Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I actually like this season. Despite all its faults it's really entertaining.

I found it really suspicious that a company would spend so much money and effort to recover a totally unknown microorganism. There must be some kind of backstory to this. Maybe ancient natives had contact with the bacteria and documented its properties. That camper scientist looks like he might have been a Tuttle abuse victim, so maybe he got into cults up north and discovered these stories and got the funding rolling for a scientific recovery project.

Also, the obligatory ranking:

- S1 was lightning in a bottle. Absolutely fantastic.

- S2 was okayish, but was just "too much". Too much in every way. Too cringe. They needed to dial down from 11.

- I remember almost nothing from S3. I'm 100% sure I saw it(the protagonist has dementia and there were some child murders). But that's pretty much it. Amazingly bland and forgettable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Agree that there is a lot of interesting stuff going on with the character. She's definitely not bland. I didn't even get that she's an rear end in a top hat and bad person until way into episode 2. I'm just so used to the "grumpy ol' police chief with a secret heart of gold" trope that I kept projecting that on her. But nope, just a huge rear end in a top hat, through and true.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Snowmanatee posted:

So after Pete correctly --in what I thought was a well-written part-- said you can't just crack a password protected phone, he shows up at the hospital and says "I cracked it" so the plot can move forward. As a Season 2 defender, I want to give this season a fair shake, but it's really making it hard for me!

I don't want to obsess over this one detail because there are bigger plotting/character issues, but Danvers being ignorant enough about technology that she thinks he can crack any phone because he had one good idea on using Face ID to unlock the scientist's, and then him being like "....what, no, I'm not a hacker or forensic tech guy" is pretty good writing. And then it's completely undercut by making Danvers right without explanation.

AAAAAH, this is literally how it works. You can't get access to an encrypted phone in theory, but in practice there are countless known exploits for specific older devices and Android versions that let you bypass the login & encryption. Especially for low end android phones from 2016 like in the show, it's very plausible that he found a working exploit after searching online for a while. It's literally as easy as putting it into Google.

People need to stop getting angry at this show over completely imagined plot holes. Wtf is happening

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a plot hole because we're told it's an obstacle but never told how it's overcome. If it was that easy why did he say it wasn't, and if it wasn't then how did he do it so fast

It's not an obstacle. The writers use the phone encryption/lock screen so that they don't have to deal with the information from the phone immediately when the phone is introduced, but when they actually want to and when it would be good for the story. It's one of the most basic storytelling techniques in the world. The goddamn Greeks did it already when Zeus was out of office for the day and Hercules had to come back the next day to speak to him or whatever

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

With all these ghost jump scares this doesn't feel like True Detective at all anymore. It's clearly a completely new IP that they just rebranded during pre-production.

Admittedly, I did sleep through most of the episode but from reading this thread I didn't really miss anything important so my opinion still stands

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

So, Sean Penn agreed to murder an innocent guy and the chief of police for a promotion and pay hike?

Yeah, ok, he wasn't portrayed as the most trustworthy guy in town, but straight up double murder of two innocent people is a really extreme escalation.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

DaveKap posted:

I don't really know what else I want to even say about this silly show so I'll just go with "Prior's darting eyeballs as he's talking to Davner's daughter through the cell window made it look like he was falling in love and it was weird."

Hell, same. The directing in that scene was really weird. It was fine when he put his chin on the little window flap while talking, but then he starts eating while his chin is still resting on it and his looks become really, really creepy. Like, what the gently caress was the instruction from the director here? "Ok, great, can you do it again, but this time make our skin crawl?"

The actor is absolutely fine in every other scene, so I don't think this is on him.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, but there are also more people overall on earth now than there were 10 years ago. And there must be many other good explanations for these numbers that are not just "it's actually not that bad".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Well, that finale was ... unfortunate.

