GRANDO posted:

Am I misremembering or was there a suggestion at the end that Hart’s daughter was on medication for a mood disorder in 2012, partially explaining her difficulties as a teenager?
Marty: And Audrey, how... how's she?
Maggy: She's fine, at the moment. She sometimes decides she doesn't need her meds. I like her boyfriend. He watches out for her. She had an art show in New Orleans, sold some paintings.

Yeah but i think the broader insinuation is that she is one of those zany art girls and expressive and is now free to florish, which meant her personality was always going to clash with traditionalist 'low in openess-to-experience' Marty. Now, if Rust was her father...

She'd be dead!!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Maggie mentions it in the last episode of S1 when Hart visits her I think.

Never watched S2 or S3 but now I'm tempted to give them a shot. S2 was obviously a misfire but Farrell is usually good in just about anything and I'm low-key fascinated by media endeavors like S2 where the performances and framing are so clearly influenced by the expectations that it was going to be another runaway success that it warps the final product. Like there's no way Vaughn or even McAdams end up in that show without their agents selling them on the idea of it being a chance to remind everyone that they're "serious actors".

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah but i think the broader insinuation is that she is one of those zany art girls and expressive and is now free to florish, which meant her personality was always going to clash with traditionalist 'low in openess-to-experience' Marty. Now, if Rust was her father...

If I remember a dinner scene correctly, they did a bang-up job combining silly teen angst with valid points. Like she says she dresses like she does because that's who she is (debateable) but gives a solid argument in asking who told Marty he needs to understand how his daughter dresses or expresses herself. It was a bit more nuanced than the typical f*** off dad I hate you ughhh parent-child relationship you see in shows with a child who has issues.

I can't think of example of solid parenting in TD. Not that that's the place to look for it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

Maggie mentions it in the last episode of S1 when Hart visits her I think.

Never watched S2 or S3 but now I'm tempted to give them a shot. S2 was obviously a misfire but Farrell is usually good in just about anything and I'm low-key fascinated by media endeavors like S2 where the performances and framing are so clearly influenced by the expectations that it was going to be another runaway success that it warps the final product. Like there's no way Vaughn or even McAdams end up in that show without their agents selling them on the idea of it being a chance to remind everyone that they're "serious actors".
yeah even if you don't vibe with s2, its common consensus that Farrell absolutely acts the crap out of his role. Also, what's funny is Vaughn was told his gangster character would be a parody of Rust's character, to be played satirically and he'd be cast against his type and he still went for it. which is rad.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Season 2 is good as hell.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It’s funny that people say episode one of the new season was Lynchian because season 2 is so much more Lynchian. It’s weird and surreal and extremely funny.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

This thread made me start rewatching SE01 and the while I do still like the heist, the scene that keeps on giving is the meth lab raid.

Marty and Rustin talking so calmly and believably about what happened while we see something completely different on screen.

The first (and imminently final) encounter with the "minor" baddy being the shot it was, feet apart.

Rustin not missing a beat, telling Marty to keep the kids inside not only because he's about to pop off but so that they won't know when the firing started in relation to what went down just prior. Also Rustin giving Marty all of the credit, and years later faking him being somewhat upset at 'Captain America'.

Years later Marty still having to lie, and while he obviously knows how to lie it must eat him up having to keep doing it.

Rustin's dismissive 'What is that? Nietsche? Shut the gently caress up.' contrasted with him adopting the catchphrase.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 19, 2024

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Season 2 definitely works better if you see it as a pastiche instead of expecting season 1 with different actors. Farrel's character flat out records all of his brooding monologues into a tape recorder for posterity. It's hilarious!

It also had Stan, the greatest character ever. He had gold in his heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I sometimes wonder why ppl find S2 so abrasive and I think it's because if you think the creators are trying to do S1 again, S2 comes across as in the uncanny valley. Wait, I should rephrase that: S2 is close enough in nature to S1 that if you go into it with expectations that it will be a continuation of S1 AND you think the creators are trying to continue S1, it comes across as something in the 'abrasive valley'.