Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m gonna be honest. I think I hated everything about that first episode. That entire opening scene at the research station I thought they were doing like a parody of bad horror movies. Like I was hoping it was going to be like the opening scene of Blow Out where after the cheesy horror movie we’re back in reality

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Dmitri-9 posted:

I think it is fine but there are a lot of possibly tiresome cliches like Navarro's PTSD and hatred of violence against women. Many people have pointed out the shadowy figure crossing the foreground. A dismembered body part showing up where it shouldn't has been done to death.

The shadow figure sucked and also the guy standing g having a seizure and then turning around to say something cryptic. It’s the least True Detective thing I’ve ever seen. It felt like American Horror Story

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Danger posted:

Season 2 rules actually

Yeah I’m glad people have been coming around on Season 2.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bright Bart posted:

I didn't dislike Season 2 because people were saying it's bad. I didn't know they were. I disliked it because I thought it was meh and not just compared to the first season. I could watch it again if I somehow needed to for some obscure reason, but I doubt I'd see its brilliance a second time around.

I think it’s pretty worth going back to imo. I think it goes over a lot of the themes of the first season in a different way without completely rejecting the first season and I think Vaughn and Ferral are both really great in the show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Henchman of Santa posted:

You guys keep bringing up past seasons as if anyone involved is present here. It's just a brand.

I mean, that sucks rear end.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

It's dumb, but I just mean this should be regarded in context as just the latest HBO prestige murder mystery miniseries rather than part of True Detective, because Nic Pizzolatto is True Detective, for better or for worse.

But with it having the True Detective name I think it’s totally fair to judge it on previous True Detectives.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gresh posted:

Season 2 was bad but in a comically entertaining kind of way. I hardly remember anything about Season 3 though, boring as poo poo. Will Season 4 be a masterpiece like Season 1? After episode 1, I can confidently say no. Will it be better than seasons 2 and 3? Probably.

Season 2 is good

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Panzeh posted:

One of the things that season 1 did that was probably correct was make the supernatural stuff not real at the end, and it even basically had Marty break the case in the end, because while Rust could see connections in everything, Marty could see what was right in front of him. It wouldn't shock me if they chose to make the supernatural stuff real in this season, to try to differentiate it.

I don’t think the supernatural stuff wasn’t real. I think the supernatural was just a guiding force that emanated through the entire series. There’s a dark force that’s always there. It just doesn’t give them answers. The ending also is bittersweet because they didn’t really change anything. The real criminals are still in power and doing what they always did. They just caught some patsy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It’s funny that people say episode one of the new season was Lynchian because season 2 is so much more Lynchian. It’s weird and surreal and extremely funny.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mark immune posted:

calling it now, travis is rust's dad

Which to me would be awful. I’m fine with there being some relationship to season 1 but it’s gonna be part of your main story?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
All the music choices have felt really off.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Ok maybe I’m imagining things but the two posters in the guys room where the dimple piercing detective is talking to him are ai right? They look like ai.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mark immune posted:

i saw META||||L's u.s. tour, both the 1st live date and the 2st live date

Ok I’m glad I wasn’t just imagining this. I didn’t think this ep was as bad as the first episode, but there’s so much about this show that feels off. So many things that would feel more at home on a bad Netflix tv show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Gresh posted:

Welp just finished episode 2 and honestly I'm struggling to give a poo poo about anything that's happening.

I’m not even really sure what’s going on honestly. It feels like they’re not doing any actual detective work other than going. Oh look spirals. Here’s some spirals. Remember the spirals?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m losing my mind about the ai posters I can’t stop laughing about it. HBO has how much money??

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I too spent that whole scene looking at the AI posters. That and "it's not an emoji" were the worst parts of an otherwise good episode. Though I don't understand what happened with the screaming guy.

I think they said they medicated him and put him to sleep or something so she couldn’t talk to him.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TheBizzness posted:

I’m excited to watch them try to land this plane because lol

Yeah that’s where I’m at right now too. I’m just watching to see if they can at least navigate it into the water.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Open Source Idiom posted:

This season's not super great but I'm not gonna hold poo poo like this against the show. There was a blind item maybe a year or so ago that said that WarnerDisco was cutting the budget on shows midproduction, expecting them to limp forwards with a budget loss in the millions of dollars. Absolutely think that's what's happened here.

It's a classic case of a large company forcing their workers to make more with less.

I’m gonna blame them. It says 2st. No set designer got a second look at this? I mean it’s possible they were green screen posters and they filled it in later. Though that seems more difficult than just finding some random posters to hang up.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mug of Glop posted:

I should never have gone into Issa López's replies.

This literally makes no sense.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Every bit of public discussion of this season Lopez has done sounds like she’s delivering a prepared statement at gunpoint. Someone could just tell the truth about having to replace something at the last minute or someone making a mistake. Mistakes can be endearing and funny. People love that part of Star Wars where Mark Hamill yells “Carrie!” at the end.

Well even her talking about incels voting the show down on rotten tomatoes and you look at the score and it’s generally pretty good.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think this season is really bad. Nobody acts like a human and not in a subversive David Lynch way. Music cues are terrible the mystery isn’t interesting. Writing is super bad. I also hate the lighting.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sickening posted:

I was just about to ask if anyone actually likes the show and wants to talk about the things they like. I figured, dang these hate watchers must have some other really good shows on right now to measure this against I need to check those out but no. They are just actively discussing this.

Like why would I hate that Travis is rust's dad? His dad was barely mentioned in s1. What is there to lose?

