Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Whale Vomit posted:

The director revealing on social media that Travis is Rust's dad is something that actually does make the world feel small.

Ugh,I should have never come here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I hope the tuttles are a reference and not The Thing this season

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The_Rob posted:

I’m sorry but this sucks rear end.

:capitalism:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Haven't watched it in forever, but isn't a theme of season one that they fail completely to arrest the bulk of the bad guys and by the time they solve the case they're all pretty much dead save the one member they do catch?

Not dead but yeah
Marty shot the guy in the head so the trail stopped cold and when rust figured out they hosed up he got fired years later

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

S3 needed to lean more into the Atlanta child murders as an influence or reference but they pulled their punches on it for unclear reasons. Maybe they thought it would be too predictable, IDK.

Ali was good in it and so was Dorff. Lots of solid performances and the temporal jump framing worked well but plot wise it just didn't really have a hook.
I thought the ending was perfect honestly.
Would only be better if it was full momento and she recognized him and actually he solves this case regularly and everyone but him knows it and is in on it but let's him have his happy ending every few months

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 26, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Don't forget to schedule your colonoscopy, boomer

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cranappleberry posted:

aunt petunia is an mi6 operative, founder of the eponymous 12, travis cohle's lover and spiritual guru. you think this can't be a grand conspiracy? heh

It's enough to piss anyone off and become a space scavenger

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My thought that despite HBO and this thread calling it season 4 is actually a spin off show because no other season had a subtitle, and the intro isn't using double exposure. it also starts before the major crime

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mystes posted:

it's true detective, just not lawful good true detective

Is they were good detectives they would have solved it back in 95

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Snowmanatee posted:

My favourite theory from some random Reddit comment is Danvers is the one catfishing Hank. “Fantasy football” yeah right.

Is he getting catfished? Or just scammed

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Danvers hosed everyone.
Literally and metaphorically

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bright Bart posted:

Peter is Danvers' father

Time is a flat NuvaRing

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fullroundaction posted:

I rewound to make sure I wasn’t crazy, but why is Twist and Shout playing in Danver’s refrigerator.

It happened, it was on the subtitles

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cranappleberry posted:

it's a trigger phrase, you fools

I suddenly want to play a game of solitaire

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sensenmann420 posted:

Why do we think the two cops are helping eachother cover up a murder they did of the abuser dude? There was really nothing on screen to indicate this

She said that it was a murder suicide which doesn't flow with what we saw which was him alive when they got there

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GABA ghoul posted:

AAAAAH, this is literally how it works. You can't get access to an encrypted phone in theory, but in practice there are countless known exploits for specific older devices and Android versions that let you bypass the login & encryption. Especially for low end android phones from 2016 like in the show, it's very plausible that he found a working exploit after searching online for a while. It's literally as easy as putting it into Google.

People need to stop getting angry at this show over completely imagined plot holes. Wtf is happening

It's a plot hole because we're told it's an obstacle but never told how it's overcome. If it was that easy why did he say it wasn't, and if it wasn't then how did he do it so fast

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
We believe Navarro and Danvers hosed right

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Despera posted:

Would really like to see what Danvers tinder profile looked like.

Olga from Russia, matched with hawks

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GABA ghoul posted:

It's not an obstacle. The writers use the phone encryption/lock screen so that they don't have to deal with the information from the phone immediately when the phone is introduced, but when they actually want to and when it would be good for the story. It's one of the most basic storytelling techniques in the world. The goddamn Greeks did it already when Zeus was out of office for the day and Hercules had to come back the next day to speak to him or whatever

I wonder if there is a word for an obstruction in a linear path that serves to delay the protagonist. It really chaps my balls when it is so easy. Maybe a portmanteau of obstruction and testicle, obtesticle

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The heart is winning Marty

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Better than wishbone?
Data?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The cult didn't invent the crooked spiral or the yellow king. They were just using the iconography because they thought it looked neat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Like how modern satanism doesn't worship Satan, they just know using a statue of bophsmet will be offensive

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

my bony fealty posted:

It is OK to watch shows and criticize them for their positive and negative qualities

No, that's sickening

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lampsacus posted:

Agreed. It's both good on it's own and especially good after rummaging around this dude's psychology for the length of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9LWwhtfXpY

Why

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bright Bart posted:

Season 3's mystery is like the opposite of this season's, in so many ways.

It was an absolutely fine season.

The only thing I have against it is that the recap sites and Twitter took the exact wrong thing from the spectacular ending. 'Ooooh. So he never left Vietnam. This was all just in his head. Like a test for the afterlife.' No. That's not literal. I don't even care if Nic came out and says it was meant to be.

WHAT!?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lampsacus posted:

s1=they think they are dead but are alive
s2=they think they are alive but are dead (egypt mythos)

we can extend this but it doesn't really work lol:
s3=they think they are alive and are alive
s4=they think they are dead and are dead

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
why is everyone so insistent on a virus?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrMojok posted:

Nearly four seasons in, and they STILL haven’t shown us who the True Detective is.

e: also, from Reddit:

No one said it wasn't real (true, even) they just said it was boring

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The jump scares being more depressing than fearful is fine. Good even, imo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cranappleberry posted:

the ice represents ICE

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

HermitSupplier posted:

Makes me wonder how season 2 would have went if it leaned way more into the “secret occult history of the US transportation system”.

It would need to all take place in denver

e: the killings would be in the airport. They'd be FBI detectives and the aha moment is they're flying out and notice the layout is a swastika

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

pig labeled 3 posted:

Question for the showrunner, if this season is so "female" then why is the town called Ennis and not Aginna?

They invert it by being in Ennis, and not letting Ennis get inside them.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602139
S1

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That was a fast cremation. She just died yesterday, not even.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Am I going nuts or did they just film Danvers on a blue screen while she s talking to Otis?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ravenfood posted:

Pretty sure it was 5 days ago since the date is now Dec 31st, but I could be forgetting when she walks onto the ice.

Oh, yeah, basic math.
I thought for some reason Christmas was the 30th

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I didn't think that episode was so bad

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Who the gently caress is scraeming "WATCH A SHOW YOU LIKE" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never watch shows i like.

This is the fifth time you've made this post, are you ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Poo Detected