Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm enjoying this season a lot, though it's not without some significant flaws. I'd still take it over S2. I haven't watched much of S3 because Alzheimer's/senility stuff fucks me up in a way that makes it difficult, so I dunno where I'd put this in the overall pantheon, but it's engaging and different and I appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I'm rewatching TD season one and gently caress almighty is it ever engaging. Like I've seen it a bunch of times now and obviously its reputation is sterling so it's entirely old news how great it is, but it catches me by surprise every single time with how hard it is to not just immediately start playing the next episode. Even if it's fuckin' two in the morning and I need sleep.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Bright Bart posted:

It's not unexpected but also decidedly weird that the most socially conscious and outspoken on human rights generation perhaps ever is willing to bend to an autocratic regime's censorship quirks.

There's plenty of frustration from creators about how arbitrary or lovely the content moderation can be on TikTok, but being unwilling to bend to it means finding an audience elsewhere and, well, that's the rub. See also: Shitloads of otherwise extremely savvy, sensible people refusing to leave the broken husk that used to be Twitter.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
now that the final episode has aired i am glad i no longer have to keep my identity — the True Detective — a secret

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I didn't hate that finale. I thought it was one of the stronger episodes. But overall ... woof. I liked this season more than most and I still didn't particularly enjoy it.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Rust and Marty doing awful poo poo in their capacities as police gets excused by the implicit morality of the show because they're actively doing detective work and chasing down leads and getting closer to resolving the case. It's not okay that Rust absolutely hosed that dude up with a toolbox, but it led to the hillbilly bunny ranch, so we whistle past it. It's their transgressions as people that come back to haunt them (Rust's increased isolation and declining health and desire to kill himself, the dissolution of Marty's family).

In Night Country, we don't ... really see a whole lot of detective work, so there's very little to whistle past in the name of "well they're working a case." But the same sorts of personal transgressions are present, so it's like, okay well we cheered for the lovely people in season one because they were legitimately great detectives, but the lovely people in season four don't seem to be great detectives at all, so what are we meant to do?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Maybe this is what you meant, but I don't think S1 excuses their awful choices and is better for it. It shows them both suffer and cause a lot of suffering because of their actions, but aside from the Rust's drug use it, they're protagonists in spite of and not because of those vices.

I was drawing a distinction between their actions (and resulting consequences) as police and their actions (and resulting consequences) as men. The lovely things they do in service of police work — the violence, the complete disregard for law in the service of Getting The Next Lead, etc. — lead to good things for their careers as detectives. They end up in the papers, they get promotions, they have a near decade of working well together, they're widely recognized as a great duo who gets results, etc., etc. Meanwhile, the lovely things they do as men — Rust's nihilism and substance abuse, Marty's infidelity — lead to horrible things for their personal lives. Rust is human wreckage by 2012, and only came back to work the case because he intended to kill himself after putting things right. Marty lost his wife and children and lives a sad, quiet life alone. In my view, the show's moral compass is fine with them being lovely in service of the case, but comes down on them hard for being lovely people.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like this season's vibe was colored heavily by the assumption that the groundwork laid in season one dictated supernatural involvement when in reality most of the creepy supernatural poo poo in season one came down to Rust being synesthetic with a brain permanently hosed by drugs

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

DaveKap posted:

Then you come to Night Detective where the supernatural elements are thick and meaty, constantly referred to by then native people of the area, known in stories and song. It interjects into the lives of those who do not believe in it, it becomes a reason for actions, and it is the resolution to asked questions. Yet despite all the importance of these spooky goings ons, the show simply says "make of it what you will." It shrugs hard. "A story is just a story" is the conclusion we get. "Is it all real? Maybe!" says the producer during an interview. And it's happening in a detective/mystery show. Now, maybe this is why it leaves a bad taste in the mouth but then the question becomes, what would have worked?

And I honestly don't know.

You don't know because there's likely no satisfying answer. What ultimately would have worked is something more akin to TD1, where the supernatural elements could be waved away as a) products of one person's altered mind and b) utterly inconsequential. The moment your supernatural poo poo is a) showing up for everybody and b) directly impacting the real world, you've gotta deal with that in a meaningful way because it creates enormous conflict and not dealing with it means unresolved conflict which means an unsatisfying story.

If I had to hash something more interesting and coherent out of TD4, I'd say tone down the supernatural stuff just enough to where by the end of the six episodes we have Navarro believing it a little bit less and Danvers believing it a little bit more. Neither comes away completely convinced one way or the other, but neither walks away without some fundamental belief about the world having been shaken.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

mrmcd posted:

Lol forgot about that. Everything is either miles and miles away requiring you to drive through solitary snowy darkness, or like 100 feet from wherever you're standing, including 200 foot deep water.

In theory I don't hate this. I could see a version of this show that treats the long-night versions of Ennis and its surrounding areas as unknowable. Kind of like the bayou in season one, where there's just all sorts of poo poo you'd absolutely never find unless you were looking for it or tripped over it. Not saying that was the intent (it wasn't), but there's a way to do it that adds to the mystery and foreboding nature of things.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

counterfeitsaint posted:

It think it's excusable because it's one sort-of weak plot point in an otherwise very solid story.

It doesn't ruin the season by any reasonable stretch, not at all, but it's also not a sort-of weak plot point. It's insanely bad. It is a plot point that fell through time from Night Country and landed in January 2014.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
it's understandable to think the cult is still in operation, since there's this bit of dialogue:
"tuttles, loving men in the video, we didn't get 'em all."
"yeah and we ain't gonna get 'em all, that ain't the kind of world it is, but we got ours."

there's also the thing where the final thought the show leaves with is "yes there is still an enormous amount of darkness but the light is winning"

but yeah by the end of the season there just isn't really a cult anymore. errol was the last vestige of it. there are enormously powerful people who enabled it or were directly involved and will never be brought to justice, but the cult itself is basically gone.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
If it didn't have the first season to live up to, season three would be deeply beloved by way more people. It's so much less of a mess than season two, and Mahershala Ali puts on an absolute clinic. It's missing the magic of season one, no doubt about that, but it's a great run.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
god help you sons of bitches if this thread convinces me to watch season two again

it was awful, you lunatics

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like most of the defenses of season two come down to it being a satire, and my problem with that defense is it basically waves away any instances of over-the-top bad writing or delivery with "well you can't take that seriously, it's a satire" — as though Nic Pizzolatto has ever done anything other than demand to be taken very seriously. They have a word for satire that doesn't realize it's satire: trash.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Lampsacus posted:

Whenever I do my yearly rewatch of s1, I always finish it with a rewatch of s2. Its like a chaser. I have never rewatched s3 since it aired. it just feels so 'pointless? because the solution to the main mystery at the end wasn't some deeper conspiracy or borderline cosmic horror and that makes it feel strangely... dull? boring? i'm not sure how to phrase it. but its been years since i've seen it so hey -, maybe it's time!

I think what you're searching for here is that S3 was just more narrow in scope. The previous two seasons (and some of the setup in S3) give us the idea that maybe there's something much larger behind the Purcell case, but the reality is — while still pretty weird and conspiratorial — much more conventional.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Exactly how i feel,there was no resolution to anything in season 3.It was just miserable.

There absolutely is a resolution, and we even get a hint that something akin to justice (in the legal sense) might still be done thanks to Wayne's son. We just don't get a big, guns-blazing finish where The Bad Guys have been properly outed and disposed of. Instead, we get one old man who's full of regret, a confrontation with Big Rich Evil Man with Overwhelming Influence who turns out to be just a sad sack of poo poo who doesn't know anything, and a final meeting with Julie Purcell where we get to see her living a quiet, happy life.

I felt like all of it did a fantastic job at turning things on their head. There's so much about the season that runs counter to what you'd expect, and (in my opinion) it's far more deserving of the 'subversive secret masterstroke' discussion than S2.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

I AM GRANDO posted:

Did hbo ever get into aftershows like amc and netflix did? I’d love one for season one of True Detective, hosted by John Oliver and with a rotating group of actors from the show who would agree to be on, so like Reggie Ledoux, Alexandra Daddario, and the two actors who play Mary’s daughters.

Their version of it tends to be podcasts. TLOU and Chernobyl each had one, and those were pretty good listens.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
game of what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
This thread's greatest crime is convincing people that S2 is anything other than dogshit