The tie in's so far are also really vague. Tuttle corp? The spiral? What deserves this much panic by episode 2?

Because making a shared universe is not only done to death but also cheapens this tv show and pretty much confirms they didn’t have enough confidence to run with it on their own. Also it isn’t just that spiral is prominent it’s how prominent the spiral is without actually explaining why it’s interesting at all. Like I said earlier too I think the writing sucks and the lighting is awful, and every music cue has felt out of place

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sickening posted:

I promise you, nobody will think less of you if don't watch the show you totally hate. It doesn't seem you have much left to enjoy.

I never thought they would. I just decided to give the show a chance and haven’t been enjoying it and looked for a place to talk about it. Am I required to post about how good I think it is?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

grobbo posted:

if we're going to hold Lopez personally responsible for the word '2st' in the background set dressing, then we should also put Christopher Nolan on trial for the word 'HIEST' in Dark Knight Rises, because that poo poo was right in the centre of the screen where he couldn't possibly have missed it, and he has to live with that no matter how many nice suits he wears

Yes. dark Knight Rises legit sucks.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

mystes posted:

Rob was the original. The_Rob is the soft reboot.

Hey, what the

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
People keep saying the mystery blends reality but I’d love to know where there’s ever been a crime of a bunch of scientists frozen together with their tongues cut out.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Doltos posted:

Yeah the #1 rule in show business is to love everything. It doesn't matter if you're right or not, just nothing good usually comes from being critical as a public facing figure. You either galvanize a side that already agrees with you or you just come off as a whiny complainer to those who don't. I get a lot more brand deals streaming when I praise everything coming across my email than if I give my honest opinion on a video game.

I’m sorry but this sucks rear end.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Codependent Poster posted:

It's very commonly used. It's also happened multiple times this season already and yes they clearly want you to be unsure as to the nature of reality. It's already been laid out as one of the themes of the season.

Isolated at the end of the world in endless night. Is reality really unraveling here or is it a case of the environment they're in? So this trick is to make the audience just as unsure as the characters.

But it’s not unsure in an interesting way it’s unsure because no one acts like a human and seems like they were written by ai.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I also don’t think the imagery is very creepy. Other than the yarn people which was admittedly pretty cool looking. But most of the show has been super over lit with digital lighting or not really obscured at all so it ends up looking very silly.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
And also. The deaths of the scientists would absolutely be more interesting to people because they’re all mangled into a weird frozen sculpture. That’s not just some every day occurrence. But you wouldn’t know that with how the characters on the show act.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Mordja posted:

Season 3 was good actually, haters vacate.

Season 2 was good too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

LaserPrinter69 posted:

I appreciate that they're leaning hard into psychological horror and jump scares with ghosts instead of just dabbling. It's risky when a show starts to get weird but I digged the vibe of this episode.

That said though I'm gonna need to see some plotlines resolved real fast because it's feeling like the wheels are just spinning for the sake of cramming more hallucinations of dead people to build atmosphere. But like I get it. poo poo's spooky and cosmic. Let's move this plot forward.

Jump scares with ghosts have been the worst part of horror for like the last two decades

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

After a pretty cool first episode, every episode since has just been so boring? So disappointing

I mean I thought the first episode was outright bad. The opening alone felt like some low budget Netflix horror show.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Sickening posted:

I promise you that you don't have to keep watching the show you hate. You have that power.

People always say this, but then also get mad if someone didn’t finish the show and says it was bad.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

DarkLich posted:

Rustin's dreary intellectualism was interesting, but it worked so well because of Marty's constant bewilderment. He called out out how pretentious it was, and showed an accurate reflection of how most people would receive those worldviews.

The "scented meats?" response will always be hilarious.

And Rust was there to balance out Marty’s lack of introspection and unwillingness to look beyond himself. Perfect cop show dynamic. They both represent the two extremes. What happens when you don’t think at all versus what happens when all you do is think.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 6, 2024

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Despera posted:

Even season 1 had an episode where nothing happened (6-7 whichever had the boat) and had less ambition in its final episode than the average x-files episode (ooo scary guy in forest). I dont get where these "near perfection" takes come from. Bludgeoning season 4 with the supposed sanctity of season 1 is something to do I guess.

I mean season 4 should attempt at least one good episode

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Despera posted:

I suppose your taste is better than theirs

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/true_detective/s04

Posting the rotten tomatoes score means less than nothing lmao.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tender Bender posted:

I hate the way this show looks, I think it's the lighting? Every interior scene is lit exactly the same regardless of what light sources are or aren't present and it makes everything look flat like a fake show people watch in a real show or something.

Yeah it’s the lighting. All modern tv is lit like that now and it’s awful. A lot of the time it’s digital lighting. So they have it lit one way on set and then digitally alter it in post.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

counterfeitsaint posted:

The threads ability to pay attention is getting more and more embarrassing.

I know its way more fun for you to post about if Danver's daughter was like 25 banging a 15yo but that's not the case. She's 17 and her (ex) gf is 16. The eagerness for there to be a pedo to be outraged over is getting tiresome.

I don’t think that was ever the complaint. It’s that the actress doesn’t really look or act like a 17 year old so it comes off weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’m baffled at how many people in this thread like this season. It feels like criminal minds or something other than True Detective. The cinematography is terrible. The lighting is both flat and way too bright. The music choices are awful. The script feels general and stupid. The mystery could potentially be interesting if they stuck to it for more than a couple episodes. There’s points where the script honestly just feels ai generated.