Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Bad cg animals were probably to save budget money to spend on something else. They could have been obscured a little better, but maybe the story needed to see their eyes moving and focusing on stuff--who knows?

I know. this season is gonna stink lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol spiral on the forehead. preemptively giving this turd a 2/10

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

The_Rob posted:

Which to me would be awful. I’m fine with there being some relationship to season 1 but it’s gonna be part of your main story?

it’s ******** lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they used all their money on bad licensed music and worse cgi. posters are 100% ai

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I really hate that Travis is Rusts dad.

it sucks rear end like this season lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they’re going to lean into it as far as they have with the spiral being on people’s foreheads and tattooed on them lol which is to say extremely far

I’d be happy to be wrong, but it’s 1/3st over so my expectations are incredibly low

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

remembering WE ARE ALL DEAD lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

TheBizzness posted:

I really want to rewatch season 1 before this season ends but I can’t until I finish Fargo (1 ep into season 4) and I don’t think I’m gonna make it.

insane move to watch the worst season of fargo (4) and true detective (4) at the same time lol

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao just watched the newest episode. this turd is getting stinkier

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Sickening posted:

Some of yall are so loving bored you are going to hatewatch the entire season.

I think you’re from Maine :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao this episode. no ice caves. no, ice caves

incredible writing

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao the polar bear

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao ah yes tuttle united great callbacks A+ show

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the cracking ice scene at the sea. incredible

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dudes rock

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Poo Detected

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

It's especially silly because they're small town cops, they probably leave the office at 4:00 until the, you know, crime of the century happened. Also she's training to be a nurse, a job that famously keeps regular hours. :rolleyes:

she’ll be working the two easiest jobs ever :D

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The caves will contain the script for True Detective Season Four.

single ply?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they’re in the Night Country now

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol I think this season might be bad

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol the loving orange peel

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao he said the thing

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao what a ******** ending

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dogshit season lol good riddance

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao remembering the scene of fat old women slowly assembling

incredible finale

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

DaveKap posted:

I've been trying to analyze for myself just why it is I wanted the supernatural elements of True Detective to not only be more present in the series, but also more real, which is what got me excited for this season in the first place yet, despite being real, completely fell flat for me. First I'll just explain that I'm saying "the spooky stuff is real" because there are many times in the series that completely unexplained, similar events happen to multiple characters. The ghost girl visits more than one person, the orange is thrown at more than one person, "she's awake" is heard by more than one person, and then there's Anne's tongue, which the vigilante ladies have zero reason to lie about. Navarro is constantly visiting the afterlife, she talks to Danvers dead kid and her mother (or maybe sister but I'm going with mother because they could've shown her sister's face if it was her) to get her real name, so the afterlife is real too. At least out here in Night Country. OK, so we've established there is a real, supernatural element here. Then why isn't it fun?

Now I think (sorry for bringing it up again if you haven't watched it or don't like it [which makes you a crazy person]) about Fargo and the fact that it has very real supernatural elements. Why is it that the supernatural stuff in that show works but in this one it doesn't? Why did it work in Season 1 but not Season 4? I don't have a full answer but I think I have a hint of it and maybe this is a discussion people would be interested in carrying.

I think the question is how much of the show is supernatural and how much does it matter. In Fargo, you could describe the actions of the supernatural in 1-5 sentences per season. It's very sparse, just enough to be curious but not enough to warrant investigation. In all cases, it also doesn't really matter what the supernatural element is. It's shown or mentioned, a result occurs from it, and the show moves on. There's no real concern over why it happens, no concern over the implications of it being a real thing, it's merely there to move a plot point (sometimes) and the show goes on. It's almost cute, in a way, even if it's something spooky. I'm being vague and not providing exact details because I wouldn't want to spoil that show for anyone, ever.

Then you come to Night Detective where the supernatural elements are thick and meaty, constantly referred to by then native people of the area, known in stories and song. It interjects into the lives of those who do not believe in it, it becomes a reason for actions, and it is the resolution to asked questions. Yet despite all the importance of these spooky goings ons, the show simply says "make of it what you will." It shrugs hard. "A story is just a story" is the conclusion we get. "Is it all real? Maybe!" says the producer during an interview. And it's happening in a detective/mystery show. Now, maybe this is why it leaves a bad taste in the mouth but then the question becomes, what would have worked?

And I honestly don't know.

it works in fargo because it is well written unlike night country. simple as

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MechaSeinfeld posted:

The singing witch in the divebar out of time kicks rear end

yup

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I Love Elvis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU