Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Obviously this is not anywhere near the level of season 1, but the premise and atmosphere has intrigued me more than S2 and S3 for sure. I hope they just go full supernatural, TBH - while I thought it was decent, the writing isn't exactly strong enough to be able to pull off pure existential dread so I'd rather just have a cool monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Why on earth did the son cop have to skulk around secretly to take the documents from the dad cop even though the police chief had told him to go get the documents? They aren't his documents. They're both cops. Why was this a point of tension

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Places far from civilization are far from civilization. Normally insubordination would get you replaced or some bigger patrolmen would show up and take the records from him. In a mining town in Alaska there is no one to replace him and no backup.

Not sure I get you. He didn't seem to give a poo poo about the documents when asked about them at the police station where he had to be reminded that he even had them at his house. If there's some ulterior motive or if he's a bad person they did a really bad job of making it seem that way instead of him just being kind of a dumb/lazy cop, like when he was looking at his phone during the investigation.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When I heard that season 2 was going to be about the transportation system I figured a good theme would be the hidden depths and societies of the subway tunnels and poo poo like that. Especially if you wanted to do more cosmic horror, there are many good venues there - I just thought what we got was spectacularly boring. I don't really even remember much about it outside of Colin Farrell's faildad antics.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

We have Deadwood at home

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I actually really like the mystery so far - it's very eerie and the whole idea that Ennis is just so far up north that it's where the world will start to unravel is a great concept. Frankly I hope they just go supernatural with it, because I don't want them to try and contort themselves out of the (flesh) pretzel that this has already set up.

I don't like the characters at all, though. They're all acting like horrible shitheads for absolutely no reason other than to just have endless forced character friction. Just Be Normal, people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think this show is awful, but it really lacks the confidence of the previous seasons, and it's relying on so many tired and lazy writing tropes and it's not like the acting is carrying it like it was in season 3.

Jodie Foster: "LMAO you pray???? Talk to your god????????"

Navarro: "No.............. I listen................."

Jodie Foster: *Stunned silence over how insightful this comment was*

Like come on

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I never would've even known there was any connection with season 1 if I didn't check Twitter, it's such a small thing that's not important or worth getting riled up about and Nic Pizza is an unprofessional child even if this show isn't great.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I have zero love for season 2 and the writing in season 3 was loving bananas awful but it was carried by Mahershala, and so far no one in Night Country is able to pull that weight, even Jodie Foster. Unless it gets dramatically worse I think it'll end up being maybe a little above average for this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cranappleberry posted:

the writers of s1 thought the nonsense coming out of Cohle's mouth was cool+real as hell.

They were correct