Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Rereading the season one thread, I really miss the out there speculation. I think that the True Detective franchise tag is a soft spoiler and bad for the show because it limits the range of the story. TD1 benefitted from no previous lore because it could go anywhere. Now it probably can't.

Even if it hadn't been shoehorned in, the vast Tuttle empire clues were never going to go anywhere because TD is a very Serious Franchise and hinting at the huge fireworks factory that is just off screen is part of that. We can never go there and you're a rube for wanting to, actually. The supernatural will always be ambiguous and there will be a plausible and unsatisfying resolution to the main mystery.

If the show was just Night Country though there's a broader range of potential up to and including Danvers blowing up a Wendigo with a rocket launcher. If the franchise continues I think it would really benefit from a shakeup to the formula whether that is an objective supernatural event or major victory against lurking Big Evil to broaden the range of possibilities going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Things I'm unclear on:

How old is Leah? In the first episode I guessed like 17 but now I'm unsure and could be talked into as high as 23.

How big is Ennis?

The town seems to be entirely elastic to accommodate the plot. It's been kind of fun keeping a running tally of services available.

Coroner/Forensic pathologist: lol no
Medical Trauma center: yes
Inpatient rehab: yes
Dentist: no

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Thinking about the Truest Detective rn

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like the show, it's good enough to nitpick

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Leads Aren't Cops:
State of Play

It's a six part British miniseries that they butchered into a forgettable Russell Crowe movie remake. The original is fantastic and has a ton of recognizable actors.

The whole thing is on Dailymotion for some dumb reason.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Bridge is a fun watch because of all the remakes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Deadite posted:

I’ve been enjoying watching it but I’m probably missing a lot because I can’t tell the difference between the Swedes and the Danes and I’m not sure which country they are in half of the time

Perhaps you'd enjoy the British/French remake with Stannis and an autistic blond or the U.S./Mexican version with Matthew Lillard and an autistic blond.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Disco Elysium is basically True Detective: The Game

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The native ladies are the True Detectives.

The two things that bugged me the most:

1. The subterranean geography in general. For all 30 seconds of ice cave spelunking shown on screen, their ice cave ingress spot had to be no more than 1000 feet from the research station. Also, 30 feet from ice cave stable enough to accommodate the secret evil lab for years is deep open water covered by 1 inch of ice.

2. The extremely localized blizzard that knocked out power to Tsalal, made travel impossible except for when it didn't, left no snow on the ice, and cleared completely by midnight.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
In retrospect, the Tsalal station bros were remarkably cool about their murder partner slowly breaking down about killing his girlfriend and vanishing for long stretches of time to build an evidence dump.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Twist and Shout dirge had me wheeze laughing.

I love how the scientist dude took the time to reset Ferris Bueller's infinite day off.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I really wonder if the True Detectives (internal affairs) who showed up at the end were meant to be a season long framing device.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The thing that bugs me is Annie finds the secret lab, okay fine, but the things she finds are all completely consistent with the type of both equipment (drilling) and results (ice cores) that one would find as a result of their legit work. Absent a whiteboard message of Always Be Evil I don't see what she saw that would necessitate the freak out.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean, if I was running a secret evil lab I'd probably mop my own floors but

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Oh your girlfriend's an anti mining activist? Sure she can sleep over unattended

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I like how the True Detectives stared at a full forensic handprint of killer missing fingers and shrugged only to put two and two together instantly when they were presented with the same information on a way less ideal format and I can only assume they got the same patronizing flashback the viewer did.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
While we're throwing out alternative True Detective itch scratchers I'll give a plug for Limetown which has a unbielevable lead, the Stanley Tucci in support and a delightfully creepy vibe. It was doomed to die on the brief yet disasterous "Facebook Watch" platform. The show is based on a podcast of the same name which was also excellent.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I feel like Season Two was the last time the show had ambition to be great, even if it whiffed. Three and Four in retrospect seem to be built on the first principle of "make it like Season One but tweak it a little bit."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Twist should have been that he solves the case semiannually. The Twist on the Twist should have been that every previous solve, including the original, was wrong.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
On a lark we're going back through Fortitude and it's amazing how much better it looks with way less money behind it (though it wasn't cheap itself).

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Season 2's cardinal sin wasn't that it failed. It was that it tried to do something different. Whatever HBO is now will never make that mistake again and every subsequent season since has and will be "season 1 with x twist"

Hope you like two leads with complementary flaws battling their inner demons while existing near a spooky case that implies, but never conclusively proves, the existence of both the supernatural and massive child trafficking organizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Product will contain 1 (one) set piece action episode.*

*Offer not valid if labor gets uppity during production cycle.