Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gonz posted:

*watches the season premiere*

What we’ve got here is a Dyatlov Pass scenario.

I listened to the official podcast episode about the creation of the season, and Issa Lopez actually cites both Dyatlov Pass and the Mary Celeste as inspirations for the season. I feel like the Flannan Isles lighthouse disappearance also has to be an inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

joepinetree posted:

True Detective season 1 for me is the best self contained one season of any show. There are better seasons out there (leftovers season 2) but they were part of longer running narratives. As a stand alone one season and done, TD1 is my favorite by a wide margin.

I might say Station Eleven, but True Detective S1 is definitely very, very high up on the pedestal for me.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This really is leaning pretty blatantly into Dyatlov Pass down to specific details, haha. Mixed with the season 1 X-Files episode “Ice.”

VagueRant posted:

True Detective: We Keep Our Bras On During Sex.

Also I realise the series has had all kinds of horrendous behaviour to establish antihero protagonists, but it might be too far to establish one as the kind of terrible boss who says "you stay up all night away from your family for the job. Anyway, I'm going to go set up a christmas tree and catch some dick."

It’s funny, in interviews Jodi Foster talks about what a horrible, unlikeable person Danvers is, while Kali Reis talks about how Nevarro is really a softie who cares so much about everyone around her.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

Pretty sure there's an episode of Pushing Daisies called "Corpsicle" as well. lmao

I associate the term with 70s sci-fi where it was always used to refer to people frozen in cryogenic sleep. Larry Niven used it in a ton of his stories.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Every bit of public discussion of this season Lopez has done sounds like she’s delivering a prepared statement at gunpoint. Someone could just tell the truth about having to replace something at the last minute or someone making a mistake. Mistakes can be endearing and funny. People love that part of Star Wars where Mark Hamill yells “Carrie!” at the end.

Every interview I've seen or heard of her is her just doubling down on how much she loves season 1 and how inspired she was by season 1, to the degree that it really comes across as a mandate to remind people of it. She even claimed in one I just listened to that she cast Jodi Foster because Silence of the Lambs was an influence on Seven, which was an influence on season 1, so she wanted to go back to the deep inspiration for the first season. In the end just being so repeatedly blatant about season 1 I really think is a disservice to this season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The_Rob posted:

People keep saying the mystery blends reality but I’d love to know where there’s ever been a crime of a bunch of scientists frozen together with their tongues cut out.

I mean, they weren’t scientists and it wasn’t (probably) a crime but a lot of the details here are essentially taken from the actual Dyatlov Pass deaths.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HK5000 posted:

Great to see Christopher Eccleston, though its hard for me to process him with an American or adjacent accent.

You should watch The Leftovers.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

I stand by my interpretation that they never got into trouble at the end of SE01. I don't know why all the summaries and reviews claimed that 'The Tuttles are not arrested but lose their high places in society'. How do you get that from 'The FBI and the Department of Justice strongly disclaim any allegations that US Senator Tuttle had any relation to the suspect'. In a more light-hearted show this could be meant to imply the wheels are rolling. Not here.

I mean, the Tuttles getting away completely free is basically just text, not even subtext. It’s just that everyone in the online “review/recapped/ENDING EXPLAINED!” sphere have absolutely no media literacy or analytical skills and are writing for people who are the same.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Who has a college test on December 23?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

On the other hand, "choompa loompa" got a belly laugh from me.

The Ringer, in a rare bit of helpfulness, gave me some context I was missing on Pete's son's drawing from the first episode:

It, for better or worse, seems more directly tied to the season's mysticism than the green eared spaghetti monster of S1.

I can see conclusions (of varying satisfaction) ranging from Sedna's real and the scientists opened Adlivun (making them, not Silver Star, responsible for the state of the water) to a militant Sedna cult purging their land of outsiders (note that our three most pivotal deaths prior to the corpiscle were all Iñupiaq who had relationships with outsiders) - with the ambiguous possibility that they truly are receiving supernatural help - to the well worn "microbes in the ice causing insanity and playing on the collective unconscious", especially as those we've been shown to see hallucinations are well-versed in the mythos (stretching a bit for the pilot's hallucinations, chalking up the delivery guy's girl in the distance to general American horror and the scientists to what they were taught by their equipment guy before he hosed off to the nomad camp).

Interestingly Sedna as a real entity plays a major role in the backstory to The Terror, though I think the TV adaptation dropped that entirely.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

The only thing I have against it is that the recap sites and Twitter took the exact wrong thing from the spectacular ending. 'Ooooh. So he never left Vietnam. This was all just in his head. Like a test for the afterlife.' No. That's not literal. I don't even care if Nic came out and says it was meant to be.

Jacob’s Ladder scenario.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Watching the season made me go back and watch the X-Files episode “Ice” last night, and so there’s at least one top tier episode that this season has provided for me!

muscles like this! posted:

Navarro's sister being found instantly is kind of bizarre.

I think the season trying to do one episode a day doesn’t help, it makes a lot of things seem really rushed.

wolfs posted:

Why the jump to Friday night instead of Sunday??

Super Bowl this Sunday.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The Leads Aren't Cops:
State of Play

It's a six part British miniseries that they butchered into a forgettable Russell Crowe movie remake. The original is fantastic and has a ton of recognizable actors.

The whole thing is on Dailymotion for some dumb reason.

State of Play is great and yeah, it has an absolutely stacked cast that is basically a who's-who of 2000s British actors. Also it's kind of crazy that director went on to basically do nothing but Harry Potter stuff for 20 years.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I will say that I liked the shot in the final episode where Navarro is standing with the flashlight in her parka outshining her face and making her look like the cover art of The Thing. That was a cool shot.

Mordja posted:

-First off, there's the fact that they're all men. The only reason for this is so the show can have its Big Empowering Moment later on.

It's also funny considering how heavily the dead scientists were based on Dyatlov Pass which had women among the victims.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ithle01 posted:

The actions of the scientists at Tsalal make more sense if you imagine the research station as akin to a medieval monastery in the middle of nowhere and remember that medieval monks were well known for being batshit crazy.

I mean… there are actually quite a lot of arctic and Antarctic other remote research bases in reality and I don’t think the people staffing them tend to be crazy or maladjusted or homicidal.

Or like the poster above talking about “well, maybe there’s a reason women wouldn’t want to be part of an Arctic crew including males!” Despite the fact that mixed gender Arctic bases have been a thing since the 1950s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

True Detective really was at the forefront of that period of time where everything had to Actually Be About Trauma.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Toaster Beef posted:

Their version of it tends to be podcasts. TLOU and Chernobyl each had one, and those were pretty good listens.

Station Eleven’s was really good, too.

On the other hand I listened to the first two for Night Country and really don’t think they added a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cithen posted:

This *might* get me to try AppleTV.

Apple has a lot of good stuff on it. Not as much overall stuff as other services but the hit rate is probably higher than average.