Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The impression I have is that Prior senior was either demoted in favor of Danvers or was passed over for promotion to chief in favor of Danvers, and as a result has a problem cooperating with the new chief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The story of season 1 is kind of mid. And the first episode was only decent for that season. But the cinematography was out of this world and the acting was amazing for every single role. I think it wasn't until episode 4 or 5 that I went from "this is a good show" to "this is an all time great season of television."

So at least for me its a bit too early to form an opinion on this season. It made me think more than once of the x files episode, so this season has that extra layer of difficulty. The critics I generally trust who received screeners seemed to really like it, so I am optmistic.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I can only think of 2 seasons of TV I never finished. TD season 2 and last season of dexter.

Last season of dexter was me actively deciding it was too stupid and not continuing it. TD2 was me simply forgetting about the show and a couple of months later going "oh yeah, i was watching this"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
"The acting" and "the cinematography" aren't "vague words."

Like, remember when Mexican tv did a shot for shot version of breaking bad in Spanish? And instead of being an all time great show it was comically bad and universally panned because the actors were much worse and the cinematography was crap?

Matthew McConaughey can pull off

quote:

Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel. It's catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he's effective at proportion to the amount of certainty he can project. Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain. Dulls critical thinking.

Most other actors couldn't.

Much like the oner scene in episode 4 or 5 makes that an all time great sequence, as opposed to a run of the mill heist.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
True Detective season 1 for me is the best self contained one season of any show. There are better seasons out there (leftovers season 2) but they were part of longer running narratives. As a stand alone one season and done, TD1 is my favorite by a wide margin.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

weird but apparently Travis was spelling out the words "Reggie Ledoux" using the universal language of interpretive dance. Weirdest of all it was with a Texas drawl.

Or maybe this season takes place in the same universe as the OA

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think it's ok so far, but just ok.
So much by the book, so much just kind of echoes from s1.

Oh, the protagonist is an rear end in a top hat to everyone, but that is because she has some tragic family story that we only know parts of? The protagonist has a fight with the boss over jurisdiction and does not want to give up the case? All the characters feel like characters you've seen before.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Odds are that it was the sort of thing you wouldn't disclose, at least right now. Probably "HBO didn't want to spend the money to secure the rights to the real posters we had up, and the only thing we could afford was cheap AI poo poo"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am ok with it so far, except for the totally forced and unnecessary connections to season 1 that I am sure HBO forced on the writers (the show was pitched as its own thing and not true detective).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think its fine so far, but yeah, it does feel like a 7/10 season.

Acting ranges from fine to very good. The forced references to s1 take me right out of the mood they are going for.

But for me, the biggest reason its fine but not great is that the story feels like it is going along some very well traveled paths.

Oh, a cop fighting with her superior over jurisdiction?

Oh, a protagonist who is an rear end in a top hat to everyone because of some alluded to but unexplored trauma?

Oh, artic exploration that might have come across some ancient life form?

Oh, a cop who is obsessed with an old case that was never solved?

Oh, a husband who is having a hard time balancing work and family life?

There's very little so far to indicate something truly new. Who knows, maybe episode 3 will be very different, but so far it feels like an extended, good but forgettable episode of the x files.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

mystes posted:

It is kind of funny that the absolute wackiest possibility at the extreme end that could possibly turn out to the the explanation in the show is essentially the exact thing that Fortitude already did in extreme detail

That's the thing, not just fortitude. It's also the exact plot of the x files episode Ice.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It's not just companies that demand that.

One of my favorite TV podcasts is these two guys that created a podcasting company called Bald Move. Their game of thrones podcast for some reason or another became one of the most popular GoT podcasts out there. And then in season 8 they, like much of everyone else, were very critical of the show. And so they were review bombed on apple pods, and are now super duper careful about saying anything remotely negative about any shows. Some manchildren take it very personally if someone else does not like their favorite piece of media.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think had this been a stand alone tv show it would have been received much differently. It's fine. It would be one of those "people obsess over it online for a week" if it had been a netflix show called night country.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Blue Nation posted:

I find this show just OK but HBO/WBD did it a disservice by having it be True Detective. If it was whatever López originally wrote with Jodie Foster in it people would have checked it out if only for Jodie Foster. Like I want to watch whatever The Regime will be just for Kate Winslet as a dictator.

This is my take as well. There is no way they will have a satisfying connection to s1. I am like 80% certain that 5 months from now we will have a tell all interview from Issa Lopez on all the crap the execs forced on the show to make it true detective. This a solid b-tier show. Honestly, not that far off from Mare of Eastown or any of these other one off crime stories. Its just that HBO saddled it with "is this the season where true detective recaptures the s1 magic?"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I don't think its just the crammed references that do it disservice. A massive part of S1 was the "is it supernatural or not" question. Meanwhile, in Tigers are not afraid the supernatural is just treated as magical realism, it just is. So people come into this season trying to have the same "is this supernatural or is there a reasonable explanation" mindset as season 1 when I think it is much more of a "spirits are real" type of story.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Cranappleberry posted:

as long as we can all admit the best screen version of sherlock holmes is robert downey jr.