It feels like they cut out 1-2 episodes worth of material. So much poo poo got absolutely no resolve or even mention. They had these hints that the ancient microorganism got out (the tongue showing no decay and Jodie Foster seeing some weird slime where it was found and that one scientist survived being frozen/thawed) and it got absolutely no follow up. What was even up with that tongue? Did Jean Penn cut it out? Who put it under the table then and why? Are these leftover setups for Night Country S2 that they couldn't manage to remove from the script without huge rewrites in time?

Also, why did Navarro kill herself? I must have missed a scene or something.

Overall, I gotta say rebranding this as True Detective was a very bad decision. Yes, you got a viewer bump out of it, but the True Detective brand is basically dead. It's just some random rear end dime a dozen anthology show now and that's not what HBO lives off AFAIK

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

It is apparent that most of you do not understand good TV.

We are all in bad TV country now

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jeep posted:

I don’t know why lol but this is the thing that gets me the most about the finale. They went out of their way to highlight the tongue several times (asking both Clarke and the Hit Squad who had placed it at Tsalal, showing the strange substance where it had previously been on the floor in the kitchen), but then never actually follow it up. I figured, Oh, I must have just missed something, but I guess not.

They have a 6 seasons arc planned so they can't just give away all the answers in the first season. You gonna have to wait for True Detective 5: Night Country 2 for the tongue reveal

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, I totally forgot about Otis. His mysterious injuries never got an explanation.

I hope the original script(before the rebranding) leaks at some point. I doubt it was anywhere close to being such a mess.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

College Rockout posted:

It's not a secret room. There's no indication that it's kept a secret. The scientists didn't start falsifying the data until after a certain point. Presumably the ice core drilling room would've already been built like that because we don't see another one. They're drilling ice core samples. The room's suppose to be there. The entrance is hidden sure, but maybe it's because it's a big rear end hole with a 50 foot drop and they didn't want people breaking their necks? Or tripping over the hatch?

For a regular hatch you'd want the floor cover to be as easy to open as possible, which means it needs a handle or a small opening where your hand can get in. Building a remote electric/mechanical opening mechanism is a huge effort and completely unnecessary unless you are trying to keep the entrance secret.

Also, apparently the button for the opening is so well hidden that people who have been cleaning that lab for years never discovered it and neither did the cops. A non-secret lab would put that button somewhere where it's easy to reach and see and very likely label it.

e: come on man, it's a secret lab that made sense in an earlier draft but is out of place in the script they filmed

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

If Annie K figured it out why couldn't the cleaner posse?

Anyway, the show goes to great lengths to show that the indigenous people do not want the outside authorities around, and do not trust them (with good reason!) We learn in the show that someone in the police force is in the mine's pocket and literally helped cover up the original murder, and is willing to kill to keep covering up stuff, and the police brass from Anchorage are also in the mine's pocket and trying to shut down investigations to protect them. The cops who aren't openly corrupt are still busting up heads as the mine's goon squad.

Like I dunno I find a lot of issues in this show, but "These indigenous people distrusted the police and handled this situation in a way I personally don't think is plausible" isn't one I'd agree with.

They didn't handle it though. The murder of the scientists doesn't solve anything. The research data and the secret lab are safe and the company will just send over another couple of scientists and the poisoning of the community will continue.

If they had just made a copy of the data they found and sent it in anonymously to all the largest national newspapers/media, that would have been "handling it". It's what got the mine completely closed in the end.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ray Velcro's long lost cousin Hank Velcro pisses himself and then looks at the camera

Hank Velcro: "I'm apoplectic"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

joepinetree posted:

I think this show has a very good central idea: poor, indigenous women are treated as invisible by society, so no one cares when one of them is murdered, but that invisibility then allows other women to exact vigilante justice back.

Yes, but also kinda no? IIRC the lab main plot would work more or less the same if you switch the genders of all the involved people. It feels more like a plot about oppression of native people in general. Unlike TD s1 or the recent Fargo season it doesn't examine forms of violence and oppression that disproportionately affect women.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol:love:

I don't know how people can not like that season. Yes, ok, it certainly has its fault, but it is also a genuinely creative work of art with a unique interesting aesthetic style and artistic voice. The acting was fantastic. It has a lot of memorable scenes. S4 feels like soulless forgettable gruel in comparison(not that it is a bad season of TV in absolute terms, it's just not doing anything special, interesting or memorable)

I pissed myself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Fn7GZjR0Q&t=140s

Medical researchers use this to induce depression in test subjects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mszf5Jcgzc

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toaster Beef posted:

I feel like most of the defenses of season two come down to it being a satire, and my problem with that defense is it basically waves away any instances of over-the-top bad writing or delivery with "well you can't take that seriously, it's a satire" — as though Nic Pizzolatto has ever done anything other than demand to be taken very seriously. They have a word for satire that doesn't realize it's satire: trash.

Sure, that scene when Velcoro gets shot, meets an Elvis impersonator in the afterlife and then wakes up declaring that he pissed himself was totally, 100% intended to be serious. Absolutely not satirizing the genre. Ffs, look at the makeup they put on Lera Lynn(the bar witch) in all her scenes. They drew dark circles under her eyes and sprayed her with water. She looks like she's going through a heroin withdrawal while signing. It's so incredibly and intentionally over the top.

S1 had its satirical elements too. Cohle is clearly a caricature of a human being. Every second word out of his mouth is just satirizing the self-important noir genre and people who take themselves way too serious, like reddit Atheist or whatever those roko's basilisk guys are called.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Started a s2 rewatch and there is absolutely no doubt that it slaps. It's all so extremely over the top though. Vslcoro just wailing on rear end pen's dad with some brass knuckles, Ani stashing something like 10 knives all over her body or Woodrow's maximally oblivious girlfriend. And everything and everyone is just so miserable and angry. But it all still kinda works because there is also some weird levity to all of it due to the jokes and it refusing to take itself seriously.

Also, I can totally see why it was received so badly. It doesn't feel like s1 at all. S1 was laser focused on the central murder mystery from the very first scene. S2 doesn't even have a central mystery till the very last one. The ensemble cast is a much bigger focus and the tone is very different and less serious.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Finally finished the s2 rewatch and it's really, really good. I would put it on almost the same level as s1 now. Don't be a tough guy, don't be a fool, rewatch it!

I tried looking online why I(and most other people) had such a mixed impression of it back then and most threads on Reddit have the same pattern where almost all the >5 years old posts are hating on it for pedantic reasons and every newer post made after the initial release is loving and praising it. Must have been a planet wide gas leak or something around the release date.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

So why did Fiona Shaw know how to dismember people to make them disappear?

It's a non-elective course for the mysterious wise old hermit lady degree. They can all do that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think every actor gave their best with the dialogue they were given. Pizzolatto REALLY needed an editor. You know it's a problem when every character has the same weird vocabulary that hasn't been common since maybe the 70s (it especially made me cringe anytime ended a sentence describing something with "like". No one says this!)

I mean, it's OK to not like it, but IMO that's intentional. Vinci is a place out of time. A modern version of a 1920s noir gangster town that somehow coexists with modern day LA. Everything about it feels intentionally strange and surreal, including the language and mannerisms of the few inhabitants.

The season in general has a very surreal feeling to it. There are multiple dream scenes and hallucinations. The bar scenes feel otherworldly. The color palette in most scenes has a washed out industrial tint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It's very similar to what happened with S2 of The Wire. People REALLY did not like them doing new things and IIRC it almost killed the show. Nowadays S2 is usually considered to be one of the best. After that they introduced new characters very sparingly and always tried to connect them to the established cast somehow.

But of course that doesn't really work for an anthology show like TD where you have a totally new cast each season(they tried with Tuttle and Cohle references this season, but it's all just cringe). The only thing you can bring over from S1 to make the viewers feel familiar are the character dynamics, the plot structure, cinematography, artistic style, etc.. And that's how we got S3. It's S1 with a palette swap.