Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
First episode did not hook me as cleanly as S1's did, but I thought it was pretty good and the setting is rich and seems like it will be fertile ground for lots of weird man vs. the elements/ himself themes.

I also liked the rivalry between the two leads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
If they try to shoehorn in some mundane reason for how the lady followed the ghost of her son to the exact place where the bodies were I will be very disappointed. TD S1 was great because it hinted at supernatural poo poo but never went so far into it that mundane explanations would seriously disappoint. They've painted themselves into a bit of a corner here already unfortunately.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Ithle01 posted:

they could just leave that as one of those cosmic coincidences that just sometimes happen in our world.

Hard disagree. Ghosts / hallucinations don't lead people to the precise locations of missing bodies in the middle of nowhere. There are strange coincidences and then there are impossibilities. If a hallucination can lead a person to the location of murder victims, all bets are off and I'd be left asking why the hallucination couldn't just solve the whole mystery. If ghosts did it, don't take six episodes to tell me that, a few minutes will do.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

I wouldn't have enjoyed season one as much if I hadn't had the SA thread to read as I went through the episodes. It made the experience way more fun to see what people were theorizing about week-to-week. It never even occurred to me that there would be any genuine lovecraft god stuff at all.

Same. Watching it with goons was a singular experience and helped cement it as my TV nirvana experience. Not sure if anything will ever be able to match it.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

th3t00t posted:

Such as? I'm fishing for recommendations, not saying you're wrong.

This is a bit out of nowhere but there's a show on the BBC called "Guilt" that I recently saw and it reminded me of TD. It's a dark comedy rather than a police thriller but it does have interesting plot twists and has that same dark, spartan aesthetic.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm really enjoying it so far. There are genuinely creepy moments and that hasn't been true since the dude in the bird mask from early s2.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What's interesting to me is trying to figure out how much of Danvers' bravado is genuine confidence vs. a mask she wears to hide her doubts. She started by completely brushing off the idea that the native woman's murder could be connected- was she really that convinced they weren't related, or was she revealing some guilt about not having found the killer? Does she feel guilty about it at all? Throw in the side dish of racism she's shown exhibiting and it makes for complex character that's fun to explore.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Show continues to be good. I like that they're not pulling punches with the town being full of lovely people.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
People and animals seeing / doing strange poo poo after being out on the ice is kind of a recurring thing in this season of this television show.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I thought this was pretty good? It's the moment in the story where the two demonstrate an actual interest in each other's hidden interior lives, and even though they're jabbing away as usual (aggression's their self-defense mechanism) the questions are coming from a place of genuine interest rather than their typical desire to assert themselves and get their licks in e.g. Navarro's mean joke earlier about Danvers having such a great sexual appetite that she'd try to gently caress her stepson.

It's the moment when I really bought them as being a good team.

sure but it was cringe and/or sounded like it was written by AI or [insert extremely lazy / bland / boring / generic unfalsifiable criticism here]

lol I will never understand the goon way of not only watching a show you don't like / don't care about, but feeling the need to post about how little you care about it.

Now this is good criticism:

Snowmanatee posted:

So after Pete correctly --in what I thought was a well-written part-- said you can't just crack a password protected phone, he shows up at the hospital and says "I cracked it" so the plot can move forward. As a Season 2 defender, I want to give this season a fair shake, but it's really making it hard for me!

I don't want to obsess over this one detail because there are bigger plotting/character issues, but Danvers being ignorant enough about technology that she thinks he can crack any phone because he had one good idea on using Face ID to unlock the scientist's, and then him being like "....what, no, I'm not a hacker or forensic tech guy" is pretty good writing. And then it's completely undercut by making Danvers right without explanation.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the TD season 1 thread bookmarked? Would love to check that out if it's still out there somewhere.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Whale Vomit posted:

A show where our young detective asks around and figures out how to exploit an old device would be better than it happening off screen to no purpose.

The purpose is Danvers trusting the young cop to be resourceful and independent. She's training him to be a good detective by empowering him to chase leads / threads on his own rather than waiting for directions. She knows he has a lovely overbearing father that waffles between neglect and violence, so she's delegating an important task to him as a sign of respect. She got super pissed at the accusation that she's grooming the kid. Probably because she actually cares about him and sees potential there.

Or you know you could just do lazy thread making GBS threads like a lot of others here.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

S3 ends on probably the best shot of the entire series.

Yeah, the season was good / ok but that ending shot is loving haunting. One of those moments that retroactively makes the whole thing better.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

HootTheOwl posted:

why is everyone so insistent on a virus?

I mean, it does fit what we know, and "scientists uncover something deadly due to global warming / digging in the dirt" is almost a trope now. It would possibly explain why people are having the hallucinations and visions. And it would also establish Evil Mining Corp(tm) as a main villain, which is pretty par for the course in the series.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I like what the above poster said about the jump scares being at least interesting because the main characters aren't immediately terrified. It gives a sense of how lovely it would be to have to actively filter out visuals like that, just to live your life.

It's pretty terrifying really. Not the scares themselves, but the thought of living like that. Jesus.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

HermitSupplier posted:

There's enjoyment in watching something that you think is a trainwreck! Besides, there's only 2 episodes left, might as well stay for the long haul.