Nicholas Rowe

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This season is fine. The reason it is not better is because it is too tropey. Cop fights superiors over jurisdiciton. Another cop fights spouse over dedication to the job. The setting may be different from other cop shows but is also, in its way, well traveled territory. The "innovation," so far, is the gender swap. The sexually aggressive cops who defy authority and fight for jurisdiction are women and the boss they fight against is a man. Which is fine, but not great. If not for the true detective brand, most people would have enjoyed it like the dozens of police procedurals that show up, capture people's imaginations for 2 months, and the fall off people's minds.

I do think that the true detective brand hurts the reception, though. If people thought of this show as "the TV show from the woman who did the magic realism horror movie" I think people would be a lot more willing to go along with the supernatural than when people think of "season 4 of the show that constantly suggested supernatural/demonic stuff before showing that it was all grounded in reality."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

People might have the wrong expectations though, considering all the three previous seasons have been very distinct from each other.

In terms of story, sure.

But season 1 and 3, the most high profile ones, both hinted at something ritualistic and had the main character see ghosts/weird poo poo. And in both cases it turned out that Marty and Hays had their own forms of brain damage to explain them seeing things and it was all pretty realistic and grounded.

So that inevitably sets up the expectations for this season.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Sure, but that is the point. Because it's under the brand true detective people are already looking at what is the real world explanation for the visions. Because that is the expectation.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This is still like a 7 out of 10 season for me. Its fine. Cs get degrees and all that. But I feel like sometimes it gets close to being very good instead of just ok. Like, the jump scare part of the last sequence takes so much away from the effectiveness of finding navarro later...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Robobot posted:

I don't think this started out as anything other than a True Detective show. It's very much onbrand for the series. Characters hallucinating has been a thing since the beginning, so the silly ghost stuff isn't anything new. And there's no way it's going to be actual ghosts, the killer is gonna be a blend of mental trauma and country bumpkin just like season 1. It's that season 1 feeling they've been trying to recapture (poorly) this entire season. If this started off as a different show then they were right to rename it since it's very obviously a season 1 rebrand attempt.

It's just not a very well written show, there's no need to make up excuses as to why.

We're not talking about speculation and what people think.

It's been confirmed by the showrunner for this season that it was pitched as a stand alone and whatever connections were added after the fact to fit what hbo wanted

https://ew.com/true-detective-night-country-silence-of-the-lambs-nods-chilling-new-season-8416223

quote:

One thing López didn't want to be compared to, at least at first, was to the first three seasons of True Detective. But, that's because when she envisioned the project originally, it had nothing to do with the show. López says she initially pitched an idea for a project called Night Country, which she describes as "a murder mystery in the ice," and it was HBO who suggested it could be True Detective instead — an idea she says never even crossed her mind. Once the two parties agreed, Night Country became True Detective: Night Country, and López had the unenviable task of "recalling what connected so powerfully with so many people around the world, but at the same time, doing it in your own voice and making it your own."

I still think that this season is fine, but not great. But I also think that it would have been received very differently if it was thought of as "the show from the person who did the tigers are not afraid" as opposed to "true detective, season 4"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Was this a banger? This might have been a banger.

Still a b- type of season because it could have been better paced, but this was good. It's also something that more tv writers should understand: if the plot moves along, people care less about plot holes.

Navarro's blown out ears? Didn't even think of that until way after the episode.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 10, 2024

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

frogbs posted:

I completely missed whatever this is about.

Best episode so far this season.

Last episode ends with Danvers finding Navarro sitting on the ground with blood streaming out of her ears. And then it wasn't mentioned again.

But again, the fact that this episode actually progressed poo poo means I didnt really care.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

grobbo posted:

John Hawkes has an interesting interview with GQ where he states that

the actors essentially workshopped and rewrote the ending of the episode together to make it 'more believable', including making the decision on the day of the shooting that Danvers should be unarmed.

It's a completely hacked-about scene in its final state:

-Why does Danvers keep telling Peter to 'think! Think!' when there's not really a narrative reason why he *would* shoot his dad dead on the spot and he never seems at risk of siding with Hank? Wouldn't she be better off telling Hank to lower his gun and confess?
- For the sake of dramatic tension, shouldn't we see Hank at least try to win his son over to his side? Not even a token bit of 'Danvers is the real murderer, son - you figured out she killed Wheeler, didn't you?'
- If Hank, accepting his likely fate, thinks it's worth confessing to the other characters that he didn't kill Annie K, does he maybe want to say who did kill her?
- Not even an effort to shoot your dad in the shoulder or something, Peter?
- Why is it so important to go to the ice caves now? Why can't it wait until the storm's passed and you've disposed of the body?

so you've got to wonder what it was like before.

