Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Season 4 is canon, previous seasons are whatifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

The show's thesis is clearly that Alaska is a mental illness. The series will end with Peter and Kayla taking their kid and Leah and leaving Alaska while the rest of the cast succumb to the madness.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

TheBizzness posted:

Honestly the audience score on RT is USUALLY a safe barometer. The critics score though lol no

Lmao

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Tbh I thought he was going to just shoot himself

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

The space heaters are the people Danvers hosed along the way

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Any crime story set in Chicago where the police didn't end up being the killers is frankly more out there than Night Country

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

I hated the ending of Broadchurch S1, felt like it turned into pure schlock. Watched 1 ep of S2 and checked out :shrug:

I liked Mare of Easttown a lot though, it really captured a vibe, moreso than this show is trying to with its dumb pointing ghosts

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

It's not unexpected but also decidedly weird that the most socially conscious and outspoken on human rights generation perhaps ever is willing to bend to an autocratic regime's censorship quirks. I've spoken about this with my sister, younger siblings of friends, and children of people I know about this. Almost to a one they are intelligent, well educated, and well informed but they didn't piece together that these are rules set by the Chinese government and/or a company in fear of Chinese government censors. They all told me they thought it was just something the company did because sensitive people would complain otherwise.

To be clear, are you saying that YouTube lowers visibility on their videos to appease China? Because that's quite a take.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

General Dog posted:

It was better than House of Usher at least

House of Usher owns

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

Turning a big dial labeled "pollution" and constantly looking back at the scientists like a contestant on the Price is RIght

That's my favorite detail because it would have been completely trivial to rewrite that in a way that reaches the same conclusion but doesn't sound stupid:

"We pumped in hazardous chemicals to drill into the ice more quickly, which leaked into the water and poisoned the local community."

This is basically a thing that already happens in the actual US!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/12/climate/epa-pfas-fracking-forever-chemicals.html

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Kawabata posted:

Yep. The family drama worked very well in the first season too.

But that was 2014. There was more courage in doing whatever you wanted to do, we live in very different times now. I'm all for inclusivity in Hollywood/TV when it doesn't make the poo poo I'm watching preachy as gently caress (even when I agree with what's preaching, I feel it's a dumb thing to do) and when it doesn't become tokenism just for the sake of it. Lopez got a bit overboard with the "men are dumb or violent or handsome angels waiting for the hero woman to come back home" tropes that we've been seeing all over tv for the past 3 years or so.

And yeah this last episode felt like a feminist's wet dream at times. Just very silly stuff.

Kawabata posted:

it just occurred to me that your next first lady is going to be a no class slutty looking gold digger mail order bride

has this been addressed in the thread?

i feel it might be important

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kawabata posted:

"Why is it that even when telling the stories of women, conflict is centered round the white male struggle?"

did the loving retard who wrote the article even watch the movie in its entirety

Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I think it's kind of lovely to quote someone's 8 year old posts as a gotcha to insinuate they are being dishonest with their criticism and are actually bigoted pieces of poo poo just lashing out at anything resembling feminism. People are allowed to change and grow- poo poo, I know I'm a lot better on most issues than I was 8 years ago. Show a little grace IMO

I don't think the criticism is against feminism, I think most of it stems from piss poor execution and writing. The idea of an indigenous vigilante group of women killing the killers is a very good one, and it's a twist that few if anyone saw coming. But that's mostly because the season was so muddled and frankly contained a bunch of ridiculous poo poo that ended up amounting to nothing. Looking back at the TD S1 thread, several people guessed the killer as soon as they came on screen early in the season, but that didn't detract from it and there wasn't a need to bury a twist in a bunch of plot threads that didn't go anywhere. Having the cleaning ladies be the culprits could have worked extremely well with a season of tv that supported that idea along the way instead of throwing ghosts and lovely CG polar bears at the audience as essentially distractions.

The omnipresent need for a shocking / surprising reveal claims yet another victim. It very much seems like the idea of the women killing the scientists was the original / foundational idea of the season and everything worked backwards from that. The S1 references, the opening scene with the caribou, the ghost visions, the spooky camper, all of those feel very tacked on instead of being written into the fabric of the story.

Lmao the only reason I bothered to check his history is because that post was so bad it set off that sixth sense where you can tell the poster has Thoughts About Women

It's particularly funny that in the literal True Detective thread, multiple posters read that and are like "Yup seems like a completely normal opinion to me!"