Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Season 2 was great to watch live while everyone was talking about it and making up greentext monologues of VV's dialogue. I've been meaning to rewatch it at some point but I'm worried it won't hold up without that same social element (like if you watched LOST for the first time starting today).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

It's possible to explain why the first season is so fine. It's not beyond words. But it's a little bit difficult to do without resorting to vague claims like 'the acting' or 'the cinematography'. It is The sum of its parts but those parts aren't easy to recall and name.

I was entertained by S4E1 and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, but I think this gets at the core of why everything after Season 1 will be inherently subpar in comparison. It's essentially impossible to define what exactly makes Season 1 distinctly "True Detective". You can list out all of the elements, but checking more of the boxes wouldn't make a new season feel more like "True Detective". If I took a stab at creating a new season, I'd think the most core aspect would be the theme of nihilistic detective working an extremely bleak case to ultimately find some measure of meaning to life, while incorporating some of the following:
  1. Split timeline
  2. Supernatural aesthetics but ultimately grounded in reality
  3. Set in the dilapidated American wasteland
  4. Oppressively dour dialogue
  5. Cults and conspiracies
  6. A perp is captured in the end but the true criminal (the system) lives on
  7. Hyper-competent detectives that dislike/hate each other, but grow to begrudgingly respect each other

In any case, it's interesting seeing the suits at HBO try to decipher what made the original such a phenomenon