The "think! think!" part comes as hank is telling him to help move the body. I took the "think" to mean "your father killed this guy in cold blood in front of me, helping him would mean siding with the mine and having to kill me"
Dude is about to commit suicide by cop, he's not trying to solve the case, just minimize his own guild.

Like, there are many legit problems with this season. The Navarro ice cracking scene was pretty bad. But at some point people are just finding things to nitpick.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

grobbo posted:

Gotta agree to disagree here. The show has in no way conveyed the idea that the mine is capable of suddenly reaching or sabotaging whatever's in the caves, or that they have additional forces at their disposal and ready to act. In fact, prioritising Navarro's plan and waiting until the bodies are discovered (rather than leaving a grieving and perhaps unreliable Peter alone to deal with it) theoretically puts our heroes in a far stronger position to advance the investigation, since suddenly there's irrefutable evidence that a corrupt cop shot the Ice Caves witness.*

*although why Navarro thinks that the body of Otis, shot with Danvers' gun in Hank's car, along with a missing Hank isn't going to just look like Danvers killed them both is completely beyond me.

My guy, he didn't use Danver's gun. He put Danver's gun behind his back, and then drew the gun from his holster on the right hand side. In an episode where they've just shown that the mine had been bribing the water results despite 9 deaths, blew up the entrance to the caves, and had the higher up chief of police essentially blackmail her to let the death of Annie go, and even sent her direct subordinate to just straight up murder a witness.

Like, it's not the best season, and has some glaring holes. But if youre going to nitpick, at least make sure not to make glaring errors such as confusing which weapon he was using.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
One of the big points of this latest episode is that Pete ran an in depth investigation of the killing of Wheeler, through which he concluded that either Wheeler or Navarro killed Wheeler and then covered it up. That investigation, which certainly took some time, and the findings of said investigation, are saved in his personal computer. It was enough of a thing that made his father suspicious enough to snoop around his laptop. Where it becomes clear that Pete is complicit in covering up a murder for his boss. Which leads me to think that maybe his wife was also aware, even if not of the specific details, but that there was some big deal thing between Pete and Danvers, where Pete was incredibly loyal to Danvers. Maybe that would explain the reason why his wife is upset specifically with him being unable to say no to Danvers, rather than just a matter of hours. Especially in a context where we learn that the reason she started liking him was because he put others well being above his own, except that now "above his own" includes his family.

Like, there are legit problems with pacing in this show. Legit problems with certain storylines being completely dropped or skipped. Legit awkward scenes (like the ice cracking scene). But a lot of the stuff in this thread is "the show only implied but didn't have a Dexter style monologue for me to understand something shown"

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think that is maybe an issue of casting and of John Hawkes being too nice to display actual malice.

Because "guy who took bribe to hide body for mine that is poisoning the town, beat his son for touching files, and then lost all his bribe money to his russian mail order bride who scammed him" strikes me very plausibly as a double murderer. Maybe they would have been better off swapping Hawkes and Ecclestone.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Despera posted:

Anyone know why Navarros sister was turned in 4 balls after cremation? They had to grind up the balls after that.

The balls are not Navarros sister. Burning the body leaves bone fragments, etc behind. So you put the sort of coarse remains you see in the beginning along with those balls in the tumbler like device so that those balls crush the fragments and pieces into the ash you see in the urns.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think season 1 is an A+ season. Season 2 is just incomplete for me. I found it so tedious that one weekend i simply forgot to watch it, and then a month later i went "oh yeah, that show"
Season 3 was a solid b- type of show. Season 4 so far is a c+, possibly b-, possibly d depending on how it lands.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This would have been totally fine as like a Netflix show that you can binge all at once without thinking too hard about it. Being on hbo, called true detective, week by week did it a disservice.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think this show has a very good central idea: poor, indigenous women are treated as invisible by society, so no one cares when one of them is murdered, but that invisibility then allows other women to exact vigilante justice back. This central, strong idea is saddled by lots of bad to terrible decisions at the micro level. That takes a show that could have been an all time great and brings it down for me to a c to c- cop show. I can quibble either direction, but it ends up in the neighborhood of the killing, season 3 of true detective or mare of easttown. Not terrible while watching, but probably the type of show Ill forget about for a few years.

As for the critical reception, this whole "critics are trying to be woke" discourse is annoying and tired.
The economics of TV criticism means that from a critic's perspective it is better to drop coverage than to savage a show you don't like. Pull up rotten tomatoes and you will see it. Season 11 of the x files was hot garbage and its "certified fresh." Every season of the walking dead is certified fresh. Last season of For All Mankind has 100%. It happens, no need to bring culture war bullshit into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

It's funny because to me it felt like the opposite. They had all this other stuff they wanted to do but didn't thread it together well, so we wind up spending a few episodes just kind of loving around with meh personal stories until they realize that they need to get back to the mystery.

I believe the show creator has confirmed that the pitch was pretty much "native women, who are invisible when they are the victims of violence, use that invisibility to take their revenge."
Then HBO pushed for the True Detective branding and that is when the rest of the story was filled in.