Sure but the low effort "show bad" posts are tiresome. I think it's generally accepted that if you're posting in a thread about a show, that means you should be willing to expend some energy, time, and effort. If all you can summon is "show bad" then maybe just do something else? Criticism of the show is fine, and good actually. Just random bitching about it? Pretty boring stuff.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I think the issue is that people have been clear over and over that they recognize what the show is doing but are complaining that the show is telling them and not showing it. Even if it's an obvious motif it can still be done poorly. The guy you're replying to is unable to come to terms with that and thinks he's an enlightened television watcher.

can you please stop attacking posters? I know it's your MO according to your rap sheet but please keep it about the show and stop trying to make yourself appear superior to others on the internet

IMO this show is a really good example of rushed pacing. As others have pointed out, some of the plotlines (kid cop's marriage, the nomads living in the camp, etc) just haven't been given the room they need to be impactful. The show could have really benefitted from 2 more episodes, and a lot more introspection.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I fully admit that I was distracted during the first few minutes of the last ep but did anyone else find the complete lack of transition from them being at that site with Navarro having blood dripping out of her ears to them being back in town with no resolution to that scene quite jarring? I thought I had missed an episode in between the two?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I'm afraid they aren't going to address any of the supernatural poo poo and just make the viewer accept that ghosts are real and they sometimes lead people to murder scenes.

That sort of thing can work in a show like Fargo where there's a certain darkly comedic whacky Coen Bros vibe going, but it's done 100% serious here and is just a huge departure from the other seasons in tone. I get that anthologies can have variance between the seasons but it just seems a little too out there, and I would be more apt to overlook it if it weren't kind of lame on top of everything. "Rust's dad leads side character to the bodies" is just so not compelling IMO.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Lol why would Navarro not tell danvers about the taped confession until days / weeks / months later? Like what if the phone breaks or gets lost in the interim?

Purely contrived bullshit that stands up to zero scrutiny.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Why did rusts dad ghost point out the location of the bodies? Like what was the motive? Are there different ghost factions with different goals and interests?

And if those cleaning ladies found all that evidence of wrongdoing, surely they would have found evidence of the book cooking and leaked it? Why didn't they do more beyond just avenging annie personally? They are the ones dealing with these stillbirths, I'd think they would be most motivated to get the mine shut down.

Man the more I think about this the worse it gets. It's bad enough to make ghosts real, but to have them do these nonsensical things just to drive the plot forward...it's so pedestrian.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 19, 2024

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I think it's kind of lovely to quote someone's 8 year old posts as a gotcha to insinuate they are being dishonest with their criticism and are actually bigoted pieces of poo poo just lashing out at anything resembling feminism. People are allowed to change and grow- poo poo, I know I'm a lot better on most issues than I was 8 years ago. Show a little grace IMO

I don't think the criticism is against feminism, I think most of it stems from piss poor execution and writing. The idea of an indigenous vigilante group of women killing the killers is a very good one, and it's a twist that few if anyone saw coming. But that's mostly because the season was so muddled and frankly contained a bunch of ridiculous poo poo that ended up amounting to nothing. Looking back at the TD S1 thread, several people guessed the killer as soon as they came on screen early in the season, but that didn't detract from it and there wasn't a need to bury a twist in a bunch of plot threads that didn't go anywhere. Having the cleaning ladies be the culprits could have worked extremely well with a season of tv that supported that idea along the way instead of throwing ghosts and lovely CG polar bears at the audience as essentially distractions.

The omnipresent need for a shocking / surprising reveal claims yet another victim. It very much seems like the idea of the women killing the scientists was the original / foundational idea of the season and everything worked backwards from that. The S1 references, the opening scene with the caribou, the ghost visions, the spooky camper, all of those feel very tacked on instead of being written into the fabric of the story.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

For those who haven't seen it, here is the full sermon from s1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoIvozv-md4
the bit part actors absolutely do so well in their roles.

Having just finished a rewatch of season 1, this scene really takes on more meaning when compared to Rust's near death revelation.

As Rust nears the end, he perceives a vast darkness. The void isn't a void though, it is warm and contains the loving essences of his daughter and father. Here, the preacher describes the end as a shower of light that will warm us in eternal comfort.

Rust and the preacher also address the cyclical nature of our existence. For rust, it's a flat circle where all the pain and suffering happens again forever. The preacher also says that at the end we will discover the beginning, and the discovery will be joyous.

Christianity is not portrayed in a very positive light in the show, but the writing as a way of making its best points clear to the viewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Everything in the show was written around the big set-piece of a bunch of indigenous ladies getting to look badass and committing a mass murder, which we all agree is cool and good and just.

Yeah, the more I've sat with it, the more I believe this to be the case. And it's not like that's an inherently bad approach, it just becomes bad when it's this incredibly obvious. Good writers can start with the end in mind and work backwards to create a story that flows organically to that conclusion. This was definitely not that. It reeked of a writer's room with less-than-talented people throwing out random poo poo and whatever passed a threshold of "ooh wow cool" got included, even when those things were the opposite of cool (the twist and shout on repeat thing, the polar bear, the electric light effect, the S1 throwbacks, etc etc)

I enjoyed the show until the finale, when not much came together and the "reveal" ended up being pretty shallow in terms of how natural it felt within the story.